You find a unique Magic Item

>DM: You find a unique Magic Item
>Player: Ok, Firebrand? Holy Avenger?
>DM: Nope, Unique. (Hands the player a print out explaining what the item does)

We've all been playing a long time. As player's we've found- or as DMs we've given out- unique magical items that are not from any book we read, but something we created out of our own mind.

Share them here!
Over powered or rules break doesn't matter as this is the nature of the beast. Please state System you were using, level (if applicable), and maybe a description of why is break the rules if it's not a Veeky Forums standard like iunno... Mechton.

>I'll start the ball rolling with something small:
Years ago back in the days 3.5: Gave my players a small golden scarab broach. This automatically transformed into a creature (shared stats as if a familiar) for the attuned player, and the player could switch between vision and control of his own body or that of the scarab. Didn't have an intended use for it but the PC made heavy use out of it for stealth and scouting.
8 levels later it got stepping on by a beast of burden to my players dismay.

Other urls found in this thread:

hyboria.xoth.net/sorcery/heart_ahriman.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This little thing here:
hyboria.xoth.net/sorcery/heart_ahriman.htm

At one point I got irritated with a player in 3.5e demanding some method of getting new stats.

I gave him a collar that would double his current stats, but he'd have to follow the commands of the person on the other end of it, and couldn't act otherwise.

He shut up.

W-what a terrible drawback!

Kill yourself

I find that it helps to be open with your players about what your fetishes are. Keeps you honest as a GM.

In Scion I statted out a bag of holding as a relic for one player - it let him hold an amount proportionate to his legend rating, so his infinite bag could carry more as needed.

I think the most useful magic item I ever gave a party was in 3.5; a portable ram which would knock anything that failed a fort save back 10 feet.

After being subjected to its effects when wielded as a club, the party tossed it in a sack and got stuck behind a locked door. I never forgave them.

Did he shut up because his Dom wouldn't let him speak?

I have a running item I've used in every campaign. I call it: Libra Goggles. Basically it's a pair of goggles with a bunch of Detect spells (Detect Magic, Detect Alignment, etc.), Deathwatch (and any other This is their HP spell), Discern Abilites, Discern Weakness, and any other spell that can assist the wearer similarly.

Basically, it could let me hand over a character sheet and let the wearer understand everything on it. Stats, strengths, abilities, weaknesses, whatever.
They're always in every game, but some times they don't find them. It's become like an Easter egg game; be the first person to find them and you get to keep them.

I know it's "cheaty", but my players love it, they have fun with it, and I love reactions when they see a particularly badass monster.

Similarly, I like to give unique opportunities for my players to gain powerful bonuses.
>high-level PCs on planar journey
>beseeching the gods for their blessing on their travels
>one player's diety is Garl Glittergold
>the merchant god-king refuses to grant blessing without tithes
>barter ensues
>PC ends up trading all of the hair on his body for a bonus to Constitution

The storm quiver. It's got a screencap around here somewhere.

He shut up because he wasn't ready to take that step. I've never had anyone take the offer that wasn't considering the stat gain a side bonus.

>Armour of Shadow Walker
>Light Armour - AC13 + Dex
>Advantage on Stealth and Acrobatics checks
>made out of abomination spider silk
>level 2 character
>mfw

Created something for our parties alchemist in pathfinder. It was a blind extractor that allowed him to take the blood of any creature and save it then by using the blood he could cast the half-blood extraction spell (normally only usable on half-orcs) on any race. Basically if he had a sample he could infuse a human to with elf blood. It would give the infused person the racial traits of the race of the blood sample and give them a +5 to disguise themselves as another creature. They found allot of creative uses for it. Such as kidnapping a Lord and sneaking him last the guard by disguising him as a dwarf. Instead of an elf.

>OP Here
Ha awesome. Unique blessings or enchants are very welcome here as well.

I remember making a cursed weapon that was basically made from the claw of a hook horror. The pros were that it did 2d6 piercing damage, crit on a 19 or 20, was a finesse weapon, and made climbing a bit easier. The downsides is that it fuses with its wielder, basically over-writing whichever hand they were holding it in after attuning to it and it wouldn't come off without a remove curse spell with a high DC (can't remember off the top of my head), basically giving them a hook hand.

No-one in the party really had remove curse on hand at the time and the fighter rather liked having a hook for a hand since he had a pirate backstory, so he kept it. Still made it difficult to do certain things that required two hands though.

>some common, decent armor at an early level
>unique

You don't get the point of this thread, do you?

Hey all are welcome. Might be a new player, might just be a player that likes armor made out of fancy spider silk. At very least it bumps the thread.

