Drawthread General

Previous: →

>>>RULESReminder that nobody is entitled to a delivery under any circumstances within these threads.
>Ignore the bait, you're better than this
>Stay on topic

Artists and Artists-to-Be:
>Feel free to drop your tumblrs/websites/commission/etc information, but:
>If you're dropping your commission info, consider filling a request beforehand instead of just advertising

Books and Tutorials:
>mega.co.nz/#F!2RARFaLA!VTiQb6eRXfV4V6mYQ6FJTA
>dropbox.com/s/kno4yv719g88pol/Tutorials.zip?dl=0

Figure Drawing:
>quickposes.com/pages/random

Beginners Guide to Drawing:
>archive.is/GNIq1

The w/ic/i art Guide:
>sites.google.com/site/ourwici/

So, somewhat intricate. She can conjure the chains at volition, being an Everchosen of her deity, if that's puzzling. Combat posses liked, thanks!

Can some kind drawfriend creat a street tough rogue that looks like Michelle Rodriguez? Bonus points if you give her a few sexy scars.

Migrating.

have an unusual Warhammer Fantasy request for an NPC my players will be having to deal with soon-ish: a dwarf with a particular grudge against the skaven. I've attached a reference image.

This character is a former ranger/guide who was captured by skaven, enslaved, tortured, and later escaped. Physically, he has been severely damaged by his captivity.

Any skin visible shows signs of heavy scarring (upper left - hard to find good images, and I found it macabre to use photos of actual victims). His nose and ears have been heavily damaged and are almost completely destroyed. His head is hairless: no locks, no eyebrows, no beard. On his head he wears a helmet with a nasal, not that he has much of a nose left.

He is clad mostly in leathers and cloth - like Bardin there, but without chain elements, for stealth. He likely wears an axe or two in a belt loop. He possesses a fur cloak: on closer inspection, it is the skinned hide of a grey seer (reference left - apologies for him being so heavily-clad, but 'naked skaven' is not a search I recommend making), though the horns have been filed to stumps to make the hood less awkward.

Most important is this dwarf's "beard." It is actually a very fine mesh of iron links, something like the one on the right, though secured to his face rather than a helmet, by way of piercings. This should be about down to his collar bone; he adds a link each time he kills a skaven.

Finally, he cradles in his arms a repeating crossbow, something like the one at the bottom, though blockier; many, many notches have been carved in the stock.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to give this request a read!

Requesting the two top characters posed like the bottom two. The extra face hovering to the left of the girls reference is to show the facial scars she has.

Please and thank you!

these threads die so quickly

So what, copy/pasting your request for the nth time can't take more than a minute of your day.

Dropping an anchor for a Norse Knight.

Here's a couple. I like monsters.

Greetings yet again drawfriends and fellow beggars! Requesting a post Apocolyptic savage tribesman in homemade junk armor with spear holding a pre-collapse football helmet with an Indian on it and looking at it like WTF. Our savage holding the helmet looks disturbingly like the Indian on the helmet but with Post Apoc twist. Similar feather in hair and such. Thank you!

Migrating request

Requesting this girl drawn wielding a weathered and battle damaged version of the sword. And if you could add some scars on her arms, a claw scar on her face and a X shaped scar on the right side of her stomach.

Could I get an Asian cleric girl with long black hair and fancy clothes who looks perpetually annoyed that she has to constantly heal her stupid teammates?

Requesting the human soldier-guy on the top left burning a fantasy-magic forest.

The human with the flamethrower is shooting/spraying flames everywhere in burning the forest.

The weapon on the top right should be what the flamethrower the soldier is wielding would look like.

There'd be flames and fire in many places as there are burning trees and plants.

The creature on the bottom left; a "Leshy", is on fire thrashing around from burning.

The fairy on the bottom would be flying/fleeing away while crying in despair.

And the forest-dwelling creature on the bottom right; a Spriggan, is simply watching in horror in seeing the human soldier with the flamethrower burning down the forest. And also in seeing the Leshy being burnt alive.

Requesting this knight looking cool ir playing with the little girl clinging to his leg.

Requesting a monk who is fighting all the weird monsters bored monks would draw in medieval manuscripts. I'd like him to wield a mace or some other type of club and have an expression that clearly says he's sick of this shit.

