/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

> New Unearthed Arcana: Warlocks and Wizards.
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
> Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Sorcerers.
sgiz.mobi/s3/ede55d46dded

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
No OP question, since we'll be discussing recent UA anyway.

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf]
media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf]
twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/831210587862413312?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reposting from last thread

Just hit Bard 14, playing utility / face, which spells to take?

Previous picks: Counterspell, Haste, Bigby's Hand, Circle of Power

(As you can tell, I also enjoy picking spells that benefit from Jack of All trades)

I advise teleportation circle or word of recall.

So what needs to get fixed for this UA to get released as actual options?

My personal concern is the hundreds of paladin multicasses, but they are skipping Extra attack to get this if they plan to actually play it in a typical campaign.

What's the rest of the party like? No point wasting good slots.
Counter-spell and Haste are hard to argue almost any time though.

Armor of Agathys. It scales well with spell slots, has a long duration, and is never not useful.

Why are 5e maps so small? This is my first time trying to play premade campaigns, a everything feels like it takes place in a small ass room where there's no use in trying to maneuver because there's no space.

Running LMoP and I can agree. I would redraw them, but then all of the detail would be gone.

To prevent the party from kiting everything to death.

Because they need to fit on your table, user.

Giving PCs range is dangerous, cause if everyone has a ranged capability, and the enemy is 120 feet away, that's a surprise round, and 2 turns dashing to get to them. 3 turns of total barrages tends to put down anything with less than 100 health, and anything else is 1 turn away from following suit.

Yup, battles are meant to be challenging and exciting, not dull and boring.
It's fantasy and its enjoyable for both the DM and the players, at least the ones that isn't autistic about playing medieval fantasy sniper camping in le forest.

I already have teleportation circle from the bard spell list

Moon Druid, Devotion Paladin and Champion Fighter. Sometimes there's a ranger, but not a lot of times

My party's paladin has acquired a blessing, or a curse rather, that affects his weapon. I need some suggestions for a special ability for the weapon.
He's a vengeance paladin that loves to use thunderous smite so some lightning/thunder related stuff would be appropriate. Preferably something that integrates into the paladin skillset, not just "XdX lightning damage when you hit badddies".
So far I only got shit like the Vow of Enmity target getting hit by lightning if they try to flee from the paladin, but that's pretty basic too.

>120 feet away
>Not mentioning how new better-than-sorcerers Lore Mage can put them down from a MILE away.

Space monk-sorcerers raining death from orbit when?

I need help.

I'm currently a 4th level Fighter who took the Dual-Wield archetype. (Yeah I know...)

I'm a Black Dragonborn who is leaning more towards the Evil Alignment. Who just recently finished LMoP and are expanding into my DMs homebrewed campaign.

My Stats are as follows: 19, 14, 18, 15, 11, 15.

I'm Torn between Sorcerous Shadow Origin UA [media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf] and Artificer UA [media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf] as my second classes.

Sorcerous Origin (Shadow Sorceror)
- Become Shadowstuff
- 1st lvl 60ft Perm Darkvision
- Strength of the Grave (At 0 HP, CON/save to stand back up)
- Hound of Ill Omen (Shadow Dire Wolf stat companion. 3 Sorc Pts)
- Shadow Walk (Can Teleport 120ft between shadows/Dim-light/Darkness as bonus action. Infinitely. No Cost.)
- Shadow Form (Become Immune to all damage except for Force and are incorporeal for 1 Minute. Infinite Uses, 3 Sorc Points per use.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Artificer
- Can Make Magical items at 2nd, 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th.
- 5th level Superior Attunement. (Attune 4 Magical items at 5th, 5 Items at 15th, 6 Items at 20th.)
- Infuse Item (Can put a Spell into any item of my choosing for 8 hours. 1/time use. Takes a Minute to cast each time until I run out of slots.)
- Mechanical Servant. (Can make a Clockwork/Clockwork Companion, Large Beast... Thinking a Large Crocodile... Picked Polar Bear stats... Can also ride it as a mount... 40ft land... 30ft Swim. It also has CONSTRUCT properties.)
- 20th Level, Gain +1 Saving Throw for each attuned Item.

