What's the verdict on tanks, Veeky Forums?

What's the verdict on tanks, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/kTd8l
imgur.com/a/l9Q7e
imgur.com/a/pkzg5
imgur.com/a/DVF81
imgur.com/a/7y8vp
imgur.com/a/Ug78a
imgur.com/a/8B25c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They're garbage desu.

Clankity clank, I'm coming for that flank!

Mechs are better.

Say that within 5 km of me and not online see what happens.

Every time I see a bridge I have flashbacks to WarThunder.

Fucking assholes wait your turn and stop pushing me into the river!

Boring garbage that tell me either the DM or the player is a no-fun autist who should never been invited to any game I am involved in.

I agree with
For vehicle play, mechs or space ships are better.

Whoever made that pic needs to do more research

the M18 has a 76mm gun
the tank destroyer with a 90mm gun was the M36 Jackson

They did test a couple made with the 90mm, but it fucked up the frame, and firing it caused the tank to skip backwards by about a foot.

Ugliest Sherman

7/10 needs more wings

>Say that within 5 km of me and not online see what happens.

>5 km
>Renault FT

Yeah, I'll be quaking in my boots 5 km away from the 37mm Puteaux with its max range of 2.5 km...

My guess is the artist was using world of tanks... which plays fast and lose with physics. Also, to pad the tank count, tends to read "There were like, three prototypes that all fucked up horribly" as a historical basis.

How would one base a side quest around repairing a derelict magictech tank in a fantasy setting?

I'm capable of weaving such a thing into my setting without it breaking immersion - so now I've got it in my head to do so.

Do they just find parts/replacements over time on their various adventures, or will a wizard have to reverse engineer it into something more useful?

PCs worst nightmare,a s they probably wont lug anti-tank weapons around. Its the modern Balrog-

Tanks>Mechas

What does it run on would be how I'd handle it, yeah a 100 ton magic tank is bloody cool but if it's out if pixie dust it's just a over sized wagon. What I'm really projecting here is for your party to hunt down pixies and fairys for their magic go go dust but on genocide levels to keep said tank running

They're good.

...sauce?

>That flat surface presenting a 90-degree armor plate to the enemy, thus allowing enemy rounds to penetrate at the optimum angle.

>those rivets which can snap upon impact of an enemy shell and become bullets bouncing around the interior of your fighting compartment.

>the metal ladder rungs on the upper front glacis plate of the lower chassis that lead to nowhere

That tank looks hella cool, but the armor design is incredibly inefficient. Y'all need some properly angled armor, comrade.

Depends entirely on how you are planning to use them.

I was once playing with bunch of Slavs, are wanting to play something similar to their cult classic TV series about WW2 tankers. It was fun, mostly because they knew what they were doing.

I was also running a series of campaign in GURPS for bunch of mercs fighting during Second Sino-Japanese War, and they were eventually using a captured tank. Also fun.

Tanks however are total shit in Twilight 2000 and starting with one is usually considered bigger problem than starting without any vehicle whatsoever, since they are designed for combat, not transportation. And if the roll for Condition will be 7 or above, we usually just get rid of the tank first chance given. It's literally better to take a hike or use a civilian car than trying to move in a tank. Bonus points if it's NATO tank.

Mika from Girls Und Panzer. I thought I had the pic, but I think I deleted it after making that pic.

>That autist who misses the point about utterly inefficient steam-powered tank and acts like it's a serious concept

Found it!

Tank facts:
Tanks are better and cooler than mechs.
Tanks without turrets are for the man with patrician taste.
Best: Stug
Cutest: Hetzer
Most badass: Jagdtiger

Thanks fampai.

I was getting to an actually helpful post- let me have my fun.

If you're putting a tank into a fantasy setting, you should consider if it's a one-of-a-kind prototype or if it's a relic from a previous time period, or if tanks just kinda started happening at some point and stopped being useful (and thus got abandoned).

Finding parts would likely be difficult, unless they were looking in old factories or some shit. You might be better off having the PCs take measurements and try to figure out what's missing/not working, and then questing for the materials to assemble/fix this thing. Presumably fantasy-setting tank is not made from 100% common shit. The armor might be if it's riveted/rolled-homogenous steel, but tanks have a lot of complex parts to them.

