/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Skeleton War Mammoth Edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread
>51708962

Other urls found in this thread:

pdf-archive.com/2017/02/17/fiveparsecsfromhome/
mega.nz/#!CM9SlZpQ!hyv-RA7nTLP9aK1Rpf249GmpWupunNYW-GkwCUmkS1g
mega.nz/#!eIkW3SqR!BbVyDUk4sLuSYl2zhuykXAI-iVLROxdX9g2dQjj5_UM
mega.nz/#!DN1k1JwB!3SFXXzz8wmsn6V2ZYjwf0onQi19RieIa75Cl2ucRh3M
ospreypublishing.com/scrappers
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Glad someone made the thread before I did, what /awg/ projects is everyone working on?

>Currently working on a couple 6mm fantasy armies for Rally Round the King

I've pretty much decided what vanilla human factions I'm going to make, Barbarian northmen and generic medieval army, but what fantasy races are a must have?

Dogmen of course.

Anyone interested in helping out an amateur wargame designer with his homebrew?

>Anyone interested in helping out an amateur wargame designer with his homebrew?

What kind of wargame we talkin about here? Fantasy? Sci-fi?

Sci-fi skirmish about power armored knights fighting demons.

So Warhammer 40k: Grey Knights Edition?

More DOOM/Hellgate: London the miniatures game.

What you got/want?

I've got my latest playtest copy up over in /gdg/, but they are mostly RPG over there, so not getting feedback.

Its the whole ruleset sans objectives and full army lists. I right now have some sample forces in it for 3 of the 4 initial armies. I'm looking for feedback on mechanics, things that are unclear or that I missed, and things that are janky to play out.

I'd make it easier, but I'm on my phone and all my work is at home.

Just from looking at the materials list, I think you should make it more clear how many miniatures you need on average.

Good point. I'm shooting for 6-8 on average.

Oh hey! I remember you! I think I have your last test draft and the army lists. I've been meaning to get my boys together to try it out(and frankly play any sort of game) but things have been complete shit for me irl with finding time and lining schedules up. I hope to play this soon and shot you some feed back though, if I have to strong-arm some random at my local shop I'll do it.

In total, or for one force?

Oh cool. If I remember correctly, there's been a big change since the time I posted it. Current version uses a dice pool and one roll for resolution instead of rolling wounds separate. Its like Deadzone's with D12's, but instead of exploding dice, they "pop" to count as 2 successes on a number that power/armor modifies.

Kinda the idea I went with is that the number of dice in the pool is how much potential damage/resistance you have, while power/armor modifies the likelihood you get the most of that potential.

Per side.

I want to buy the FROGMEN OF FROGGY RIVER FROG GUARDING-NESS from KoW. My roommate is half-interested in playing too. Can anyone recommend which of the other big starter sets would be a good match up against the FROGFROGFROG FROGMEN OF FROGISTAN? He's leaning towards either not!Bretonians, elffags, demons or maybe evil dwarves.

is that grenadier?

I went to one of the other game stores in the area I don't usually go to plunder their used miniatures and bits box. Ended up finding about 12 Epic Chaos Space Marines and 5 each of two other miniatures that I don't recognize, but I'm going to use them as crusaders and death cult assassins (I've started basing and painting them). I also got 10 plastic Epic space marines on their sprue, and some old science fiction looking figures I'm going to use as a crew for Rogue Stars. Best part is that I only had to pay $2.50 for everything.

I was telling somebody about Freedom Force vs the Third Reich the other day, and it got me to thinking. Is there a good superhero skirmish game? (Like, one that's not Heroclix?)

That's a Ukrainian owl

Expanding my Nightstalker army for KoW for a tournament in two weeks, still trying to find a balance between the hard hitters, then anvils and the chaff.

My dream is to make cossacks themed evil dwarves with big snowmen as golems.

Knightmodels have made games for both Marvel- and Batman -franchices and then there is more generic/OC donut steel one called Pulp city. Played none of them, the Batman: miniature game has some neat mechanics, but it lacks in represetation, like, I've heard the reference cards are a textbook example how to NOT do them.

>what /awg/ projects is everyone working on
Painting orcs for my sisters, and some Talisman wizards for myself.

Currently nothing, but we have a small painting "competition" on local forum in next month and I plan to grab some random models from the bottom of the box to get them painted. Includes some nore ibscure OOP stuff like kryomeks

Putting together a Deadzone board. I'm hoping to have enough sci-fi terrain to comfortably play other games on 3x3, 4x4, and maybe even 6x4 once I'm done.

On the subject of terrain does anyone know if there is a reason background wise for why seemingly every battle in Beyond the Gates of Antares taking place in a jungle, a wood, or some plains? No one ever seems to fight in cities or on spaceships or space stations.

I just want to know if there is an actual reason for it beyond Warlord being uninspired and thinking war gaming hasn't moved on since the 90's.

