/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

> New Unearthed Arcana: Warlocks and Wizards.
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf

> Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Sorcerers.
sgiz.mobi/s3/ede55d46dded

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> 5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Frostrazor
wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is it viable to go single class samurai fighter?

Yes. It's 5e. Everything is viable.

Napkin math.

Anons? Simple query: I know the DMG has rules for Blackrazor, Wave and Whelm, but do you think it'd be possible to update Frostrazor to 5e too?

1d4chan.org/wiki/Frostrazor

The lore wizard is everything I wanted in a wizard flavor wise. Idc if it ends up OP or not it's perfect mechanics for portraying someone who has studied the very stuff of magic

>everything

Eeeeh.

You filthy liar.

So what's the best choice here? Warlock 5 Stone Sorcerer 15 sounds pretty tough.

Reposting because Chrono Trigger
Remember that not everything actually contributed to a dual or triple tech. Some were gained early (Aura Whirl and Triple Raid) while others came later (Double Bomb and Omega Flare). Each character combination would only ever get 3 dual techs with each other character and 1 triple tech (if even)

I would have the players designate a specific action/maneuver/spell that they'd be willing to create a tech with, and pair it with another player. 2-3 Dual techs with each, one triple tech per unique pairing (assuming you have more than 3 players). Let them spend some time to create something interesting that you can approve, and then let them go ham. Many dual/triple techs weren't actually more damage than just having the characters attack alone so you don't need to put too many restrictions on their use. One of the actions is considered the "Base" while the other action(s) augment. So lets say you're combining a Battlemaster's Sweeping Attack with Sorcerer's Firebolt. The Sweeping Attack is the base action, and the Firebolt augments. The Sweeping Attack deals damage as normal, and the Firebolt's damage is added onto the Sweeping Attack minus the damage dice (CHA to damage, additional Fire damage, etc but not the Firebolt's d10s). Now you have a burstier, fiery Sweeping Attack with more utility, but your cost is two player's actions and less total damage (just like CT itself). I'd look at the new UA Lore Wizard's spell augmentation for a rough guideline for Tech creation. Change damage type once, change area of effect/range/etc once.

Another game that tried to use multi-player combos was Guild Wars 2. They aren't overly fantastic, but they needed to be MMO friendly. If you want ad hoc combos, you could look into GW2's system for inspiration as its pretty good for the ad hoc style. wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

I play a monk. I enjoy playing as a monk. I am doing good in the game as a monk.

COME AT ME VILLAIN

>there will never be a 5e Spelljammer campaign book

A monk is very viable

Does the Stone Sorcerer's AC with Stone Durability include DEX? In other words, is it 13+CON+DEX or only 13+CON?

Good riddance. We might get an Eberron campaign book, though, since we're getting artificers and...

Hold on, Raven Queen isn't an Eberron deity?

No, just 13 + con.

No. It change how your AC calculate. It's 13+CON now. No DEX.

There is a sageadvice on it.

Why do people keep asking this question? People want to LOLSTACK AC Since PHB (with mage armor, monk and barbarian).

The answer will still be the same no matter what.

I thought she was a Points of Light deity.

I guess I must have confused her with Vol. I don't play official settings.

The best choice depends on what level you start at, and what level you'll reach in good time. If your game ends at 5 then straight Warlock is probably the best. If it ends at 8-9 then Warlock 5, Fullcaster 3 has a smoother progression of power than Warlock 3, Fullcaster 6 (one that has Extra Attack at 6 like Valor Bard, or Bladesinger). If it'll go even further than that then Warlock 3, Fullcaster X probably has the most power, but I think the higher level you start to go the more you want to be a Wizard bending reality, and putting people in mazes while you retire to your magical mansion with 100 ghost maids.

It's definitely way more powerful than the other traditions, but I love it.

Also wizards should have always had expertise in arcana, as if a fucking rogue knows more about magic than a wizard.

What are good spells for a level 3 Deep Stalker Conclave archer ranger?

I already have Disguise Self (free), Goodberry, and Hunter's Mark.

If I want to use a spell for combat, it will be Hunter's Mark.

What should my final spell be? I was considering Speak with Animals, because I could use Primeval Awareness to get the gist of an animal's mood, then cast Speak with Animals for finer details.

This will be a wilderness exploration campaign.

Whats the best time to start introducing +2 weapons/armor to the story. PCs currently at level 9

She's a Points of Light/Dawn War deity. In Eberron she might have a palace on Dolurrh but she probably wouldn't have deity levels of power due to how the setting treats gods.

Hell, she could even be treated as a particularly old and powerful dragon who hates the undead and often takes the form of a raven.

