/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

> New Unearthed Arcana: Warlocks and Wizards.
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
> Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Sorcerers.
sgiz.mobi/s3/ede55d46dded

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> 5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
Next Unearthed Arcana will be probably on the subject of Mystics or Sohei, or probably both. Expectations?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.com/87rg72f
docs.google.com/document/d/1gUjGyBIC6GPzAGwp7VNevJzGEDRGIiYh9yscGTlbJMQ
1d4chan.org/wiki/Frostrazor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pretty much the same as in 3.x then.
Noted.
I understand that perspective but don't share it. You don't need to have every aspect of backstreet worked out in advance, just personality + group ties + major goals. Half a page, tops.
Anything else can be filled in during the campaign as necessary

Something something anime.

What's a sohei?
Anxiously waiting for the mystic though, killing people with mind powers has always been a favorite of mine.

Sohei is, apparently, the fix for elemental monk, just like beast conclave is the fix to beastmaster, and hexblade is "fix" to bladelock.
I don't know much else.

It will be nice to have another class focused on Int.

I also liked Mystic Take2, because i like things like Warlock Invocations and i saw Psychic Disciplines as a parallel feature to those.
Basically the more options to customize a class, the more I like it.

It is why i think there should be more Sorcerer Metamagic options, more Invocations, more Elemental Disciplines, more Maneuvers.

Admittedly I've always wanted to play a Hobgoblin who was cooked up in a lab by goblin Scientists and is basically Mewtwo.
>We created our "Frankenstein's Monster" Goblin from the remains of the First Goblin! The Proto Goblin!

Help

My GM has a massive hardon for Goblins of all things. Next campaign he told us will start out with us being trapped in a "Goblin country" sort of thing, and having to go through small towns, cities, and finally a stronghold of the buggers.

Since I except a lot of little shits that can just disregard AoO as they please, can anybody help me with a class/build that can fuck that strategy over? I don't want to deal with that kind of bullshit for the entire campaign.

He is of the "Fuck the rulebook" school, so the stats of the goblins WILL go up by a lot, but I suspect the ability to "scamper" will stick around, hence my question.

Idk, prolly some like BM meets open hand and druid meets way of shadow kinda bullshit.

Sohei will be your combat-centric archetype, mystic will be your utility/RP-centric archetype

What's the deal with the Hexblade?
Do you get a sentient magic weapon out of it?
I don't see it in the descr

Sentinel fucks over disengage. That's all it takes.

Spirit guardians. Deal massive damage to hordes of enemies. They can run, but they won't run far.

would multiclassing with a Seeker warlock (3lvl dip) and a Monk be doable? or is it the warlock thingy more feasible with feats or something?

>and hexblade is "fix" to bladelock.
Hexblade is a devotion, not a pact.

Literally two different things.

Especially when they created really cool Old One Bladepact traits, or that Archfey Bow weapon for Bladepact.

I think they should stop themselves sometimes, and just straight up release a suggested rework on some of the existing options. Hexblade looks awesome, but it should have been a part of the Blade Pact to begin with.

Get the Great Weapon Master feat if you wanna go melee.

Or Wizard if you just really wanna stack that kill count.

> user contradicts himself in the same post

Wait, really?

Huh. Well then, I'll be grabbing myself Sentinel then.

That seems a bit on the strong side, doesn't it? Just straight up invalidating the disengage action?

Everything is doable.

What are you trying to achieve from taking both classes, might beable to figure out a way to help you achieve said goals.

>> user contradicts himself in the same post
How so?

It's a feat, and Shocking Grasp, Arms of Hadar, and Open Hand Technique can still get around it since you need a reaction to use Sentinel to stop movement.

The final results of the straw poll. With 157 participants the majority of players in /5eg/ came from 3.5/PF, followed by players brand new to the game, followed by 1st-2nd Edition players.

If you want to contribute still go ahead, but this is the last posting of it.

strawpoll.com/87rg72f

Seeker is basically a Mobility warlock.

What is it about the Monk that you don't think is mobile enough?

I'm looking into making a Swashbuckler/Artificer, however they don't need to be the actual Artificer class, Wizard Artificer or other appropriately flavored things could work too.