I'm leaning towards the Sorceror variant. I like playing "Gish's", melee fighters who can cast spells. Yet I also like the bonuses Artificer provides.

I'm wondering on input from you guys? Am I missing anything here that may change my mind? I really don't want to regret this later on.

Speaking of battles, is it wise to hide DM rolls in a battle? I've been letting my dice roll in the open, at least in battles, since I started shortly ago, and it's either the party effortlessly sweeping enemies in every encounter, or me rolling critical streaks and doing massive damage.

>So much salt from the sorcerer snowflakes over Loremaster

All maps for premade campaigns regardless of the system are pretty small.

Maps are usually drawn up in the first place because it's small and convenient to add detail that's easily appended with unique interactions, smaller adds tension and creates a cinematic flair. The big picture non-confined stuff is either usually ad-libbed by the GM to keep things running smoothly or taking place in written text elsewhere in the module that doesn't really need a map to go by. There's also an assumption that the area the map takes place in (if it is outdoors) is the area to be guarded by NPCs, meaning the PCs are freely able to see the outside area of what's on the map while still being undetected outside of the edges of the map, and their tokens should only enter in when the plan has been formed and battle initiated.

Now! With the UA that just came out yesterday!

Depend on your group and how much control you want over the flow of the campaign and the how well your friends take towards their characters dying in battle and requiring resurrection.

Book say hide and fudge but I don't because I am a sadist DM who loves to challenge the table to bloodbaths.

The new pact weapon buffs, +1,+2 and +3 does it mean that they give both attack roll and damage roll bonus?

And they stack so u can get +6?

I've always thought Sorcerers were snowflake faggots for people who can't just play a normal wizard and even I'm salty about the Lore Master.
>"Hurrdurr I hit you with a strenght-save Feeble Mind spell from a mile away!"

The fuck were they thinking? I like wizards and all, but please save me from this Pathfinder-tier game design where they're so good that other classes might as well not even fucking play.

We would need spells that reach about 250 miles to make it work.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

>When the target of vow of enmity is hit by a Divine Smite, or Smite Spell, the target cannot use their reaction.

That's easy and simple, shocking grasp adaptation.

>The Paladin gains an aura of the storm, which allows a new channel divinity option. When this channel divinity is activated, winds swirl around the paladin's aura. Ranged attacks against targets inside the circle are made with disadvantage, and the paladin is aware of any creatures within the aura. This channel divinity lasts for 1 minute. While not in use, clouds and even rain clouds can form above the paladin when outside.

They do not stack. You replace the one as you level.

That sound pretty cool. The paladin would probably like it too so I'll probably roll with that. He seems pretty reluctant to use his channel divinity on small fry anyway so that might open some options for him.

>Calls out "Pathfinder-tier game design"
>Hating the player and not the game.

That pic is pretty priceless though.

I tried to fix it here.

Oh joy, because we didn't get enough people plugging their crappy front-loaded homebrew last thread...

It's because 5e is garbage.

Bullshit. Much larger rooms can fit on a table. I've had a standard 2' x 2' erasable mat that easily fit in a good sized dungeon with sizeable rooms. In different sections, but still. Learn to design a fucking map properly, WotC. They haven't had to do any real game design in years because the competition doesn't even begin to approach threatening them, so they think they don't even have to try. And it shows. They made a bland, risk-free edition that turned out to be good solely because of its risk-free simplicity, and because of Magic Missile being fixed. That is it. There is nothing new, fresh, or original in 5e's design.

>Hexblade warlock
Forgive me if this was discussed earlier, but I'm not autistic enough to hunt through old threads.

It seems like the rules of the UA don't explicitly say your patron is part of your equipment, or an explicit limit on what your weapon can be. Going by the patron, however, as well as the Hex Warrior feature, can we assume that the Hexblade starts with a non Two-Handed melee weapon of their choice that acts as their patron?

Am I the only one that thinks lore isn't actually that good? Illusion and divination are still better.

>Pathfinder General attempts to "raid" 5E General.