Requesting the guy shown at top-left wearing the outfit on the right, though with a scarf like the one at the bottom-left.

I would like a tarot styled eye being pierced by a kris, with blood "tears." Extra tarot-y stylings are optional, but would be neat.

Cause it didn't post with my other one

Please draw whatever you imagine a race of sentient living piñatas to look like.

Here ya go

Anchoring for artist

Sorry if this is mega late, I didn't even check the thread because I was convinced the reference was too bad to get picked up, so a friend pointed this out to me just now.
I think you've pretty much got it! The only changes I can suggest would be to maybe turn the robe from green to brown, and have her be looking away from the camera right than into it to convey her skittish nature.
I think the hair length is fine, it's long enough to get the same point across. I'll admit that the arms are pretty chunky, but they're supposed to be horribly mutated so it's justifiable.
Thanks for drawing her, user!

Why did you make me remember?

Requesting pic related but as a bald, tipsy dwarf with a white braided beard.

Requesting someone to draw my Knight PC. Feel free to take artistic liberties with it, if it helps.

Viva Pinata was a better game than it had any right to be

>Feel free to take artistic liberties with this overly specific request

I always try to figure out what magic they think the phrase "artistic liberties" means.

not OR, but I always try to give a general idea of a character, and let the artist fill in the rest.

Some artists really jive with that, while other artists NEED specifics in order to work.

Looking at that piece... Well, you have the pose for one. that's something you could do.

But beyond that, yeah, that one doesn't have a lot of room for 'artistic liberties'. Still, don't be mad at people for trying to give the artist some elbow room to do what they think looks good.

Just because something looks good in my head, doesn't mean it will look good on paper. I'm not an artist. thats why I let you guys do what you know will look good.

'Artistic liberties' in my opinion means 'feel free to ignore the references to substitute your own design'
The fact that it's a very specific request doesn't prevent artists from ignoring the specifics to a degree of their choosing.

Requesting a cute drunk halfling monk girl like Radical Edward.

I'd be careful with that. If you change something that is, effectively, the essence of a character (Changing an Honorable paladin with a tower shield, to a much more ferocious one with a two handed greatsword) Could get some requesters pretty pissed.

Then those requesters shouldn't say 'take artistic liberties'. Simple as that.

>Could get some requesters pretty pissed.

As if they have any right to be mad at their free art? If they want to be specific and get a guaranteed result to match, fork over the $10-30 it takes to get a nice black and white line art picture from any of the dozens of Veeky Forums artists.

Artistic liberties can be "Whatever style of armor you think is appropriate" (if not specified) or a design for a weapon or shield or something. Artistic liberties shouldn't be "Literally not doing what I asked."

And, yes, I know you guys are doing this for free, I've gotten some amazing artwork from drawfriends, including one I still use to this day. I know that you're not being paid for this and most requesters should just be happy with what they get. But, they're expecting something, and when you are giving something that is specifically not what they asked for, they won't be happy.

now, as I'm typing this up has posted, and I don't feel like rewriting my post as though to imply I was doing this all at once. So, here's the shorthand.

People come here to get requests, oftentimes because they're poorfags who probably shouldn't be paying for the McDonalds they got, but at least that feeds them.

the GOOD requesters give a small list of details and some reference images, and then say 'artistic liberties' to let you know that you're free to play around with whatever you think looks good.

(The bad requesters are assholes who won't be happy with what they get anyways, so it doesn't matter).

As the drawfriend, you can either: Do your best to do what the request asks for, or DON'T do what the request asks for. If you do the request asked for, you'll probably get a positive response.

If you don't do what the request asked for: Why the hell did you do the request to begin with? No, honestly, we both know that you're not getting paid for this, and if you're not at least trying to make someone happy, either by giving a face to someone's first character, or maybe making a grand antagonist seem more real for a GM's game, then why bother?

Speaking as someone who made a very specific reference sheet, added 'feel free to take artistic liberties' to it, and got a delivery that was both quite different from the references I had posted and also absolutely top tier:
Tabletop characters are dynamic. They are not like characters from video games or movies, which have static, observable designs that are set in stone.
Tabletop characters exist primarily in the mind, and the mind is fluid.
Not only that, tabletop characters are free from the movie/game trope of 'character A always wears outfit A regardless of circumstance'.
Tabletop characters live regular lives, change clothes regularly, bathe, eat and sleep. In most cases, movie characters only ever shoot the bad guys and talk a bit.

