PBTA

>Talk to people about homebrewing a system
>They tell me that PBTA is a good system to use.
>Heard from Veeky Forums that its some meme reddit game. But decide to look it up anyways.
>Try to look up the generic rules, but they don't seem to exist
>Find someone talking about "Simple world" a generic fan made version. The post has a link.
>Follow it, page is dead. Decide to look around the rest of the site to see if its around.
>buriedwithoutceremony.com/
>Look at the games, maybe it was renamed.
>Monsterhearts: A game about monster romances inspired by twilight
>Well that looks fucking awful.
>"Dream Askew is a game about post-apocalyptic lives. It’s a game that queers the post-apocalyptic genre, exploring how the apocalyptic process could impact our sexuality, genders, livelihoods, experiences of marginalization, and experiences of liberation."
>"impact our sexuality, genders...experiences of marginalization"
>Hmm lets see, terrible indie games where the writer is clearly obsessed with sexualities and being a victim. This has tumblr written all over it.
>"Dream Askew is a game about and for queers. If you’re queer, the game is free and you can access it by clicking below. Not queer? How about making a $5 donation before clicking."
>Holy shit.
>Go back to original link
>"Simple world by Joe Macdonald"
>Go to that page again.
>Games by Avery Alder
>Look at "About me"
>Find this picture
>Jesus christ its a fucking MTF transvestite.

There could not possibly be a worse impression this system could have made on me.

Other urls found in this thread:

buriedwithoutceremony.com/little-games/aplacetofuckeachother/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1whsN3C5e31CZfo8hqlJbiKTPBX9kkCDSEG_An9FlP5s/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There could not possibly be a worse way to completely miss the only relevant thing: Apocalypse World. As in "Powered by the Apocalypse".

I was looking for the generic version of the ruleset. I mean, there are like 50 fucking hacks of it, I assumed there would be generic rules floating around to modify. And apparently the only version of those rules is a non-existant game created by an infuriating tranny.

you can't really get generic PbtA rules, the entire premise is you base the rules very strictly around the genre you're emulating, no genre, no rules. Simple World was more of a guide to hacking it than a generic system (it even says in the book for SW 'do not actually try to run a campaign in Simple World')

There is no generic version because PbtA has to be specific to work.
And if I remember correctly, Simple World completely missed the point of Apocalypse World anyway, just like Dungeon World.

If you want to hack something, hack the original.

Why do you give a shit if its a tranny?

you missed their best game though buriedwithoutceremony.com/little-games/aplacetofuckeachother/

also and on a more serious note: Monsterhearts is actually a really well made game

Insecurity. What else?

I care not so much about the fact that its a tranny, more about the fact that they created a bunch of really "Special snowflake" games focused on hipster looking fat chicks fucking. Also "Lol, pay for my games if you're straight".

>Monsterhearts is actually a really well made game
Maybe, but the subject matter is boring as fuck to me and screams magical realm.

Congrats on your blog post about trying to find something and finding out that transgender people can ALSO produce shit just like anybody else can.

Take a breather if you're so easily triggered by the existence of people.

>Maybe, but the subject matter is boring as fuck to me and screams magical realm.
eh not really, I've been running a campaign of it for some time, no weird sex stuff, and honestly if you can't make teen drama interesting you're doing something wrong

Why do you give a shit if people make games for people who aren't you?

Alright, I'll look into it.

Pretty much the best part about PbtA is that it's not a generic system.
It's more of a framework for game developer to put a game into, but by design it always has theme and genre deeply tied into it.

>Monsterhearts is actually a really well made game
Monsterhearts is well written and realized, but I don't really blame anyone for not being into playing teenage melodrama as horny 17 year olds that are also werewolfs.

I really don't care about teen drama. Its retarded and I dealt with enough of it when I actually was a teen.

Why do people give a shit about games like FATAL? Also, I literally said that seeing these games as my first example of this system were the worst orientation I could possibly have gotten for it because these games aren't for me. They're apparently for a very specific kind of person who I find extremely annoying to be around.