What's the "best" level dip for Artificer/Wizard Artificer? Is there any other options for it that would fit?

Character is going to be a sky pirate who's either got their own airship or are still working on one, depending on what level they start the game at.

You can also get around it with anything that lets you avoid AoOs without using disengage, such as the Mobility feat or Swashbuckler's Fancy Footwork feature.

Hey megaanon, any chance we can get Mystic added to the classes list?

That's like saying you want to make a Star Fleet Captain by taking a Kirk / Scottie multiclass

It's missing the point

> Let's add a raw, unfinished, 10 level long class to 5etools, despite new, finished mystic releasing in less then a week
What did he mean by this?

I don't mean a giant sky-dreadnought or anything, just a small ship that's big enough for the party and maybe one or two NPCs.

Personally, I rather he didn't.

>implying Mystic v3 is actually going to be released

You're missing the point.

> Implying it won't be

Okay, but the point still is, it is not the captain's job to handle that stuff.

In Serenity, a tiny tub, there's still captain Mal, and the mechanist Kaylee.
The Rocinante has Miller and Amos.

They're better for being seperate

What Spells from the Cleric List should a Favored Soul take?

Specifically the Character in question is a Pal2/Sorc8 going for a melee build, so I don't wanna focus on blasting that much, about three Damage spells at max. So 9 Spells of max. 5th level.

Right now I intend to grab Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Fly, and Counterspell, maybe Shield.

For area-Damage I'm torn between Fireball and Flame Strike.

For everything else I'm rather undecided.

Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians are staples for melee clerics.

> Melee cleric
> Takes spells that have nothing to do with melee
What did he mean by this?

No, your patron is a sentient magic weapon, but you just have powers themed around magic weapons.

I just like it thematically and the warlock bonuses are pretty sweet, the ability to cast augury so on. Our group is not minmaxing about who can ditch-out most damage

So up to level 4 then?

Guidance, Healing Word, Spiritual Weapon, Spiritual Guardians, Inflict Wounds if you aim to be at close range, Revivify, and Banishment

No. And if you go Pact of the Blade, if you do find your patron, you CANNOT use it as a Pact Blade.

As a melee cleric I do not recommend inflict wounds. 3d10 is great early on but if you are hitting hard you could put damage that.

Well, I don't know those two classes by head, but since both the monk and the seeker are highly, *highly* mobile, especially with the new UA invocation that just came out, I'd reccomend building your monk in a way that doesn't overlap with too much redundancy with the warlock

Also, hope the DM is generous with short rests.

Assuming you're laying War Caster down, inflict wounds is a superior choice to a cantrip for a very long time. Then you can just swap it out for another spell at a level up

Full team of favored souls, stone sorcs and hexblades when?

Yeah, its weird that the duration of most conjure spells seems to be designed specifically to exclude a one man binding circus. It would be a real problem if bards and druids couldn't also do so, since those should also be part of every party.

To be fair, Blackrazor is an example of a sentient weapon. Your DM could come up with another sentient weapon that you could use as your patron at one point.

Setzer Gabbiani

Sometimes you don't need a proper captain, just an engineer who doesn't share his toys.

We were all in our skype chat, when the arcana released. I was reading Hexblade, when I groaned in pain.
> "Well, fucking hell, I know exactly which weapon will be granting this pact."

Fucking Leveler. There's nothing I hate more.

New lore wizard+alchemist artificer.

Use "Catapult" from elemental evil to bombard enemies with vials that deal extra damage.

>you CANNOT use it as a Pact Blade.

If I'm DMing I'd probably discount it for your Patron if you're Hexblade. Be stupid otherwise.

I kinda want to make an Assassin who's built to get Assassinate as often as possible.

What's the best way to do that?

As of now I'm thinking something with Charm Person seems most likely to work, since I'd assume it counts as "surprised" to get shanked by your "friend", so a Warlock dip for Charm Person seems likely and would even let you pump out extra damage with Hexblade's Smites.

Also looking for good characters to rip off, as of now I'm thinking a Tesshu expy might be neat (Doctor who uses acupuncture and pressure points to assassinate people with needles)

Story time?

