Board Game General /bgg/

Remember when this was what you complained about instead of kickstarter? - Edition

Last thread
>Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Been so busy at work I forgot it was GAMA week, what publisher caught your eye so far this week?

Local cons should be starting up by the end of the month, any plans to attend one/more this year?

Something something, gotta have 3 questions, favorite non-standard dice in a game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H76npXYE6FE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>that feel when you can only play 1.5x/year because getting 6-7-8 players is nigh impossible because of gf,job,kids,etc.

Feels bad man.

How about what's the worst board game related present you've ever received?

My mother got me Game of Thrones monopoly for Christmas. She meant well, but man I eBay'd that sucker immediately.

>How about what's the worst board game related present you've ever received?
That's actually a good one, have to remember it next time I'm brain dead and don't have a topic starter for new thread. No one really buys me games without asking specifically what to grab, or checking an amazon list anymore, but my brother and I got a copy of pic related when we were kids because they figured we played Stratego a lot so we'd like it. Not really a great game for kids under the age of 10 who'd never played real games.

desu betrayal and the expansion
like i enjoy the game but if im gonna play a semi co-op/co-op I'll bust out ghost stories or something

I'm actually tempted to turn Scythe into a hidden orders game, with everyone choosing their turns action together, which are the played out in turn order. I think it could add a great element to a sometimes sluggish game.

Also general question for the thread, I need more quick easy games like code names. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Hanabi, Tsuro, Blokus, Zombie Dice, Mars Attacks the dice game, and Onitama are a few I like or my friends have enjoyed. Some warnings though: Onitamta is a two player game and Blokus has a two or four player version. Both versions of Blokus work well but if you get the four player version, it's horribly unbalanced if you only have three players. It forces you to have four people playing (it also supports two players)

In other news...user who was talking about Epic last thread, you convinced me to try it out. I just ordered the starter pack

>horribly unbalanced if you only have three
This is why we have Gemblo (which is 2-6 but unbalanced at 5) or Blokus Trigon (but that's not great at 2)

I had never heard of Gemblo, that's really interesting. I also completely forgot about Blokus Trigon, I've seen it once or twice but never got it. Thanks

I just want to know why there's a catapult AND a German Tiger Tank on that TI3 board...

That's why you don't play with 6+.
And because it makes the game take way longer.
And because at 6+ there are other people on the board that you'll have very little interaction with.

Are the mini-expansions worth it/needed for Millennium Blades?

>hidden orders
I dig it, though you'd need a priority system for resolving actions I bet, since predicting other people's moves wrongly could be disastrous. I wonder if you can ask Steigmaier's input on it too since he would have the data from playtesting to figure out which action should resolve before the other.

Assauslt on Doomrock.
Any opinions?

1) Adds 9 Promo Packs (3 Bronze, 4 Silver, 2 Gold) based on past Level 99 games.
2) Adds 7 Promo Packs (2 Bronze, 3 Silver, 2 Gold) and 6 core deck cards based on games from other publishers.
3) Adds 2 new characters, Pro player cards for them, 2 promo packs (Bronze and Silver [Note that all of the cards in the these promo packs are accessories]) and 12 deck boxes for the core deck.
4) Adds 4 Master level sets themed around the boss characters in Set Rotation, and 6 accessories for the core deck.
5) Adds 9 Promo Packs (3 each of Bronze, Silver, and Gold) based on future Level 99 games.

I would absolutely suggest getting Pack #3 for Rarriti and Shaffile, but the others are kinda hit or miss. The base game + Set Rotation already have more than enough Promo Packs to last a while in my opinion. The boss decks are good if you really want different Master Sets.

You should probably get 3 and 4, and then just one out of 1 2 or 5. If you like whats in the promo packs or just want a LOT of variety, then get the other two later, but that should hold you for a while.

Someone mentioned dungeon degenerates in the last thread and looking it up got me a bit excited. All in all i decided it wasnt worth a purchase for me, but im looking for something to get that itch now. Basically something beautiful, something very artst but in the same vein as dungeon degenerates. A good example would be epic wizard battle at skull mountain (or whatever the funk its called), except hopefully something a bit better gameplay wise. What comes to mind in terms of art style is something like super jail, a bit adult with a lot of detail and color and a lot generally going on within a given frame.

