Song of Swords: KICKSTARTER UP

Last time on Song of Swords:
IT'S HAPPENING
KICKSTARTER NOW
Some of the best of SoS history

The KS link & Opaque's website
kickstarter.com/projects/2006613790/song-of-swords-tabletop-roleplaying-game
songofswords.net/

Song of Swords is a a tabletop RPG centered around realistic medieval fightan' with a ludicrous variety of weapons and fighting styles, centered around a dice pool system. It's currently in beta, and can be used for both fantasy and historical games. Kickstarter is happening NOW we are kicking ass baby!

Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

MEGA folder containing current version of the game and all supplementary materials.
Note that the latest version of the game is v1.9.9 but with additional supplements. It's NOT what's currently on Opaque's website, because Jimmy is Jimmy.
mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wik

We also have a Discord now, at discord.gg/zzTq7Xw
Come join us if you wanna ask a question or have a friendly fecht, or shitpost at Jimmy in real-time

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
twitter.com/SongofSwordsRPG/status/338524071065174017
sendvid.com/ryqqdpmf
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?798442-Song-of-Swords
youtube.com/watch?v=g04ddivNftQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can someone summarise what's missing from the homepage pdf that's in the mega?

Is this the first time Veeky Forums's actually got something of this magnitude done?

No, don't oversell ourselves. Veeky Forums's done great stuff back in the old days.

I might be wrong, but wasn't kingdom death borned by some fatguys?

I don't know about KD but wasn't there a game that can best be summed up as 'WALL-E the rpg' ?

Also this is the fastest I've seen these threads move in a long time.

VeloCITY too, don't forget that gem

Is there a game similar to it?

It sounds like it could be interesting but I have no idea.

Well it was originally based on The Riddle of Steel

So, I'm the guy that did the homebrew list of chinese weapons ages ago. I'm considering updating it to the latest version of the game, but has anyone even found any use of them?

I almost had a three kingdoms game, but it fizzled out.

So someone has almost had some use for it.

You're thinking of Engine Heart.

Asked in last thread but no replies before it died.

How in the hell are you intending not to get screwed by the Game of Thrones legal team?

For what?

>Song of Ice and Fire
>Storm of Swords

These are the only ones I can think of and I don't see the problem. Then again I'm not a copyright lawyer.

I think they got "A Song of Swords" confused with "A Storm of Swords".

There's not even an 'A' in the name, it's just Song of Swords.

Well, I guess that might be good enough, might even update the shitty drawings.

does this still have cinematic combat?

can someone post a sample combat for visualization?

I heard Jimmy plans on doing a fecht today. Stick around, you'll see it.

What happened with the old thread? I can't find it in the archive or catalog

The last question was about gizka not having a pistol proficiency.

This one?

Hey Try Zells, I hear they have red hair.

Aw fuck, the memories. How long ago was this?

Post the roll20 next time. That shit is more important than other parts of the OP because it lets people actually learn the system, which can be hard to wrap your head around if you're new to it.

>There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
>The room might be empty, but the people who teach the game still browse the thread frequently. If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

>Sat 01 March 2014
I'd say about three years ago.

>3 years
It can't have been that long, I can't have been trapped here for that long can I?

Does the 9th of march fall within the KS date?

come on, seriously?

Lucky me, I stopped hanging out here after the first 2,5 years.

Sorry, but I am tired and for some reason asking was the first thing that came to mind rather than checking the KS page. Sue me.

Yes. It started yesterday and the KS runs for 31 days.

Is that when you get paid?

Yeah

twitter.com/SongofSwordsRPG/status/338524071065174017

They actually deleted the previous "Kickstarter soon" post from the same year, so here's the first tweet from their first dip into social media outside of panty enthusiasts forums.

No their Facebook has been pretty active as well.

Hay Jimmy who's piloting the social media?

Well fuck. Getting a prepaid cc is more of a hassle than I would've imagined.
>want Gamemaster+, costs 143€ when including shipping here
>go to gas station
>can only initialize a prepaid cc with 100 bucks
>have to register online and "upgrade" to be able to transfer the rest
Fucking hell.

>What happened to the maneuver cards?
I made them. And I'm a lazy faggit, so they have not really gone anywhere. The stuff in the MEGA should still be the latest of that.

