/CofD/ &/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous Thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A

>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-january-2017/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/cough-back-in-hack-the-saddle-cough-cough-again-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question
How did you get interested in World/Chronicles of Darkness?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/349384-think-of-fictional-characters-and-say-what-they-would-be-in-cofd?p=920967#post920967
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Saulot is best.

>How did you get interested in World/Chronicles of Darkness?

I posted a while back but I'll post again. I've been vaguely aware of WoD for about 5 years but never really looked into it. Heard bad things about Beast then read a cringe thread about Null Spyder and her MRA legions.
>someone in thread links to the FATAL and Friends archive
>read oWoD revivews
>binge on the wiki
>get (legal) free rules for oWoD games

And that's how I started shitposting in this general.

Played VtM:Bloodlines after I got it for like 7 bucks on steam. Played a campaign at my local game store with some buddies. Realized I absolutely hated the meta-plot. Tried nWoD/ChroniclesofFagness. Fell in love. Never looked back.

I went to a local convention knowing only AD&D and a guy was demoing Vampire : The Dark Ages. It was 16 years ago.

You old as fuck senpai.

waaay back in the early days of browsing /b/ there were story times of WtA comic books.

honestly, I thought it was stupid as shit, this was back in 2008 and 2009. Then a few weeks ago when the WtA video game was announced I gave WoD another look. both look like a mess, but a matured taste for the awful has my interest piqued for WtA and WtF.

>Looking a the forums once in a blue moon
>Find out people are having isdues with a new writer being hired
I don't really keep uo with shit but who the fuck is zak smith?

Bloodlines. Vampires have always been one of my favorite monster types so that game appealed to me massively, for all its faults. I still like to play it sometimes.

From there I started getting into WoD and then CofD. I prefer CofD now (especially Awakening, mages are also one of my favorites) but I still like Masquerade.

I'm 31, I guess that's quite old for chan poster.
The previous threads have all the details, basically he's an asshole that writes rpgs (mostly OSR), and he's hated on rpg.net for being an harasser.
Also quite vocal in his political views, but alas not in a subtle way at all (the funny part is that they're quite the same views as the rpg.net guys).

I played a horror RPG where you played kids and we wanted to pull an IT and play adults. Read the nWoD 1e core and I was hooked. My like for oWoD stuff as well came soon after.

Nah, that's not old at all. I'm turning 30 this year myself.

He's also got an extremely fragile ego and spent a year either impersonating as an RPG historian on Reddit to make himself look better or, if you believe what he says, let a roommate use his own computer to impersonate as an RPG historian to make him look better.

Dracula loves the man and has denied that any harassment or any wrong doing had happened in a PR piece yesterday, which potentially drives a stake into the relationship with their most regular licensor.

What do you mean by voicing political views?

Oh I don't feel old, but I feel like the majority is more near 25 here.

My friends were sick of D&D, so one of them bought Geist. I did the only reasonable thing and played a Changeling.

What a glorious shitshow.

Maybe this is the wrong place for it, but if you have any reservations about Zak Smith being hired to write for new White Wolf, let them know at [email protected]

>being in your 30's

Dinosaurs pls leave

t.19 year old

There was a screenshot of the VN about a character killing trump supporters because lolintolerant, another character saying something like old doctors don't have to tell her what medicine to take for her man to female transition, you know the usual not-subtle-at-all preach.

Because the complaints were so helpful with Brucato. I'm psure the default line from White Wolf and OPP is to pretend bad things don't happen.

Zak isn't exactly who I'd consider an ally, and I think the character in question is a not-so-subtle smear against the author of Monsterhearts.

OPP has nothing to do with this and quite a few of their folks are livid.

Yet threads still get deleted.

Way back in the day, men nWod 1e was just coming out, men and my friends sat down to play Werewolf the Forsaken, it was fun, and I was interested in the gameworld aftter flipping through the DMs books. I had also played Vampire the Masquerade (PC-game) before that, so I felt slightly familiar with the setting.

That you and everyone else has doubts over what a cunt ZakS is, is kind of pathetic. There is no fair shake with this retard, best speak up now and with your wallet unless you want more of your favorite games getting this kind of treatment in the future.

