Realistic Character Art Thread

I would like pictures of "realistic" looking characters. They don't even have to be human or not magical, just attired in real-looking armor or clothes. I'm very sick of spiky, bulky armor, unwieldly swords and axes, or generally cartoonish design.

I'll post what I have

Other urls found in this thread:

middenmurk.blogspot.ca/2015/09/body-armour.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I really like the character designs from The Banner Saga.

Yeah that,s better than the usual murderhobo designs

It hard to find realistic dragonborn using their breath weapon

There's something to be said for simplicity

How realistic? Some of this looks full historical, but things like
Aren't too far off from, say, the LotR movies. Realistic, but a bit flashier than most stuff you saw IRL historically.

The Lord of the Rings movies are actually the perfect balance for me. Tasteful enough to look like real armor, but elaborate enough to show it takes place in a fantasy setting. There's subtlety, something other designs sorely lack

The historical ones are interesting to show what your standard town guard, footsoldier, or mercenary will look like. Not everyone can afford full plate and a flaming greatsword.

Fuck your shield, I have the WMD of the Bronze Age: a boulder

Yes, it's motherfucking Mel Gibson.

after I read a shit ton of Germanic Sagas, that game really became something special for me.

Flashier than real life, are you fucking kidding me?

My current character atm

Got any recommended editions and texts?

FemParsifal?

>What is renaissance Italy
They're armors are fancy
(Because unlike Germany a master could have as many armorer apprentices as he wanted leading to these sets)

I fight in armor irl, and in a few months a were getting our images made into tabletop figurines, pretty hype to be able to use myself as a character

Grettir's saga and Njal's saga are probably my two favorites. As it goes with all them, it first tells the story of the titular characters' bloodline, and in each case its full of people pulling anime stunts and moments of either weakness that bites their decedents in the ass, or courage that becomes a boon later on. Grettir and Njal are both very interesting characters, more complex than you'd realize if you read between the lines somewhat.

I'm a pleb, so I just read the penguin classics translations.

Balls, forgot these have the obnoxious watermarks. Oh well, moving on.

I CAST PALM

Hey, nothing wrong with Penguin classics for this kind of thing. I own 80+ Penguin texts from their Greek and Roman line and use them as primary reference texts all the time.

I so wish that was a halberd not a spear because it would be perfect.

There's a good bard in this one, which doesn't come out too well in the thumbnail

Got any girls?

What do you do that you need to reference those all the time?

There's a grill under all that armour, I swear.

Mostly academic nonsense and correcting people on the internet.

It's a living.

Mostly, they're just nice to own. I'm slowly accumulating them (used) in one particular edition. The original cream colour has faded all sorts of different shades, and the black spines are either beat up or immaculate.

Whoa, are spurs actually that old? I've only seen them on cowboys before

Well GoT has armor you'd probably like, then.

>boobplate

The other armors you posted were fine, but goddamn have I always hated the kingsguard armor. Its fucking atrocious

>scale, plate, or leather armor?
>why not all three??

Wow, I had no idea Keanu Reeves was in that game.

Question for you all:

When did this style of chest plate come into being in anime? I swear it's only a fairly recent thing.
I don't think it has any historical basis in eastern or western armour, doesn't even match up with that short-lived < shaped breastplate for the early-mid 1400s but that's about the closest I've got. The best guess I've got given it is usually depicted as strapped on over something else is the origin is some modern sports fencing equipment.

Tends to be seen in the more supposedly 'realistic' style of stuff (or at least where the character is supposed to be visibly armoured in a way that actually covers the chest), though can get very exaggerated in how much it protrudes out front of the wearer. Or just how little it covers.

Wait leather armor was actually a thing

middenmurk.blogspot.ca/2015/09/body-armour.html

Yes.

Everyone, please read this blog post. You'll learn a ton, and it will clear up a lot of misconceptions about the use of armor.

At certain times, in certain places, in certain forms. Just not the forms usually depicted or if depicted in accurate manner, usually out-of-timeframe or relevant locality.

Image related.

hot damn that is triggering
consider your post a success fucker

Do you have a version without the tusks added on?

"No"

The non-Witcher stuff in Witcher 3 is pretty good.

OP said LOTR style armor was perfect. It doesn't have to be actual armor with historical precedent, user just didn't want over the top, unwieldy, 40k stuff. I think the GoT armor qualifies.

>boobs

- GoT takes place in a setting very similar to 14th century Britain
- We know exactly what kind of clothing and armor people wore in 14th century Britain
- Said attire was colorful, attractive, and provided excellent protection
- Dress everyone exclusively in black and brown with lots of leather, small plates, and tons of pointless rivets

>exposed groin, hips and thighs

Why

The people of SoIaF Land might have a horrible fashion sense, but that doesn't mean that what they wear isn't implausible in any way shape or form.

Presumably, that's cavalry armour where the legs weren't completely covered because when sitting the barding covers everything else.

That's officers/royal guards armor. So it's not meant to be 100% practical. It's also for guys who are usually gonna be riding horses in actual combat.

Yes, they are.

>attractive
Leave

Thank you.
I do

>Two-handed sword
>Cavalry

It's pretty much just parade gear. These guys spend 90% of the game standing around with pole arms in front of buildings or around nobles.

>2-Charles Bronson

>Whoa, are spurs actually that old? I've only seen them on cowboys before

Yeah because all the people who rode horse thousands of years before cowboys wouldn't have needed spurs. Or pointy shoes/boots to more easily fit in stirrups.

Asshole.

I mean, stirrups only arrived in Europe during the Middle Ages and were invented a couple hundred years into the ADs. So there's that.

You do realize those were usually the last areas armored throughout the entirety of history? From the Greeks to Cuirassiers. Order of importance for armor goes; head > torso > forearms/arms > shins and feet > thighs.

I suspect the idea, if there was one, is the opposite. That sword isn't a cavalry weapon, and while the crotch and inside of your thighs wouldn't need armour in the saddle, the front/outside of your hips and thighs would.

So instead we're looking at a suit of infantry half armour with extra knee protection. Not the most implausible thing, though if I were to guess the thighs are left unarmoured more because they wanted to show off the pants more than anything else.

They're called "half armors" as they usually protected the chest, head and sometimes shoulders and arms.
These are the types of armors that were mass produced in the 16 and 17th centuries for infantry.

Cavalry often wore "three-quarter armors" which also protected the thighs but not the entire legs.

These armors were designated to be "munitions armors" because they were mass produced and cheaper and lighter than full armors.