Suggestions?

Doesnt wonder about the pink penis straw in the middle of everything

are there any good commerce based strategy games, similar to the era of gold in rivals for catan?

Cheers
Thanks for the help.

Any suggestions for a minisized boardgame with 4x elements? Ive been thinking about either Tiny Epic Galaxies with the expansion or Small Space Empires

pocket imperium does that and its really easy to teach

PPPPFFFFTTT!!! People get dicked over in that game all the time.

you do know you could play kingdom death during the kickstarter right?

plenty of people tried it out on table top sim.

is millennium blades available in Europe?

I'm picking up Empires at Sea! I'll let you guys know how it tumbles out, first game and all that razzmatazz. It doesn't look too simple or too complex so I'm sort of worried about getting it but what the hell.

Got to try a few classics I'd never played before recently, what is the best version of Tsuro? I think it'd be a good game for me and my gf.

Red pill me on Inis, did it live up to the hype, or was it just good publicity and art that pulled people in?

I was contemplating buying the game, especially since I love Kemet.

It's a lot less aggressive than Kemet, combat is very expensive to most participants, and the drafting mechanic really does drive the game, similarly to blood Rage. But I like it a lot more than blood Rage, the win conditions and their resolution is enormously more satisfying than BR's point salad, makes the game feel much more like a tactical puzzle.

My vote is for the original. I have that one and even though it's incredibly basic I still enjoy it and it's one of the most visually appealing games I own. I've never played the second one (Tsuro of the sea or whatever it's called) but I remember quite some time ago there were people in this thread who said they didn't really care for the second one.

>tactical puzzle.
This, and tug of war, are the best two descriptors I could give to it. You might be 5/6 on a couple different win conditions, but the minute you get them to be 6/6 you lose somewhere else in the round and are right back to 5s while the other players at the table are doing the exact same thing.

>Inis
>Mare Nostrum: Empires
>Rising Sun
>Scythe

Which one to get, Veeky Forums? Which one to get...

I like area control, combat, tactical planning, maybe some politics, some randomness, different player powers would also be cool, perhaps some resource management but that's not a must... stuff like that. Which one would you recommend?

No one's played Rising Sun, but operating from the assumption that it's mostly a slightly more interesting blood rage with more politics, I'd go with Mare Nostrum, But it also has the weakest art of those if that's a problem for you.

I keep waiting for CSI to get the expansion for Mare Nostrum in stock so my 'completeness compulsion' will stop bugging me... ;) I also can't decide if I want to introduce Mare Nostrum or Archipelago to my gaming group first.

Archipelago sounds really cool. How do you like it? What's the gameplay like? Playing time says it's up to 240 minutes. Is is that big and epic? Do you feel engaged in that time or is there a lot of down time? Because if you are engaged I don't mind playing 4 hours but if not it's hell.
Is it more about exploring or resources or fighting?

My Old man's favourite movie of all time is Dr.Strangelove.So I hope to spend some quality time with my dad this weekend playing Twilight Struggle.

Also; Other games that grumpy old men can play that's not Monopoly?

Thinking about pulling the trigger on Cry Havoc, but never played it before. Is it worth $38?

Pretty good price. It's not popular around here because of the massive overhype around release but it's a decent game if you can get it cheap.

I really like it. Great if you enjoy aggressive games with asymmetric player factions. Just be wary it can seem unbalanced at first if you play your faction inefficiently.

How complex can he go? Is he into chess or does he like more theme? More than 2 players?

Splendor is a simple but deep set collecting engine builder.
Onitama is a light chesslike with nice strategic depth.
I can not understate my love for Targi. A most excellent worker placement 2p euro.
Jaipur is another light 2p set collector, very pretty and fun.
Deckbuilders are good, he may like Dominion.

Another Vote for Mare Nostrum.

Hi,
Just purchased Saboteur Duel 'cuz I'm not sure I'll be able to play the original game at all. Should be fun.