>I just want to know if there is an actual reason for it beyond Warlord being uninspired and thinking war gaming hasn't moved on since the 90's.
Not sure but as far as I know there is an important jungle planet in the GoA metaplot. Trough I played my first game of it on an urban terrain.

Slowly plugging away at my undead kow army, just got my wights together.

Painting some bolt action panzergrenadiers soon, my main opponent is taking a long while to get his soviets together. Yesterday he was greenstuffing reznov from call of duty world at war.

Back in the saddle again. Painted up another two Polish medium tanks to test out my new primer.

Left is my old Vallejo surface primer, centre is Halfords bodyshop black primer and right is Halfords grey primer.

I might just apply to be a full time Halfords shill, this stuff is fantastic- especially the bodyshop black. It's a bit expensive, but not as much as Vallejo primer used to be, goes on thin, covers well and dries fast. The grey is pretty good too, but I'm used to black primers.

Kings of War is pretty well balanced, so he should just whatever army he likes the look and fluff of. Through Evil Dwarfs vs the Trident Realms works well thematically. Evil industrialists versus the defenders of the ocean and all that.

If he's after not!Bretonians, just keep mind there are currently no official models for them, so he'll have to either use the old GW Bretonnias or historical figures. The closest thing Mantic has for them currently is Basilea, a kingdom of human paladins. If he wants any of them, then he should wait until May when they're getting a bunch of new models including; a war wizard, a bolt thrower, a lord on a dragon and new plastic Men-at-arms to replace the old ones.

>If he's after not!Bretonians, just keep mind there are currently no official models for them
I guess he meant Basileans.

As for being balanced: dorfs a shit, don't play them.

It could be the brotherhood too.

Also not seconding the dwarf is shit thing, the throwing dogs alone are absurdly good against characters and small units

Of all the games I've played, I never had the chance to use them - the enemy was either out of range and would charge me next turn, or it was in charge range for me in which case I chose that, or was on shooty units that had targets 15-18" away.

Fighting solely elf/cavalry armies, or something?

Undeads with cavalry, vampire on dragon and werewolves. And ogre shooters with +12" range. And yes, elves, with lots of archers and war machines.

Oh right, there are currently 4 non-evil human armies he could use as Bretonnians.

The core rule book has:

Basileans, the kingdom of human paladins. They have a lot of strong infantry units including battle nuns and paladins. They also get units of giant angels and a Phoenix monster.

Kingdoms of men, the most 'realistic' human army in KoW. Based off typical medieval armies, they have a bit of everything, including shield walls, pikemen, knights, archers and handgunners. They also have options for wizards and a giant war beast.

Uncharted Realms adds:

The Brotherhood, the Not!Bretonnians. A knighthood formed from a destroyed kingdom. As you would imagine, they have a large selection of knights to choice from. They also have foot knight, water elementals and Robin Hood's ferrymen.

The League of Rhorida, the Not!Empire. However, they also get a large selection of halfling units to pick from.

There's also the historical armies from the historical book

Supersystem?

The Basilea (human) models are pretty bad, spongy detail and fucked proportions abound.

As for a 'good match' the starter sets are all reasonably close in points values so any should work.

My kickstarter halflings from TAG finally showed so I'm doing Chicken Knights right now.

>not hobbit chocobo knights

And miss out on all the 'massive cock' pun opportunities? NEVER.

Antares has a small range of mdf scenery.
The rulebook also has some gamingtables with more involved terrain. Futuristic bridges and ancient ruins (pyramids actually).

But yeah, as the other user pointed out the story is about the Xilos horizon. It's where commander Fartok and a bunch of the other character models so far come from.

And from the six factions two don't even really settle. Boromites are kind of space gypsies and the freeborn live on their ships. although boromites recently got mdf scenery too.
Most of that is for Algoryn though.
>pic related

I think the Concord and Isorian settlements would be pretty hard to pull off.

though I figure Concord could look something like this.

No idea how Isorian cities would look though. Probably like a mix of this and Zerg 'architecture'.

There are also quite a few nice artworks in the rulebook you won't get to see anywhere else.
Warlord really could do a lot more to market the game.

But to be fair most of the mdf scenery wasn't around a year ago when the game was released so there's that.
Jungles are easier to build and coming up with an original style of architecture and building cities with that.

bump

Anyone know where one can one can get the War of the Ring books?

Pdf or physical book?

pdf. Know of any mega where I can download?

I'll upload it, gimme a sec.

There's only two books, the rulebook itself and Battlehosts. They usually go cheap, I think Mighty Miniatures on Facebook has a core book for something like 10 britbux. Worth it, it's a good rules system, and it seems Matt Ward can do good things with LotR.

