White Wolf

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qc2_rSysXws
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Appealing to otherkin long before it was cool.

Mark Rein-Hagen

Marketing death-spiral. They focused too much on selling books to their existing customers which resulted in selling more and more books to less and less people, and every book made the whole setting less appealing to anyone already not involved in it. By the time they realized what had happened they'd drunk enough of their own Kool-Aid to think that the solution was one whole year of celebratory publshing glut followed by a whole new set of books.

This.

Nah, that went to shit only after it became cool and fashionable to be a professional victim.

Well, he's not wrong.

What book was this in?

Hopefully the one written right before the author fucking killed himself

Mage20, I can tell because the background of the sidebars is the same as the xeximxer sidebar that got ~700 replies over 2 threads when the book first came out.

>you need to make green, yellow and red cards
Holly shit, that sound like something you do for preschool children.

>women are mammals with hair
Out of everything in this image, that's the part user thought was worthy of macro text?

Actually, the colored card system has been shown to be mostly ineffective in helping with classroom behavior, because the "bad kids" relish the attention of getting a colored card. Please do not do that with preschool children.

Rewarding the entire class by moving them closer to a shared goal (pizza party, etc.) when they are all behaving properly is a much better approach.

>he's a white wolf player
>and degenerate pervert
>who's giving advice about children
>"pizza party"
Kill yourself now, the cops are on their way and you are going to get torn the fuck up in prison

>he's a white wolf player
Where did you get that?

I just knew this thread would be full of delicious Internet drama and hand-wringing about the skeleton menace.

Not much time left. Maybe you can still manage to actually die before they find you.

Any proof?

Not sure where you're getting any of the whitewolf player or pervert stuff. Looks like he might be an educator or know one.

Stop giving him (you)s. It's not like we'll be short on bait in a White Wolf thread, you can wait for something higher quality.

Well, his type is attracted to professions that put them in proximity to children, after all.

>Stop giving him (you)s
Fuck off, I can feed all the trolls I want. If you don't enjoy this bait thread, you can close the tab.

Degree in child development and teaching licenses in two states.

Yes, and?

Nothing. All of their new stuff is good.
Nwod > owod
Ex3 > ex2/1
Fight me

>Ex3 > ex2/1
>oh look, this mostly functional game is better than a pile of garbage that's been lit on fire
I look forward to seeing how they ruin Lunars this time. Their comments before release give some hints, but it can always be worse.

Fuck. Now I legitimately fear for my Wr20 book (if it ever finishes kek). I didn't realize WW had turned into this shit.

Is this a yellow or red card for you?

I haven't indulged much in CofD, but there's something in the way the VtR corebook is written I can't stand.

I think it's the tumblr-tier retardation

Very funny

At least they don't have their claws on the new Scion.

HOLY FUCKING FUCK

In a story that made the local news, teachers in my school encouraged bullying because they agreed that children are much easier to control when you have a strict hierarchy.

As someone who knows nothing about White Wolf beyond playing that nifty Deus Ex clone they put out, can someone fill me in on what happened to them? Did the company itself go defunct? What is with Chronicles of Darkness as opposed to World of Darkness?

Gamers are basically preschool children, though.

Link? Would love to read this.

They're absolutely right.

Bullying is always awful to see and it can really destroy people's lives.

But good grief do I know some adults who should've been thrown into more trash cans in high school.

They became Tunblr-tier retards who insisted on shoving "muh social justice" and shit into their games. Once the game starts being about preaching your insane ideology rather than fun, the end is in sight. No game company can serve two masters, after all.

>Even when creating literally Gamergate incarnate, they couldn't resist the temptation to make her a strong, independent woman.
JUST

You realize one of their most popular franchises was a game about Ecoterrorist furries, right?

This is an incredible antagonist write-up. In addition to using a concept that has rarely yet been used in an interesting fashion in RPGs, it manages to maintain a delicate balance in the way it handles its subject matter - on one hand, it uses "adolescent man-children" to describe her targets, but but the text still implies contempt for Snyper's action, calling her a troll with empty rhetoric. Has an evocative home description that would make for an excellent final showdown.
10/10, would use in my campaign.

Isn't that written by Onyx Path though?

Not saying WW didn't have its case of shit like this, but you can't really lay the blame for that particular shitfest at their feet.