That's the thing -- the Pact of the Blade specifically excludes ALL artifacts and ALL intelligent weapons, no fun is allowed.

The Leveler is an evil magic sword and a Frostmourn ripoff that my DM has in his setting. It's created to kill gods both in and out of character, and it's overpowered as balls. The moment you touch the Leveler, it steals your soul, which changes your class to "the Leveler", which is also overpowered as balls.

Here are it's stats.
docs.google.com/document/d/1gUjGyBIC6GPzAGwp7VNevJzGEDRGIiYh9yscGTlbJMQ

Stone sorcerer/Hexblade is already a viable multiclass.

>Cha based weapon attacks
>Con based AC and able to use shields

Ah, right you are, didn't notice that little tidbit that turns into a big deal. If anything work with your DM, see if you can't make your Patron a one handed weapon, then use two weapons until you finally get it. Or have a two hander until you can finally wield two weapons.

I honestly have no idea here, I'm just spitballing.

Nice. Yeah, otherwise it would be truly awful.

Well, its not terribly unworkable to have a non pact blade using hex blader, especially as it makes a great dip, but it is an oddball setup all around.

You weren't kidding, this is pretty terrible.

I don't think you have to min-max, but being Functional is important imo.

The issue is stats. You essentially want 4 stats to be decent.

Dex, Con, Wis, Cha.

The thing with Seeker is, if you really focus on Seeker stuff, there isn't a huge push for high Charisma as all but 1 seeker feature do not make use of it, and i believe all the spells on the seeker spell-list do not take into account Spell mod or Spell DC

So Cha might be less important depending on how you play.

While Con is important for everyone, i feel like Dex and Wis are more important for a Monk because you want to hit and they contribute to the save DCs of your combat effects.
Seems like you care more about roleplaying a specific idea than actual combat stuff.

It is tricky to multiclass in such a way and remain functional on all the aspects your class features provide.

Are you just planning to take all your spells from the Seeker spell list? Cause at third level, you'll know 4 spells, and you'd have access to 4 Seeker spells at that time.

Realistically, you only need to be concerned with cantrips in regards to Cha. But then you could legit take Green Flame blade and hit someone with a staff, shoot some kind of flame out, though i dont think you'd beable to use Flurry of Blows RAW with that. But i guess it gives you options, and more options are fun.
Or you could take non-damaging cantrips like True Strike and Minor Illusion

RAW you need atleast 13 in Cha, Dex, and Wis to multiclass this.
Point Buy or Rolling Stats?
Depending on Race you might just want to aim for a 14 in those 4 stats. Which is doable imo.
You could take this stat loadout 14, 14, 13, 12, 10, 10 and have +2s to the 4 stats with racials.

Just want you to get the most of your concept.

How would /5eg/ handle an arena fight moment, where each of the players is selected in random order to battle another foe, 1 v 1. I fear it might just be boring and devolve into the participants just hitting each other until one falls over.

How are these made? Layering photos in PS? Or is it some kind of 3d model that is just rendered from the top down?

>Sohei is, apparently, the fix for elemental monk
Last I heard, Sohei will be a fighter archetype, so it likely has nothing to do with four elements monks.

Can mapanon upload his maps?

How easy is it to find bracers of defense?

Sonic Tabaxi

Anons? Simple query: I know the DMG has rules for Blackrazor, Wave and Whelm, but do you think it'd be possible to update Frostrazor to 5e too?

1d4chan.org/wiki/Frostrazor

Layering. Some assets are created using 3d models but that is then flattened to become a 2d asset.

Make the arena interesting, or add in win conditions

Has anyone got a model on how to turn Loremaster into a Sorcerer archetype yet?

I know some anons were going to do it, but I didn't see the end.

Continued

Additionally for one of your 2 invocation you could take Armour of Shadows and always have Mage Armour on.
I assume the other would be the UA Seeker invocation.

13+dex and ignore wis a bit more.

Focus on Con and Dex

14, 14, 13, 13, 10, 9

Where the 14s are Con and Dex.
Unless your DM doesnt care about RAW multiclassing.

