How do i make combat faster for larger groups (9 players) in dnd?

How do i make combat faster for larger groups (9 players) in dnd?

Other urls found in this thread:

theangrygm.com/manage-combat-like-a-dolphin/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

theangrygm.com/manage-combat-like-a-dolphin/

Easy, kick out some players.

Roll for just hits, everything deals average damage, unless crit.

hard time limits on deciding their actions

>9 players

Split the group in two, good god.

Four players is ideal, five is okay, six is a fucking handful. Nine? You poor bastard.

Instead of each player and monster acting individually, play as 2 teams taking turns. Players all act at once, monsters all act at once.

Make everybody pre-roll as much as possible. Not ready on your turn? You were distracted in combat and miss your turn.

Aside from the obvious "play with a smaller group," roll attack and damage at the same time, if someone isn't ready on their turn skip them, and group enemies into chunks.

Also, consider having whoever rolls highest on initiative go first and then just proceed around the table, so nobody has to remember the turn order.

Oh right, I forgot you posted here. Faggot. Or should I say "F*&*$%"

I don't even know where to begin with that misbegotten rant. Kind of ironic that an article meant to explain making combat faster is so padded with tryhard "muh grumpy persona" shit.

>narrate combat transitions

Yep, totally faster than just saying "it's your turn!"

>urgency

Right, because a tough decision is always made faster right? Players totally would never take longer to weigh up all the possible ways they could go, right? Moron.

>exigency

Aka making shit up that isn't in the rules, and punishing a player to make an example out of them. Pure That DM.

>Avoiding the Speedbumps

Essentially this is all just streamlining and handwaving rather than following RAW. Which is fine if you don't care about that part, but many players DO.

>Players don’t look up rules.

That's just absurd, but since you're clearly someone who's happy pulling rulings out of his ass, I can see why you'd want to deny players the tools with which to challenge you.

Does that actually work for you? I find whenever I let my player's move "at the same time" (like if they have the same initiative score) it turns into a nightmare of them planning and min maxing their turn and just takes much longer.

Not him, but it's pretty dependent on the group. I know my group would likely end up taking about as long either way, because they would plan their actions in the group turn (but not spend a huge amount of time on it).

You may be able to help them along with subtle (ish) nudging but, again, depend on the group.

Take a lesson from your elders and have your players elect somebody to be the caller. Then you as the DM talk to the caller, and he talks to the rest of them. It's the caller's job to figure out what everyone's doing on their turn, and keep them all paying attention, and decide what Greg's character will do when Greg's in the bathroom or whatever, which spares you having to deal with all of that nonsense.
They used to run tables up to 20 people in the old days -- granted the combat mechanics were a lot simpler in the OD&D days and you didn't have everybody trying to decide between twenty different powers and abilities. You just had maneuvering, using ranged and melee weapons, spells and thief skills, and then the creative stuff where people tried to do stuff outside the rules.
Still, having a caller significantly reduces the workload for a GM when you have a sizable group. It also stops party arguments from halting the game, since they've elected a guy to have the authority to say when enough's enough.

Split them into two groups.

There's a fucking reason why every single RPG book ever recommends 4-5 players.

>That's just absurd, but since you're clearly someone who's happy pulling rulings out of his ass, I can see why you'd want to deny players the tools with which to challenge you.

If some player even gets the thought of challenging the DM at his own table, he's not fit for RPGs. DM is the final judge of everything. You don't challenge his decisions. You don't have access to the information he has and don't know his plans. You cooperate with him and respect his role as the arbiter, or you get out and stop bothering people with your ego.

Dont play with 9 players? this should be pretty obvious. 4 is managable, 5 is okay, 6 is pushing it, beyond 6 is cancer. you will inevitably have major character clashes, if your campaign doesnt dissolve due to lack of individual engagement.

>every single RPG book ever

Not true. Sure, it's common for systems to say they're suited to 4-5 players, especially since the 90s and the advent of the modern rules heavy systems, but there still have been some games released over the decades that can handle larger player groups. (Mostly in the 80s when player base was large and concentrated.)

>I don't even know where to begin with that misbegotten rant.
How about by actually reading it and realizing that your complaints about it are BS?

>You don't challenge his decisions

Its a game nigger, stop taking it so seriously.

Treat players and enemies as mobs - as in one enemy/player.

Add all the stats. And equally divide the damage.

If they don't like it, get a better DM.

Put a timer up, when times up then have them finish their stuff and go to the next player.

Fuck, I ran a 2-person game and had to do this for one of my players. I gave him a minute and if he hadn't decided, he went full defense.

One of the guys whose game I played in had a similar rule, except instead of going full defense you just do nothing.

Personally, my policy is, if you have to sit there and think bad things happen (my players are all pretty prompt, so I haven't had to codify anything thus far), though it's okay if you're asking for clarification on things.

You should have dropped him like the bombs on japan. He should have been planning out his turn when his turn was not happening.

1 minute timer and power cards.

First, split them into two groups for 90% of the game. Unite them for important battles and such.

Otherwise:
Use average damage rolls, and don't embellish your descriptions
BS the monsters' saves. If 5 monsters need to save, just pick two to make it, and three to fail.
Have players preroll their actions as much as possible. Naturally, if a player has to change their mind because of what the monster that just moved did let it go, but otherwise push them to do this.
BS the monsters' HP.
Don't grapple. Just don't.

I wasn't going to be so cruel as to say they do nothing, but we haven't had a problem like this in years.

Why? He got better.

>cruel
That's not cruel.

You want cruel say you're cutting the fat and trimming the group to 5 players, let them vote who to boot by show of hands.

>six is a handful
Yup, hate playing in a group of more than 5, its so hard to divide up character moments well.