You haven't seen the dick eyes have you?

Yeah honestly it kind of gives mixed messages. At first I thought she represented the Anti GGers, who are just as autistic and bloodthirsty as the /v/irgins they hate. But given it's White Wolf that's probably not the case.

>"adolescent man-children"
user, that... Describes her supporters, not her enemies.

Nah I'm to lay it Phil Bru. The man who wrote oldmage into the ground. Prolific ww writer. Old hand. word of God. and he still fucked it up

The 20th books are done by Onyx Path, hopefully 5th edition won't be so shit.

Their games sucked. Fluff can only carry you so far when everything runs on a crappy system, and their refusal to abandon it after RPGs started getting more refined and we had non-crappy choices did them in.

Say whatever you want about their politics, their odd magical realms, their emoness, but there's a market for all those things. But the fundamental truth is that the market for crappy games which refuse to adapt to modern game design has been filled by D&D, and it's not a big enough niche for two.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qc2_rSysXws

>implying they don't

There's the exact same kind of SJ work going on in new Scion, and they still fucked up the system. And they put in the added fuck you of splitting the core rules into two books.

I still like the System Mastery review where they complain about how all the goddesses are either mother figures or sexual figures, with no sense of irony.

These guys need to chill out.

>I still like the System Mastery review where they complain about how all the goddesses are either mother figures or sexual figures, with no sense of irony.
Wait what?

System Mastery Podcast did a review of Scion where they talked about (among other things, including an actually decent review of the system itself) the sexism of the writeups for all the goddess, about how they all ended up having sexual careers (like strippers and prostitutes) over the millennia, and even Artemis got a lesbian writeup, and the ones who didn't were non-sexualized Madonnas.

Totally missing how all the goddesses traditionally had that going on.

>Artemis
>Lesbian
So that Orion thing meant nothing? Or did they just need a dyke?

So they were angry that ancient gods didn't have modern morals and sensibilities.
I fucken hate this gay earth.

She's a virgin goddess who hangs out exclusively with virgin nymphs and punished the one member of her cadre who went for the D. It's not a hard assumption to make.

True, she is strongly associated with that. But also with extreme bitterness towards women who have relationships in general. Because, you know, Orion didn't really work out and she's enforcing her bitterness.

That works for Aphrodite, but what about Hera, Hestia, Demeter, and Persephone? I'd like to see Hera as a pop relationship counselor or child psychologist, Hestia opening homeless shelters and managing massive chains of apartment companies, Demeter owning Monsanto, and Persephone doing things like the National Arboretum and Longwood Gardens.

>Their games sucked.
Pretty much this. They had great art and writing in some books, but they started to lose their edge by third 3rd ed (owod).
I think vampires also reached a sort of cultural oversaturation point in the 90s. There was so much media about vampires or with vampire characters in it at the time, they just became pretty stale as a narrative device and I think people just got bored of them.

Everybody forgets Hestia. She just doesn't fit into their agendas.

Artemis pretty much fucked over ANY woman who got the D on her watch, not just her devotees. She's not simply gay, she's got a complex against dicks.

Justin Achilli. Fucking wank.

Why is Scion 2e, which didn't sound so hot as early as when the Kickstarter was revealed, becoming worse and worse with each additional preview?

Because the people making it are awful

Because the guys in Onyx Path can't seem to be able to write a paragraph of Scion fiction without reminding the reader GAY PEOPLE EXIST, HERE THEM ROAR, lest they forget.

OPP can't decide what's more important to them, talking about gay people or making the game as close as possible to Fate for those extra credits from gay people.

WW was always that and you're stupid for not realizing it.

You disappoint us, user.

You know, they're right. Unless they're constantly blasting me in the face with trannies and queers, I'd totally erase them from existence.

Outside of beast mostly nothing. Its just people being thin skinned cry babies about books using words they don't like.