For user in the last thread, I dumped "Five Parsecs From Home", the sci fi skirmish campaign addon for Five Core by Nordic Weasel Games

pdf-archive.com/2017/02/17/fiveparsecsfromhome/

Has to be a link, as I couldnt get the PDF below 8mb with the way I removed the watermarks

War of the Ring:
mega.nz/#!CM9SlZpQ!hyv-RA7nTLP9aK1Rpf249GmpWupunNYW-GkwCUmkS1g

Battlehosts:
mega.nz/#!eIkW3SqR!BbVyDUk4sLuSYl2zhuykXAI-iVLROxdX9g2dQjj5_UM

WotR FAQ:
mega.nz/#!DN1k1JwB!3SFXXzz8wmsn6V2ZYjwf0onQi19RieIa75Cl2ucRh3M

Thanks a real bunch my melanin rich brother! Appreciate it, really.

No problem, but still, get the book if you can. Played a couple of games with it, enjoyed it. Shooting is a bit underpowered, but otherwise it's pretty solid.

I've been working on 10mm Empire for KoW, to go with my Orcs.

I've painted a cannon, a stand of knights, two stands of greatswords and two stands of handgunners.

Models are Pendraken English Civil War and Landsknects.

>Lost gaming group years ago
>Only club is across town and only plays Warmahordes, current GW games and Flames of War
>Semester that wants to fuck my face and destroy any amount of sleep and free time left approaching quickly
>Urge to build a 10 or 15mm force for KoW, WHFB6th edition and the likes still rising for weeks

Send help

Looking nice,how cheap is 10mm?

depending on where you source the minis its dirt cheap, ~10 usd for 50 minis last time I checked

at the cheapest, I mean.

5 UK pounds for 30 guys, or 15 cavalry. I use 7 figures to a stand or 4 cavalry.

Any Rogue Stars players have advice on creating babby's first Star Cops squad?

assault rifles are pretty cool.

Nice, I have to get some to introduce victims to wargames.

You'll have some downtime - use that to do some bits and bobs, once the semester is over, you can enter full modeling power. It felt fucking doo to do whatever once I got my diploma and finally finished my 'nam US platoob. And they got me a gold at a modeling show today

>Not "chubby shortstacks riding massive cocks.jpg"

Getting into Confrontation 3e. Anyone else play? I'm building a Dirz army.

Waiting to see what happens with the revival.

Is 15mm too big or too small?

It's most likely going to be a board game with plastic miniatures and the skirmish rules will be ala on a grid like DUST or Imperial Assault. i'm sticking to 3.5e until something better comes out. Plus my FLGS still have a ton of backstock I can get for pennies on the dollar.

for what?

>commander Fart... ok

Unfortunate name.

Fair enough, solid reasons.

Does your LGS have a click and mortar interface?

Thanks, this looks like just the thing!

Anyone who is familiar with Mantic know if they're ever going to actually redo the Twilight Kin range, or at the very least make them available again? I thought they were pretty good and wouldn't have minded sinking into it.

They still haven't released their new army book, though I expect them to make new minis for them at around the same time.

Too big for mass battle too small for skirmish. It's fantastic for 40k-scale stuff (50 odd dudes and a few vehicles).

I agree, perfect size for it. 6mm is the best for Massive armies.

3mm though

1mm though

How is that skel blowing that horn with no lips?

How is that skel moving without any organs or tissues?

I'm sure the large number of skirmish rules for 15mm would tend to disagree with your statement.

Gruntz and Ionage come instantly to mind for Sci-Fi. They also scale well to 40k style and considering if you play on a 6'x4' I'd imagine they would do mass fairly well.

Just cause you have a hard-on for 6mm doesn't make alternative facts the truth.

You question the mighty DOOT?

>Too big for mass battle too small for skirmish
I'd disagree with that. Unless you want a really huge number of guys on the table and thus 6mm, 15mm also works well for KoW, HotT and the likes. It's a nice middle ground between detail and number of miniatures.

bump

It's an opinion lad. I think 15mm looks crappy at skirmish scales. I'm not saying it's wrong to use 15mm for skirmish games. With stuff like HoF I think it's brilliant, but that's the exception imo.

And I didn't mention 6mm at all. I dislike it, painting it is a fucking bore. I think 10mm is better for massive battle stuff since you can still get some detail in the model.

ospreypublishing.com/scrappers
>Brink of Battle

Anyone played it? Never saw the game mentioned outside of the author's shilled thread on LAF.

Will Spartan deliver their KS?

Also CoA frigates. They'll probably benefit from an airbrush more than my Polish.

Nobody can play it if it isn't available yet

Sorry i wasn't specific, I was wondering if someone played Brink of Battle, the game by the same designer (and already available).

>Will Spartan deliver their KS?
no

Maybe.

I don't know.

Can you repeat the question?

>Prince Gustav of Josefburg meeting with the Orc Warlord Gul Gadin
>"We need to discuss the matter of some kind of financial arrangement to stop you razing my villages" - Last words of Prince Gustav

And here is the supplement to FiveParsecs, "Every Star An Opportunity"

I find 15mm to be the perfect scale for skirmish to platoon level. Anything bigger you wanna go to 6mm.

Are those 15mm? Excellent paint job if they are!

I bet is unbearable to play against those guys.

I'm down for this. Do they have witch elves?