Warship general

>No Naval wargaming thread
>No Spaceship thread
Whynotboth.jpg

Can we have a thread for all battleships, past and future?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cqFpEfpj_Ns&t=4s
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/113873/hunters-german-u-boats-war-1939-43
nws-online.proboards.com/thread/449/badnoughts-experiment
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anyone have any good Halo-UNSC type battleships? Really dig that aesthetic

Is this halo-ish enough? I don't have any actual Halo ships.

If your sailors don't hate life it's not realistic.

Can some list off some good tabletop ship battle games?

All I have are
>Star Wars: Armada
>Firestorm: Armada
>Halo Fleet Battles
>Dropfleet commander
>Jovian Wars

Boys the genre seems so.... sparse.

Full Thrust
Attack Vector
Babylon 5: Wars (OOP)
B5: A Call to Arms (OOP)

>Star Wars: Armada - a couple of people play it
>Firestorm: Armada - nobody plays it
>Halo Fleet Battles - nobody plays it
>Dropfleet commander - nobody plays it
>Jovian War - nobody plays it
>Full Thrust - nobody plays it
>Attack Vector - nobody plays it
>Babylon 5: Wars (OOP) - nobody plays it
>B5: A Call to Arms (OOP) - nobody plays it
>Battlefleet Gothic (OOP) - nobody plays it
>AeroTech - nobody plays it

Liking to play with spaceships is suffering.

So, I have never seen the anime or played the game, but apparently there's a miniatures game for "Star Blazers", which is apparently just localized Space Battleship Yamato. I have a blister pack of a ship from it that I got during a yard sale, does anyone know if the game is good?

Man I miss that feel of ramming tyranid hive ships into imperial navy

Indeed it is, user. Indeed it is. There's a reason I have a shitton of B5 stuff for all four of the major young races and a small fleet of Raiders. If nothing else, I can bop somebody on the head and teach them, or play solo.

I wound up with one in a lot of ships I'd bought to use as raiders and civvy objectives. I've got what is apparently a Gamilon carrier that's an Revenge (Upgraded) according to a wiki.

>spessbump

>inb4 someone posts shipgirls

>TFW nobody wants to talk about spess ships.

>tfw want to play battlefleet gothic
>tfw only have paper models
>tfw no one near me plays, or has any interest in playing

>Halo Fleet Battles

That looks a bit fun. Is it?

It's the same basic rulesset as Firestorm Armada. If you like FA, or by extension Dystopian Wars, then you'd probably think Halo was fun.

Nobody cares about big ships. Space fighters are where it's at. That's why Xwing is such a more popular and thus better game.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people love WW2 dogfighting INNNN SPAAAAACE, others love age of sail broadsides/WW2 battleships INNNN SPAAAAACE.

>others love age of sail broadsides/WW2 battleships INNNN SPAAAAACE.

If those people mattered, then they'd have a popular game.

I'd be a lot more interested if I could find a more grounded setting. But then again, realistic space combat is essentially mutually assured destruction: nuclear powered rocket jousting edition. I'm not really sure how to spin that into a decent game.

It would probably need to end up just being some sort of broad spectrum simulation game that covers a whole lot more than combat in order to have any real depth.

More Revelation space, Blindsight; less Star Wars and Halo.

I recently binged Space Battleship Yamato 2199, the modern remake, and it was actually pretty fantastic.
The sequel's coming out later this month, too.

As always the question is, what is best in life?

Also, thread visual/audio stimulant.
youtube.com/watch?v=cqFpEfpj_Ns&t=4s

FILL IT, ANONS, I FUCKING DARE YOU.

Done.

Attack Vector at least has rules for proper Newtonian physics. That'd be a huge start right there. Otherwise, go outside miniatures and do solo type games in the vein of The Hunters.

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/113873/hunters-german-u-boats-war-1939-43

The closest would be a mash up of Realistic and Armor. I like functional looking ships. Each part has its place. You can point to any piece and know exactly what its use is and why it is there. There is nothing extra, no thought given to looks. Just pure functionality.

Thanks.

I would kill for BFG to be restarted again, given a bit of an update (can be as simple as making it I go, you go instead of one person moving everything first) and given support and life. It seems like it could actually do well.

>Star Wars: Armada - a couple of people play it
The sad thing is, while it is the only one that is even somewhat played, it isn't nearly as enjoyable or well put together as most the rest of the games on that list.

>The Hunters
I prefer Silent Victory, personally. Mainly for simply having more stuff. Like sub vs sub encounters, which are fun except when they end in a draw after a three-day engagement where you expended 14 torpedoes, scored 10 hits, and had all of them be duds.

remove buord REMOVE BUORD

The game is old school. Grognards will approve. Good is entirely by preference.

>pixy as a pilot
Enjoy getting V2'd after he inevitably defects.