So you got mad it wasn't specifically designed for your demographic. That's adorable.

>magical realm

>Monsterhearts

There is nothing fetishist in MH. Unless "I come from trailer park" (the werewolf, who often isn't coming from the wealthiest neighbourhood) is a thing for you.

Why are you talking about games you can't even read? Do you enjoy being wrong?

>Why do people give a shit about games like FATAL?

People do like being murderhobos. It's pretty legit they see FATAL and say "jesus, was that so hard not coming out with a game that retarded? There are tons in that genre!".

I find wh40k stupid, but I don't bitch about it. I know it's not for me.

>Why do people give a shit about games like FATAL?
Because FATAL is shitty game at it's core. If there was something worth playing in FATAL there would be lot more people willing to forgive it's Quintuplets- and Debauchery tables.
But the game is not good and it doesn't seem to have any kind of thematic coherence.

Are you asking if I pirated their game and read it? No. I'm going off what they described it as. And they literally describe it as a game of paranormal romance. Are you telling me that a game based around characters being horny teens has zero sexual weirdness in it?

Mad? No. Trannies making weird games where they can play out their angsty teenage fantasies is fine. But I was looking for a system that I could use and this is what I found. And this is not something that inspires confidence in the system being something I would use.

You seem to be assuming that I'm "Triggered" and pissed off that this exists. I'm not. I'm bemused, if anything, to imagine the kind of group that would get together and play "A place to fuck each other."

I can only imagine a table full of the "Kill CIS Scum" girl quietly fapping under the table.

Is there something worth playing "A place to fuck each other" or that game about how after the end of the world people apparently only care about sexuality and gender, rather than starving to death?

Honestly it's kind of amusing how silly and stereotypical these things are.

>Are you asking if I pirated their game and read it?

Yes, I am. You're saying things about the actual text, a non-retarded person would've at least read it.
Of course, it's worth considering that in the pitch of the game there is nothing "magical-realm-ish" involved.

Why do you crave humiliation that much, user?

What's with all these triggered faggots on Veeky Forums lately

>waaaaah I saw a tranny on the Internet and he made an RPG waaaaaah

Literally OP right now

>You seem to be assuming that I'm "Triggered" and pissed off that this exists. I'm not. I'm bemused, if anything, to imagine the kind of group that would get together and play "A place to fuck each other."
No, you are definitely triggered. Oh you sweet little soft snowflake.

>that game about how after the end of the world people apparently only care about sexuality and gender
it's a weird case because I read that game's rulebook and I remember zero queer stuff in the actual rules

>Are you telling me that a game based around characters being horny teens has zero sexual weirdness in it?
sexual weirdness; yes. Fetishism;no. Sex in Monsterhearts tends to be, awkward, generally a poor idea, and have a ton of unintended consequences. In a game about teenagers, that seems about right

Is there any reason you're being so damn defensive user? I simply said that, from the description, a game about teenage romance seems like it could easily devolve into magical realm.

I mean, if you have played it, could you tell me why you're so adamant that it wouldn't?

I'm starting to think there's a fair amount of same fagging going on here. But really, have you ever played it? Have you ever seen anyone play it? It strikes me as a system like "Violence The RPG". A book which is more message than game that no one will ever actually play.

>it's a weird case because I read that game's rulebook and I remember zero queer stuff in the actual rules
That is weird. I mean, the freaking site calls it "A game for queers". If it has nothing to do with queer stuff, why does it bill itself as being all about that stuff?

>sexual weirdness; yes. Fetishism;no. Sex in Monsterhearts tends to be, awkward, generally a poor idea, and have a ton of unintended consequences. In a game about teenagers, that seems about right

Fair enough. It's just been my experience that sex in games never goes well because the kind of people that can handle it are rare and you only need one person to screw it up.