Once got a tabard on my half-orc warder that drank some power from the dragon's corpse whose hoard we looted it from, and that would glow brightly in power when powerful evil was nearby. Sadly, we got a near-TPK, the campaign's plot and mood was heavily darkened by it (Even when it was already gritty to begin with), and the tabard never came into play again.

stole it from some reddit thread but they were called "the Gentlemen's Gloves" and gave the wearer the ability to perform the "perfect handshake". It gave no other bonuses or features.

Players fuckin, ate it up, demanded to handshake everyone they met and the npcs were constantly commenting on how great the handshake was. Far and above the most popular item in the game.

The meshugana mallet in and oWoD game.

Looked like a plastic cap gun, was actually a jew hammer.

D&D some edition-
Friend shared this one with me once. His party found a ring and found that it negated/absorbed any and all spells used on the wearer. What apparently the party could not figure out or maybe DM fiat was that the ring merely delayed all spells until the wearer took off the ring.
So after a apparently large battle the wearer, I think the fighter, took it off to receive healing from the cleric only to be pelted with all the spells at once.

I was fond of them when I ran 5e. The more "run of the mill" magic items were just enchanted to do an extra 1d4 of relevant elemental damage. With that I gave shitty simple weapons like the sickle a boost to make it usable.

My favorite is a mid-level cursed item. My party's fighter made a pact with what was essentially a medieval Murder /k/ube to kill shit in its name. It worked like the Warlock's blade pact except it was always a +1 and did a d4 necrotic damage. The curse was that he couldn't be healed by magic and all good-aligned clerics got headaches and were very unfriendly to him.

>First command is to take off the collar

One modern fantasy game I ran I had plastic army men as an enchanted item.
If you threw them down, they grew to life size and (though mute to the rest of the world) followed orders as if the tub-holder were a superior officer.

This led to strange moments like a plastic grenadier crouched over his partially-melted friend, comforting him inaudibly as he died. And two pissed-off grunts waterboarding one of the PC's enemies to death, yelling inaudible questions at him (about the firey death of their comrade).

Most brilliantly, the player concerned nipped this discipline problem in the bud by throwing down the binoculars-officer-guy from the pot and giving him a very army-style dressing down and putting him back in the tub to "spread the word."

I was so stunned I let it work.

A couple of items i've made
>deck of many trivia facts
a deck of cards that when one is drawn displays a random trivia fact about something in the world, could be anything from how farmer bob lost his shoe to where the Genie lord's secret treasure is
>Third person ring
a ring that when worn shifts perspective to that of a third person camera, allowing all the positives and drawbacks that would cause such as being able to peer around corners or from inside boxes but unable to read as the camera doesn't zoom in

I had a DM that was pretty awesome when it came to roleplay but to stuck in Grognardia of AD&D to get up to speed with mechanics. He loved making unique magic items but more often than not they never functioned that well in 3.5

>>Guy plays a Wu Jen trying to play a toned down caster knowing the DM isnt mechanically inclined
>>DM hears its element based and gives him a tiny fire elemental companion because the only good element is obviously fireball
>>Guy is playing a Water Wu Jen from Arctic-NotChina

>>Zen Archer Cleric
>>DM gives a tiny floating figurine that takes a round to wind then fires two arrows a round for 10 rounds
>>You can wind it on rounds you aren't healing
>>Never gets used because blowing a round winding it is a round not saving the Dumb PCs or doing something important

>>Same Cleric gets a magic mirrior that teaches her a new spell
>>DM didn't know Clerics get every spell
>>Homebrew buff spell was actually alright though

>>Homebrew lv9 Spell from AD&D days
>>Save or take half health in damage
>>Wail of the Banshee exists

In one of my first campaigns (for AD&D) my DM gave my paladin the armor of the saints. The armor itself acted as a full plate +2, although the modifier was quite higher, as he used a materials table to modify the AC and weight of items. The armor itself was made of bone, the human remains of the armor previous wearers. Any character that donned the armor had its soul imprinted in the item, and upon death the character would have to donate one of his bones to it.

It was heavily implied by our DM, that the item itself started as a feral intelligent necromantic amulet that was tamed long ago by a saint.

The armor was restricted to lawful good characters, and although it was not properly class restricted, it heavily preferred paladins. It also had limited spell casting potential (this was at the DM's discretion and not the player), and it could also assume control of its wearer if he ever lost consciousness, or stop the wearer's actions if he was under some form of hostile control. Additionally characters could meditate while wearing the armor to enter in communion with previous wearers.

Appearance wise the armor looked like a normal plate armor, made of bone plates and overlaid with softened skeletal features.

I mean, neat I guess, but easily becomes redundant with other abilities.

One for the dragonborn barbarian:

Gauntlets of the Draconian - Black metal gauntlets, faint scale pattern. When worn, +1 AC. When worn by a dragonborn, the color shifts to match their skin and the scales become more pronounced. When the wearer hits, they may add 1d6 of their breath weapon damage to any weapon damage roll, 3 times per day. At dawn, roll a d6. On a roll of 5 or 6, the dragonborn gains an extra use of their breath weapon, only usable that day.