Not all sentient weapons are sword-shaped. Think more anime.

You cannot do column spacing for shit, and your line spacing is similarly fucking terrible. Use a normal font, a smaller font size, and you can fit this garbage on one page instead of wasting two sheets of paper that no one will read anyway.

Also, giving a Sorcerer a spellbook completely defeats the fucking purpose of sorcerer. Your Loremaster ability is broken as fuck and just goes to show how 5e can't even stick to its core mechanic: it realizes how bad the one-bonus-fits-all proficiency mechanic is, and tries to get around it by doubling it.

Ah, the emissary from /pfg/ is here.

Holy shit.

That was not an answer to my question.

As far as we can tell the weapon you get is normal, and the patron is not in your possession. It just makes no sense for such a powerful magical weapon to be in the hands of a level one character.

That said, someone WILL contradict me on this.

He's not wrong though, if he is probably a degenerate furfag.

Being able to switch the save on a spell means that if you know an enemy's class or even just have a good feel for the monster manual, you can pretty much hit a stat you KNOW they'll fail.

From a mile away.

Element-changing including radiant damage is also bullshit, but mainly it's the two things listed above. And how element changing and the psudeo meta-magic is stepping all over Sorcerer's niche.

To those who are upset about the Lore Wizard, this is the reason for Unearthed Arcana. Be sure to take the survey so Wizards knows this is a problem.

The changes I am gonna suggest:

Limited number of usages changing damage types, Int mod maybe or Prof. Saves can only be swapped with saves of a similar type, Wis saves can only be made into Int & Cha. Dex saves can only be made into Str and Con.

Change the damage from 2d10 to 2d6 and you can pick the type.

Triple the range of the spell, make Touch spells a range of 30 feet.

Make bonus action switch spell an action.

Survey is there for a reason don't just hate it but do nothing about it.

But your "argument" gets blown the fuck out when I reveal that I don't like or play Pathfinder either.

Of course it isn't. It's reading books as opposed to creating things out of nothing. No shit it sucks. That's the problem, these days, and the reactionary issue that came from 3.5-bashing, that all options should be equally-viable. No they fucking shouldn't, Your hand-axe throwing dwarf is NOT going to be as effective as an elf with a longbow or crossbow. End of story. Your hobbing dual-wielding iron pans is not going to be as effective as a greatsword warrior. Your mage who focuses on wielding the power of "muh knowledge" is not going to be as effective as someone who can cast phantasmal killer. Which, knowing 5e, has probably been reduced to "you take 5d6 necrotic damage because this game is incredibly pussified, because actually endangering the PCs is unfun and makes for a hostile play environment"

You don't necessarily have to wield it, just to have made a bargain with a cursed weapon strong enough to offer you power.

I figured that it'd be a sort of avatar of the actual thing. Like it bestows a fragment of its power to a potential wielder, which manifests in the form of a mechanically ordinary weapon but is still something that binds you to it in a way.

>Playing damage-control THIS hard.
>Possible actually being this retarded instead of purposely trolling?

If you hate 5e so much, please kindly fuck off to another thread then and spew your diarrhea there. GURPS sounds like a game for you. Nobody is forcing you here.

Addendum: This means the weapon in question (let's just say Blackrazor for lack of creativity) could theoretically give multiple hexblades these little fragments of itself, and then by process of elimination weed out the ones too weak to carry it (ie: dead fuckers and people who stop leveling warlock) while awarding more of its powers to more worthy subjects, perhaps even letting the strongest among them carry its true form.

Your answer is no. You cannot assume they start with their patron as an item. Your patron is too tsundere to start as an item.

That's totally fine to do, although it's kind of weird that it isn't magical until at least level 3. It works pretty well with Pact of the Blade though.

if you're so mad about this game why are you in 5eg

Hm-m-m-m, I wonder who could be behind this pots.

>although it's kind of weird that it isn't magical until at least level 3
Big Daddy Wizardsword gives you an upgraded replica.

I second this interpetation

I want a Fey themed party. Which classes can go Fey? Bard, Druid, Warlock. Any other Fey based classes?

