The GM's job is to entertain the players

>The GM's job is to entertain the players
>In addition it is the player's job to entertain the GM
Do you agree with this sentiment?

Well, yeah. Gaming is about having fun. If everyone isn't having fun, switch it up.

No. Fuck the GM.

Yes and no. I see playing a TTRPG as cooperative storytelling with some rules for the sake of having some grounding.

I agree mostly, but the GM's job is to entertain the players and make sure the elf is always raped be some unholy form.

>fuck the GM

No, thanks.

Yes. It's the GMs job to run the game and make the world for the players to explore. It is also the job of the players to make a game that the GM enjoys to run to prevent the GM from rapidly burning out.

But this means the players need to work toward that as well.

>make the world

>GM only

The players can build upon a game world that has to exist first. They can add a town or two you pulled from their backstories but a vast majority of worldbuilding is the GM's job.

Have you ever tried collaborative worldbuilding? It works great. Generally better, even, 'cause the players are more involved.

Also, backstories should get out in the actual sessions.

Makes sense honestly.

In my setting it;s not rape if it's an elf. Female, anyway.

Because the world isn't real if you have a say in what's in it. It becomes an illusion. Useless and fake, unsatisfying.

>Have you ever tried collaborative worldbuilding?

Do you also do collaborative character generation?

Other fag here.

Hey, that's pretty good idea. At least you players are more on the same line and not ragtag bunch of adventurers, who team only for vision of gold. Maybe, this way they can have some more cohesion or something.

>cooperative storytelling
Its a GAME of coop storytelling.
The game part is importat cause it neans everyone should be having fun.

>ragtag bunch of adventurers, who team only for vision of gold.
If youre playing dnd thats the only way to play.

*yawn* boring. Tell me when the next fight starts.

>it's everyone's job to try and make sure everyone has a good time

It should be enjoyable to GM to GM, so I suppose that's an accurate statement.

It turns out in my group I'm the only one who enjoys it, though.

Felt real bad when the other GM basically said "user, I GM for your sake. So you can actually play. I hate it.'

Now I'm acutely aware my fun comes at their suffering and I feel bad.

Why shouldn't we? Making sure that party members fit each other and the story can prevent a lot of game-wrecking troubles.

Basically, this. Everyone should be trying to contribute to the group's good time. When someone starts not caring if they're the only one having fun, they become That Guy.

I said that the other day, but that was because the DM was arguing with a player about rules for 20 minutes

>Doesn't do a session 0 dedicated to creating the groups' characters, connecting them together and establishing them in the setting.

Shit GM detected.

t. railroading GM

Are you saying that you don't? Because having character creation as a group helps in limiting a lot of bullshit like the kitsune sorcerer showing up to a party comprised of mercenaries and man-at-arms.

>Veeky Forums likes having fun together

Oh gosh :3

Everyone should care about everyone else involved. It's hobby, not work or competition.

The game is a venue for people to entertain themselves. The GM's job is to enable that to happen.
I am not here for the players' amusement, nor am I a babysitter.

>collaborative worldbuilding
The PC's actions help build the world, as has every other PC in every game for every group I've re-used the setting for. I bounce around the timeline, use old games as myth and legend, etc. Which setting am I using for any particular game? I'm not sure until I sit down and start running the game and things click together.
I should probably write some of it down.