For the fighter:

Hammer of Akun - Warhammer. On a damage roll that is even, add 1d4 thunder damage. On a critical, the hammer casts Compelled Duel on the target (DC 13). This ability only functions once per day.

Fot the paladin:

Brand of the Faithful
Hilt - Gold and ivory greatsword hilt. Celestial writing on grip. Golden fist of Tyr. When the command phrase is spoken the blade glows as a torch. While the blade is glowing, all smites do an extra 1d4 radiant damage. The word “Peace.” ends this effect.
Blade - Long, steel. Greatsword sized. Celestial writing down the blade. When the command phrase is spoken, cold black fire surrounds the blade. While this fire is present, all smites do an extra 1d4 necrotic damage. The word “Peace.” ends this effect.
Whole sword. - If the two pieces are combined, both effects may be activated at once. If both effects are active, and half or more of the d8s rolled for a smite are 1s, the smite does not consume a spell slot.

I don't really play D&D anymore, but boy do I love making minor mostly harmless magic items for CoC and related games.

>an Indian woven bracelet with a bit of white coyote fur attached to it, makes skin itch when instakill death is imminent. Like a truck running over you at full speed. Doesn't warn about any other dangers, like getting shot and bleeding out.

>a shard of mirror that shows a weird reflection of reality where everything is black and white, and instead of people shows their shadows only.

>a sword that is indestructible by any means. If held for a full day, not necessarily continuous, will urge the wielder to impale himself on it. Other than that, behaves like a normal longsword.

>a coin that has two heads, but when flipped, always shows tails.

>a tiny (about 1 cm across) glass sphere that falls upwards. If released in the open, it will fall into the sky and be lost forever.

>a pencil that removes the memory of writing with it, and only that. As in, you sit down to write something and suddenly you already wrote everything you wanted to write and some time passed.

>a 9x19 round that always jams the gun it's fired from.

>a harmonica that produces sounds an hour after they are "played".

>a cracked transparent modern German police riot shield, with the cracks forming the Elder Sign tree with other Elder Signs branching out of it like a fractal. Doesn't really do anything unnatural.

>a fire extingusher that contains a fire vampire and will release it when someone attempts to use it.

Boring. They literally add some numbers and nothing else. I'd suggest at least giving them some history, and it better not be generic.

>use magic to force someone to follow your commands
>command them to allow you to speak freely once you have the collar on
>put collar on, have your thrall on the other end
>command them to command you to do whatever you want
>enjoy power boost
>if the DM is clever you now fuck things up because you have no impulse control
I tried to powergame, ended up with what could be a good roleplaying opportunity.

ive been wanting to make sticky weapons that glue people and what not to surfaces and not other players. ive been wondering if its too silly or too powerful

A few years back, I created two swords; Rage and Shame. If you wield Rage, you are immune to Charm and permanently affected by the Rage spell, but you attack everyone around you. If you wield Shame, you are Immune to Compulsion, but you are permanently affected by Crushing Despair (regardless of immunity, obviously).

If you wield both, you are immune to Mind-Affecting, and you are permanently affected as if by a 1st level Barbarian Rage, including the drawbacks.

Fluff-wise, the swords make you consumed with their namesake emotion. Mindless creatures got no benefit.

They were made by Drow, obviously. Rage for the gladiator pits and Shame as a light punishment for the house guard.

This is the exact philosophy I use in my 5e game.
+ to hit breaks the game, not having magic weapons breaks the game.
And "+1 sword" is boring as sin.
So instead I give things that feel special.

The last thing I gave was the Emberforged Edge, to a fourth level party.
Battleaxe. The first attack made with it each round deals 1d4 fire damage to the target, even if the attack misses. Can cast Burning Hands once per day. Grants fire resistance for a round as a reaction once per day
Also automatically sets both wielder and victim on fire if the wielder grapples anything or is grappled and deals 1d8 damage in a ten foot line when it downs a creature, but the party doesn't know those properties yet.

It's one of those things that would be really silly in a proper powergamer's hands, but in the hands of a no-fun faggot it would quickly become boring.

It's powerful either way.

Well, who doesn't love this sort of shit? I once ended up describing the hat of one of their major enemies in too much detail, and guess what their most important piece of loot was?

Wanted to give it to one of my players for a 5e campaign we just started, but none of them went Cleric or Paladin, so not sure when I'll get to use it.