The character in question is a self-insert of one of his friends, see

dohoho so it's #wodgate then

Lol sure, sure

It's back up now.

>ZakS friends with a tranny from a company he regularly lambasted with RPG Pundit

Sssuuuuuuurrrrrrreeeeee

It certainly sounds like it if you only look at SA.

I'm guessing OP're trying to figure out what the fuck to do and very carefully planning what to publicly say, given their devs are already deserting in droves after White Wolf's bullshit.

I'm 28, I'll probably be here until I die. I'm not a total loser honestlyyyy, I'm married even.

Does anyone have Tim Bradstreet Vampire Portfolio .pdf and would they be willing to share? I wanna see the stuff inside this before I order the actual book itself.

>doubts

I'm literally telling every single person I know to write and boycott White Wolf, but okay.

No one is deserting, even david hill is staying on until his contracts are up. He will probably quit after that.

Don't worry, you're in good company.

>not a total loser
>married
Suspicious

Not just any friend

I don't know either monsterhearts or RPG Pundit, I just link the the previous thread, could you explain ?

>dying alone and a virgin

Is that how you brcome an Archmage irl?

Fucking thinbloods.

someone erase this fucker from the timeline, we can't have people leaking the secrets of the imperial mysteries like this!

That sucks i don't get why they'd hire him his work doesn't even seem that great.

IDK you'd think 'killer trap' would be Veeky Forums's thing. I still haven't played through the vampire one. But I did manage to end unchecked immigration in Sweden!

DavidH or ZakS?

woah woah Zack save it for Hill's twitter feed

damn it, don't get my fapbait material mixed up with RPG drama.

Line Trap should be in every WoD video game.

Davids a shit but his changling mechanics seem solid so if nothing but a decent framwork i give hill a pass. zak just seems like a bitch and he looks like a 40 year old who can't deal with the fact that he's aging.

>you'd think 'killer trap' would be Veeky Forums's thing
I think the "kills anyone who voted Trump or opposes joint restrooms" is overriding the fetish aspects of it.

Started playing vtes around 2002. Dropped mtg for it.

Well, I am a loser, just not a total loser... I'm just a bit ashamed that I'm a perma-channer

>ashamed that I'm a perma-channer
Just unlearn shame. Its the only true way to live.

As a Swede I deeply thank you for making fantasy Sweden a better place.

For NWoD i started reading WtF, my first RPG.

For OWoD i got sick of how bland and shitty Awakening was and i gave Ascension a chance, never looked back.

One of my friends got me into LARPing now I love both oWoD and NWoD. But mostly oWoD and nWoD mage and nWoD changeling.

How is Ascension better?

>How is Ascension better?
Not that user but Super Science pulp adventures mostly

So what makes it the better Mage game is the not magic parts?

Really? I liked masquerade but i hated assension. Awakening was better for what I wanted too bad about requiem. Though 2e probably has the best mechanics ive seen from a ww game it's setting just doesn't have enough.

The casting rules in OWoD are admittedly kinda a mess. But the types of mages they allow for are far less limited in scope.

How so? Really the only thing Awakening can't also do is the super science shit, and you could probably find a way to do it anyway.

The nature of all magic being supernal kinda ruins adding any flavor to it.

And yet the concensus is the stupidest fucking plot device.

The ride never ends, user. Quit feeling shame and enjoy the time you have. Life is not long enough.

I feel like it has some kind of Jung vibe to it, but to each his own.

I've heard this complaint dozens of times but I've never had it be a problem in a real game any more than 'vulgar' or 'covert' magic was in 1e nWoD mage.

Supernal Magic isn't the only kind of magic in CofD. It's just the only kind Awakened Mages use. And what's more, the exact nature of the Supernal is something up for debate. Mages can still have different views on it and can still have different ways of harnessing it. Mages are hardly all in agreement on the topic.

The same could really be said about the khaos magykk of oMage.

But the trappings around it allow you to utilize science, or biomechanics, or prayer as the way /you believe/ you are doing magic. What you believe has 0 meaning in how your magic works in nWoD, both mechanically and thematically.

