Age of Gunpowder

Post pictures of cannons and musket infantry. Discuss why cuirassiers are best cavalry, and hell, while we're at it let's get some period clothes and pictures of royalty. Protestants and Prussians need not apply

Age of Gunpowder TTRPGs would be incredibly boring though, unless you somehow find a way to give everyone magic or superpowers without trivializing gunpowder weapons.

I think with the right attitude and a healthy amount of imagination, you can make anything fun. But now that you mention it, few settings have suffered from adding magic and superpowers

Can't forget ships. Nothing like a cannon ball to send a wooden plank through your sternum
>Pressganged

Give me a narrower period. I prefer the 18thC in general, myself.

It can, if you play on the micro rather than the macro level.

*Inner city underworld drama.

*Fairytale horror ala bros Grimm/sleepy hollow etc.

*Courtly intrigue and sociopolitical maneuvering

*Adventure and discovery in unclaimed new lands or on the high seas..

I too am a fan of the 18th century. Please, dump your favorites from the period

I work as an 18thC historic interpreter for a living.

I have thread upon thread of "favorites".

Pictures or art?

Katana shmatana!

Thanks for the guns, Europe, we'll put them to good use!

>historic interpreter
What does that even mean?

Personally I'm a fan of digital illustrations like and You know, something you might find in a monster manual. But by art do you mean period paintings?

I am a military science historian who works at a living museum, demonstrating and teaching the public, as well as performing experimental archeological research. Among other things

Its a fancy way of saying I get paid to march in 114 degree heat, and teach people musket and bayonet drills, in between possibly blowing myself up for the sake of research documentation. I also teach fencing, and sometimes get whored out for film productions that need people for cannon/musket fire, and battle scenes. Pic related

I have both fantasy art and historic art, as well as period illustrations.

Fantasy 18th century pictures would be very interesting

I see, sounds pretty interesting.

Oh boy, here we go again.

>Highland regiment and Cherokee
First of all, those don't look like Cherokee. Second, when the fuck were the blackwatch ever far enough West to interact with Cherokee

The term to search is "Flintlock fantasy".

Suggestion: Go watch the miniseries "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel" on Netflix ASAP. Gentleman wizards making fae pacts during the Napoleonic wars. Starts off slow, but gets darker and darker, as they sell their sanity and dabble in violent magic and necromancy.

...You do know there were Cherokee as far east as Virginia and Maryland, before we forced them west, yeah?

Is gaslamp fantasy no longer the term?

I have never heard the term, but Gaslamps are later technology. Victorian.

I take it that we're talking more Baroque. Tricorns and flintlocks, early colonialism etc into the early Napoleonic.

Gaslamp fantasy is victorianish industrial revolution.

It was gangraped by "steampunk" and never heard from again.

sweden losing the great northern war is the best part of the gunpowder age

Is this an european thing only?

18th century nobility, you say?

Napoleon should have won.

You Jainist sympathizer

Another casualty....

..Wut?

Yes. Sadly, what you have their is 36thC nobles, dressed in 19thC Formal wear.

>Jainist

What the fuck did you call me? I'll wear your face like a moron party mask.

I know they're from the future, I just wanted to derail this thread into LOGH

You're not foppish enough to derail this thread

You Huan Lo Pan dick jiggler.

Fop thread? Fop thread.

I would hang a million treasonous French peasants be able to wear stuff like this without it being seen as a costume.

We'll then you shouldn't have bankrupted the treasury getting into shit flinging contests with an island of protestant apes

>When the battle starts at 18:00 but it's already 18:02

I am so depressed this guy took down all his art

It was costume even then you think niggas rolled around their chateaus in that shit? That was for functions

Black Sails

This one time at waterloo, a bunch of brits were hiding in a farm and the French wanted to get in to check the pantry. So they did and when a bunch had gone through the gate the brits shut it, traping the French inside. Then a really morbid game of hide and seek ensued, and the innocent french were cut down to a man

Running a game set right now in a fantasy version of early America and the frontier. I don't know why it's not used more.

> Actually large army hamstringed by bureaucrats in shiny capital
> Largest actually seen force are bands of militia
> Vast territory full of myth and legends with little facts
> Angry natives who see colonists as less than them but love guns
> Angry colonists who see natives as less than them but love guns
> PIRATES
The list goes on

>I would hang a million treasonous French peasants be able to wear stuff like this without it being seen as a costume.

Start hanging around with baroque society clubs. Get drunk on Madeira and dance with a cute girl, play lawn games and fence to woo the ladies.

We're having an 18thC inspired thread in /cgl/. Some gulls are planning to visit me and we're going to have a tea party/luncheon. Where you live?

I was having a dick of a time finding even that ant post.

> you think niggas rolled around their chateaus in that shit?

Do you even macaroni, bro? You basically have three "Power levels" of male fashionista in the 18thC.

The first is level "dandy". A Dandy avoids laborious or strenuous activity that isn't of an amusing nature (such as yard games). The primp and preen constantly, and dress formally and fashionably at all times. If they were to go on a party hunt, they would be wearing a designer made hunting outfit and designer boots.

