New Unearthed Arcana: Warlocks and Wizards

> New Unearthed Arcana: Warlocks and Wizards.
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Sorcerers.
sgiz.mobi/s3/ede55d46dded

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Old campaign..
After the Mystic and other psionic shenanigans, what would you like to see in Unearthed Arcana?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Frostrazor
media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Kaladesh pyromancer
This is how a fucking sorcerer should be: pure, unrefined energy that destroys all targets, regardless of their defenses and while encouraging them to get close. A magic shotgun where you could get close to hit em but you sure as shit don't want to without catching a face full of irresistible elemental fire.

Hey, anons? Can someone add a copy of Kobold Press's Southland Heroes to the mega? The Midgard Heroes book is there, but the sequel isn't.

Also, simple query; since the three iconic White Plume Mountain weapons all made their way into the DMG, do you think it'd be possible to update Frostrazor from "Return to White Plume Mountain" as well?

1d4chan.org/wiki/Frostrazor

Warlord.

Warlords could be fun.

I must say this, I get the feeling that some of the magic item rules from Plane Shift Kaladesh are quite useful for putting together magic item economies and production in place in Eberron. Also, combing the ability to purchase charges for rechargeable items as certain types of dragon shards?

Also I wonder how the Artificer fluffs into the presented rules of Plane Shift Kaladesh.

Now for OP's question.

I want the delayed downtime UA they've been mentioning, for more ways to spend money and do base and resource management stuff perhaps.

Or some more setting specific playtest runs like the Eberron one we got for the near to first UA. Maybe some small playtest containing rules for a 5E Darksun.

What's a good justification for cantrip staffs being the primary ranged weapon in a region despite them being more expensive and potentially less effective than a longbow/crossbow?

As of now I'm thinking
>Region is a desert
>No trees means no bows/no new arrows
>Desert however produces some natural resource thats good for making cheap, albeit too weak for any real strength, enchantments, thus making Firebolt staffs a common ranged weapon

>Staffs degrade quickly if taken out of the desert (either due to magic bullshittery or just humidity) so bows are still the weapon of choice outside the desert

TLDR how2 make magic guns only viable in one region

Much as the Warlord's return would be awesome, you know they're going to point to the Battlemaster and the Banneret and maybe even the Knight archetypes they've already done and say "this already fills that role".

I figure the Artificer makes perfect sense as the "aether technician/inventor" stand-in class. It's probably the primary Consultate-aligned form of mage in the plane.

What is the most powerful party of 4-5 adventurers right now?

Looking for a fair mix of magic and melee.

2 clerics, 2 paladins, and a wizard.

>Not putting /5eg/ in the title.

Meganon, now that there's an actual archetype option in a Planeshift, can we get the material added to 5etools?

Students have more time to train with staves (Since they may be a stepping stone in a ladder of magic) than with crossbows and such. (Proficiency)
Students can focus on their studies, and not getting more accurate, nimble and all that. (Int instead of dex).
They have other uses. (Fire staff to light fires - cantrip casters thus don't need to take as much stuff rather than a load of ammo and a crossbow)
They don't need to be strung before battle. (I'm not 100% on crossbows, but at least bows you shouldn't have strung all the time).
Having a range of cantrips is more versatile than a load of piercing weapons. (Damage types)
Cantrips can get better. (If you're of the right level, you can cast cantrips for better damage such as 2d10 instead of 1d10, without needing a feature such as 'extra attack' from a class. Though I guess naturally even NPCs get multiattack.)
Their enemies might have abilities such as 'deflect missiles', or countermeasures against non-magical weapons or projectiles. Shield of arrow attraction/protection, non-magical weapon resistance...

Does this win a prize for being the tiniest archetype ever?

Since no one has actually linked it yet:

Technically speaking that award still goes to Champion, but that certainly has "least amount of page space" down pat.

Magical stones and naturally occurring minerals are found in the sand, some may not know where they come from, some may say a firey stone from the sky fell and exploded over the desert, and they able to be sculpted and focused with minor magical additions.

Common stones make firebolt or Conjure Flame. Uncommon can do burning hands, rarer can cast Aganazzar's Scorcher or Scorching Ray. The rarest cast Fireball or Wall of Fire even.

Wins a prize for actually feeling like a fucking sorcerer archetype where you're a magical force in your own right.

>Sky Leviathan
Helloooo polymorph

Necromancer: Skelemancery.
Oathbreaker: Good damage, buffs your army of undead and fiends later.
Bard: Obligatory. Whatever. Probably Lore.
Moon Druid: General tanking expert.
Arcana Cleric: Removes whatever negative spell effects are desired. Life instead, in a low enemy caster campaign.