RuneQuest/Mythras has a few of the same ideas, especially in melee. Also some Polish games if you're Polish.

So is Jessica the Australian or is just Jimmy LARPing?

The Australian, and it wouldn't be LARPing anyway. It'd be roleplaying.

sendvid.com/ryqqdpmf

For those of you who like Ace Combat and are watching Youjo Senki, I know there's at least one of you here.
Reminder it's WWI and not WW2

Jimmy are you talking to any YouTubers or other influencers to help draw attention in the coming days?

Also not telling Galt was a joke right? Right?

That isn't illegal. If it were going to be a problem it would've happened months ago.

Hey, more weapons are never bad.

What I like about this system is that allows for competative fighting outside of roleplay.

So I remember this game getting playtested a bunch back in the day, but I never followed the threads very closely.

To those of you who have had hands-on experience with the system, could you detail what you feel the combat does correctly?

It makes combat threatening. If you're using all the rules, even minor skirmishes are pretty scary. A fight will matter. There's also a lot of options in combat, which can make it a really tactical experience if you want to go down that path.

In the last thread is an example of a game I ran in Historical Poland, so you can see the tone of game it often produces.

Is the grapple fix in the mega official?

As far as I know, yes.

At the risk of being too blatant a shill, it may be a good idea for someone to open a thread on RPG.net's main open game forum to discuss the game itself. I've posted announcements of the kickstarter, but those don't really help communicate what the game is itself.

There's an hour and fifteen minutes until this project will have been up on Kisckstarter for a full day.

There's $674 until fully funded. Can we do it?

Yeah, that's the biggest contender I can think of, but it didn't kickstart, it went straight to PoD on Lulu. It also didn't spend ~five years in constant development. I think this actually is the biggest thing Veeky Forums has made in terms of publication size. In terms of the document itself, P:tA and D:tD are similar, but neither had the playtesting and refinement this has, and both used art sourced from the internet, and never had a physical version.

tl;dr: Yes.

Jimmy is, why do you think he's not here?

It's realistic and gritty, without just being "realistic and gritty" in the sense that you die easily or have a random "do you cry and if so how hard" table. You choose how much to commit and what maneuvers to commit with, and if you overcommit you could be fucked later when your dice pool is commensurately smaller, so you have to be careful. Wounds aren't hit points, which is a big plus.

Do it, then link it. This kind of thing works better if the "someone" isn't a dev or marketer guy.

It's nine in the morning m8. I normally don't get up until noon.

I think the lads are already on it.

forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?798442-Song-of-Swords

Then why were you not here except for a few scattered posts last night?

Thanks for the link, might be a good idea for us to discuss a bit there to boost the hype levels.

Exactly. I'm actually some shmuck from Veeky Forums, not a dev, but I've already posted the announcement thread . That means that in the eyes of the moderators, if I start a thread in the main discussion board then I'm spamming. Someone else needs to do it.

Wouldn't it still be spamming, even if someone else does it?

Yes, obviously. It's been almost fully funded in 24 hours time. It's gonna make it.

The question now is how many stretch goals we can realistically expect to hit.

Not if you're actually discussing the game. I would hope.

To be safe, we may want to instead post in the Hype Machine thread with some testimonials. If one of the actual members wants to start a thread, then we can move there. If not, there will be more proof it's an actual game at least and not just some fuck's scam.

>implying

I meant if we can do it in the 24 hour span.

As for stretch goals, I think funding will fall off fairly quickly, if only because the super nerds who hang around these threads have already donated. I want the $21k one, but the stuff before it I care less about, so unless we hit that mark (possible) I'm not bothered either way.

Hype Machine is where the current thread is.

Yeah, and if it gets discussed enough someone may start a thread on the main forum rather than just the advertisement thing.

Yes! I got the $11,500 get!!

Nice digits, for a nerd

Can the game faciliate combat between multiple characters yet, and if not, will it ever?

Well I have many duties right now, I just meant I don't handle the facebook stuff. Don't worry, my presence will increase gradually over the coming days.

>people on the kickstarter comparing us to For Honor
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Well the build you see in the kickstarter is a bit old, but ever since CotV's development began we've made huge leaps and bounds of progress towards getting combat to flow more naturally. The new initiative system is a powerful breath of fresh air and we have top men working on making the actual action-action-refresh of combat more compatible for multi-man fights.