Did Starblazers 2199
AKA Battleship Yamato 2199
The recent really good remake,

...get dubbed?

I can't find an english dub of it fucking ANYWHERE, but wikipedia says making the dub started back in 2013.

I swear to god I watched it spoken in English, and now I can only find subbed.

I'd ask /a/, but it's a shit board

IIRC, the company that license it stopped after the first few episodes due to sales. As for if it was dubbed or not I can't recall though I think it was suppose to be.

>i'd ask /a/, but they'd rightfully bully me for inquiring about shitty dubs

fix'd.

Honestly more worried about the shit Sienar and Mordin come up with than the eventually V2ing but that's what part of the fun.

R8 my battlecruiser.

Not-a-badnaught/10

nws-online.proboards.com/thread/449/badnoughts-experiment

>WW2 battleships INNNN SPAAAAACE.

So getting sunk like bitches by carriers in space?

>our destroyers are basically light cruisers
>half our battleships are really heavy cruisers
>our cruisers get to be there

>lets order one of those newfangled battlecruisers from britain
>what should it be like?
>she should be both slower and worse armored than her british counterparts and carry casemate guns in an arrangement that will render half of them useless due to excessive wetting

What's that from?

Rule the Waves

Is it any good?

Do you want to mash your diseased creations against computer's fisherian nightmares?

To be fair, they also gave us this.

>B5 is by far your favorite sci fi IP
>there will never be new content

Truly suffering

My mom bought me a B5 tabletop game as a kid and I only got to play a few games with it

>tfw there will never be more B5
>tfw there will never be a remake or reimagining

it bothers my inner autist that there is no "up" or "down" in space.

The enemy's gate is down.

So basing for naval miniatures... plain clear plastic, opaque figured sea surfaces, colored translucent bases, or translucent bases with waves figured and painted onto it? What are your preferences, Veeky Forums?

Thin card bases with water effects on top.

I don't like my ships sitting half a cm above the regular playing area.

Post best DDs.

>tfw no dreadnought-era battle lines beating the fuck out of each other INNNN SPAAAAACE

>TFW no legend of galactic heroes style line infantry tactics in SPAAAAACE wargame.

I like the way you think.

Nips only took out two US BBs.
US BBs took out most of the jap airforce.

This, guided missiles, not airplanes, are what killed the battleship. A combat ready battleship with adequate AAA is more than a match for WWII era aircraft. Moreso if it has air support of it's own.

And even to the extent that missiles killed the battleship, it wasn't that large ships were particualarly vulnerable, but rather that missiles allowed smaller ships to carry the same amount of firepower. Battleships weren't cost effective anymore.

Eh, it's more arguable that the flaw in WW2 era aircraft is staying power rather than damage. If the full Fast Carrier Task Force had hit Kurita's Center Force in the early stages of Leyte Gulf instead of less than a third they'd probably have sunk several of the BBs rather than just Musashi, but the fleet would still be able to get through.

Japanese BBs didn't have anywhere near as much AAA as american ones did. Like holy fuck, all those 5 inch twin turrets you see slapped onto american Cruisers and BBs, those are DP guns that can fire radar triggered proximity detonating shells.

Traditionalist

>Vauquelin-class
>not Le Fantasque
do you even gofast

Well there's one, but it's jap and imho could have been better.

How about Battlefleet Gothic? Still popular despite having no official support.

>Saint Mattis
>Doc Chakwas

Patrician taste, user

>WW2 battleships INNNN SPAAAAACE
Does Dropfleet Commander count?

>Ctrl+F
>Starfire
>Aurora
>0 results

An Autist-free thread: Excellent!

Now for the important part:
Anyone know of any (true) mass fleet-scale Space-battle rules out there?

Like: fast-moving, with lots of ships and bucketfuls of dice - for example.

Haha time for Universal Century

They look like Firestorm RSN stuff

Yeah there is a lot of similarity. I'm assuming that the guys who made Firestorm borrowed some of the designs from Gundam seeing as Gundam's designs came out first.

neat, had no idea
thanks bro

>16 catapults on a 48 MS ship
WHY

Also,
>bring back a Dogosse Giar for Unicorn
>all it does is job
Feels bad man

>That sure is a nice 1st CarDiv you have there, would be a shame if someone were to accidentally lead the enemy right to it.

Good taste, ultra civilized, even if your engineer looks a little rapey.
Privateer detected.

Bump for spaceships

Tbf she only did them a favor by letting Americans to put crippled conversions out of their misery.

Because the Federation is fucking incompetent.

The B5 games were so good they got me to watch the show.

The IJN just refused to cut down on dedicated secondary batteries to fit more 127mm Type 89 emplacements into their designs. By the time the 100mm Type 98 came around it was probably too late to retrofit their capital ships with them, despite the fact that they were genuinely quite good.

And their light AA was a joke.

>Not meeting halfway between space and naval ships.