You're not going to just give them literal +2, no fluff weapons, right? Also there's no magic item balance, just fit the game to the power you want them to have at a given moment.

I have a mirror of Truesight and I keep trying to use it at every opportunity. Looking at doors, objects, people, etc..
I've been playing it off that I'm very vain and I'm looking at myself in the mirror, I'm an elf so it works.
I have yet to see anything weird in the mirror. The only real use I've got out of it is looking under the door of the room the party rogue is in to get recon on trying to steal the cursed amulet that is driving him insane.
Do you guys know of some stuff in particular that I should be examining?
The DM gave it to me for a reason, right?

When I mean introduce I meant the possibility of finding one. I dont intent on giving them stuff for free

Especially stupid because no GM would just ignore it.

At worst, the GM just adds a certain amount of PB to all enemies so they can still hit you, which means your friends will likely be hit all the god damn time.

At best, he decides the encounters are too easy, and throws bigger and more dangerous stuff at you, AGAIN to the detriment of the rest of the party.

You can't win. You are fucking it over, no matter what you do. No GM would just let you be an invincible dude.

This isn't like the "I want +20 to sneak" or some other skills - skills are fine being good at, because they make you good in certain niche situations.

Being hit on a 18+ by most common enemies, will break a very core and central part of the game.

Be happy that they hardcapped AC like this.

I think Speak With Animals would be a bit redundant.

Anyone compiled those maps from the prrvious threads?

While the glaring disparities between martials and casters have certainly shrunk since the days of 3.PF, I'm still inclined to give martials buffs. What if when Fighters gained Indomitable at 9th level, they could choose one of three effects?

>Before rolling for a saving throw, you may choose instead to succeed on that saving throw.
>Until the end of your next turn, before making an attack roll, you may instead declare that attack to be a critical hit.
>You may gain advantage on all ability checks for one minute.

Just off the top of my head. Has this actually broken anything?

Probably not. But I've been posting them all day, so hopefully someone was working on it.

How about just declare the attack to be a hit?

Making martials stronger in combat isn't the reason for Caster-Martial Disparity. Fighters are already far far better in combat than casters.

The primary source of Caster-Martial Disparity is that casters are still far more versatile OUTSIDE of combat. The amount of spells that outright replace skills entirely or can end encounters/skill checks/obstacles with almost zero effort is where the disparity comes from. Teleporting past obstacles, using invisibility in place of stealth, using charm magic in place of having to persuade or earn someones trust, ect.

Martials don't need combat buffs. They are universally great in combat. They deal loads of damage, and when they don't have they have defensive, mobility, or utility options in combat to make up for it.

It's out of combat where they need some help. Let barbarians move house-sized boulders, let fighters cross huge gaps and climb sheer cliffs, let monks dash on raindrops, let rogues smoothtalk their way through impossible situations. Be lenient when they want to do cool shit.

To be fair, 5e at least tells you in most Charm Spells that people will realise afterwards mind rape happened and will be angry.

Stop.

How do Green Flame Blade or Booming Blade interact with Eldritch Knights above 7th? Do they get a free bonus action attack off of using it?

>When you use your action to cast a cantrip.
You used your action to cast a cantrip.

That's unbelievably dope.

Where exactly does it say this? The "Friends" cantrip appears to be the only one the explicitly states this.

I seem to remember reading something about the rules regarding squeezing.

Can someone tell me where to find that or that I'm insane?

>Hexblade Blade/Stone sorcerrer
>Hexblade lvl 1 ability allows you to use Cha for attack and damage rolls with your weapon.
>Stone sorcerrer gives you extra Hp, proficiencies and a Con based unarmoured feature that works with shields.

All achievable in a lvl2 PC.
Delicious.

Charm person does as well

It's better than the Attack action for a few levels, yes.

You can't multiattack with it

The melee attack is part of casting the spell, yes, so you may make one melee attack when casting the spell.

That being said, since you're using your Action to cast a cantrip, you only make your melee attack once. You don't get the benefit of your Extra Attack feature like you would if you just melee attacked normally.

Huh, just realised Tabaxi have a climb speed. I've been looking for more ways to get it on characters because I love it.

I'm playing either a Tabaxi Swashbuckler or Deepstalker next. What do people think?

Can I make my Unseen Servant stand in front of a doorway after we enter a room so that someone/something trying to sneak after us from behind would trip over or bump into it?

Also charm condition inly give you advantage on persuasion check. You still need to nake that check

Best way to make use of this is using disguise. Can't hate you if they don't know you.

They can't trip over a shapeless force

I'd say so.