>not mentioning the Jagdpanther

you absolute barbarian. I bet you don't even like the SU-100.

For me it's a tie between the panther and tiger, but I prefer the 2 smaller ones anyway. I just mentioned it for the sake completness. Also I forgot the name of that scandinvian cold war tank.

Have a not-da-vinci like in whfb who is the only one that knew how make/repair these tanks and have the players contact his ghost or flat out revive him. Would be a shame to waste this on a sidequest though.

Stridsvagn 103.

Handsome british tanks

>Would be a shame to waste this on a sidequest though.
>Be overlord
>Thinks the heroes are going to face him with the ancient champion's sword
>They run him over with an armored combat vehicle

I believe you're thinking of the Stridsvagn 103. The Borkmobile.

Carro veloce a cute! A cute!

Thing about British tanks, is that eventually they Build the Centurion, and then the Chieftain, followed by the Chally and Chally 2. It took some time, but like any hard worker, they body built into pure sex.

But those are Tank Destroyers which though still patrician aren't tanks.

Both naturally pale in comparison to armored trains naturally.

As for tanks, I absolutely love them for a variety of settings but find that having more than 1 PC in a single vehicle in a crewmember role gets pretty clunky.

>If you're putting a tank into a fantasy setting, you should consider if it's a one-of-a-kind prototype or if it's a relic from a previous time period

This coming from the guy who shat on a steam powered tank with a redcoat commander for not living up to WW2 era design ideas.

That feel when you have an aluminum-hulled scout tank equipped with a monstrous 152mm cannon.

Perfect PC vehicle.
>Air dropable, Amphib
>Variety of munitions such as ATGM, 152mm canister shot, HEAT, etc.
>Crew of 4
>Gotta go fast levels of fast.

I like fantasy tanks as much as the next person, but I can still look at their designs and jokingly mock them for being outdated.

The steam-powered tank in the image looks like it takes inspiration from WW2-era designs. The Chassis is a mix of German late-war tank designs. The turret looks to be in the style of a Tiger, and the gun has a triple muzzle-brake, which is a significantly more modern feature. I don't understand the hostility I'm getting. Don't take stuff so personally.

Also, the IS-3 isn't really a WW2-era tank, it's more of a postwar vehicle.

Wrong

It only has a crew of 2, but when I learned about this little roach I thought it was pretty awesome for similar reasons.

5-6 ton tank prototype designed by the French after WW2 to be air-dropped. Fast as shit, mounts a 90mm cannon.

It's like someone looked at Italian tanks and made them actually good.

Why not both?

>literally greasing the treads with pixie dust grounded automatically between the top of the tread and interior bins that feed the pixies directly into the road wheels.

Inferior to mechs

Where do all these delusional rubes keep coming from? It's like they keep crawling out from under rocks.

>If you're putting a tank into a fantasy setting, you should consider if it's a one-of-a-kind prototype or if it's a relic from a previous time period, or if tanks just kinda started happening at some point and stopped being useful (and thus got abandoned).
... because?

Son, if there exists an operational tank, you MUST have an infrastructure supporting existence of one in the first place. This is this type of hardware that will turn into rust and rot within 10 years of not using and break down at least once per 1000 kms from sheer wear and tear. You don't just store one in some ancient warehouse.

So you are basically putting your (pretty shitty) headcanon excuse to both have and don't have tanks. If you are going to limit them this way, you can as well don't have them at all and it will improve the setting greatly.

Like I've said, 'tism.

That tank looks like a siege tower, first of all. You are getting the hostility for actively being autistic and claiming you are not.

/m/

prototype m18 'super' hellcat armed with the 90mm cannon from the Jackson. Made at the end of WWII

There is a middle ground, I think. However, there is no accounting for taste.

So basically something between Tetrarch and AMX line of tanks?
Perfectly doable.

The only part that is not going to work is amphib. The sheer amount of elements required for it would easily double the weight of a vehicle capable of being air-dropped.

>Perfect PC vehicle
More like pic related. PC included, dog familiar missing, random NPC added

How about adding tank treads, or wheels to the legs so it can be a convertible?