So, when an artist changes the details of your request around to make the outfit a little different, or the hairstyle a little different, because you said 'feel free to take artistic liberties', then you have absolutely no right to complain. Not only is that what the phrase objectively invites, but it is perfectly acceptable for the same character to look different from day to day, scenario to scenario.

> (Changing an Honorable paladin with a tower shield, to a much more ferocious one with a two handed greatsword)
Taking this as an example, there are going to be times when that honorable paladin loses his temper, tosses away his greatshield and two-hands his weapon. Now you have art for that. Be grateful, because your character wouldn't be nearly as pissed about being drawn that way as you are.

(Because I can seem to be a lot more irate than I really am in text, I just wanted a disclaimer that I'm completely level headed, and am trying to talk as such)

You're not wrong, and you're not wrong for many reasons. Tabletop characters ARE dynamic. A character could pick up the Golden Crown of Maguffin, and never take it off (Changing their image) or decide that the black armor they had always worn gave the wrong impression and changed to mithril.

But, this isn't your character. It's their character, and unfortunately, you don't know what their character is like, or how long (or short) the game is.

>paladin example

Here's the thing: What if he doesn't have a greatsword at all? What if he wields a Mace, since it's the weapon related to his god? Now the image is wrong both ways.

>So, when an artist changes the details of your request around to make the outfit a little different, or the hairstyle a little different,

Honestly, these are totally fine! Every last one of these minor details are perfectly fine, and are usually what I refer to when I say 'artistic liberties'. I don't give a shit what hairstyle my character is (Alright, that's a lie, but I don't care enough to make an artist doing me a favor for free put in extra work for it.), and I don't usually care what exact style my armor is in (partial lie). What I WOULD care about, is if I explicitly state that "the character wears heavy armor, and I'd like the character to look like he's ready for battle" and then you post something with an image of someone in Linen, even if all the other details are right, you've changed a big thing that was important.

So, I kinda go back to my original point: Either an artist is going to try to make the piece accurate to what the requester asked for, or they don't, and if they're not, then why are they posting it?

If I want a wise druid, and you post a mystical sorcerer... piece could be wroth a 1000 dollars, but it wouldn't be what I wanted :\

>But, this isn't your character. It's their character, and unfortunately, you don't know what their character is like, or how long (or short) the game is.
That's just the thing: after reading your reference, they SHOULD know what your character is like. In fact, the accuracy of even the most faithful artwork is wholly contingent on that. And if they know what your character is like, they should also know how to change him in ways that are still fitting for that character, but also more in line with what they feel like drawing or what they feel would look best on paper.
>Here's the thing: What if he doesn't have a greatsword at all? What if he wields a Mace, since it's the weapon related to his god? Now the image is wrong both ways.
This is just a question of extremes. It's plausible that an 'artistic liberties' drawfriend would draw the paladin two-handing his mace. It's far less plausible that the same drawfriend would draw the paladin wielding an entirely different weapon. The latter is a much more significant alteration and I would not support it as much as I support the first, but I also don't think it's nearly as common or likely to happen.
>Honestly, these are totally fine! Every last one of these minor details are perfectly fine
I think if you care more about the style of armor your character is wearing than their facial features, you might be roleplaying them wrong. Equipment is a secondary trait, the face and body are primary ones. I would be much more supportive of an artist changing my character's equipment than changing their actual appearance.
>So, I kinda go back to my original point: Either an artist is going to try to make the piece accurate to what the requester asked for, or they don't, and if they're not, then why are they posting it?
Because artists are here to practice their craft and draw things that get their juices flowing. That's all. Being able to give people free art of their characters is an added bonus.

And people wonder why we burn through threads so quickly.

I think it's a pretty interesting topic: if we can come up with a better way of requester-artist communication, this will lead to overall increase of contentment of both sides.

How do these images fit together

I would vastly disagree with that first statement. Knowing what someone looks like doesn't belay their personality or traits or anything (See: hot psycho bitches).