It's like the champion of casters.

>Uhh, I guess you hurt people more by casting fire spells. And you get resistance. And ignore resistance. And then get immunity. And ignore immunity somewhat. And people get hurt for touching you. That's about it.

>The suggested fix for that one feat
>but as a level 18 ability
Sheeeit.

Simple is better for sorcerer. They should be direct and powerful as opposed to varied and subtle. Gives them their own niche amongst the casters.

Wait, the wording for Fiery Soul can be taken two ways here.
When an enemy is immune to fire damage, does it take a resisted hit or normal damage?

Because it says you ignore resistance, but then to treat immunity as resistance.
If I was treating it as resistance, then I'd ignore said resistance.

Fucking Wizards

I would interpret it as
immunity->resistance
resistance->normal
Though i'm sad it doesn't also go
normal->vulnerable
But i could see how that can be interpreted the other way.

Meh, it's fine. "/5eg/" still appears in the body of the OP.

I now know how I'm playing Dresden

If they meant immunity means nothing then they would have said immunity is treated as normal.

If the creature has resistance, then you treat it as nothing, but if they have immunity, it is treated as regular resistance.

It's hard to get that the wrong way.

The intent is that Immune creatures are treated as though they instead had Resistance under normal circumstances, in other words, they only take half damage.

See, that's how I assumed it was, but it really should have been worded better.

Normal->vulnerable would have been really cool, actually.
If you're getting so good that you can hit through immunities, why wouldn't regular foes be taking extra?

Thanks, I'm just a little annoyed at how it's worded.

How many sorcery points should mantle of flame cost to gain use of before a short rest, 2?

Has a fixed and/or balanced, but interesting, Kensei been made or posted anywhere? I liked the idea of a fightin' armourless badass monk who uses a sword but the mechanics from the UA left a lot to be desired.

>Aetherborn prefer the pronoun "they"

Let the butthurt begin

If you want simple, might as well make a blastlock.

Still doesn't help much of sorcerer being wizardlite. It really feels kind of like a waste to make sorcerer archetypes before they finally realize they should really fix up sorcerer a tad.

And it'd be cooler to have some at-will fire abilities to go with it. Like an advanced version of produce flame and thaumaturgy or something like that, or control flame. Set up burning fire traps like 'create bonfire', light up caves, make torches glow pretty colours.

Long rest I meant.

Trying to see if I can spend something to get it back so I can use it more.

>but it really should have been worded better.
Yeah it should have just been worded as
>Additionally, your flame becomes pure and unrefined, all damage resistance is treated as 1 step down for your fire related spells; immunity becomes resistance, resistance becomes normal state, normal state becomes vulnerability.
The problem is the lack of term for an enemy without resistance or vulnerability.

Make it like the Evocation Wizard's Overchannel feature, with an increasing cost each time. First time is 1. Next time is 2. Next time is 4. Ect.

>Getting assblasted over non-organic lifeforms not having/using gender identity
Powerfully stupid, famalam.

What? How is that complicated.
If it defaults to resistance, ignore that.
If it defaults to immune, it kicks down to resisting.
You should be more concerned about the fact that the caster is resistant to all fire damage--except their own.

That would have been perfect.

>The problem is the lack of term for an enemy without resistance or vulnerability.
After all these years, I don't see why we don't.

Well, sorcerers in general need extended spell lists I feel. Doesn't give them so many spells that the wizard feels his (admittedly enormous) toes stepped on but enough that they can afford to choose some spells that aren't specifically for their archetype. Like, all fire based sorcerers should just fucking get firebolt and fireball.
Combine with spell points and sorcerer could possibly hold their own against wizards if the origins turn them more into magical shotgun, which they should.

>why wouldn't regular foes be taking extra?
It makes sense, but letting a sorcerer deal double damage against most targets would be hilariously OP.

>Bonus cantrips
The archetype doesn't give access to fireball either. It more-or-less assumes you'll pick the right spells yourself if you're going for a purist interpretation.

You misunderstand. I'm not butthurt, I'm just assuming butthurt will be had by others.

We can take a leaf from Nethack and call it nonresistance.
>Elves are nonresistant to fire

Well, yes.
The idea is to give them a lot of versatility within their domain, but not outside of it.

Load of fire spells they can cast at varying levels. Mini fireballs, big fireballs, normal fireballs. Big burning hands, small burning hands, fireball that leaves a burning area, that sort of thing.
If it's about the area they're specialized in, nobody should be better.
But then the wizard will still have much more adaptability and versatility, having a much wider range of spells. And that's the point.