Basically its a holy warhammer. The head of the hammer would have tiny holes either on the side or all over it. If you submerge it in water it will slowly fill a chamber within the head. Any water that enters the hammer is automatically blessed and becomes holy water, sprinkling out as you swing and spraying out when it impacts something. Basically it would be a normal warhammer most of the time, but if you take the time to fill it with water every so often, it will deal bonus radiant damage to undead and fiends.

Also another non-implemented idea was a lense, maybe like a monocle, if you hold it to your eye, you can see little portals next to sleeping creature's heads and watch their dreams.

I let the party buy "gale-force reading glasses" from a friendly lich. They increase reading speed by some exponential factor of 2, depending on the quality of the glasses they got. They might also come with additional benefits, such as automatic comprehend languages. Of course, extreme variants such as the x128 reading glasses require an intelligence saving throw to comprehend the massive inflow of knowledge, taking a lot of psychic damage and gaining no benefit from the reading on a failed save.

The party paladin of all people makes the greatest use of them.

I will soon be giving my party a fingerless glove that, when touching a creature, gives the user a random flash of the creature's past. It could be anything from relevant, such as reading battle plans, to pointless, such as the second before being touched by the glove. Since I expect the monk will want to wear it while doing unarmed strikes, I know I'll have to get creative with pointless mook stories.

I was playing a Star Wars campaign where the PCs were all Sith in the Old Republic era, and we were originally supposed to find some powerful Force artifact for our benefactor higher up in the Sith hierarchy.

The DM homebrewed some rules on the Force that was pretty much intended, since we were all Sith, to give us buffs based on emotional state (for example, being mad makes your stats better for a time). It ended up being kinda DBZ power level-tier but it worked out well enough during the game.

I was playing a sorcerer build, so my Force power was pretty high, but still not high enough to use the artifact, which the DM intended for our benefactor to use for his evil plot or whatever and was never meant to be used by the players.

Anyway, during the artifact's transport, our shuttle was shot down by some Mandalorians looking to rob us or something, and we were stranded. The Mando commander killed by one of the PCs, which was my character's best friend, and the resulting need for vengeance pushed my character over the threshold to be able to use the artifact. The DM played along, because I guess he assumed that after the commander was dead, I'd go back to normal.

The artifact basically just generated magical thunderstorms that would destroy anything in the area, with altitude making the effect more potent. Like if you were on top of a mountain, the effect would be more far-reaching than if you were at sea level. Given that this was basically intended to be a plot device, I don't think the DM thought about how this could be abused.

I had my character basically swear vengeance on Mandalorians in general, and he was still pretty pissed even after the commander was dead, as was the rest of the party. So, one of the other PCs decided that we should get revenge on those dirty barbarians and drove our evac shuttle to where our party's "base" was located to get a bigger ship, rather than take the artifact to the drop off.

So we fly to Mandalore, barely enter orbit, and the PC that was piloting starts hovering the ship in midair. He tells me to use the artifact. Since we're so high up, it's obscenely powerful and decimates stupidly large areas. After that, we're basically just dodging anti-aircraft fire while genociding mandos. I was surprised the DM went along with it desu.

DND 5E

My setting has two sets of very old relic weapons, their origin unclear, but those who wielded them carved a place for their people in history. They help you kill, but more importantly, they help you lead.

They essentially gateways through which half-dead godlike beings that once shaped the world tap into a person, slowly replacing their personality. One of my players found one, but the party doesn't really know what it does. It syncs up well with the story, they're about to go to war and I'll have allied soldiers be strangely drawn to following him. The weapon (a longbow) will get more powerful as it is used more, but I'll gradually make it apparent that the character has certain urges to do things he wouldn't usually do. I'll make it clear that the "damage" will be severe and unchangeable a while before I have it start making any kind of permanent changes to personality.

Holy Jesus Fucking Christ.

That is the most simplistic yet brilliant idea I have seen in a long time.

>Want PCs to learn about your world?
>Suddenly they find a Deck of Many Trivia Facts

Just balance it with how effective it is; maybe besides rolling to hit, the player needs to roll to stick it to something too or the enemy can make a dexterity save to avoid being stuck, you could also vary how long it takes and how difficult it is to get unstuck.

>so you enter the room, and within, on an illuminated pedestal is an incredibly shiny scabbard with an even shinier hilt coming out of it
>I'll pick it up
>roll up an INT save? Right
>*yawn* "hm? Oh hey, another person... Let's see."
>"bah. Another follower of Pelor? Man, why can't a gnome ever pick me up, that would be way more fun."
>"Alright, this sword is talking to me, anyone else want it?"
>"Fat chance, you can't get rid of me"
Paraphrased

Thus the paladin gained "Zaburbo," a cursed sentient sword that while otherwise acting as a +2 weapon refused to stay gone and would make snide comments occasionally.

this would be a great match with the decanter of endless water.

It's shaped like a star with a little flame inside it!

Ha made these up just now.