Next is the "fop". Fops tend to the somewhat prissy and stereotypical "noble" behaviour, and dress in a more feminine and gaudy manner. The fop is the one who's wearing his wig and embroidered coat to the hunting party.

Finally, we have the "macaroni", which refers to the avant-garde, over-the-top Italian styles that border on the ridiculous. The macaroni is the one wearing a two-foot tall powdered wig, silk stockings, a rhinestone studded coat, five pounds of makeup and high heeled shoes to the hunting party.

Pic is macaroni fashion from 1760s. You'd be swarmed by women throwing their bloomers at you.

I enjoyed that series a lot more than I thought I would.

Which system? My group is getting ready to try Colonial Gothic, which is specifically set in revwar America.

Forgot my trip

>cuirassiers are the best cavalry

That's a funky way to spell Hussars, OP

>We'll then you shouldn't have bankrupted the treasury getting into shit flinging contests with an island of protestant apes

kurwa

looks like the threads slowing down
better drops some hot memes

It's not *perfect* for it, but I'm using DnD 5e. It's part of a series of campaigns basically telling vignettes from the world's history, and the gun rules are pretty much fine with them just being another ranged weapon (FLINTLOCKS DON'T JUST EXPLODE 5% OF THE TIME), though I feel Napoleon is basically the end of DnD's timeline, since after that guns got accurate enough that melee isn't viable anymore when every six seconds you will get hit.

I know we see lots of historical pics of soldiers in fancy dress uniforms, but was there an equivalent to "tacticool" back in the 17th/18th centuries?

So what sort of themes are prevalent in these Flintlock Fantasies?

Mundane Science slowly catching up with Magic? Changing times and Revolutions?

Being fabulous was the ideal at the time.

I guess rifle skirmishers were the closest to tacticool you could get.

If "James Bond in the Napoleanic Wars" sounds like a cool premise you should check out the Sharpe's Rifles series.

Also, if you want to get really tacticool, you could always outfit your elites, or skirmishers with air rifles, or early breech-loaders which are way too expensive to outfit an entire army depending on the tech level.

I suggest reading the Powder Mage Trilogy by Brian McClellan
Great story, lots of Flintlock Fantasy, and likable characters

Pic related.

>D20
Ehhhh..

Those are not dress uniforms. Those are standard field uniform. Bright, orderly uniforms and a professional presentation is just as important as bravery and fighting ability.

Think of them more like heraldry.

Already have. It wasn't bad.r

And the Polish lancers were better than all of them. Kurwa, motherfucker.

Pic is my uniform coat. I suppose you could make an argument for skirmisher militia in hunting shirts, buckskins etc.... But the myth about American guerilla woodmen sniping behind rocks and trees is a bullshit.

Hmmm.... History would argue in the end....

>equipping your elite soldiers with pepperbox pistols, limited production repeating rifles, and grenades

How much would it cost to equip a soldier with that stuff?

Austria in the Napoleonic wars tried to do tacticool, more modern-style fighting because they couldn't beat the small Frenchman in field battles. It didn't work, partially because their army was still badly run, and partially because technology just wasn't good enough yet to support that kind of thing.

Jesus, in this pic mah boy Frederick looks like fuckin MATTIS.

>pepperbox pistols
If they are in range to use pistols, they are better off drawing swords or using bayonets. A waste of money.

>limited production repeating rifles
Are for long range support of your regulars. Single shot rifles are ungodly expensive, delicate and only shoot at a fraction of the speed of muskets (which are quicker to load, and fairly accurate themselves)

Giving EVERYONE, much less people who are likely to get into close combat repeaters is crazy.

>grenades
Are for your biggest, meanist assault troops. They are over 6 feet tall, and sometimes don't even bother loading their muskets. Grenadiers only want to rush into close combat, charging with sword and bayonet shortly after bombing your ass.

Why would you give anyone other than heavy assault troops grenades?

I think it would be a better investment to retrofit your old flintlocks, or replace them so your average soldier used percussion caps, and Minie Balls.

I thought everything we've been talking is all flintlock tech?

So how about Wheel lock weapons?

What about them? Centuries out of date, expensive to produce and maintain, over complicated and delicate as fuck.

There was a reason matchlock was more common for longer. Wheel locks are really only useful for pistols and funky shit.

No Idea where I got this picture from but I guess it's relevant.

Whoops, didn't notice the revolver bits. Let me atone with some landsknechten.

No idea where this guy is from. I wanna say Spain?

Are there any treaties banning the use of Hot air balloons to drop bombs in the setting?

I struggle to think of an uglier style of helmet.

This image is pure distilled bait

>Prussians need not apply
Rude

(I know she's a lot later, as in she died in like 1980, but the style of dress isn't, so it still counts, right?)

>innocent french
There's no such thing

I'm sadly lacking in early gunpowder era art, so have the Royal Horse Artillery

Another person who's played AoE III?