A question of extremes, yes, but not of unreasonables.

I very much don't care about clothes to an extreme detail. I'm the guy who will say "heavy armor" and leave it at that for what he's wearing.

In my opinion: artistic liberties means minor details. things to help keep the image smooth. But that's it, not drastic or large changes, especially ones that would fly in the face of the request.

The Drawfriends here provide a wonderful service and they really don't get enough credit, they really don't. I wish I had the money to pay for every piece I've ever gotten from a drawfriend. Nobody should give them shit for not providing pixel perfect representations of what a requester asks (Especially when they're limited to 2000 characters).

I just am of the opinion that: If someone requests an Old Man with short, white hair, leather armor, and a couple daggers on his hip, They should receive an old man, with short white hair, leather armor, and a couple daggers on his hip.

The hair style, exact kind of leather armor, style of daggers, and even the pose of said old man is well within 'artistic liberties' but if this becomes a woman, long hair, young, heavy armor, or swords on his hip, then that isn't what someone requested, and that's not exactly fair to them. They'll just wait a couple threads (Or not) and request the exact same thing again, and clog the boards, which is their right, because they didn't get what they requested.

The mistake is assuming that the beggars here have any drawthread rights at all.

>The hair style, exact kind of leather armor, style of daggers, and even the pose of said old man is well within 'artistic liberties' but if this becomes a woman, long hair, young, heavy armor, or swords on his hip, then that isn't what someone requested, and that's not exactly fair to them.
Can you actually give me any examples from the archives of someone getting a request that has been distorted to this degree? I feel like you're warning against a problem which does not exist.

No because he's talking out of his ass.

No, I'm talking about extremes, but then again, the whole topic of what defines as 'artistic liberties' was kinda begging the question of being subjective to begin with.

I'm giving the best examples I can of what defines as Artistic liberties, and extreme cases are what are usually asked for.

This started with someone thinking that someone's request was too specific to allow for 'artistic liberties', someone responded with "Artistic liberties means I can do whatever I want" and I responded with "No." and we've been arguing ever since.

Are you saying we shouldn't have drawthreads?

Show me where I did.

The only thing I can recall that is even remotely related was some guy who got upset because his hunter dude had "feminine lips" or something like that.

Tbh I'm just looking for an orc/hobgoblin highland musketeer. Feel free to add colors or whatevs. I'd include a sheathed saber but it's not necessary.

Anchoring for Bog Roll!

Also, to chip in my two cents to the discussion about "artistic liberties." The original request had a short hairstyle, a hooded cloak, and none of the loopy belt-things that are hanging down from her armor.

I didn't ask the artist to take artistic liberties, but Bog Roll did and the end result actually looks a ton better in my mind than it would have without the changes - I love being able to see her whole head, and the belt-loops are great!

So it all depends, really, on the request, the artist, and the extent of the "artistic liberties" they take. If I'd gotten a Dwarf Bard instead, yeah, I'd've been pissed. But getting a Drow Bard that's a little different from what I had in mind is amazing - and actually, the way I play her has changed a little based on the WIPs I've been getting (she's still playful and occasionally silly, but also a lot more daring than I intended her to be, for instance).

Requesting three Drow/Dark Elf activists; one male and two females, who're spreading the word of Eilistraee in public.

One male Drow would be wearing the same clothes of the picture of the guy in the bottom left, and the two female Drow are wearing the clothes seen in the bottom middle and right pics. The three Drow would be holding up signs relating about how Eilistraee is better than Lolth or how living in the surface is better than the underdark.

Also the pic at the most top is a symbol of Eilistraee and one of the three Drow would be bearing that symbol in a wooden sign.

Requesting my Matsu Berserker.
He looks about 19 years old, clean shaven and fresh faced, with his long black hair tied up into a messy bun like top right. He's muscular and about 6'2" tall.

His eyes are green, but his right eye's pupil is smeared out into a vague star shape. Noticeable but nothing too overt.

He wears heavy armor, see top left, which is painted in the Lion clan's colors of brown and tan. It's majorly dark brown with tan detailing except for the left arm, which is white with tan detailing.
He also has a katana and wakizashi sheathed on his left, though that's not as important.

Is it too much to ask for him smiling like a goof?
Thanks in advance!

