Lets get a 'Thin Your Paints' thread going

Lets get a 'Thin Your Paints' thread going

That's not so bad, I actually like what he did with the blood

>tyberosthegreymess.jpeg

Me too. The blood on skulls is a bit too much, but on the claws? I really like the effect. But the rest is making me feel good about my everage painting skills.

Looking at the thumbnail, it wasnt so bad. But I regret opening it.

>Looking at the thumbnail, it wasnt so bad. But I regret opening it.

"IT LOOKS GOOD FROM A TABLETOP DISTANCE!"

The color scheme on that axe and even the SW are pretty dope though.

Dark gunmetal and bronze SW with a tactical black and gold axe with blue lasers?

Ok,this has to be intended. You cant be THAT bad unless its on purpose.

>paint so thick you get a 2+ save

T H I C K

Irvine has two right hands.

>pupils on helmet

>all those faces
>killme.jpeg

Wait what's so bad about this one?
It looks pretty neat, if a bit dusty

I love finding unattended armies and adding some googly eye spots.

oh Dear Regiiiiiinaaaald whare are the heretics ?

that's why tom is so perturbed

I really want to like this, but goddamn is it just so poorly painted.

I think I see a terminator in there!

Here's some OC for y'all.

What's the base model?

Seen eyeballs, lost my shit

>Tom the Librarian

Lost.

It so gives it an 'Angry Marines' look.

This is still better than anything I can paint :(

No chad velencio

It might just be the patchy finish from what I assume is a wash over unthinned paints, but some parts of that look like they thinned their paints too much.

But yeah, why the fuck would you spend all that money on FW, and then do that to it?

that one's not so bad
looks like one of my really old minis (i'm not a good painter)

what's wrong with this one?

there's nothing wrong with this one

I mean, it's not amazing, but it's not bad.

The paints on that one aren't particularly thick. The problem's more to do with poor coverage and lack of any real shading/highlighting. Not too different to my painting a year or two after starting out.

Did they basecoat by dunking them into a tin of house paint or something?

I think I saw these on DeviantArt, ages ago. People on there were actually saying they were well-painted... wat.

It only looks (mildly) passable because they actually had some idea of proper brush control and colour placement.

Still mediocre though, and the paints are still way too thick. It's just not eyefuckingly bad like .

There should be a ban on painting names on base rims, unless you have solid free-handing skills. It almost always looks shitty.

Geez, thick paints AND mould lines.

This makes me want to see a well-painted Necron army in Ronald McDonald colours. Also, I'd caption it with that alert Necron saying "Kill... meeeeee...", but I'm too lazy.

Looks like I missed this:

Yeah. It's not really good, but it's passable for tabletop.

this thread... im crying

DV terminators that I got sick of trying to salvage and started to use to test different schemes.

Forgot the pic like an idiot

Mods are asleep, post models with well-thinned paints.

This is alright. Paints are a little thick, but it just gives the armour a slightly textured appearance rather than coming off all gloopy. At least no detail seems to have been lost.

>eyes on the left model
Lost.

>tfw your murderboner goes soft mid genocide

Aren't they getting a book soon? On the one hand I would love them to get more lore, but on the other I don't trust GW not to be fucking horrible and just ruin them. Hard to see how they could work as a book, given they show up outta nowhere say nothing but flash their ID, kill everything in sight (still saying nothing), get back on ships and leave (saying nothing). Not exactly a real opening there for character development.

But aren't the helmet pupils a bit silly?

I don't understand how they get it on so thick. Are they taking scoops of paint and just smearing it on there?

LOL look at this shit, fucking guy is hopeless.

>Reginald the white fur tiger on the left

I'm fucking critical here. I need help!

Lol what retard painted that guy? I hope he dropped out of the hobby years ago what the fuck does he know about painting

kek

Hey guys, I have a question for you. I'm ruining the resale value of my Space Crusade, much like the guy who took this picture but: Whats this thing under the left arm supposed to be? Nade, Extra clip, toilet brush?

That's a stikkbomm if ever I saw one.

It's weirdly wide and curved in the handle part, that's the dumbest thing about the mold. I'll just work them as sticks then.

Oh, I remember those! I even had that exact set; they were prepainted metal/plastic figures.

Magazine pouch

it looks just like the shit i painted when i was 9 years old or some shit, save for the models not being trash

>not throwing your model into a bucket of paint

>not using a sharpie and some crayons to paint details

Fucking tryhards

I will expose you to what we found yesterday.
Not super-thic, just... inept.