The best of both worlds- treads allow for a faster vehicle, whereas legs allow for the ability to navigate many more types of terrain.

I thought that this was a pretty cool tank for similar reasons to that one. Sadly, no dog.

I mean tanks cab already go over lots of different kinds of terrain. That's what treads are for, after all

>be T-34 loader
>have no arms

That's true, but even treads have their limits.

If you're going to add tanks to your fantasy / steampunk world, you've got one very easy justification for them: Most weaponry in fantasy RPGs is directly derived from a world which didn't have monsters and magic, but your world DOES.

So your world's got dragons and manticores and demons and all other shit. Presumably the nations in your world have armies for fighting each other, but they also need to fight monsters too, so why are they using the same equipment for doing both jobs?

If you think about it, fantasy armies would have a perfectly good reason to develop newer weapons and defenses against such a threat, and why can't the tank be one of them? Got a steampunk world? You're most of the way there already, just figure out a vehicle that uses whatever engine your world has, put protecting plating on it, and make bigger versions of the weapons your world already has. Don't got steampunk? Use magic instead. Have someone make a horseless carriage, and then have someone else go 'Let's throw armour on that and a big ballista!' and run with it.

I like tanks. Especially rare tanks.

is that the bovington tiger?

I'm glad a genius like you can look at a clearly dated concept with the assistance of nearly a hundred years of groundwork from genuinely talented and intelligent people who devoted everything to their craft. Well done for paying attention. You definitely proved that you know what a modern tank looks like.

That is indeed. Tiger day 2014, and I got a prime spot for close-up pictures of it in motion.

Daily reminder that that's not just a prop; it runs!

You lucky sonofagun!

I've been wanting to go to Bovington for years now, but I'm stuck in America. I was in London in 2014, but I was visiting for other reasons, and unavailable to make the 2-hour (ish) journey.

IIRC that is the last functional Tiger tank left.

It runs? No way! that's awesome!

Wait- is that a British flag in the background? Where exactly are people keeping that tank? I expected it to be somewhere in the US.

And the T-34 above was literally just lend from nearby military unit, so?

Bovington tank museum, as stated upthread. They have an annual Tiger Day, where the public is invited to watch a display of Tiger 131 in action.

It is indeed. I go there for Tankfest every year because I fucking love tanks.

You should make the trip for it sometime. They really lay on the spectacle, and get all the running tanks out to go around in circles in their arena while giving lectures.

>Where exactly are people keeping that tank?
The tank is kept where the movie borrowed it from; Bovington Tank Museum.
Is the in-musem exhibit. The pic in was at their annual Tankfest, where they have it along with all the other tanks in the movie. Including the Tiger; that wasn't fucking CGI. They borrowed the sole running Tiger to make the movie.

They have a T-34-85 that runs too.

No dog = not good enough. Having a frech meat new guy to run the machine gun doesn't cut it.

Also, I am a retard and can't read. But the fury is also at bovington I think

It is.

The T-34-85 they used for Rudy was filmed over 30 years before the film Fury. I would say it makes seeing a running/functional version more rare.

Plus, I get excited pretty easily when tanks are involved.

The most "famous" T-34-85 is from Canadian tank museum...
... since it really has 102 designated number. Cue entire crowds of Poles taking photos every time they've see it.

It's not about just "running", but being a vehicle still used by the army. It's a tier higher than just "it's close to war enough to get still plentiful running vehicles", and more "they were still using this stuff in the 60s and making new ones just few years ago"

Bovington is on my bucket list, right up there with Kubinka in Russia. International travel is expensive though, so it's more of a long-term plan. There's a museum in/near Toronto, Canada that's a bit easier to get to.

A huge appeal of fury was that they did not use CGI for their tanks. Using the last running tiger on earth as a prop is pretty damn impressive.

My draw to Kubinka (among a million other things) is that I want to see this monster.

Man, this series is what I use every single fucking time when I need to convince people it's a great idea to be a party of tankers. It's so absurdly inaccurate and basically a propaganda piece, but it's just too good to ignore in terms of pure tabletop value. Kind of WW2 version of 13th warrior - a so-so production, but holy shit, this is so relatable to the hobby!