Anchoring again for the artist drawing my Kenku.

Requesting my Dark Heresy Psyker well on the way to becoming an Inquisitor.

She's relatively young, in her mid-twenties, and has the facial structure and hairstyle on the top-left, except platinum blonde instead of dark red. She wears a suit of Carapace Armor like that on the top-middle image (except colored gunmetal silver instead of the dull tan). On top of the carapace armor, she wears a dark brown longcoat like the one worn by inquisitor Adrastia on the top-right.

Around her neck, she has an Aquila pendant (far left), with a fingerbone relic embedded in the center of it, and her burned-out eye sockets are covered with a black blindfold bearing an embroidered symbol of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica (bottom-right).

Thank you in advance!

Anchoring for the kind Drawfriend who said he/she is doing my request

Requesting my aasimar paladin. He should have violet eyes and a glow about him. I'd like the armor and shield like in the image, but the only thing that is a must is that he wears breastplate, and that the shield is metal.
He wears the mask to his his identity after he was stripped of his name and title, so he could continue to do what he can to protect his family and home. Thanks in advance!

I hope no one minds if I can make this type of request in this thread, but.

May I request the woman who'd look like pic in the left and a shorter/less taller young male as a couple?

The girlfriend who'd look like in the left image is wearing the same summer outfit and hat and has the same type of gun in left image in her right hand. And she has her left arm wrapped around the boyfriend's nape.

And the boyfriend would be wearing the same outfit and getup in the image at the right. The boyfriend's shorter or less taller than the girl and he'd be looking up to her talking to her enthusiastically.

And both of them are walking together in a snowy day.

I doubt anybody would want to draw this bunch of misfits, as it's multiple characters, but after our second session of a new campaign yesterday, I just want to write this up to have it on paper, what the hell do people think when they see us roll up?

We have a 7ft tall wall of muscle, half orc, no hair, not even eyebrows. He wears a suit that's a little small on his bulging muscles; he almost definitely stole it.

We have a 6-7ft tall warforged made of wood and metal. His face has 'indents' or depressions in a roughly eye shape where the eyes would be, and a vertical line splitting the two metal plates that are his face (which are his real sensors). He wears a hooded cloak to cover up how unusual he looks.

We have Farso, the wizard. He has a Freddie moustache, and a brown afro. Besides that he's just a cool dude. Honestly, we didn't get much description on him yet besides this.

We have a swashbuckling drow man, with long pale blond hair to his chest. He's a fancy swashbuckler and should be portrayed as such, with a fancy rapier. Green eyes no pupils, has eagle.

We have a tiefling war cleric, sensible & cloistered, with straight gazelle horns, red skin and a tail, in traditional cleric vestments.

We have a wood elf ranger with long unevenly cut red hair. She is probably glaring at the drow.

Finally, we have the twins. Nick is lean and muscular but hides it under sandy robes, and has bronze hair, olive brown skin and deep brown eyes. His sister Nikki is much the same in terms of appearance, except she is thin and attractive in a green dress, no muscle at all.

In terms of poses, the only request I'd have is that Nick is brofisting the half orc, whilst Nikki looks at the half orc in despair.

>tl;dr
>half orc barbarian in a suit man
>warforged in a cloak
>afro wizard man
>drow swashbuckler man
>tiefling cleric woman
>wood elf ranger woman
>healy monk man and his skinny twin sister

Will get pics for reference eventually.

Requesting my Interrogator for Dark Heresy.

>Mid 30s, Newt Scamander-eqsue brown hair, flecked with grey since he became a psyker.

>Dark, hooded eyes - looks like he's constantly in need of sleep

>Slim build

>Carries a bolt pistol and a large tome.

>Has a zippo lighter that is deliberately intricate as it is his psy-focus

>Due to his powers, he has a glow around his head, like an energy field

Ideally, the pose would be similar to the one referenced but honestly, it's up to you - if you think something looks better or the pose is too awkward, go with what you think is best!

Thank you for reading my phone book of a request

Kind drawfriends I am requesting an illustration of "sleepers" the feral and insane human survivors of a botched cryogenic preservation process. They went to sleep hoping to wake up in a better world. Instead the woke in a post apocalyptic hell. A bit like zombies but more intelligent and not rotting. In fact they are very much alive and quite crazy. Torn, dirty underwear or scrub type clothing standing in the dilapidated ruins of the cryogenics lab.