Check your eyes user. That's a pink penis pencil

I bow to your superior pink penis paraphernalia expertise.

Jaipur: great 2 player game or the greatest 2 player game?

There's a really good mod for it on Tabletop Simulator if you don't mind the Shattered Ascension fanmade variant.

Seconded.
The stamina that those guys have for multiple online games a week is incredible.

>Archipelago sounds really cool. How do you like it?

I really like it - it ticks a lot of my check boxes when it comes to longer board games including:

Exploration
Resource exploitation
Hidden Information (resources)
Variable hidden end-game goals
Negotiation / Betrayal
Player vs Player AND Player vs Game (rebelling natives cause everyone to lose - exception being a possible 'separatist' who if present that game is the only winner under those conditions.)

>What's the gameplay like? Playing time says it's up to 240 minutes.

It actually has 3 different objective sets - the easier objectives play out in more like an hour and 1/2 to 2 hours. The medium and hard objectives increase game time. So, players can choose between a longer or shorter game. (I'd recommend starting with the shorter game objectives to get the hang of game play.)

>Do you feel engaged in that time or is there a lot of down time?

It will depend on your players. If they're experienced with board games with a bit of complexity, then they will not likely have a problem with this one. The other issue with games that offer a lot of options is the player issue of 'analysis paralysis' - but that's a player issue and not a design flaw. That said, with this board game, you really *WANT* to pay attention to other player's turns. You want to figure out their hidden objectives (so you can either make more victory points for yourself off of their actions - or slow them down, like flooding the market with a particular good to lower the value of their resources that turn).

>Is it more about exploring or resources or fighting?

It is all about exploring the Archipelago to find resources and gain advantage. You keep your current resource levels and wealth hidden from other players. After that it's about building an economic engine, deal making, and deception to achieve your victory points.

There's so many good 2p out there I'm not sure it's even in my top 5.

My point was more the pricepoint user so thanks for just ignoring that

So is the Dark Souls game actually getting released or what?

The rules actually look quite fun. I like the Dancer but everyone seems to be complaining about it. What's wrong with it?

Cool. Thanks for your response. I'll look more into it. :)

2006 FFG remake of Warrior Knights or no? This is for a group that loves Twilight Imperium and other such strategy games. We typically dislike random combat though, or super easy to solve games.

Thanks a lot. Can you tell me more about the unbalanced issues? I only play board games with my gf so I wanna make that first play enjoyable.

Mare Nostrum.

Man, that games creates a fun environment of interconnected mechanics and win cons

I know - I just wish the expansion would come out soon. Anyone tried the extra creature cards from Board Game Geek with M.N.?

How did you guys find your groups?
There's a game night at a pretty good LGS near me and I'm thinking about going one night.

This.
I got Jaipur after all the buzz I'd heard and after playing it a couple times I felt like maybe I had missed something, and maybe after a few more games It'd suddenly click and I'd be flabbergasted at its greatness.
A couple plays after that, I realized there will be no such epiphany and I won't be losing any sleep over it, because the game is OK. Mind not blown.

Oh don't get me wrong I do think it's a wonderful game, but there's a serious glut of good 2p games. TS could be the greatest 2p ever (and mechanics + theme it prolly is) but it just doesn't do it for me like say LotR: The Confrontation.

Cry Havoc has been reviewed into the ground. I would say the best one is this:

youtube.com/watch?v=H76npXYE6FE

Accurately described as "choking". The number of actions in a given game is just over a dozen, which is abysmal given how the game wants to be. The oh-so-innovative combat system just isn't, since it rarely results in the kind of cleverness that was intended. Basically, you don't do a lot in this game and it's just a Kickstarter plastic pusher as usual.

>it's just a Kickstarter plastic pusher as usual
It's not a KS game.

I absolutely hate the Cold War theme of Twilight Struggle, in fact I generally tend to hate any realistic historical war themes as of the gunpowder age (and immediately fall asleep when I look at them).

That having been said, I don't want to miss out. Is TS a game that can supercede its own theme? This is coming from someone who really loves the mechanics of Tide of Iron but falls asleep every time it gets set up.