>Pieces O' Eight.

Hook Hand of Horror
>Bottle labelled Accent
Drinking from the bottle will bestow a thick mariner accent, and swearing issues, but become a little more silver tongued.

>Eye Patch
Lose an eye, and become illiterate to any written word more than a page. Insight in to Weather and Sailing. Patches know patches; you are able to automatically identify when something has been repair and and are able to tell what originally damaged the item.

>Boot
Next morning, Replaces one leg with a Peg leg, Makes you more sure footed and slightly faster movement.

>Tattoo Ink
Covers you body in Tattoos. The tattoo`s depict events in the wear`s life obviously which may be helpful or hindrance to depending people you meet.
Able to "Copy" a natural 20 to use in similar situations, but the DM can force a Natural 1 some time that session on you for each use.

>Cursed Coin
50/50 chance upon gaining any monetary treasure: Tails treasure turns to ask, Head: Doubles the value. Can`t affect previously affected treasure. This sounds crazy, but assuming it evens out in the long run.

>Bloody Needle
Pricking yourself will cause your blood to turn black and tar like. Any Oath, Word, or Promise given you must keep. Gain an advantage when fulfilling a specific Oath, gain a disadvantage when working against the Oath. A permanent disadvantage on everything if you irremediably break your Oath. Advantage/Disadvantage or Gaes spell as DMs choice.

>Dead Man`s Chest
A small chest when opened stores your soul. Immune to possession and death effects. When killed your soul is trapped in davey jones locker. Every morning you wake up buried up to you neck in the the earth, if you are within a mile of a beach you are buried there instead.

The items are slowly attracted to the locations of the other items. You may not remove and get rid of any item without a Remove Curse Spell. They are not meant to be major hindrance. Just minor ones.

+1

I had a magic item called Peppercorn. He was a mintoaur forcibly polymorphed into a ham. He could still talk and was very upset people thought he was a pig.

He swung as a +1 club.

For some reason I don't remember why I did that, I just know my party found him amusing.

I run a homebrew, very low magic setting with only human characters. It used wod as a springboard but sheets only resembles it superficially at this point. You always get a turn as you die, with death coming at the end of the turn. There is no revival mechanic, barring this one consumable.

>•medicine made from grey matter, with traces of lingering memories
•swallow whilst dying,
you will awaken in the last place you slept as though the events leading to your death were all a bad dream
•occasionally gets details of the person wrong, I.E. wrong eye color, subtle mutations, etc.
•consumes one permanent humanity upon awakening. Side effects exacerbated with use.

This item is especially interesting in theory if it were used on a dying companion, as the person administering it would not perceive any change and simply watch them die, then just have to hope it did something. This has not been tried in game though.

Sack of Leaves -- A modest-size sack of dry, autumn leaves that seems to be almost empty. If shaken, a light sprinkle of leaves will fall out of it, seeming to be the last dregs that were caught in the bag. But another shake will dislodge just as many leaves, and another the same. No matter how many leaves you shake out of the bag (or pull out by hand), the bag will always seem to contain the same amount as when you started. The number of leaves that can be extracted from the sack is limitless, though obviously obtaining large amounts can take a while.

I can break a game with this.

>I can break a game with this.
I don't know about breaking the game, but it's meant to be exploited.

I'm sorry, I meant to say there is a specific campaign l could break with this.

Anyway, a dancing boss dropped a shamshir that relies strictly and completely on performance and style to deal damage, and a fairly high ceiling on how high it could hit in the hands of a charismatic acrobat.

Our party wizard got a Cape of Endless Flapping. As the name suggests, it flapped endlessly, no matter the conditions the party was in, like there was always a gentle breeze under it

Inverse Pitcher -- A pitcher that pours in reverse. When it is tilted forwards as if to pour, it instead attracts a stream of liquid from any source of liquid that lies directly below it (whether it's 1 foot below it or 100), making it look like somebody is playing a film backwards. The pitcher does fill up, at which point the stream ends, but its contents can be tossed or dumped out if the pitcher is turned sideways.

Drum of Distance -- When you strike this drum, no sound will be heard immediately around you. Instead, at what would normally be *just* out of earshot of the drum, the sound of the drum will begin and radiate outwards. The harder you hit the drum, the further away this is.

I made a boarding pistol artifact in fantasycraft for a former pirate PC. She found it on the dead captain of a ghost ship. It completely destroys spirits, doesn't need bullets and there's no need to reload it. There is however a curse to come with these boons. The user slowly starts taking cold damage every shot. The amount taken increases every 5 shots and doesn't ever lower again. If she ever falls unconscious from using it, i have a subplot planned where the party will have to hunt down a revived pirate captain to reclaim her soul from him before her body dies.

I have warned the player that there is a curse of some sort but haven't explained what it does yet.