Does she use the arms in combat? Sketched a new pose, unsure what to do with them. To leave them hanging limply would leave lots of character expression out of the picture imo. Doesn't seem like the kind of character who likes violence like Glory, so… what'd you say? Is she afraid to put them close to her face, in other metahumans' flesh or just to hold a cup of coffee?

She thinks her claws are horrifying, simultaneously terrified and disgusted by them. In fact, she was originally a pacifist who would prefer to endure a savage beating than fight back with them, but one of the other members of the party convinced her to essentially shift all of the responsibility of her actions to him.
She learned to enter an emotionally muted state where she would just follow orders to rip and tear, trying not to think about what she's doing.
She can't properly grasp things like firearms or melee weapons, and it being a tabletop game and all she gets caught up in a lot of combat scenarios. When that happens, emotionally dead or no, she does use the claws. If she's in her 'shut down' state, she will also employ heightened agility to jump around and sneak in a more bestial fashion.
Let's say she would be a very intimidating and spooky opponent in a dark hallway.

If you're conflicted on poses, having one of her claws raised up and obscuring half of her face might look good. It would be an 'actiony pose' while also conveying her shame and fear. Or just draw her in a full-on mindless carnage mode.

Requesting an old, wisecracking imp poking fun at a cute, grumpy Tiefling girl

Requesting this guy wearing light body armor like in the reference along with a mask on his face like the symbol to the left. He has a burn scar form on his lower left neck leading up to his lower jaw. I'd like for him to be cracking his knuckles.

Requesting a brown elf wizard-sharpshooter.

She's a magitechnicist scarred from a laboratory accident; the burn scars are peculiarly patterned and glow in the presence of magic. She's on the short and slight side for an elf, shy and self-conscious, but she tries to be helpful with her inventions since she's desperate to be liked.

Something of her with her rifle in a relaxed position would be amazing, but just a portrait would be great since this seems a little involved. Sorry about that. I mostly need something for her token.

Would you like to have an unfinished thing that has been collecting virtual dust on my folders ever since you first put up the request?

"Ye can't get drunk if ye were never sober in th' first place, lad!"

hey

taking simple/unsettling requests

preferably some creatures

That is a neat Dullahan, let me just say.

thank you, i wonder whether OR is still around in the drawthreads. i wanted to ask him/her about the current progress of the dullahan

A hunched, cloaked, weirdly bulging figure that seems human, but subtle details indicate has anything but a properly human anatomy.

A tall wendigo subtly stalking a human hiker as he treks a snowy forest

See

Taking simple/dumb/cute requests to pass time. Pic is what I'm working on now, just so you know what my (lack of) style looks like.

A dancing Tiefling harem girl

will try my best

>when I still would

Thanks, though, that's great.

Some sort of horrible armored flesh golem abomination type creature.

Who ask for this? Someone ask for this.

Cute

Damn...

Hello Veeky Forums,

I am playing a tribalistic female dragon shaman with an Aztec flavor. Athletic build, domineering demeanor. Long black hair done up with ornamentation. Minor facepaint and body paint. Light Aztec-inspired clothing. Uses a longspear.

Think Road to El Dorado or Kotal Kahn. Heavy on the shamanism would be cool, bone necklaces and just any sorts of things one would think is cool and thematic.

So wait us she a dragonborn or just a human thats a dragon shaman?

Dragon shamans of sufficient level gain draconic traits (scales, wings, sometimes horns), so it's not beyond the realm of reason that OR is passing her off as a dragonborn.

They run parallel along their edges and meet at the corners.

Not dragonborn. Human dragon shaman. And yiss, something like a combo of Chel and the villain from that film. Brown Aztec shaman lady.

Fucking Yakub, stop making white people.

A long, dark hallway with a barely visible crouched dog at the end of the hallway. The lights are only on at where the POV starts, and the light softly fades as it goes deeper into the hallway.

Absolutely, man.

Need this angel in something equatable to "Noble Lewd"

I'll leave that up to your discretion.

this is absolutely wonderful, thank you.

Glad you like it!