>It makes sense, but letting a sorcerer deal double damage against most targets would be hilariously OP.
At level 14? I'd be fucking shocked if a DM sent literally anything that didn't have fire resistance by that point. Other than nonmagical physical attacks and likely poison, fire is the most commonly resisted damage type.

>In addition, any spell or effect you create that deals fire damage overcomes any and all defenses. Creatures with immunity to fire damage are treated as having only resistance, creatures with resistance to fire damage are treated as if they didn't have it, and all other creatures are treated as if they have vulnerability to fire damage.

>letting a sorcerer deal double damage against most targets would be hilariously OP
Considering how late game it would, I don't see too much of a problem.

>We can take a leaf from Nethack and call it nonresistance.
Works for me.

Unearthed Arcana is gonna be on Tuesday next week.

Thanks for the heads up, Mike.

No problemo.

Has anyone actually played sorcerer and didn't feel powerful? Don't you have like 1-10 extra spell slots depending on your level?

I really don't see anything bad with it, sure they don't get the 10,000 spell options but they get the most cantrips and more spells to cast before a long rest. They also have better action economy with casting spells on action and bonus action and constantly shifting sorcery points and spell slots to do stuff.

And they have the "best" casting stat, and con save proficiency, other classes would kill for that.

I'm still trying to figure out metamagic options and possible reworks that I could give to a sorcerer and allow them more options since all their utility and specialization should come from metamagic. How many sorcerery/spell points would a wizard style overchannel cost?

I'd test it out at 1 point per spell level as with Twinned Spell, but if that proves to be to good, consider upping it to 1 + spell level.

Also, name for this metamagic: Maximized Spell

So, /5eg/, how will you adapt the Kaladesh material for your own setting?

Personally, I'm going to allow players to pick the Vahadar subrace as a wood elf variant.

Another question, how stupid broken would it be to combine multiple metamagic effects or is there any possible way to make it not that strong? Because I want to enable all metamagics for use at some point and it would be cool to see them combined.

You could do a shitton of damage with Spell Bombardment.

Pyromancer is in, and using the magic item invention rules. Probably adding in Aetherborn to our next campaign.

Balanced or na

I would say wisdom is the best casting stat myself, because wis saves are so much more common than cha saves.

What the actual shit is this that's assaulting my eyes. That formatting is physically painful.

That would encourage sorcerer players to have no idea of resource management at all.

>Walk into combat
>Blow everything straight away
>Whine about not getting a rest for the next few hours

If metamagics were cheap and there's plenty enough points to use then sure, maybe.

Although it wouldn't work all that well, I would love to see a planeshift:lorwyn and shadowmoor.

Breadth beats out depth unless you know at chargen or level up what the DM's going to hit you with.
A wizard player who gets his writing done and picks his spells right will blow a sorc who picks "universally good" spells out of the water.
But a sorc with said spells will be more useful than a wiz who picks the wrong spells.

Basically, wizard has a higher in-game skill ceiling but a lower floor. Played right they're better, played wrong they're worse.

Clerics have wisdom as their casting stat (easily better than charisma, I'd say. Perception is a very important skill and wisdom is a much better save).
Then, clerics have heavy armour, so they don't need con save proficiency as much - if they don't get hit, they don't have to make a save.

And as it stands a wizard could start with a level in fighter for a load of armour and con saves instead. But honestly I don't think that's something a DM should allow.

Also, wizards get arcane recovery, which is essentially 1-10 extra spell slots depending on your level. Well, if you could even hold that many level 1 spell slots anyway. Otherwise it's just a sliiiightly worse version of using your sorcerery points for spell slots.
And if you use your sorcerery points for that, why be a sorcerer?

Not to mention land druid gets a twice as good version of arcane recovery.

And wizards can cast rituals out of their spellbook without having even prepared it, as if they didn't already know enough spells.

And there's too many charisma casters. Int is a much 'rarer' stat than charisma, so being a wizard fills a slot that's rarer to be filled than charisma.

Played a sorcerer on my first time in 5e and felt perfectly fine, but that's only because everyone was new anyway.

>create pentadrones as common magic items

Not balanced, getting too much at level 3 and not getting any downsides. You get the reaction AC the speed and the blade form. Lose the speed.

Cut down on the number of Bladeforms you get st the beginning, two is fine, then one and one.

Should be playable then.

I played the Favored Soul variant and it was a lot of fun. I certainly felt useful to the rest of the party.