>Our party wizard got a Cape of Endless Flapping.
I read that as "a cape of endless fapping," and I was gonna say that you don't need a cape for that.

My players recently helped out a thousand year old wizard move on from the mortal realm, the only thing they received was an antique wooden box that's been in the wizards possession all his life. The box wasn't originally magical but after 1000 or so years it's picked up some sort of magical scent. Detect magic shows that it is magical in some way however it's impossible for the players to figure out what kind of magic it possesses.

Before that session I bought an old chest from an op shop and now use it to store character sheets, dice, tokens etc. In between sessions I aim to have a random piece of equipment within the chest become enchanted. This won't get out of hand as we play monthly at most, and I feel like it's a fun aspect to the game. The party is rather low levelled and consists of a rogue, paladin, ranger and bard.

This thread has piqued my interest, I was going to give them simple upgrades like +1 to hit or damage but now I want them to feel more unique. You could probably guess their gear by what class they're playing, what would be some cool and unique enchantments for their equipment?

>Lose an eye,
The vast majority of sailors with eye patches had two good eyes.
The whole point of the eye patch was actually that they had two good eyes.

The goal of a sailor's eye patch to produce pic related.
Spending a lot of time in the dark makes your eyes makes your eyes adjust to see better in the dark.
Spending a short amount of time in the light makes your eyes adjust to see better in the light.

Fire hazards are a big no-no and supplies are limited, so below deck mostly very dark.
They use those metal grill 'windows' to get light below, but shits still dark.

So anyways, they eye patch:
People working below deck would wear an eye patch.
If they had to (briefly) go above deck, they'd cover an eye so it would stay adjusted to the dark.
Then, when they return below deck, they still/already have one eye adjusted to see in the dark.

>The items are slowly attracted to the locations of the other items.
Anything special happen when you collect the whole set? Or are you just a pirate?
Are all the treasures in the hands of other psuedo-piartes?
Are the items unique? Are there loads of duplicates?
Did every pirate become a pirate by collecting a set?

>his has not been tried in game though.
Have NPCs do it on-screen.

paladin:
A piece of equipment is enchanted and bestows upon him, when he is harmed, a visage of holy fury. As the paladin takes more damage, his eyes begin to glow, his weapon shines, etc. He gets a bonus to intimidation and some enemies may wish to flee from him (become afraid) rather than fight. Either give him a bonus to intimidation or make some mooks roll a fear check, easy when he's hardly wounded but reasonably difficult when he's in danger of being downed.

This could really be on any piece of equipment, preferably something seemingly mundane that won't be quickly replaced.

Bard: (Instrument) of Like-Mindedness.
The bard's instrument becomes enchanted such that if party members or those the bard otherwise wishes to be effected make social checks (deceit, persuasion, etc.) and the target can hear the music, the check is made with advantage.

Rogue: the Disabler
A dagger (or other small weapon) which causes targets to cease to function. Magical of mechanical traps can be disabled if any part, even a non-vital one, is hit by this weapon, including with a ranged (throwing) attack. Living targets must make a constitution save or lose their movement (Large targets have movement halved, larger targets lose no movement, or perhaps five feet, and similarly large machines may only function partially or may not be effected at all).

Ranger: Beast Master
The ranger's weapon has a commanding effect on enemies of animal intelligence. If such a target is successfully hit by the Ranger's attack, it must make a wisdom save. On a fail, it will attack the nearest enemy of the ranger one time. On a success it resists (perhaps it prefers to attack targets other than the ranger for that round).

Didn't think much of balance, mostly just practicing coming up with non-boring items myself since I'm new to dming

neat

I did that all the time, but my friends and I are all newbs. And I was a newb DM.

They beat this tough guard guy. Got a belt that never let them "fall". They did some really cool, creative stuff with that.

Beat a necromancer girl. Kept her corpse in a trunk just in case. They started using bits of her body for potions and shit. Her eyeballs let them see ghosts. Her ears let them hear messages from the dead.

They killed a final boss who knew their every move. He wore a mask that buffed perception. One of my players kept it, and he perceives all the stuff. They still fall into traps, because you have to know what you're looking for -- but it forces me to be more creative than a "trap door with spikes".

Really enjoyable to create your own cool items, and try to let your players use them creatively to solve problems instead of just STAT BOOSTERS.

>Stone of Transference
A red gemstone slotted into a special lead necklace that saps life out of living things and death out of dead things, transferring it into the stone as a method of storage. If the stone is full of life, it heals and damages undead, but if it's full of death, it rots away organic material rapidly. If overfilled with either to an arbitrary limit, the stone will violently detonate in an explosion of life or death energy, either causing cancerous levels of healing to the point of death from positive energy, or rapid rotting and raising as undead from negative energy.