>When I reveal that I don't like or play Pathfinder

Lol, I get it, you're like basically everyone on /v/, right? You supposedly don't play videogames, but you'll go on a multi-page rant about why a game that's not even out yet is shit and how everything sucks... yet you're still hanging around /v/ to talk about this thing you hate on a daily basis for some reason.

Yes what you are missing is Hex/Hunter's Mark. The way that dual wielding works is you get damage off hitting with an attack, spells and abilities like that are similar to those two spells.

Rangers do dual wielding pretty well cause of hunter's mark and their damage that procs off of attacks.

I don't recommend you skipping level 5 for another attack, but if you really want to multiclass, Warlock may be your best bet for Hex. Your charisma probably isn't terrible since you are a dragonborn, and your damage dice will thank you.

If you are really stuck on those, shadow sorcerer I guess is your best bet.

Paladin with oath of ancients can do it.

Wizard sword?
...Wizsword?

Paladin Oath of the Ancients works pretty well

Why does Christ-chan look like that? I know a lot of well adjusted and nice Catholic girls.

Because the Catholic girls that barely suppress a tremendous need for violence, hedonism and general degeneracy through constant attempts to pray it away are hot.

Paladin has Oath of Ancients. Fluff change and you have a strong contender.

>I literally stopped reading at the first argument when the retard claimed Crossbows were a "false option" and inferior to longbows in every situation.

Anyone who's actually played 5e with people who know what they're doing knows that Crossbow Master makes crossbows far far better by allowing them a bonus attack when no such option exists for other ranged weapons.

>where the fuck is kitsune?

Holy shit this, I played AL with a guy coming from pathfinder and he kept complaining he couldn't play his female kitsune priestess

I would laugh if it werent so sad and creepy

Of all the monster races and monstergirls, why a fucking kitsune?

>Barbarian
Totems
>Bard
EZPZ
>Cleric
Trickery domain
>Druid
EZPZ
>Fighter
Maybe something with the Eldritch Knight?
>Monk
Do people still play these?
>Paladin
Oath of Ancients
>Ranger
EZPZ
>Rogue
Arcane Trickster
>Sorcerer
If you fluffed the bloodline right
>Warlock
Fey
>Wizard
Illusionist or Enchanter

First of all, sheets of paper? Are you printing this out?

Second, it's still a wizard archetype.

>TFW when literally every Kitsune player I've ever seen (that wasn't playing a pedobait loli) used art of Ahri from League of Legends.

oath of ancient as stated above and also nature clerics.
Barbarians and rangers while not necessarily Fey do tend to be fluffed with strong ties to nature.

Umm Rogue Expertise?

I believe it's a CN trickster sex symbol with smug face as pretty much a race feature.

It's very very anime. And waiting material.

I played one pathfinder game and the guy was alright I just had a general distaste for the slutty kitsune he was playing.

> if you don't like a game you are not allowed to talk about it

Nice newthink, O'Brien.

Crossbows are mostly fucked because of action economy. But the dev is otherwise correct, that a weapon should be realistically viable. Crossbows are a separate issue since they *were* used in medieval combat. But dual-wielding throwing axes? Nah.

This has nothing to do with /v/. And 5e has been out for 2 years now. It's even shittier than the playtest was. Somehow it actually went backwards in quality. Leave it to the lazy-ass grognards who look at games designed in the early-2000s and think "hmm maybe if I sneak this in to the new edition of D&D people will think it's an original concept!" while still containing absolute garbage like spell-matrix vancian magic and hit dice.

What's hilarious is he could easily fluff a fey pact warlock with a tome pact and say the fox-like traits came from one of those "blessing and a curse" things fey like to bestow on people, use Magic Initiate and/or the tome pact to get some cleric magic up in there and all else fails multiclass to a cleric of whatever deity fit the character.

Hell, dull down the fox bits (human with ears, weird eyes + a tail per X levels, maybe) and give them a fox mask they wear because weeaboo shit. It looks anime as fuck but it's not the weirdest shit a PC can pull off.

