Coriolis

Anyone try Coriolis yet? Is it any good. I'm looking for a good Privateer/Freelancer type game.

Other urls found in this thread:

obskures.de/2016/coriolis-the-third-horizon-an-interview-with-kosta-kostulas/
philgamer.wordpress.com/tag/coriolis/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just play Star Wars.

Star wars attracts autists REEEEEing about canon. Every time.

Especially if canon characters appear in the game.

Hate that setting

Star Wars is so large setting you can have almost anything there. Including stuff like Freelancer, but if you absolutely want something more "realistic" go for classic Traveller or GURPS.

Solution:
Stop playing with canon autists and you really should stay away from any game that features canon characters. That's always a huge red flag in any setting.

>I don't like the players of that setting
>I hate that setting
>lol u can do anything if ur not a pooper!

Could someone at least describe this shit? It has a better cover than Starfinder...

And people still complain about KotOR 2 not being "proper star wars".

Sinbad the Spaceman.

Nah, they're just butthurt because that game made it too clear that force itself is bad for whole galaxy (always leading to eternal wars) and it would be kinda better if it didn't exist.

Less made it clear, more made it up.

Are you seriously arguing that Star Wars isn't a setting of eternal conflict between good and evil because of the force? I mean that's like the whole point of the setting.

The Mandos have burned down the galaxy at least twice for non-Force reasons.

It Good vs Evil because that's part of the overarching high adventure narrative, in practical terms if there was no Force people would still fight over anything and everything.

Kotor2 made it clear that black and white jedi-good-sith-bad morality was dumb. That's what people usually object to, I think.

>Anakin will bring balance to the force
>kills 9998 jedi in the process
>now there's jedi-sith parity.

I don't think you understand how Force works. Force is everywhere and affects every living being. This includes also non-force sensitive individuals to a degree and in SW setting great people capable of great feats (such as Mando commanders and heroes) would indeed be affected (and even empowered) by the Force.

You don't have to worry about it anymore because they declared the entirety of the expanded universe is now non-canon. If they start shit, just point out how their favorite novel or game or whatever doesn't matter either.

Wrong, Force is microscopic organisms that live in the bloodstream of sentient races.

>Kotor2 made it clear

Kotor2 made it up.

Can we actually talk about Coriolis?

Nice try and pretty good bait, but those things just allow one to tune into force better than most individuals. Force itself is like energy field that's generated by life itself.

Why is it dumb?

Why is a simple morality not allowed for an adventure setting?

Fuck's sakes, there's a Star Wars General thread here:

Can we try to talk about Coriolis here?

Fuck that we're not spoiling that thread with this dumpster fire of an argument.

Then take it somewhere else, trying to learn about a system that actually sounds interesting is better than watching two bonobos screech at one another

Unless you want to tell us what about Coriolis that Star Wars can't do yourself, nobody will.
What's its strength compared to SW?
Because that's the question everyone want answered else Star Wars is better for general space fantasy adventure.

Star Wars has nothing to do with this. People don't want to play in that fucking setting.

Why not? It's fine.

No it's not. I don't like the look, feel of the setting. I don't a setting where such a thing as the force exists

Why not try Traveller then?

Why are you forcing me to talk about a different game than the one in the fucking OP?

Because you won't tell us anything about your special snowflake RPG. We've even fucking asked. Multiple times. But you'd rather bitch about how much you don't want to play in other settings, so that's what we're talking about.

No, people are still upset over the best star wars game and trying to defend arbitrary good/bad morality as deep, interesting, or adult.

Nobody had played coriolis. Aside from trite descriptions like "firefly, bit pre-Islam Arabia instead of western" or "Sinbad the Spacer" nobody can talk about it with authority.

Arab space rpg with great space exploration.

Why great?

Gonna be playing our first session of this in a bit.
seems fun.

That's actually awesome. I'll look into it.

Asshole star wars fans now convinced me to check this game out.

Good news boys, our cunning use of reverse psychology has worked!

Bump

So what is it about? General themes of gameplay? tech levels? Unique aspects of the system? Things the system does well an poorly? I am genuinely curious but not curious enough to actually look this shit up. And then find someone with first hand knowledge to tell me.

obskures.de/2016/coriolis-the-third-horizon-an-interview-with-kosta-kostulas/

6 part review

philgamer.wordpress.com/tag/coriolis/

Never mind I looked it up. Firefly meets Arabian Nights in this unique sci-fi RPG. Crew a starship and explore the ancient mysteries of The Third Horizon!

2d10+ Skill additive vs. stepped target numbers. Human only, exploration and travel a focus, low end tech as far as sci-fi goes, "entering an age of discovery or disaster. You find out."

So it's basically Cthulutech's or Anima's resolution mechanic, in an Arabian influenced, Firefly, event Horizon, Deadspace setting.