The player who had this used it to kill a higher level enemy by overfilling the stone with positive energy and teleporting away before the detonation happened.

Wow, that dagger fits the rogue too well. He may be a rogue, but he is adverse to killing. Disabling them is his ideal outcome.

Thank you!

>Ulfir
Golden sword forged from one of Idunn's apples of immortality as a bane to corruptions of life. Deals extra damage to demons and undead and grants the wielder the ability to smite to a limited extent. Refuses to strike others unless they are truly black at heart.

Had a DM create an item for me while I was playing a monk in pathfinder. I basically wanted to play as a professional wrestler, so I was given a mask that would repair any non-magical item that was broken by the wearer while using that item as a weapon. In addition, any improvised weapons used by the wearer would deal damage as if they were a size class larger than they were. Many, many people were smacked down by chairs.

I created around 40 magic items for an artefact thread that just went down.

The Trickster Set: a sword that does bludgeoning damage, a mace that does piercing damage and a spear that does slashing damage.

So basically a blunt sword, a spiked mace and a spear with the blade on the side instead of a tip?

Doesn't strike me as too exciting, you'll have to present the set in the right way to make it interesting.

Needle Bird Facade. A splintery wooden mask with a long beak that transformed the wearer into a white bird with feathers that ended in sharp quills. Every 12 hours, the user has to pass a willpower check or avoid losing a point in intelligence and fight off the animal instincts.

Speaks of triggered but that's fine.

user, first off I knew what eye patches were used for. It's not a pirate patch, it's a cursed item. Functional accuracy takes a back seat.

What stops them from wearing it for 11 hours?

Hey my DM wants to get me a special Item in Pathfinder

but he's really drawing blanks when it comes to the mechanics of how something should work.

I'm playing an Occultist and the items he's given me is my new Transmutation Implement, my character has 'yet to discover' what it truly does. My DM is attempt to have it do something related to Arcane Magic.
I'm level 6, but that shouldn't matter as all Occultist stuff is suppose to level with you.

Any suggestion you can give to him Veeky Forums?

>Tome of Ornithology
Whenever its owner tears a page from this heavy tome, the page folds itself into an origami bird. This bird follows the mental commands of the book's owner and can attack his enemies with its sharp beak.

>Gravedigger's Shovel
Anybody slain with this surprisingly sharp shovel stays dead - his remains are unaffected by necromancy of any sort. Existing undead take double damage from it.

>Murderboard
A mortarboard cap with a noose taken from a hanged criminal instead of a tassel. Any wearer of this hat gains comprehensive knowledge of murdering, learning how to use any object to kill any creature. He immediately forgets it as soon as he takes the hat off.

>Mighty Quill
A rapier-sized quill sturdy enough to be used as a thrusting weapon and pierce armour. Its tip is constantly oozing magical ink. Anyone poisoned with this ink feels a strong rush of inspiration, making him unable to concentrate on anything except composing terrible poetry.

>Coat Henchman
An enchanted coat hanger. When you put at least one piece of top and bottom clothing on it, the clothes come alive as if worn by an invisible person and will follow the mental commands of the coat hanger's owner. Any damage done to the clothes is quickly regenerated, only the coat hanger can really be harmed.

It's not 11 hours straight, it's cumulative.

>Gravedigger's Shovel

I like this one a lot, I can picture the character for it really clearly, a gruff old cleric who got really sick of apprentice necromancers raiding their graveyard and just wants the damn bodies to stay in the fucking ground. He only joined the adventuring party because one the the necromancers they are fighting raised a body from his graveyard and he's not stopping until he tracks it back down and puts it back in the plot the family paid for

Floating ring.
A simple bronze ring, that under any given circumstance floats 4 feet above ground. No force can change the altitude but jumping off a cliff will have the effect of feather fall until it reaches 4 feet.

When people really piss him off, he unwraps his second weapon - a huge hammer topped with a gravestone.

>The Majestic High Crown of the Emperor Abraham, First of His Name and Protector of Righteousness

This is a crown of magnificent value and craftsmanship which when placed on the head of a beggar or insane will immediately give them delusions of grandeur and power. They truly believe that they are the ruler of all they survey and issue edicts and mandates. Everybody without class levels within earshot of these proclamations will follow them to the spirit with a bemused acceptance so long as these proclamations to not cause direct harm. The person wearing the crown is effected as a Vow of Poverty but is able to utilize "gifts to his Majesty" without issue, the crown cannot be lost, stolen, traded, or sold. Only found or passed down the line of succession. If worn by a noble or sane individual they immediately believe that the jewels and gold are fake and toss the Crown away.

Bonus points for the reference

If you have a Thrall to use, why not just put the collar on them?

You get to keep your free will, and end up with an OP meat puppet on the end of a leash.