Then i'd say go with 15, 14, 12, 12, 10, 9
With Con and Dex being the 15 and 14, depending on racials.
In anycase you'd have +3 con and +3 dex and with Mage Armour thats a 16 AC, which is pretty decent.
If your Tribal Frog man is any indication, he probably wouldnt be wearing armour anyways.

I don't know why WOTC chose 13 to be the stat for Multiclassing. I don't see much of a difference between a 12 or 13, since both are a +1, i guess they did enough testing with point buy and such and decided a 13 was best balanced.

Also i would call myself a Guru or Shaman not a Warlock+Monk. But i do that all the time with multiclassing for theming.

I really like your character concept, just from a mechanical and conceptual standpoint. I may steal this and play it myself.

Which gish has the most consistent damage throughout the day?

The default setup is that you should never count on finding any magic item in particular. If you are of average luck, there will be *a* magic weapon, possibly just a +1 trident or whatever, at *some* point in the campaign.
But yeah, your average party won't ever see a Bracers of Defense. Magic items are by far the rarest in 5e of any edition by default.

Your DM would probably let you cast a high level magic circle, summon an elemental inside, then immediately start trying planar binding on it, but you have to make sure your magic circle is really secure and Conjure Elemental really should end when you can finish casting Planar Binding (lasts an hour, takes an hour to cast) so if you fail it poofs then anyway.

Eldritch Knight. Cast GFB every turn you're not renewing a cheap concentration spell.

Blackrazor went from a sword with a witheringly powerful offense and buffs to a sword that has just an okay (normal +3) plus sweet buffs once you kill (advantage on everything is real nice).

Frostrazor was mechanically very similar, except it had a vastly weaker offense and a much slower and weaker draining effect. Personally, I'd have it break off a piece on a crit, and while the shard is inside them it does a weak amount of damage (1 or 3 hp a round perhaps), and you have that time to kill them, at which point you might get Blackrazor's benefit. It would trigger far, far less frequently than Blackrazor, but it would have one benefit: someone else could finish off the victim and you'd get the bonus.

Ah, good catch...

>Typically. the creature is first summoned into the center of an inverted magic circle in order to keep it trapped while this spell is cast

That does suggest Magic Circle sort of prolongs a conjured critter's stay even though I wouldn't think a spell ending is a form of movement.

So, how do you fluff this out?

Like, what sort of a person would a character have to be in order to be a bugbear that's a stealthy assassin, a warrior of any denomination, a mysterious warlock that draws power from their pact with a sapient weapon, a skald that sings of the valour of old heroes and a paladin of any oath all at once?

I'm just wondering how you justify this sort of multiclass-soup in a normal game.

Hmm... that might work. Honestly, what I was thinking of doing is that it's a +3 greatsword that does a certain amount of bonus Cold damage on a hit, and you choose to break off a shard in a victim you hit (3/short rest). An impaled victim takes, let's say 1d10 Necrotic damage per round for 10 rounds.

This, I figured, would cover the "life draining shards" aspect, but in a neater way than 3e's version, with your free Rays of Enfeeblement/Enervations/Fingers of Death, and in a far less messy way than 2e's version, with its ability to randomly leech health, Strength or levels for you.

You need the magic circle because when you lose concentration on Conjure Elemental (which you will when you start casting Planar Binding) you lose control of the elemental and it becomes hostile for the rest of the spell's duration.

Isnt this completely up to the gm?

I don't think anyone actually really plays these. I've never heard of someone in 5e trying this. It's more of a mental exercise than anything.

A Charletan runs a "magic" shop where the items are all bogus. One example is a scroll that "stops time" (but only for itself)!

What is the name of his shop? What other items are there?

Maybe. I'm just pointing out that Frostrazor was vastly offensively weaker than Blackrazor in AD&D, so it'd be very odd indeed for Frostrazor to suddenly have greater offensive output.

I mean, potentially 55 damage 3 times isn't completely terrible by 5e standards.

Honest John's artifact dealership

By average, I mean the DMG's description of how much you're gonna find. The answer is: shockingly little, far less than any other edition.

That's not to say the DM should abide by the default, just that almost nothing is indeed the default.