Fair point, I know the T-34-85 was in service/production for a LOOOOOOONG time after the war ended. It's a hell of a workhorse.

Don't want to shatter your dreams, but Kubinka is pretty bad museum. Until WoT signed a deal with them for sponsorship, they were literally falling apart as an istitution and their stock due to severe underfunding. It's still pretty bad museum and it will take few years at this pace to reach any half-decent shape.
I've been there twice and I know how much have improved since WoT became their sponsor and I still don't recommend.

Yeah, but I've not been there.

Well, how about 'the army, based nearby, brought a few vehicles down for the show'?

If you want, I can link you to my imgur albums of tank museum visits.
And also aircraft museum visits.

the Scorpion and its variants are my favourite 'cheeky little shit' tanks

Thousands of times this. If you are planning to use tanks in WW2-esque setting, it's fine. Anything else will either make the tank bigger problem than bonus or make the party so amazingly OP it will defeat the purpose of playing.

>'the army, based nearby, brought a few vehicles down for the show'
Which was my original point

>Perfect PC vehicle
>Not Wiesel AWC
>Not two Wiesels for better power projection
And I know they are pretty useless against just about anything that isn't infantry, but we are talking about gameplay terms here. And they fit all the elements you want from them.

The biggest joke about those is how they can be used as tractors for heavy guns, basically carrying with themselves a "real" artillery piece, while being puny recon vehicles

That looks like the most inefficient delivery system EVER.
200% American ingenuity

They can apparently go stupid fast with the original engine. From what I was told at the tank museum, someone once bribed a Jaguar mechanic (since it had the I6 from the E-type in it) to modify a Scorpion's engine by removing the governor and fiddling with the carb. They got 70MPH out of it.

>They got 70MPH out of it.
That's what in non-retarded? Around 120 km/h?

>Advanced futuristic delivery system
>Delivers a single archaic APC

it's in the guinness world records for fastest tank

>A production standard S 2000 Scorpion Peacekeeper tank (complete with appliqué hull armour, ballistic skirts, K10000 replaceable rubber pad track and powered by an RS 2133 high-speed diesel engine) developed by Repaircraft PLC (UK), achieved a speed of 82.23 kph (51.10 mph) at the QinetiQ vehicle test track, Chertsey, UK, on 26 March 2002.

>The speed is an average of two consecutive runs in opposite directions. It was officially measured by Malvern Motor Sports Timing Services (internationally qualified timekeepers) using two light beams.

imgur.com/a/kTd8l
imgur.com/a/l9Q7e
imgur.com/a/pkzg5
imgur.com/a/DVF81
imgur.com/a/7y8vp
imgur.com/a/Ug78a
imgur.com/a/8B25c
Yes, there's holiday snaps mixed in. I like to travel and visit museums and stuff.

Something like that, yeah. Ludicrous speed for a goddamn tracked vehicle in the 70s, with metal tracks.
Even if it's so light a team of men can pull it. The tank museum now races tank-pulling teams.

I know it's ludicrous, I'm just thinking in metric, so I had to be sure if it could run faster than my first car

That was 'production standard', and not 'we bribed this guy to fiddle with the engine and don't care if that breaks it', though.
Although this is just what I was told that someone else had been told, so it was no doubt exaggerated somewhere along the line. And my memory's kinda bad on precise details.

It's faster than my motorbike, that's for sure.

yeah, i don't doubt that a tweaked one with the safeties removed can go even faster.

also pretty neat that they were small/light enough to be used in the Falklands war

They're ideally suited for swamps and bogs. Super low ground pressure; lots of stories of someone hopping out for a quick cigarette and a piss, and sinking into the bog the tank was happily sat on top of.

Like pic related.

Why the padlock?

>good for swamps

Explain the issues with tanks getting stuck in small bodies of mud then.

Door lock, presumably. Stops it opening and rattling against the cage armour?

The Scorpion and it's kin are light tanks. Emphasis on 'light'; they weigh four tons for speed and portability.

Pic related is 60 tons of armour and gun, and will sink the fuck into mud.