>it's a weird case because I read that game's rulebook and I remember zero queer stuff in the actual rules

The idea is more or less basically that Hot is not really orientation-specific, and that's it.
And that's what basically it should be.

You can play a (boring) campaing of MH without even an hint of "confused" sexuality alright, but that's clearly Alder's intention, she does the exact same thing with Dreams Askew, the descriptions are not gender-specific.

I'm aggressive, user. I loathe stupidity by the sake of it.

Read the book. Try to find what you dream you would find, and fail miserably. Admit to yourself that you wanted to fail and be an idiot, and reflect on yourself.

>infuriating tranny
>not mad
>found a thing that wasn't what they wanted and blogposted about it to Veeky Forums
>not triggered
>literally creating imaginary swj girls touching themselves
>not a shithead

try again

>The idea is more or less basically that Hot is not really orientation-specific, and that's it.
>And that's what basically it should be.
>You can play a (boring) campaing of MH without even an hint of "confused" sexuality alright, but that's clearly Alder's intention, she does the exact same thing with Dreams Askew, the descriptions are not gender-specific.
we weren't talking about monsterhearts in that but of the post

Interestingly Monsterhearts 2nd edition has included a rule for defining your character's sexuality (if you want to) meaning that no longer needs to be a thing if you don't want to include it

>the kind of people that can handle it are rare
Functioning adults? Rare?

>A book which is more message than game that no one will ever actually play.
I think I said earlier how I like that PbtA games are good at combining themes to mechanics.
Monsterhearts is a game about teenage melodrama in magical realism and it supports that through it's mechanics, letting the dice be additional collaborator in the story telling alongside with all the players.

Does anyone have that comic with the fat guy saying something like "I clicked on a thread about a topic I don't like, and now I'm mad! How did this happen?"

That's why I talked about DA as well.

>Interestingly Monsterhearts 2nd edition has included a rule for defining your character's sexuality (if you want to) meaning that no longer needs to be a thing if you don't want to include it

What? Isn't the kickstarter still going on?

>I'm aggressive, user. I loathe stupidity by the sake of it.
What an interesting time to make a grammatical error.

>Read the book.
Why, you already told me its not for me? Why would I buy something that isn't for me? Are you telling me to steal from her?

>Try to find what you dream you would find
Again, I can only judge based on what the author herself told me in the description and my past experiences with sex in table top games. I mean, you still haven't told me why you are so endlessly adamant that the idea of a sexualized game played by lonely virginal men could NEVER get weird and fetishistic.

I'm not even saying it's part of the core rules, I'm saying the inherent experience seems prime territory to cause it.

>Admit to yourself that you wanted to fail and be an idiot, and reflect on yourself.
Insults are the last bastion of the weak minded.

>What? Isn't the kickstarter still going on?
yes but we know some things about the rules from statements made by the creator and some early release stuff for backers

>last bastion of the weak minded

wew

>Functioning adults? Rare?
Functioning adults that can roleplay sex without letting their own sexuality get mixed up in it?

Yeah. Have you ever actually ran a game?

I specifically was talking about "A place to fuck each other" not monster hearts. Monsterhearts I get as a playable game, but "A place to fuck each other" I don't. Just like I don't get that game "Gang rape" or whatever its called. They don't strike me as something anyone would actually sit down and play.

I didn't say it wasn't for you: it probably isn't, but it's not relevant. You want to taste failure: go head, it might be fruitful, even for you.

And no, the presentation doesn't say anything about "magical realm".

Tip your fedora harder, imbecile. And yes, I am rightfully insulting you.

> I mean, you still haven't told me why you are so endlessly adamant that the idea of a sexualized game played by lonely virginal men could NEVER get weird and fetishistic.

It's because it's not my idea and I never said anything similar to that.

Keep voting Trump.

Oh good, you caught the irony there. Was worried it would fly over your head.

You're really too precious op.

You took bad advice, did bad research, got scared by a thing you don't like, came to cry on Veeky Forums and now you're upset no one agrees with you.

