Hey Veeky Forums, /k/ here

Hey Veeky Forums, /k/ here.

Is there any TTRPG which allows me to play as a badass bearded operator and handles weapons and combat realistically, but not autistically so? I don't want a game where I have to consult 4 different tables to figure out how to shoot a man standing 3-feet above me during a light spring drizzle when there's also a butterfly moving West 20 meters to my South.

Other urls found in this thread:

onesevendesign.com/regiment/the_regiment_alpha_2_1.pdf
1d4chan.org/wiki/Dive_into_the_Sky
twitter.com/AnonBabble

GURPS and Delta Green come to mind. Except GURPS has those tables, you can just ignore them, and Delta Green has monsters and shit that isn't real and your badass bearded operator will be killed by a creature that eats badass bearded operators for breakfast, but you can ignore those.

if you like the more narrative style Delta Green definately is a go... will probably use it for a red storm rising campaign.... if you want a much more narrative game you can use this apocalypse world hack: onesevendesign.com/regiment/the_regiment_alpha_2_1.pdf
it is suited for the world wars as well as modern ops via the operator class... if you google a bit you can also find the 2.5. version which gives you more rules for modern stuff (it's for the colonial marines from aliens tho)

>narrative style
We should ask OP if he wants to play a game-y game, a simulation or a narrative game

Hey OP, do you want to play a game-y game, a simulation or a narrative game?

Or better: on a scale from 1 to gurps with all rules, how autistic are you?

Simulationist with enough game-y-ness to not get bogged down in autism.

Personally, I would gladly play GURPS with every single rule from the basic set, high-tech, and tactical shooting, but people get all squeamish when I tell them that, so I need something less autistic but still hardcore /k/.

>I would gladly play GURPS with every single rule from the basic set, high-tech, and tactical shooting, but people get all squeamish when I tell them that

Just do what I did. Memorize all of it so your group only has to memorize the basic maneuvers.

twilight 2000.

why use a generic system like gurps when T2k is tailor made for operating. trust a fellow kommando here.

Is it anygood though? All reviews i read found the mechanics to be bad...

>realistically
>not autistically

Pick one.

Unfortunately, you come to realize that any level of convenience requires gamification to such an extent that you eventually leave "realism" in the rear view. However, to most people realism is quite overrated.

So, if you feel you must have realism, be prepared for tables and ctrl-f a lot. Otherwise, you don't have to worry about it.

Is playing GURPS with all combat rules that hard when you are used to it?

>All combat rules
That's not really possible. There are mutually exclusive subsystems. You're supposed to choose the ones to use.

Or copypaste the relevant rules into their own PDF, complete with a 1-2 page "cheat sheet" and hand it out. I find people are a lot more comfortable with "here's the single 10 page document you need to worry about" rather than "We're doing chapters 4-8, 11, and 13 from book 1, except for the shooting rules which are actually from chapter 19 in book 8, except the parts that deal with TL11 or better or self-reloading grenade launchers, and the vehicle rules from book 12 except for..." style breakdowns.

Give people something that looks simple and they'll believe it's simple. Give people something that sounds complex and they'll believe it's complex. The long you wait to mention trademarks the more they'll focus on what you're actually handing them.

If you'd like, you can actually just not mention trademarks at all, literally filing off the serial numbers and just handing them a small rules document that doesn't reference the name of the original rules at all, passing it off as "just some stuff I stole out of an old book that I thought would work."

GURPS never really did get across how it was supposed to work, did it? On one hand I'm sorry 5e wasn't able to follow through on its "small, modular rulebooks" promise, but on the other hand I'm kinda not sorry that it didn't end up in the same mess.

I think the difference here is with realism and perceived realism.

You can make a game feel realistic even when it really isn't. OP probably wants a game that feels like operators operating operationally without it actually operating like an operator (meaning they want a game that has a feel but not the clunk. I think it is achievable, but difficult).

So... would anyone be interested in creating an autistic hack of MAID that ste the better subset of GURPs rules for /k/ombat for its own?

We could call it the GunSluts RPG.