Seconding this, there is nothing hotter than a buttoned-up religious girl showing her true nature through the cracks and eventually sucking your dick in bible camp

Furry
>Check
Anime shit
>Check
Waifubait
>Check
Special Snowflake magical racial powers
>Check
Extremely popular anime or videogame representative.
>Check
Pathfinder generally being full of weebs and grognards
>Check
Lots of lewd art of said character existing
>Check
Lots of loli art of said character existing
>Check

Ok then scratch that, and also what the fuck is the point of the ability then?

You also failed to address your shitty column spacing. Fix it.

I know what Rogue Exeprtise is, dumbfuck. What the fuck do you think I was referring to when I was talking about OFFICIAL 5e content? The expertise completely fucks with muh preshuss boundid accurassy but Wizards doesn't care because it doesn't actually know how to balance a core mechanic. That's why a level 20 rogue is only 20% better at picking locks than a level 1 rogue. And a level 1 rogue is only 10% better at picking locks than the average dumb fuck commoner.

pssst user the image is about PF

Can we get a Roll20 map repository going? Worst thing about playing online is that all my players want cool maps and i don't have the time and skill to make it, so i tend to DM WotC adventures.

>the cleric wears lingerie under her robes

>if you don't like a game you are not allowed to talk about it

That's not what they're saying at all. They're saying if you hate religion, find something better to do than going to a church and ranting about why you hate religion, then crying when the call the police to escort your retarded ass off the property.

Fuck, I'd say you're baiting, but somehow I get the impression you're actually for-real this retarded. You have my pity, honestly.

Sorc3/Wizard6, Distant Spell Metamagic + Alchemical Casting to have any Touch spell have a range of 1 mile. What could be fun/broken spells?

Back to /pfg/.

I'd be sorely tempted to clone a baby version of the nearest noble.

>new player wants to join my campaign
>Never played before
>Kinda hard to fit him in
>Enjoys the very limited time he gets

>Starts messaging me at all fucking hours
>"CAN I BE A WIZARDY ROGUE?"
"yes when you multi-class at level 5"
>"CANT I BE ONE AT THE START!?"
"no, but there is the arcane trickster route to go dow-"
>"IT'S INTEGRAL TO MY BACKSTORY"
"How?"
>At this he drops his entire background, of how he was a fallen prince from an unknown land and how he has MANY. Magical items that guide him through life including a sentient warhammer that only he can wield.
>Mildly surprised it wasn't a katana.
>"My backstory also has a minigame!"

My life is suffering.
Of a party of 5 only 1 is a normal chill dude.

>That's not what they're saying at all.

Except it's exactly what you're saying in a pathetic attempt to ignore addressing what I am saying.

twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/831210587862413312?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Nuclear Druid still reign supreme.

So you really ARE retarded. Thanks for clearing that up, I'll stop answering your bait now.

>it's okay if you penetrate my rear, user, Jesus won't mind as long as I stay a virgin

Normally you can only add leveled spells to a spellbook, and your prepared cantrips are fixed. Given the class is supposed to be about mastery of the fundamentals of magic, I thought it made more sense to expand the capability of the wizard's cantrip casting.

Or just play a Changeling and say that your true form's a foxy humanoid instead of a featureless grey humanoid.

>find a powerful opponent
>burn 5k GP
>gate them to Asmodeus' doorstep
>close gate

Another non-argument.

Sounds like a pretty weak ability.

>can't multiclass at level 5

Wow. This game sucks.

Anyone make a UA sorcerer yet? I'm deciding on Phoenix and Dragon:

Stop replying to him user. It's a custom in /pfg/ that when a guy post a smug anime girl face, he's admitting his defeat in the argument.

Although if you reply to his post, the table will be turned and he will be wining instead.

Why do you think they post smug anime girl on there all the time?

There's no rule that says you can't multiclass as early as second level. Presumably his character was starting at level 4.

I made a stone sorcerer. For some reason I gave him a lot of lightning/thunder spells on top of the earth and stone spells I could manage.

It's a pretty fun thing to play. AC 17 at first level, a lot of area denial and decent control mixed into beating on people with a flail and shield.