Its okay though, I'm sure its a sign that you're special and everyone else is wrongdumbbad.

Theres actual systems you could use to explore your queerfag insecurities, ones that are actually fun.

But you're probably best off just not.

>"A place to fuck each other"
You are probably only one on this thread that has even heard of such game, so any arguments about it, are quite waste of time.

Honestly sex doesn't really come up in my games, but I'm confident that the people I play with have the maturity and capability of handing it like adults.
It's not like anyone is talking about vividly described ERP session here.

>It's because it's not my idea and I never said anything similar to that.

I said it was a game that could cause magical realm and you, over a half dozen posts now, have staunchly denied that it could. I never said that there was magical realm IN THE BOOK. I said that playing that kind of game seems to be a quick way to reach magical realms. You seem to have mistaken my comment about the reality of players and their habit of getting weird when sex is involved for some sort of insinuation that the system itself is magical realm.

Also you're now spewing buzzwords really hard. It's kind of disheartening.

Out of curiosity, can you tell me where this idea that being smug and sarcastic was a good method of argumentation? Was it from 90's sitcoms? It seems to be very common on the internet these days.

Actually It was made by the same person as Monsterhearts and is right on their front page. Again, I was talking about it because it struck me as the kind of thing that never gets played and was created more as a political statement than anything.

Thats all I said but it seems to have really annoyed some people on here. Probably a backlash to /pol/ infecting this place to a degree. Oh well.

Jesus Christ, look at all this samefaggotry defending a shitty SJW trend system. I bet you guys would pay extra for the lemonade at the campus for being straight and white.

Not really interested in arguing with you. Its pretty clear you're an idiot. I'm mostly curious how deep you'll dig yourself.

>Maybe, but the subject matter is boring as fuck to me and screams magical realm.

After asking you to read the book, you continued:

>Are you telling me that a game based around characters being horny teens has zero sexual weirdness in it?

And no, you didn't quote the description. Why? Because it has zero magical-realm-ism even there, of course.

How is your basement, user? Mouldy?

>Oh noes! The sjw normie hipster games are going to cuck us at schoooooooolllllllll

Samefagging is when one person pretends to be multipul people. This is just a few people repeatedly telling op he's a dipshit. You dipshit.

I want you to note two specific things
>subject matter
>game

You'll note that I did not say a system. Because, as I've stated before, I did not read the system, so I can make no judgments based on it. I simply said that the subject the game covered was fertile ground for players to pervert into weird fetishism.

Did you just not understand that I was talking about a game played with the system or the subject matter and assumed I was talking about the actual rules of the system itself? Because, thats a fair mistake, I didn't really explain it well.

I'll say it again: Regardless of what the system itself is like, I think the subject matter it covers, namely teen sexuality, is more prone to create instances of magical realm than say, a generic dungeon crawler.

And I think thats a very reasonable assertion.

Oh and you say I didn't post anything from the description. The part of the description that made me fear players descending into magical realms was

>Monsterhearts 2 lets you and your friends create stories about sexy monsters, teenage angst, personal horror, and secret love triangles. When you play, you explore the terror and confusion of having a body that is changing without your permission.

>Sexy monsters

I mean, have you seen Veeky Forums? There's a whole CYOA about sleeping with sexy monster girls.

>You'll note that I did not say a system

>>Monsterhearts is actually a really well made game

You said something about a text you didn't read. It was told you to find that there is zero fetishism in the text (actually, it doesn't really speak about sexuality, execpt to vanilla play examples).

Do you also enjoy people shitting on you, or do you simply prefer to be verbally humiliated like right now?

>And I think thats a very reasonable assertion.

You are in no position to make anything reasonable. God forbids that you "think" about something.
Are there more heroic fantasy RPGs with fetishisms or urban fantasy?

Of course, the first.

Stay stupid.

If you actually read the freely avaible playbooks, you'd see that there is no fetishism in people who don't have monstrous features (they have magic, tough).