Actually I'm not done. Get rid of advantage on initiative and give a ribbon in there. Out of combat bonus with some fluff.

The sorcerer is fine. People are just angry that the wizard is (still) overly versatile and OP and are used to comparing sorcerers and wizards because of 3e.

>"After the DM makes the roll, but before you know if the attack succeeds or fails"
Unless your DM isn't rolling behind a screen, what is the point of this?
Otherwise, surprisingly balanced, except Lake Parts Before The Blade is OP at low levels, when characters/creatures have a low number of attacks per turn. Either make it use a reaction or give it a level requirement (at least 11).

Guys, hot off of the official Dungeons & Dragons facebook page.

Next UA is Tuesday the 21st instead of Monday.

Reusing Aetherborn as a ghost/undead race, yes/no?

Wow fucking slackers maybe if they took their dicks out of each other's mouth for more than enough time to cum on each other's faces they'd get UAs done on time.

>Mystic getting delayed EVEN MORE

This is even cuckier than Space Engineers General getting cucked out of Blaneds over and over.

Not with that +2 charisma, you aren't

Edgier than a bastard sword and equally obsolete

It's one day, calm down.

>Lifecraft of almost any creature can be created
>says nothing about creature type
>CR 2 and under Lifecraft can be built as common magic items
I'm building an army of mimics.

Guys, Monday is a holiday.

I'm sure somebody said 'It's only one X' every time they delayed mystic before.

How many times has it been now?

Fuck you, I'm going to capitalize on every second of it.

>How many times has it been now?
Literally over a year
Still, Monday IS a holiday.

>Monday is a holiday
???
What holiday? Am I forgetting something?

It's president's day, which isn't a REAL holiday, all I've seen it for is an excuse for car dealerships to make big deals about sales.

>this retarded thread
user abstain...

>nobody made a thread
Well nobody eats its own shit user why haven't you done that instead

Where is this material found? Is it 3rd party?

I'm still of the opinion that Wizard should be a ritual-focused caster, rather than a versatile sorcerer.

Charisma is force of personality, not beauty.

No, the newest Planeshift just came out:

They also have those for Innistrad and Zendikar.

It's WotC, but it's from the M:tG team. see:

Interesting, I think I was unaware of this until now. Thanks to both.

I didn't say it was beauty. It's force of personality but also... well, charisma, or personal magnetism, as well as the ability to get along with others.
If you can devise undead that have those... go ahead, I guess, but it would be a bit weird.

It's almost like a find and replace of storm sorcerer to make it fire element with ignores immunity instead of flying and no ribbons. It is very compact.

Should I mention that spells and effects you create would downgrade immunity and ignore resistance to fire damage, even your own?
>Pyromancer kills himself with a fireball.

Balors have 22 CHA despite being utterly horrifying. Sheer force of will and threat presented by something leads to a higher CHA as you're just able to more readily communicate how little you should be fucked with.

>do you think it'd be possible to update Frostrazor from "Return to White Plume Mountain" as well?

yeah

Damn, holiday means I will have to change my route to work and now won't have any juicy UA to discuss once I get there. At least next week's UA is confirmed already.

DMs - how do you manage encounters on the fly? Do you have specific statblocks that you use for everything and refluff? Do you asspull stats out of the air? Or do you consult KFC/the handbooks every time for quick ideas?

>hot off the
>was mentioned an hour ago

wut

Tips on rping a Yuan-Ti or Lizardman's lack of emotion?

Is it saying I should literally be playing them like a vidya character who responds to NPCs how I expect them to best respond in kind rather than how my character should feel about the situation?

Not even reading the other replies.
>Don't you have like 1-10 extra spell slots depending on your level?
>more spells to cast before a long rest
That's wizards. You're thinking of wizards. It's easy to get them confused, I know.
>hey also have better action economy with casting spells on action and bonus action
Still wizards.
>and con save proficiency, other classes would kill for that.
Now maybe you're talking about sorcerers.

Mixture of
>Do you have specific statblocks that you use for everything and refluff?
and
> Or do you consult KFC/the handbooks every time for quick ideas?

Random tables and the like are also helpful.

>spells you cast ignore resistance to fire damage
>any spell or effect you create ignores resistance to fire damage and treats immunity to fire damage as resistance to fire damage
>which you are already treating as ignoring

I get what it's going for but for a long second there I thought it meant fire immunity was cancelled, everybody go home.

>I'm just assuming

>Pyromancer kills himself with a fireball.
This actually sounds very thematically appropriate.