Hey /tg i was wondering can you cast a spell that doesn't generate a shiny stuff and require chanting to be cast silently? So no one can notice or are there rules that already discuss them? [Spoiler] i'm to lazy to re-read the PHB again [/spoiler]

Depend on the context. If there is a somatic or material component, some people will see you doing weird gesture while casting.

They can get force applied to their foot.

Play Sorcerer.

You have to do the components listed on the spell unless you are a sorcerer with subtle spell.

Friendly, hightlight + ctrl-S reminder

So I've been reading through the Lost Mines of Phandelver starter set I'm going to run (total noob GM here) and it seems fine. But when the players get to Cragmaw Castle, the main villains, if alerted, can hold an npc hostage and they will kill him if the pc's don't back off.
Thing is, when my players inevitably get into this hostage situation, I have no idea how to resolve it. Would the players just have to leave? Is there any way to keep the hostage alive?

Hostage takers have a goal. If their entire goal is "go away", they'll never release them. Otherwise, let them give the PCs a task to complete.

My character needs to get revenge on a sort of BBEG (who isn't evil, just opposed to my character specifically).

He's a criminal mastermind, and he stole all my character's stuff, but may potentially treat him cordially and be willing to meet.

Now, I have explosives in one of the safe houses he manages, but he probably won't come to the house. I could find out where he conducts some of his operations, but I won't necessarily be able to sabotage it in advance.

How can I lure him into a trap and blow him up?

the capitalization means its probably a phone

So, as a guy who's playing an Undying Warlock, I'm rather annoyed they got no new invocations, while the Seeker which is unofficial did. As such, I tried my hand at homebrewing a few equivalents (one that only requires Undying Patron, Pact of Blade one, Eldritch Blast one, etc) and would like some reviews from Veeky Forums.

Reaper's Gaze
Prerequisites: Undying Patron, Eldritch Blast Cantrip
Your patron teaches you how to infuse negative energy into your Eldritch Blast attacks. A creature hit by your Eldritch Blast must make a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC. If it fails, it has disadvantage on all saving throws until the end of your next turn or you use Eldritch Blast on a different target. If it succeeds on the throw, it is immune to the effect for the next 24 hours.

Bloodrinker Axe
Prerequisites: Pact of the Blade, Undying Patron
When you create your Pact weapon, you can have it take the form of a Battleaxe with a handle of monster bones. If you wield it two handed, you deal critical hits on a 19 or 20. When you make an attack with it, you can expend a spell slot to deal an extra 2d8 Necrotic damage per spell level and you gain temporary hit points equal to half the damage dealt.

Using warlock spell slots?
Why would you steal what little the class has?

Map user, I appreciate your generosity.

Face of Death
Prerequisites: Pact of the Undying
You gain advantage on all Constitution checks, due to your unnatural unlige.

In terms of balance by itself, I think it's alright. But compared to the other ones we got in the UA, it's definitely the strongest.

Likewise. I'd say ditch the critical ability - that's more in line with the Hexblade abilities. The Pact Weapon abilities on offer are more "slow movement", "knock prone", "give health". And each of them only has one ability, not two.

Are there many people who play the super low levels, outside adventure paths and al?

We always start at 6 or higher, often 8. Admittedly it's a hold over policy from when we played 3.5 and Pathfinder.

Is there something new and enjoyable about rusty dagger shank town in 5e?

What's the verdict on all of the UAs released to date?

Going to play a level 3 loremaster wizard hobgoblin. Any advice on how to build it? I haven't played a wizard before.

Disgaea has multitech of a sort. Likely easier to implement than the Chrono trigger style.

There's not even a proper forgotten realms book in 5e. Just a half assed sword coast gazette.

I don't think they're going to scratch anybody's setting itches any time soon.

All of it? Some is good, some is bad, Wizards get unfair favouritism, Rogues have got some alright stuff, Warlocks finally have something worthwhile, Rangers have been fixed, Sorcerers have been fucked over constantly.

DMing is all about having the correct balance of metagame, and internal consistency. A game that only has internal consistency isn't tailored to the people sitting at the table at all, and will lead to players being forced into unfun situations in the name of logic. A game that only has the metagame has no substance, and fails to provide a grounded world that is meant to be navigated.

Sometimes you need to let the hostage takers be intimidated by the barbarian when everyone gets excited, and he rolls a 19 on the die. Sometimes, if you as a DM, not the book, actually believe that the hostage takers would kill the hostage, then you do so, despite clashing with the player's expectations. The decision on when you favor the player's expectations is based upon numerous things. Did you warn them that their intimidation check could trigger the kill? Do you often rule in favor of your expectations over theirs, and have you done so a lot recently? Is this moment important to them? Would ruling in their favor make the world feel less real? How do players react when their 'great plans' fail? Are you communicating enough for them to understand why their expectations and yours could differ?