I do have to admit that a small part of me does enjoy the irony of them making a big deal about inserting all that "progressive" stuff, then turning around and making Beast basicaly be "Abuser: The Victim Blaming"

>taking a page from the BDSM playbook

1. The introductions of competing cosmologies
2. Metaplot bottlenecking combined with crossover lore
3. The collapse of AD&D
4. The Time of Judgement
5. Having the MMO go bust and bankrupting WW
6. Turning nWoD into CoFD
7. Creation of Onyx Path
8. All of 20th anniversary stuff
9. The creation of new White Wolf by Dracula

The two prelude games for nu-oWoD feature the evil Technocracy being anti-immigration and a transgender vampire that kills Trump voters. Dracula's White Wolf is going to suck

Phrasing!

>The two prelude games for nu-oWoD feature the evil Technocracy being anti-immigration and a transgender vampire that kills Trump voters. Dracula's White Wolf is going to suck
Well, it's over guys. It's finally all over.

Why is a globalist conspiracy against immigration?

The entire White Wolf mess reeks of people that accidently hit the nerve of the time, but never really got what the fuck made their game appealing.

Artemis is no dyke, user - you are projecting modern garbage onto mythic reality.

In fairness to that user the "Artemis is a rugmuncher" characterization came around way before modern progressive politics on sex and gender.

Kind of inevitable when one of her major character traits is "distrusts men".

>Kind of inevitable when one of her major character traits is "distrusts men".
Erm, only from a modern perspective can THAT trait be assumed to mean "has sexual relations with women exclusively". Helluva leap from 'distrust' to full-blown homosexuality....Artemis defends the matriarchy, but she ain't gay...opposing da man don't make her gay....despite what tumblr and redit might tell you............

It's not so much people insist she actually was intended as gay.

Just if someone reinterprets the characters for their own work (which happened well before Tumblr) and decided one had to be a lesbian she'd be at the top of the list.

Dude, what?

Artemis has always been associated with lesbians, however whether she was one herself was something poets disagreed on. The point about Orion above is a big one, because in all versions Artemis loves him because he is her only rival, or hates that she loves him because her equal is a man. That difference then influences the tale of Orion's death; whether she was tricked by Apollo or orchestrated it herself.

I'm just waiting for aberrant 2e.

Because the legend differs based on who is telling and there is no "true telling", my personal Scion canon on Artemis is the following.

Artemis is long established as the greatest of hunters, and she considers herself a big, independent goddess who don't need no man. Then hops along Orion who is every bit the hunter she is, in tracking, archery, and cunning. His prowess and equal reverence towards the hunt endears him to her, and they hunt together many times. However, Orion is a man, and her own acknowledgement and admiration for him vexes her to no end. Apollo, being both kind of a jerk and protective of his little sister, sees her emotional turmoil and reads it entirely wrong. Thinking he's going to rid her of an annoying mortal, he takes Artemis out for some shooting, and tells her to fire at something (Orion) out in the distance. With Orion now dead, Artemis decides to deal with her feelings by swearing off men, and the heartache they bring, forever. She curses her followers who break this taboo because she cannot handle seeing them having a happiness now forever lost to her.

>Artemis has always been associated with lesbians
Wrong! False! Artemis has always been associated with the pre-'greek' matriarchy, just like Hestia, Aphrodite, and Athena, and all the rest. Because her seat of power was ionia, her matriarchal character was maintained through the oral phase of greek history, while the power of the other greek godesses was subsumed under Zeus.
Read a book, user.

Very nice - someone reads!

With the company?

>Setting interesting to read but the game is shit.
>Better game with a shit setting.

Globalists need workers, preferably workers that can't leave no matter how bad things are.

Tsundere Artemis is moe

OMG a fucking vampire game isn't historically accurate enough for you and that sent you into a nihilism spiral. Sucks to be you, bro.

I'm not seeing what the armpits have to do with the text.

System Mastery is a good podcast but fuck does Jeff sperg out over some really dumb things.

The last game they reviewed even passed his stupid seduction test (if your seduction rules don't require your target to be the opposite sex it passes) but he still complained because the game happened to phrase it something to the tune of "You can seduce people of the opposite (or same) sex."

John is at least pretty reasonable and seems to have a better grasp of the games they review than Jeff does.

The theory I've seen floating around is that since the EU will never form up into an easily rulable nation due to being made of countries with long standing histories and cultural identities, the idea is that by mass importing immigrants you stomp out the finding culture and replace it with a unified one, aka Islam. Once that takes hold then your shadow rulers of choice (Jews, Illuminati, Satanists, 13 Families, etc) then can set into motion taking the reigns since at that point the cultural identity is shot.