What kind of fresh magical hell is this

Its the dawn of the hour of #wodgate

Ah but the whole "magic is different for everybody, there's no real truth to it aside from reality bending" is also incredibly fucking shallow.

You can play a mad scientist, but it's not actually mad science. It's just you. There's no real discovery or innovation going on.

You can also play a priest, but your power doesn't come from a god. Just your delusions and how hard you wish they were real.

At least in Awakening there actually is something more behind magic, and true to real life people have different interpretations of it.

I want characters with cool unique seeming powers, even if its just the visual curtain over the top. Awakening doesn't offer that, even if 2e did a bit better with it with yantras, its still not really a custom flavor of powers and abilities. The customization just isn't there.

I found a pretty cool character sheet for Batman as a CoD Hunter. Is anyone interested in seeing it?

It's a trap.

If it has his gadgets written up as endowments yes. Otherwise, also probably still yes.

>Awakening doesn't offer that
Yes it does. Legacies are a thing, and you can come up with your own. You can also stylize your spells however you want, (make portals by slashing at the air and making tears, describe Death Fraying spells as frost, etc) bonus points if you do it in a way that complements your Nimbus and your character. You can also come up with your own spells via Creative Thaumaturgy.

While I personally disagree with you that Awakening cannot provide a unique seeming power, your choice is yours to make.

Here you go:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/349384-think-of-fictional-characters-and-say-what-they-would-be-in-cofd?p=920967#post920967

I'm guessing that user didn't write up the Bat Gadgets because they want to wait for Hunter 2ED.

Ultimately, even with legacies, every Mage in nWoD/CofD feels like a mage casting spells and there is no meaningful way to break away from that.

I had a goth friend in high school.

>You feel like a Mage casting spells in a game about being Mages casting spells, and there's no way to completely delude yourself into thinking you're instead building a rocketship out of tin cans and paper glue, because that's the way your mental delusion works
Shocker.

Ascension really shouldn't have been called "Mage" then.
More like "Perspectivists: The Surpassing"

Ah, that sheds a better light on your issue with nWod/CoD Mage line. Yes, it will always feel like a mage casting spells, as it is what the line is designed to feel like.
If Ascension offers a different feeling and has what you are looking for, then it's the better choice. And I wish you well.
But for me, I prefer the more streamlined mechanics and overall feeling Awakening provides. If I wanted to play a game where being a mage casting spells does not feel like a mage casting spells, I'd play Unknown Armies.

Yeah, that's what I'm slowly realizing as well.

First off the name of the game is "Mage" so feeling like a Mage can't really be held against it.

Second, you can roleplay as a priest or a science type if you want to, but again the game is MAGE ("A game of modern SORCERY") so don't be surprised that it prioritizes actual magic shit over mad scientists and clerics, although Ars Nova and religious Mages are discussed in the books.

My ex ran a Geist campaign that lasted three sessions and I've been in love since. I had heard about it before in reference of Unknown Armies.

Yeah, Zak Smith is not at all a SJW, is the thing. He's railed against that stuff.

Railed like when he gets railed by Bailey Jay?

>this thing
>not SJW

Attacking individuals of a group doesn't make you not one of that group. Even if that group thinks doing that makes you a nazi.

That never happened and you know it.

That's a Yale graduate, sir.

>Yale graduate
We can clearly see the failings of the education system in that very picture.

I'm char genning a Mastigos and having a real hard time picking my praxis spell. I've got my rotes, which are mostly spells where I want a bunch of Reach to fuck around with effects, but can't figure out a spell for my schtick that exceptional sux on 3 would be good for.

Space 3, Mind 2, Fate 1 is arcana spread and my rotes mostly involve space trickery (Co-location, correspondence, Break Boundary, Scry) with one utility spell from the other two (Scan Thoughts, Serendipity). What would be a good praxis to get just in general?

Sure, buddy.

Wink wink

Take one from Fate if you can.

Something that brushes up against Withstand, or that you'll use a lot.
Mind Scan for example.

Thing is, I'll be casting with two dice there at the moment. Later, once the arcana is higher and raising gnosis it might be a good call but at the moment I think Space and maybe Mind are the only place I could even hope for three sux, even with as many dice stacked as I could