It's usually simplified to "Always say yes." or "Yes, but" or whatever, but if the game would be superior with a Barbarian winning the intimidation check, maybe the hostage takers were cowards all along, and you warp the world to match the players. Or you put your foot down, just be sure it doesn't make the game significantly less fun for a pedantic issue.

Since one of them plans to kill the npc anyway, I imagine I could get them to fight each other of the hostage holder tries to ransom his captive to the party...

On a scale of "Way of Four Elements"/10 how good's Sun Soul Monk?

No problemo. I've been working on a collection since I started using Roll20. It's tricky to find good maps, so I like the share.

I'd certainly hope they can hit the thing reliably enough without the help of a 1/day ability.

Fair enough. Without much consideration, I figured Indomitable could be a feature that actually let Fighters "just do the thing" every once in a while.

But it's true, spells have historically been shortcuts to whatever more difficult, mundane solution there is to any given problem, and while it's much better in 5e, it's far from fixed. However, I've seen what happens when people try really hard to fix it, at least in 3.5e, and it's usually a lot of time and effort, really messy, and doesn't actually fix the problem.

That all being said, I could certainly see how simply letting physically-based characters have some leeway to perform cool shit beyond the mundane limitations of skill checks would go a long way. I just like the idea of having some mechanics to more clearly adjudicate that kind of thing.

Make me, tall man. Better yet, do you actually have an opinion?

I had a friend who built a Pathfinder character that could only get hit by CR+2 enemies on a nat20, an his saves were high enough that he passed the typical DCs on a 4+.

He showed me the build.

He did fuck all else, and it would take him 8 rounds to kill what anyone else could kill in 2, but he would win very consistently.

I was very glad when he decided it would make the game too much of a slog and decided not to try to get me to let him play it.

I should probably contribute myself.

Are these maps going anywhere, yet?

Speak with Animals would give me full conversations.

What should I take in place of Speak with Animals, then?

The problem with letting martials do cool things is that for the most part it doesn't make sense. Why should a fighter be able to blink through a smog of deadly acidic poison? Why should a barbarian be able to summon a bunch of maids out of literally nowhere to maintain a cool mansion also summoned out of literally nowhere? Why should a monk be able to scry shit a thousand miles away?
You could make them to cool shit normally but the entire point of magic, for the most part, was always to do things that aren't normally possible or easy even with high stats and do it stylishly. At some point there's no functional difference between a boosted monk who can run on air and a wizard casting overland flight, both are basically magic.

Pretty good. Less good than open hand but definatelt better than Wot4E. Just compare their Burning hand. Sun soul use less ki and can do it as a bonus action.

The thumbnail of this thing made me think I was looking at some kind of ugly rat.

Why are you just grabbing wizard spells and bolting them onto non wizard things? When somebody says "cool things" it should be things that are in theme with the characters doing them.

A fighter who can cut through spells, or castle walls with ease. A barbarian who can jump like Hulk. A monk... you know what, a monk meditating to have his spirit leave his body to do recon/scry is fine, I like that.

>Why should a monk be able to scry shit a thousand miles away?

Because he is in tune with the world about him? Seriously, that's not even a weird effect for a Wuxia guy.

What's the panacea that will fix sorcerers that isn't straight up deletion?

When will WotC rename themselves to Sorcerers of the Coast?

Because
>fighter who can cut through spells
If a fighter can cut the "coldness" out of Cone of Cold I'd rather call him a magic knight.
>who can jump like hulk
That wouldn't be that useful outside of combat except to bypass climb or certain dex checks.
>monk
Okay I fucked up with that one, you're right.

My point is that at some point they just become basically anime characters (which they are to a point already, a level 12 fighter can blow through a regiment of level 1s), and the thing about anime characters is that even the fighters are basically mages.

How is 5e and how does it play from an outside perspective? With none of the baggage surrounding it please.

5e is pretty good.

I like it. Gonna save it. Looks like it could be altered to make a neat underwater map.

Not sure.

What assets d you use, mapbro?

last thread someone asked if they should allow an Artificer Wizard over the Artificer class
is it just me or is that a moot question? i mean one is its own class with its own features and rules and the other is a wizard with some extra features.
one doesn't really supersede the other, they can both function side by side without much redundancy.
i mean if you really need to you can change the name of the wizard class and thats all it'd really take.
call it Spell Binder or something like that

Google, and lots of searching. I don't actually make the maps, silly user.

I have a question about Stone Sorcerer.
If I were to pick up the Twinned Spell metamagic feat, would I be able to cleave in melee using the Smite spells?