Backing. 2nd person for the hardcover book.

Normies can say what they want, as long as they pay up.

Is Galt going to run a fecht for us when he gets back?

Probably depends if he kills me first.

>Honored to be a pledger of this undertaking.
>When I saw the title, my first thought was A Song of Ice and Fire, but when i saw the pictures, artwork and read about the project, I immediately thought - and still think - of the For Honor game by Ubisoft

Can't tell if joke or a second language.

>Hello, friends, is long time. Tonight have special fecht for you. Great treat!

>It will be 45 year old Serbian man with sword vs unarmed, naked screaming Californian. I declare ten dice stab to Zone X.

Nah, he means well. Not everyone is a hard core memer from the chans.

Fuck yes. Let the indirect shilling begin.

Why not both? John Galt livestreams the Opaque Gladiatorial Games where the developers fight for survival in the fecht to end all fechts. The royalty tier backers will recieve Old Church Slavonic-language manuscripts of all products, written on the flayed skins of the fallen.

What weapon do you choose Jimmy?

>Choose SKS
>Oh wait I'm Californian rifle must start with gun lock on and in gun safe
>Wait didn't Dus have a bunch of track stuff on his wall in-
>Hit in chest with javelin before safe can be opened

>What weapon do you choose Jimmy?
There is only one choice!

For ten thousand years or however long development has taken I have slumbered!!! Who dares summon the shitposter prime!?

I look and I see the great day that had been promised has come, we are entering a whole new nation of The Song of Swords. You could even call it a promised land, but don't do that. I will call my many slaves and have them open the great door of the treasury, sadly it was pillaged long ago and I am now trapped in The British Museum. Still I'm sure if we keep the curator in there for a few hours he'll tell us his card details.

This is a great day, I can hardly contain my excitement that this game which depicts the world's most powerful weapon in its most accurate abet mightily reduced in power to allow others to compete form yet.

I am filled with much joy Man of the West and can only hope you take as many coin as you can to make the most mightily mighty publication there ever has been.

Didn't Veeky Forums basically collectively build this RPG together?
Who decided which fa/tg/uy should start making dolla off everyone else's work?

WEDNESDAY

No, we didn't. It's a Cripple Girls situation, only the game's been tested here for fucking ages.

I don't think it started that way. The company formed to make a game for fechts, we just helped test it along the way. desu given the costs of printing all this stuff I doubt they're going to make much of a profit.

Nah, we just playtested it. Jimmy, Bones and the third guy who is CEO or something build the game.

>and the third guy
Yeah, just that guy.

There's others too, unless they buggered off.

I see history is not a subject in which you are versed, allow me to help you for my mercy is infinite.

Many years ago the man of the Norwood crafted the Codex Autismima so that many could experience the Beating of the Blade and the Hooking of the Leg. This was revolution but it was not complete, like the mighty sun that has only risen by half across the horizon.

John of Galt, came among these people of Veeky Forums and opened their eyes to the power within the codex and others took up the bright torch of development. In these great threads many ideas have been freely exchanged and criticism given but it was The Ma of the West and his companions who turned this clay into great sculpture. They have made and taken what has been freely given out of love an duty.

You are like slave who tries to clam he built great pyramid but gives no mind to mind of architect, or organisational skills of whip-man or entrepreneurial skills of whip merchant or even their beloved Pharaoh who went to all the trouble of enslaving them in the first place., You would not want to be slave no? Then you must abandon the matters of the slave.

Yeah, now that you say that, weren't there a bunch of other people along the way that provided one thing or another? Like Galt, for example.

Plus all the artists.

And coffeemancer the comic artist.

And all the homebrew guys.

And that guy who always were on about those stupidly shaped bronze swords made by the egyptians or something.

Homebrew's homebrew. No, I mean the guys who were actually part of the team.

youtube.com/watch?v=g04ddivNftQ

It's done, booiii!

>24 hours and 45 minutes
Fucking kek

Tell us how much you love us and our money, Jimmy.

I'm making a video to do that because it's easier.

Ay Jimmy what the actual fuck does Visionary Noble do? Compared with the now-impossible VisNob+.

Also weirdly we've got half as many backers as BotIT but we've spent twice as much as them.

I've been waiting for this game a good 3 years. The money has accumulated along the way.