Why would I use it over Eclipse Phase?

Actually upon reflection. It seems more Fading Suns than anything.

No Eclipse Phase
Transhumanism
Creators retarded politics
No Arabian theme

Eclipse Phase sounds cool but some people might find all the options daunting. Is Coriolis more streamlined?

/Nobody can say much because it literally just now came out; I got my Kickstarter copy in the mail only yesterday.

The game is mechanically heavily based on Mutant Year Zero, which is pretty well explored, so just imagine that but with a bit less dark and much more SPACE.

Thematically it's extremely islamic, but like the fantasy movie version of islam.

Settingwise, it sits basically around Firefly but the sultanate instead of chinese influence,with a bitmore fanciful tech but not Star Wars. It's Star Wars on the fringes of that world, but nothing like the core republic worlds or such.

I mean more mechanically. As options, upgrades, tech. morphs can be limited to achieve a desired tech level and feel. And setting themes and details ported over. You can use the EP system and not do trans humanism. Just liek everyone always reconmmends GURPS because it is generic. EP can be pretty generic as well. You can always devise a setting that is Arabian themed. So basically every one of your points is easily negated.

Who has time for that kind of work?
I already have a job for when I feel like working.

Not really. Any truly thematic game has the theme so heavily baked into it that it comes out of effectively every mechanic; any game that can be completely themeswapped hasn't got enough substance to feel thematic.

By way of example: Delta Green (new) has generic guns and fight rules and investigation rules, surely it can be a generic modern game when the spells and monsters are swapped out?

No. The fighting rules are inherently dangerous and can only easily be altered by adding HP sinks, which would ruin the fighting completely. Kill Damage is another aspect of the high lethality sense of oppression, and if it goes so does balance. Stress and panic rules too, and if they go the key balance between mooks and players is absent now. And without all the rules for the supernatural, the system is dragged down by deadweight rules, things that never come up. The four separate rules about how you never get used to the supernatural are still there even if they are redundant, and still drag down the mechanics.

The game is difficult to convert even to a mundane-world high lethality modern investigation game without the theme getting in the way. A pulp detective setting would be even harder. A heroic military fantasy, impossible.

And the payoff for this is that what it doesdo, it does so well the players feel it in every rule. The interactions, the referencing, the way you have to think about choices and dice, all of them are there to enforce the atmospherics. The GM is still key, but where GMs creating theme in GURPS is like a monologue in a public park, in a (good) theme-heavy game it's performing in a proper theatre in full costume, set, props, and lights. The performance is still at the core, but everything else is driving it now instead of holding it back.

I don't know Eclipse Phase that well, but I do know one thing: if a game is generic enough that you can just swap themes, it will always be much less thematic than a game with that theme built in.

I tried. A few times, in fact. We all have that phase when we finally master our first system as GM and try to shoehorn every game into it. Some work less badly than others, but even when they line up nicely, they never work quite right. Even playing Judge Dredd games in Dark Heresy - as close to one-for-one thematically as any game has ever got - doesn't create the same thematic pull as just playing the (decent but not fantastic) Dredd RPG.

Haven't played Coriolis yet but it seems extremely thematic. Making Eclipse Phase or GURPS or whatever all islamified wouldn't achieve that, ever. The only benefit would me making it easier for GM and players tr transfer systems if they already knew the old one.

I feel like we need a thread explicitly to discuss new RPGs, I've only just heard of this and Fragged Empire, and both are games I'd love more information about how they actually play before I introduce them to my group.

Tell me more about Fragged Empire

Hehe I always saw mitichlorians as a crappy way to diminish the magic or star wars. I guess reading this now makes me feel a little better

>Creators retarded politics

?

Good setting, merely okay mechanics. Setting backstory, horribly summarized:

>10,000 years ago humans created Ley Lines which allowed faster than light travel
>humans stopped making babies due to apathy
>instead made the Archons to replace them
>Archons decided to further technology not with electronics but with genetics
>Archons make all sorts of new races, because reasons
>Made the X’ion, which were praised as perfect
>Then Archons changed their mind
>X’ions not happy, started fighting Archons
>All but 1 X’ion killed
>It fled to space
>I’m sure that won’t come back and bite them
>X’ion came back with its own race, the Nephilim
>It came back and bit them
>Archons were destroyed
>X’ion left because reasons
>Remaining races kinda left to their own devices
>100 years after war remaining races start space travel again
>Decide not to be dicks to each other

Four playable races (four more in an expansion), none of which are "generic humans". Yeah some look more human than others but I like this swtting's justification on why these "aliens" look like humans: cause they're basically bioengineered descendants (except for the Nephilim kinda sorta).

also, kaltorans are a cute.