>When you cast a spell with a casting time longer than a single action or reaction, you must spend your action each turn casting the spell, and you must maintain your concentration while you do so (see "Concentration" below)

Oh, you're right. Good catch.

>The Grand Illusion
>All That Glisters

>A wand of magic missile that never misses (because it never shoots any)
>A love potion where the two people who drink it fall in love (servings: one)
>A wand of transmutation that turns gold into lead
>A sword for killing invisible, intangible, undetectable monsters

A bugbear assassin-warrior-warlock-paladin of treachery is pretty much the default bugbear. The bard part is pretty weird, but the Temple of Elemental Evil has a bajillion bugbears in it, and almost all bugbears are, flavor wise, in the mindset of being a warrior assassin, most are in the mindset of being an oath of treachery paladin, and virtually any denizen of the Temple of Elemental Evil would fit as being an Oath of Treachery + Goolock or Fiendlock, whether their Oath and Pact are to Iuz, Zuggtmoy, the Elder Elemental Eye or one of the Five Princes of Elemental Evil.

Bugbears are my idea of the iconic ToEE monster, because if the PCs neglect the Temple for any length of time, it will explode in population with guards/cultists, but also gnolls, bugbears, etc.

Now I wouldn't be surprised if Goolock or Fiendlock don't work, in which case the only stretch would be that it would not be with Iuz, Zuggtmoy, or one of the others, but with an evilly intelligent weapon. It could simply be with one of the Princes of the Apocalypse weapons, or a Blade of Chaos from 4e, etc. Just fluff it as a 4e Elemental Pact Warlock. Simple.

So I would say the only abnormal fluff bit is the bard.

In your experience, how overdone is "muh good/Neutral necromancer"?

I was considering making a Necromancer who's more of a Golem engineer that just happened to go into Necromancy because bones are cheap and efficient magic-conductive material, but I feel like "Totally not evul Necromancer engineer" is an overdone trope.

Any ideas for making it less cliche?

>So I would say the only abnormal fluff bit is the bard.
But it is a valor bard, which is still pretty martially-themed. It would probably have to go to a Hobgoblin school to learn tactics like that though. A bugbear that was trained by hobgoblins isn't too crazy though.

It's shit.

>In your experience, how overdone is "muh good/Neutral necromancer"?

I literally don't understand why people want necromancer PCs to be evil. Its not as if an evil PC is easier to keep on the rails, quite the opposite. If I want to make skellington archers, I have to... what, be evil? Okay, guess the campaign just became my magical realm.

Just don't lean super hard into how not-evil it is. You're amoral, and some people aren't going to like what you do. That or your skeletons are fellow practitioners of your craft, who as a group agree to be bound to serve each other after death. No one really wants to have to do that, but that's all the more reason to keep yourself alive by putting your skeletons in harm's way rather than yourself.

> why people want necromancer PCs
We don't.

>ever consider making golems instead?

HOW

What DM or player ever sat down and said "Man, I wish the phenomenally powerful wizard in my party was a monstrously depraved, unpredictable sadist? That would sure enhance my play experience."

>Lawful evil
(LE) creatures methodically take what they want, within the limits of a code of tradition, loyalty, or order. Devils, blue dragons, and hobgoblins are Lawful evil.

>Neutral evil
(NE) is the alignment of those who do whatever they can get away with, without compassion or qualms. Many drow, some cloud giants, and yugoloths are neutraI evil.

>Chaotic evil
(CE) creatures act with arbitrary violence, spurred by their greed, hatred, or bloodlust. Demons, red dragons, and orcs are chaotic evil.

Just cause you use the remains of dead things for your plans doesn't mean you are evil.

Just make sure you don't always "Take what you want" and "do whatever you can get away with" have compassion, don't be arbitrary with your violent acts, and don't be motivated solely by greed, hatred or bloodlust.

The best way to accomplish this would be to somehow have access to Speak with Dead.
Then you just ask every corpse if they can lend you their strength to defeat evil.

Nobody asked. At all.

That's not how golems work, fool.

Hexblade already gets shields and medium armor

> Necromancer logic