In 4E there was an item that was effectively a bola with sovereign glue on either end.

How about a thrown weapon that you can call back to hand in a direct line, with a word of command? Like toss an axe at someone, it hits, they pull it out to continue fighting. The player moves location, next round uses bonus action to call the axe and it spirals back toward him, hitting an enemy in the back?

High heels of Charisma?

"High Heels of Self-Mutilation" would be more realistic.

Looks like Court of the Crimson King

I love it.

An infinitely strong and sharp longsword, with an indestructible leather scabbard. When you draw it, your hand cramps onto it with inexorable and painful force. You cannot let go until it is sheathed, and after that you may never draw it again.

So basically a one time use super badass lightsaber.

My last game had a few of these.

The rogue had a small carved wooden leaf on a leather thong are her neck. If it was touching the skin when the character grasped a leaf or blade of grass, that leaf or grass blade would turn into a similarly shaped dagger. The daggers were relatively mundane dagger +1, but one round after being released they became a leaf or grass again.
The player kept a pouch of leaves 'for smoking' at her characters hip at all times. She only really used it as a source of infinite throwing knives. I felt kinda bad giving it to her too since she turned out to be a massive fucking That Gal.

The party bard had a lute that had belonged to her father before he passed away - he was killed and the lite was broken by the killing blow. When she got it fixed she discovered that the lute gave significant bonuses to performance, and allowed her to enthrall an audience of variable size depending on how well she played. She didn't realise that the character's father' soul had been encased in the lute. Every time she used it to enthrall, a small slip of his soul faded away to the afterlife. He didn't mind this - he just enjoyed being able to see his little girl all grown up and becoming a bard just like he had been.
If his soul had ever completely dissipated, she would've felt a sense on unexplainable loss and the lute's bonuses would've halved. She was in the midst of trying to get the spell identified - which would've revealed her fathers soul - when the game ended.

The Druid had a sliver of a worldtree from her religion which basically allowed her to channel its energy - it could become an 'energy' stave at will, doing force damage. Effectively a stave of energy would spring from either end of the sliver. Think Marcus' minbari pike from Bab5 I guess.

The human noble warrior had a family signet ring which allowed him to commune with his dead ancestors at will. The player had a lot of fun with it, and didn't mind that she got the 'non combat' magic item.

>Fail check
>"You know have the urge to shit bomb a party member"
Fucking birds.

Why not be accurate with them? High Heels of the Cavalry. Gives bonuses to ride checks.

About two years ago, I was playing a short campaign with a few buddies. We were fairly low levelled, and was for the most part more of a fluffy game than a crunchy one. The DM was running with some cryptids as weird monsters we were researching, and we, as every party in a horror-esque game should, camped in an abandoned cabin in the woods.
That night, we were attacked by the Jersy-Devil. In theory, we were supposed to run from it and solve its mystery, but the bard was sleeping outside for some reason and we rushed in to save him.
Long story short, we wound up killing the thing, and my character turned it into clothes. The DM whipped up some rules, and I got basically a nice suit of chain with a glide speed and charge bonuses. And I got serious street cred for wearing the Jersy Devil to a later social event.

I love paired items, or cycles.
Back when 4e came out, I was running a game and had a twinned sword: Rapture and Rupture.

Rapture gave you morale bonuses, and did radiant damage. Rupture gave you weaponized cysts.

The fun part was when the PCs realized they could combine the two- it became vampiric, healing the user when they deal damage, and retained the other abilities, plus, if it killed somebody with a cyst on them, they exploded, spreading cysts to all nearby enemies.

>Slingshot of Vandalism
Any object shot with this large slingshot deals triple damage to architecture, works of art or any decorated objects, including ornate armour.

>Mars Swordtrap
This suit of patinated bronze armour is covered in thick ivy. Its vines immediately ensnare any metallic weapons or projectiles that strike at the armour, making them very hard to retrieve. They feed by slowly oxidising the objects caught in this manner.

>Bog Club
A club made from a rotting gnarly snag. While the club itself deals about as much damage as you'd expect a piece of rotting wood to do, it leaves dozens of extremely sharp splinters in the target's armour that penetrate it, burrow into the flesh and pierce the vital organs.

>Crayon of Creation
When its cap is taken off, the tip of this baton-sized crayon begins leaving a trace in the air. While the trace looks drawn, it's in fact a tangible physical object fixed in space and can be used for a variety of tasks such as climbing.

>Runic Braces
When these braces are affixed to somebody's teeth, the teeth attain diamond-like hardness, sharpness and cannot be dislocated except by extreme force. The wearer of runic braces can bite through anything or even use his teeth to gnaw through solid rock or castle walls.

>suit of chain
Missed opportunity to turn it into a jersey, but then again I don`t peg Veeky Forums for knowing sports.