Does this grant Skyfire?

This one makes me sad

Problem with this thread is that its about paint being slobbed on to thick, by people who didn't thin down the paint one bit. But many pictures features simply "bad painted models" which is not the same as OP requested.

Has this meme gone so far as to portray just about anything "bad" as a thin your paint kind of model? Most hobbyists who has done work in this post, is mainly suffering from not taking the time and effort that is required, and calling it a day. But that does not equal that they have slobbered on paint to thick in my opinion.

And photos like this really gets to me. I get it, its an expensive model and the paint job is fairly ok´ish. Id rate it tabletop standard at least. What has the "standard" come to be regarding models in the last 10 years? Hell, I remember when I started about 17+ years down the road. There was no fucking Internet even! You couldn't get a tutorial at the click of a button. You couldn't get the models you really wanted unless you used mail order. We painted like shit! Seriously, like , this right here would have been a solid work from any of us guys back then! But its still not a case of "paints to thick"! Its just a bad paint job from someone who is clearly a beginner.

Don't get the shitposters get to you user, I agree with you

As someone who is failry new to this, and is yet to start painting my models, how do I avoid this? Just make sure my paints are watered down on my pallet before applying?

Yeah, pretty much. Paint in multiple thin layers

Also what the fuck is that and why would you have it saved

I feel like I'm missing a joke here. Is the guy who painted this notable?

Basically yes. It comes down to experience really, since thinned paints are hard to control and need more coats, noobs tend to lean towards thicker paints. But keep practicing with your thin paints, learn how to load the brush properly, how to use the brushes malleable properties to your advantage instead of an obstacle to be navigated around and remember that painting takes time and if you have to put three coats on then you have to put three coats on, no way around it.

Experience and patience really, the actual thinning of the paint itself is the easy part.

Thanks guys, going to start on my Dark Angels later on today, will post results.

That's one of Duncan Rhodes' first minis

If you're talking about the Dark Vengeance pack, I recommend painting the army you're not going to use first to practice.

Also a shitty paintjob become twelve million times better with the application of nuln oil or agrax earthshade if you're just looking to get up to tabletop quality and not something great.

Well about 9 or so years ago I collected Thousand Sons, I was divided on what to go with now, either them or a Space Marine pack so just bought Dark Vengence so I could go either way. Still not sure to be honest, Thousand sons have some good units right now but I would like to go Space Marine for something different. Dark Angels seem a bit risky with the whole "One Primarch will turn traitor" shit and with most people here saying it will be The Lion.

But how?? After a year of practice my minis looked like this, are yours worse?

I imagine there will still be a legal option to play loyalist Dark Angels even if that does happen.

But then again GW has done stupid shit in the past.

Are his legs on backwards?

This is a great example of setting the standard of the internet to high. You, as a beginner, has started to use techniques way above your skill, before you have the basics down.
Don't get me wrong, I see what the idea behind your model was, but the execution is simply not up to the standard on many of the features. For instance, if you had ignored the "weathered" battle damage look, and put that time and energy on staying inside the lines, to begin with. This already would have looked much better. Second part, the edge highlight, its a skill that requires training, but do some research before you start out, there is simply no need to "frame" a armor panel with edge highlights, it makes it look weird and unnatural.

So, by going back to basics, simple colors, staying inside the lines, this would be so much better than an attempt to go way beyond your limits.

I wrote a piece over at wip recently, explaining how I drybrushed this guy in about 5 minutes, and added some details for an additional 5-10 minutes. A 15 minute model with an ok standard in my opinion. The point I was making with the post was, had I known how far you could go with the very basics in this hobby, my youth as a hobbyist would have been so much easier! We didn't have the Internet when I started out, and every tip and trick cost us money, so we had to rely a lot on our selves, and you cant put the blame on this nowadays. Go watch some tutorials on how to get good tabletop standards.

A primarch will go traitor, that doesn't mean his army necessarily will, at least not all of it. Same with the traitor that'll go loyalist.

Speaking of the days before the internet (or at least before I had proper access to it), back then I thought I was extremely clever to have figured out the technique that I later learned is drybrushing, and is common practice for a majority of miniature painters. I thought i had a great and brilliant original idea of how to use my worn out brushes for easy highlights, hah.
Just a random thing I came to think of. I'm not even the guy you were writing to.

His eye lens is pretty good.

Remember that you can strip paints.

Things got a lot easier for me when I realized that not ever mistake was model ruining and that I could even go back to some of my older models and redo them with better painting standards.