Dark Sun General

> I live in a world of fire and sand. The crimson sun scorches the life from anything that crawls or flies, and storms of sand scour the foliage from the barren ground.
> Lightning strikes from the cloudless sky, and peals of thunder roll unexplained across the vast tablelands.
> Even the wind, dry and searing as a kiln, can kill a man with thirst.

DARK SUN GENERAL!

2e, 3e, Savage Worlds, 5e, I don't care, get on in here!

I'm currently running a 5e Dark Sun Game. I'm new to the setting, but it's really awesome so far. I kinda wanted a thread just for the setting, but I do have a question:

What are some of the more uncommon races of Athas?

Like, there's the Aarakocra, and the Pterrans. Are the Tari still around? Can you play a Tarek? What about a Silt Strider?

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jZ_-uYQxf8XzFpX2x6VVlicEk/view
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BydFSqVBg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> Silt Strider

Sorry, meant Silt Runner. Though Silt Striders would be a neat addition to the Dark Sun world...

Shameless bump.

Speaking of this image though, just recently my party stole some Erdlu from a tribe of Tareks. I really like how Athas feels without all of the "normal" animals there, very alien.

> Pls bump

I don't know, a lot of the "uncommon races" are kind of just like orc variants are to other worlds. Not terribly interesting.

How about Belgoi?

We need Thri Kreen.

We need crazy cannibal halflings.

We need Mules.

We need desert runner elves.

I was actually thinking of trying to do something with the setting the other day, but 4e isn't my style, and while it's possible to do it for 5e there isn't too much direct content right now, right? How's your 5e game btw?

Were there any good modules for the setting in 2e I could rip from /osrg/? I feel like I would really want to find a good mechanical balance for how it SHOULD be before I try to dm it.

I admittedly know next to nothing about how it ran in 2e. I wrote up my own sort of homebrew for it, based off another guy's version.

> Original Version I Found
drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jZ_-uYQxf8XzFpX2x6VVlicEk/view

> My Version
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BydFSqVBg

Mine isn't necessarily better, it just fit my needs and my group better. I'm still working on it - might rewrite the races soon.

But so far my game has gone well - I have one guy playing a Monk (I call them Battleminds and refluffed them as being Psionic rather than Ki powered), and another guy playing a Mystic from the playtest, and they work pretty well.

I love Dark Sun.

That's all I've got to say right now.

I'd love to run a Dark Sun campaign, though it sounds like a bit more work, since I feel like I'd have to enforce food/water/weight rules that I hand-wave in my FR campaigns.

Also, I wanna read more fluff on the setting, outside of the standard liberation of Tyr stuff. What are the best supplements modules for expanding the setting?

Muls, not Mules.

The /OSR/ thread has a Treasure Trove with basically all of the Dark Sun books in it.

mega(dot)nz/#F!7xdGUDaR!DAHjel-07Eq__KdJAHPgXw!ColkiAZb

I'm admittedly not super aware of the setting myself - I've been running a pretty standard "Tyr just got its Sorcerer King ganked, wat do?" campaign while I read more about it.

I know there are bandaids to forward port Dark Sun to 5e but are there ports to adapt it to 0E basic D&D?

Seconding this request, love dark sun and love osr

Why do people on athas insist on running around in a bikini or banana hammock only? shouldn't they cover up in a scorching desert setting?

Extremely amatuer DM here wondering how to reward my players for visiting schools. They just arrived in Nibenay at the end of their sec9nd game and our psion wants to visit the school of Augers during our next session Besides using it as a quest starting point, what sort of tantilizing benefits can I offer so that they actually learn something?

I've already used them in my campaign that I'm DMing, since one of the players is a huge Morrowind fan

I use the hackmaster system of training. If they spend enough time (and money) between levels training at some school or similar place, they get benefits related to that place. Possibly a specific weapon proficiency or some other skill.

But since that system probably won't apply in any normal sense to your game, look at the description. The School of Augurs is the second largest school for psionic instruction in Nibenay. The head master is a dwarf named Djef, who developed a scheme to help support the school by hiring out its students to transfer telepathic messages and to teleport‐deliver small parcels.

So you have possibilities there, your psion can pay to learn to transfer telepathic messages or teleport small objects if they don't already know these abilities, or they can earn a bit of extra money hiring themselves out to the school as one of their deliveryboys if they already do.

Lastly, if it's clear they're unaffiliated and new to town, and since Djef seems extremely business oriented and interested in stifling the competition, they could be offered a (or a series of) covert missions (probably spying, maybe sabotage, and possibly theft) against the rival monastery of the Exalted Path.

BARSOOM

Bump