Or we just steal Dive into the Sky for the same thing: 1d4chan.org/wiki/Dive_into_the_Sky

different user. it's dated. 2E less so but still. not sure you will find anything better though.

I suppose. I mean there are guides too using GURPS, but a lot of people have never even looked at the game and just make ridiculous assumptions.

Cyberpunk 2020. If you don't want the cyber, just disregard it - it will only make the game more deadly.

Clever.

>Copy paste the chunks you want to actually use into a new document, then there's no confusion.

Yep. That would work.

>play as a badass bearded operator and handles weapons and combat realistically
>don't want a game where I have to consult 4 different tables

Pick one.

>not autistically so
>/k/

You can't fool me.

Huh? There is no 5e. There's never been a plan to make a 5e. The options are just that, options, and many are mutually exclusive so you're not supposed to use them all. You're not trying to order a pizza with every topping, you're trying to order a 24 inch personal thin crust Sicilian Chicago style calzone.

GURPS does tacticool operating very well, even if you all you use is GURPS Lite. There's ONE table, for combat modifiers (size/speed/range). Use a table map rather than narrative. If you want a little more detail and one extra table, turn on the hit locations option.

No other options. Why bother? GURPS is plenty gritty realistic enough, and cinematic/high fantasy is what you don't want anyway. Default GURPS is perfect for what you are trying to do, and without psi or magic, that's 90% of the game options right there that you can ignore.

GURPS Action has some simplifying rules if you want simpler than Lite. Tactical Shooting has some cool ideas in it, and Gun Fu is just plain fun. All are cheap PDFs, and none are really critical.

You're falling into the trap of feeling like if you don't have psychic robot dragons and sorcery-wielding disembodied sapient memeplex AIs so you can use every possibility, then you aren't"really" playing GURPS. Just because GURPS can do that, and just because no other system can do that (ok, very few other systems), doesn't mean you should in your game. GURPS is a very simple system at its core, and should stay that way unless you're experienced enough and have good enough reason to change that.

Man up and play Phoenix Command

new world of darkness with armoury and armoury reloaded is what I've always used for mundane/conflict games. More narrative than hard fast rules, plus adding in some of the combat hacks can make the game more or less autistic, depending on what you want.

Sup, fellow /k/ommando?

If you want the ultimate simulationist ruleset, run Cyberpunk 2020. It was compiled by a coder at Microsoft using FBI shooting statistics.

If you want to live the /k/ dream? Twilight 2000. It's a game from the eighties about the cold war gone hot and you play the remnants of the US military in the shattered, nuked out remains of Europe.

And then, there's always pic related.

>Hard Mode:
Use the Cyberpunk 2020 system to run a game about Operators operating operationally in the shattered ruins of post WWIII Europe.

daily reminder that you cant spell /r9k/ without /k/

Hey guys!

I found the Hillary voter!

Dream Pod 9's cool.

> Skill level as a number of d6
>Fumble happens when ALL dice show 1s, meaning less often for people properly trained.
> damage dealt by a weapon is a multiplier, which means Margins of Success are what matter (which means more accurate is always better)
> characters have a light / deep / instant death treshold, and body armour add a flat amount to each, meaning it protects very well against a pistol, not so much against a rocket.

The system is generic, fuels many TTRPG (e.g. Jovian Chronicle) yet is simple enough to cover wargames like Heavy Gear.

It also promotes the fact that while a veteran is more reliable in his performance, death is one faux-pas away.

I'd suggest using Traveller (MgT) or 2300AD potentially. However the amount of tables to flick through can bog you down if you don't know what you're doing.

GU...
>but not autistically so?
Never mind.

Dark Heresy is decently crunchy. It has rules for various shooting actions as well as decent gun customization. Just take out the space fantasy elements and it should work.

The only problem is that it is class-based, so you may want to homebrew some that fit into a modern-style game.

Check out the free interlock version. It got rules for modern settings

If you want to strip a 40k rpg you should use only war... More options and helpful rules for stuff beside the battlefield

Infinity (a TTWG) has an RPG coming out that is pretty sweet.