That's meant to be descriptive not proscriptive. "A KS plastic pusher" is just an expression for any overly produced toyfest with no substance.

I would so back GKR if the combat wasn't actually shit

>Is TS a game that can supercede its own theme?
Yes, but the theme informs the mechanics.

Can you describe the ways in which the gameplay would warrant getting the game even if someone were to have a copy that's just, say, plain text cards and a white map with black boxes for locations? Because that's my best case scenario for my brain, with the worst case actively sabotaging my fun.

>historical theme triggers you this much
just play a different game

Don't be such a faggot. Some people just don't jive with certain things, man. I'm making an effort to branch out.

On this note, why is it historicalfags that get the most uppity when someone finds the theme boring? In every thread, if someone says they find a historical theme boring or even implies it, someone replies with buttmad like this.

Because you're retarded and being all "this thematic game would be great if it wasn't' for the theme"

I'm not buttmad at all you spacker, I've played TS 1 time and it was "ok". Didn't blow me away, but I'd play it again.

We live in the golden age of board games at the moment, if you have to reprint a game as a connection of points connected by lines arbitrarily changing numbers based on cards that have no flavour at all maybe you should just play one of the many other great games that exist.

A huge part of twilight struggle is the idea of sudden nuclear suicide and the background of the cold war, most of the game is played at defcon 2, and playing it without any of that context is likely to leave the game hollow, no matter how good the mechanics. You would inevitably find it passable but bland, because the mechanics work without the theme but will feel completely arbitrary.

PS. hating all games with historical themes from "the gunpowder age" as a blanket statement is kinda retarded.

How long do you plan to continue this line of unproductive horse shittery? Absolutely nowhere did I say that about TS. I asked the question as to whether the game can transcend its theme with its mechanics. It's called trying something new.

>maybe you should just play one of the many other great games that exist.
I've already played a hundred great games now. I've just had this on my wishlist for 2 years now and want to get cracking at finding out whether it's a worthwhile purchase. I've already burned $100 on Tide of Iron, having been lured in by the cool as fuck gameplay.

>PS. hating all games with historical themes from "the gunpowder age" as a blanket statement is kinda retarded.
It's not exactly my fault. Call me retarded or a spaz all you want. I have no idea why that theme kills everything for me but say, 13th century knight warfare from Cry Havoc (1981) doesn't. They're both pretty drab, so this isn't an argument or based on logic. It's just a taste.

In spite of yourself, you gave me the exact information I need regarding a purchase. At $40, I'm going to wait and play it on TTS before taking the risk that I hate it in spite of supposed brilliance. I only even wanted to try it because I saw several people who have no interest in war themes love the game.

>At $40, I'm going to wait and play it on TTS before taking the risk that I hate it in spite of supposed brilliance.
It's a steam game, just pirate it.

>In spite of yourself, you gave me the exact information I need regarding a purchase.
Happy to help.

TS isn't exactly a war game, not really.

Do it. The closest LGS to me is an hour away, I'd kill for one closer

Did two rounds of TS, first for testing then a full round. I think TS is as far he can go into strategy/dept, however he did really enjoy it (mostly because of the theme) and said he would love to play more.

I'll have a look at those games you listed senpai

Lookin for some good conflict-based games. Of these, which 5 would you recommend?

>5
I don't think that number means what you think it means

Anyway my vote is for Falling Sky

Well it's between 4 and 6, right?

OKcupid, oddly. It's hard finding random lesbians in the midwest so I got a date there and turns out she was a foreverGM. 10/10 was fun to play Dominion with and had like 8 people who intermittently gamed.

Otherwise my gf and I just play 2-player games together.

Speaking of which, anyone got some amazing 2-player games to recommend? We have Patchwork, Star Realms, Aeon's End, Castles of Burgundy, Core Worlds, Dice City, Hero Realms, and Dice Masters as all our games that work well for 2P. The rest of what we own is anywhere from 4 to 8.

For some reason, I thought that was a list you were making of what you thought was overhyped garbage until I saw Kemet and knew it couldn't be.