Subhuman.

I really don't understand what you're trying to do here. You quoted an exchange where someone said Monsterhearts was well made. And I said that it might be, but I was uninterested in the SUBJECT MATTER and that the SUBJECT MATTER screams magical realm. Again, I never talked about the system, just the subject matter.

And once again, I never said there was fetishism IN THE TEXT. I said that the subject matter itself had a heightened ability to cause it.

>Do you also enjoy people shitting on you, or do you simply prefer to be verbally humiliated like right now?

Why do you think I would feel humiliated because you can't, or more accurately seem to refuse to, understand what I'm saying?

Or do you think that flinging constant insults is eroding my self-esteem? I really don't care, though it is a bit odd that you seem incapable of speaking without book ending your sentences with increasingly erratic insults.

Yep, here you go. It's pretty much OP's faggotry in a nutshell.

Technically, its actually yours. OP created a thread about something he didn't like, and you came in and bitched about him not liking it.

And now I'm bitching about you bitching about him bitching.

>I really don't understand

That's for sure.

Actually I came here to laugh at him, because he looked at stuff he didn't like and came here to cry about it and ask for sympathy. On Veeky Forums.

Think about that for a second.

>53 increasingly angry posts
>Laughing.

>Too dumb to follow the unique poster count

If there's anything this thread has taught me, it's that I should never play Monsterhearts with anybody who admits to liking Monsterhearts.

OP, you would never play anything in which you actually have romance anyway.

Yes, doing things that people like to do is too mainstream, better just do things that everyone hates.

Did you miss the bit where the poster count went from 11 to 12?

>I literally said that seeing these games as my first example of this system were the worst orientation I could possibly have gotten for it
It's CURRENTYEAR, user. You're not allowed to complain about orientation anymore.

I think he just learned about the kind of person who likes monsterhearts. They're apparently the kind of person who violently defends it on Veeky Forums while slinging insults.

The unique posters has nothing to do with the number of angry posts, user. 1 poster can make 53 angry posts, after all. In this case 2 posters can make like...35 angry posts.

>They're apparently the kind of person who violently defends it on Veeky Forums while slinging insults.
That's only way anyone defends anything on Veeky Forums.

So you somehow managed to miss Apocalypse World in your search for PbtA?

I lol'd

I was searching specifically for a generic version to hack, as opposed to the origin or any spin off.

>The unique posters has nothing to do with the number of angry posts, user.

And the number of angry posts has nothing to do with why I came here. He was basically attributing other people's posts to me, so I pointed at the counter, because that image macro the one guy requested was my first post here.

But this is true, too. If you can't handle the bantz, maybe you ought to try a different forum.

Obviously acronyms cause too much confusion, thus we should only talk about Powered by the Apocalypse(tm) system, based on Vincent Baker's(r) Apocalypse World(tm) -tabletop roleplaying game, -systems.

>But this is true, too. If you can't handle the bantz, maybe you ought to try a different forum.
Whom are you talking to to? The OP, because he seems to be the one who can't handle the bantz.

So basicaly you decided there was a generic "version", which even Wikipedia pretty clearly rules out.

Awesome.

>Whom are you talking to to? The OP

Yeah, pretty much.

I didn't check wikipedia. I googled PBTA and got this spreadsheet
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1whsN3C5e31CZfo8hqlJbiKTPBX9kkCDSEG_An9FlP5s/edit#gid=0

Which had simple world listed as a generic version. Just went from there.

As I said: awesome.

I actually just went to wikipedia and I'm not sure why you think it rules out a generic book. I mean, there are a lot of PBTA games not listed there.

>Apocalypse World is the post-apocalyptic game the system was created for and is set after an unspecified apocalypse (which may be specified either in the course of play or left a mystery) that created a psychic maelstrom.

So yeah, there is no generic, it's all from AW.

Awesome (3).

Why do you feel Simple World has missed the point of AWE?

It's a popular Apocalypse Engine meme.