I don't know how I feel about part two, but part one under the context of a cultural war sort of thing isn't 100% crazy.

>Seduction test
He should just change it to 'if the target would reasonably find you sexually desirable' if he's getting his undies in a knot over it.

The thing is that 99% of the games they review would still fail because they tend to review old and forgotten games, and outside of the occasional weird artsy game or WoD gameline, very games even acknowledged that gay people existed up until fairly recently.

He knows that. Everyone knows that. He still brings it up anyway.

I think his complaint isn't about historicity, but about the pandering....how do you not see that? omg, bro - sux to be yu

White Wolf was an independent publishing company, which made the World of Darkness urban horror/fantasy setting (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Hunter, etc.), and the Storyteller RPG system.

Eventually, the World of Darkness ended (it had been building up towards the apocalypse for several years), and the company began working on the "New" World of Darkness setting, and a new iteration of their old system to run it. They also made Scion and Exalted around this time.

They ended up getting bought by CCP (the makers of EVE Online), White Wolf itself became a hollow shell to hold the IP, and all the writers ended up working with Onyx Path Productions, which itself worked with the shell of White Wolf to keep making books.

Now that White Wolf got bought by Paradox Interactive (makers of the Crusader Kings video games), the new owners mandated that "New" World of Darkness had to change its name. So now it is called Chronicles of Darkness, while the old stuff is just plain World of Darkness.

>wildly throws around accusations based on little or no evidence

Get out of here /pol/. Literally anyone from a teacher to a child behavioral psychologist to a day care worker to a fucking parent could possibly know that information

And what do all those people have in common?
They're all degenerates.

For me, it was Beast. bit of a tl;dr coming up, but damn it I want to paint a picture here and now may be the only time to properly bitch.

So I was rolling with White Wolf's shit since ascension because I thought the idea was fucking cool. Now, admittedly, there were some rough patches here and there, but nothing severe enough to make me walk outright. (Admittedly, part of this comes from my unrelenting hatred towards d20 base systems. I can get into them, but oh man have I seen some shit in d20 groups.)

Anyway, I was more of an nWoD Player. Exalted existed but I never found a group for it, and I can say from experience that most oWoD players are either cancer or fucking amazing. (Generally, Dreaming players tended to be the most chill.)

So around this point, my interest had begun to wane; and part of that was because any game that tries to crossover gets complicated as hell because of the weird shit that comes with some cosmologies (Compare the Shadow, the Astral, and Arcadia and the similarities start to get hard to work around, for example.) The other part was Sin Eater, loved the idea, but jesus christ those mechanics; and Lolli was a fucking abomination of a character who could be summarized as 'gender bender club kid drug dealer but totally the good guy!' But, you know, that shit could be ignored. And then God Machine dropped.

Let me tell you, as an old WoD player, that shit was the coolest thing I had seen out of them for years. It was everything I could have asked for in a game about a world superficially similar to ours save supernatural shit and gothic punk shit. Especially the unchained demons. So anyway, I was back on that teat, the chronicle books were coming out and most seemed to be pretty bamf; Forsaken was getting a better karma bar, Mage was consolidating its crossover issues and getting a simpler focus, and even fucking promethean looked like it was getting an update, fucking promethean.
>Continued in next post

What was the deal with the God Machine?

I hear it tossed around occasionally but it never gets more than a few mentions.

I'll give the sales pitch then the sober view;

Sales Pitch
>Imagine a monotheistic god that is Not Yours. It is the thing responsible for the universe yet is so very much outside of it. It lives on the 13th floor of the hotel, in the church where the priest fucks the child, and it Does Not Like You. Well, more that you are a gnat to it, it could annihilate you as mere collateral damage, and yet, it knows exactly who you are. In a way, it made you. See, our planet is part of some grand design for it, our little blue speck has some part to play in the universe, so God sends it's Angels to make sure that everything is going according to plan, and not even the Angels know what that plan is.

Actual Players Perspective
>Pretty dope big bad thing, but unless the ST is good it is the last plot you can meaningfully run; because it's so much 'bigger' than anything else. Think how (hate me as you will) the other monsters in supernatural stopped being a big deal after the whole 'angels and demons' thing became the focus of the show.