For Kemet is god.

Seriously, get Kemet. And the expansion.

Exodus is the opposite of a conflict game. The entire game is either killing AI ships, using a tech board, or voting in the senate.

TI3 is far more conflict-based if you map it correctly with only 2 rings and have up to 4 players.

In fact, most of what you listed barring Kemet is conflict-light.

>Archipelago
>mahnigga.png
Love that game, just got the solo play expansion and might get a chance to try it out tomorrow.

>Archipelago
>Dominant Species
>Falling Sky
>Mare Nostrum
>Robinson Crusoe

Overhyped garbage?

Please, my wallet can't take this.

What is the ultimate economics game? I'm an econ major and constantly see euro games that have economic engine-building in them but I was wondering if there were any that were so either accurate or robust they could be used as a teaching aid?

For a minute there I thought you were an old tripfag posting without your name, then I saw the games you play and knew I was mistaken.

Jaipur is worth a look, Valley of the Kings is a quick deck builder that works well at 2, and Netrunner is great if you can grok it.

We hated Netrunner but I'll look into Valley of the Kings and Jaipur. I hear about Jaipur as a great 2 player game a lot.

We're definitely getting Valley of the Kings. Any other good Egyptian themed games? We have Kemet already.

I've heard some people here say they like Imhotep, but I've never played. Which Valley of the Kings are you thinking of? I own all 3 so I can answer any questions you have to the differences between them.

Oh I thought they were expansions. Well I guess my first question would be what's the difference? Followed by can they be combined?

Do you know any other bang-for-buck games like this? I go absolutely head over heels for little games with a lot of play, as evidenced by Star Realms.

I heard Container is very realistic. It's near impossible to find for a reasonable prize but it's getting a reprint sometime this year and it's not too hard to print and play.

Genoa and Chinatown are also some good examples of pure trading and negotiation.

There's prolly like 15+ in the KOSMOS 2p line that's worth looking at, top picks from it would be LotR Confrontation (but get the FFG deluxe if you can), Thunder and Lightning reprint by Z-Man, Targi, Odin's Ravens reprint, Lost Cities, Pinata (v2 of Balloon Cup). Pagoda from AEG is also nice, Memoir '44 for playing with lil green army men, 1st & Goal if you're into football, any of the GIPF series (YINSH is my favorite but the upcoming LYNGK looks really good) X-wing if you're a star wars nerd, Neuroshima Hex. Summoner Wars or Mage Wars (Academy) if that's your thing.

>Imhotep
It's good, recommended. Also Ra is very good, Khet if you want Stargate style egyptians

>near impossible to find
Check the re-launched Boards and Bits, there's a post about them on BGG's discussing retailers and I'm pretty sure I saw someone mention it.

Thanks, user.

Ra is too bidding heavy for our group. Auctions tend to be boring here. I'll check out Imhotep though.

>Auctions tend to be boring here
I get that, only one that seems to work for me no matter what is For Sale, and I think it's just the Seussical artwork of the Iello edition that does it.

They all share the same rules, all that differs is the cards in each set.

Base set is the most antagonistic, it has more "directly annoy your opponent" cards than the other two. Afterlife is the one I generally recommend people get first, it has the most synergy and combo's to discover. Last Rites introduces a new starter deck for everyone, and has the most interesting mechanics out of the 3.

You can combine any of the sets from all 3 games however you wish, there are some recommended combo's in the Last Rites rulebook which was available for free on the publishers website. One day I plan to just play a super game with all the cards, apparently it's quite fun.

Other small games that I personally like are Sushi-Go/Fairy Tale for a drafting game, Coup/Love Letter for a simple card/social game, and Welcome to the Dungeon which is a push-your-luck game.

I think I'll get Last Rights and Afterlife. Being annoyed sucks. Thanks, user

Those kind of cards exist in the other sets too, there's just not as many and their effects are less damaging. But with two sets you could probably remove all the cards you didn't like and still have plenty left over.

Glad I could help, hope your group likes it as much as mine.

Let me put it this way: we hate Dominion Dark Ages and love Dominion Seaside.