media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on Veeky Forums

Has anyone attempted a Gestalt/high-powered campaign? Tell us your results.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12466636
strawpoll.me/12476406
strawpoll.me/12483412
strawpoll.me/12492204
strawpoll.me/12498055
strawpoll.me/12511533
strawpoll.me/12527550
strawpoll.me/12519777
strawpoll.me/12523063
strawpoll.me/12532696
strawpoll.me/12536012
strawpoll.me/12540480
strawpoll.me/12544152
youtube.com/watch?v=AJoL7Nk2FT0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Barbarian: strawpoll.me/12466636
Bard: strawpoll.me/12476406
Cleric: strawpoll.me/12483412
Druid: strawpoll.me/12492204
Fighter: strawpoll.me/12498055
Monk: strawpoll.me/12511533
Mystic: strawpoll.me/12527550
Paladin: strawpoll.me/12519777
Ranger: strawpoll.me/12523063
Rogue: strawpoll.me/12532696
Sorcerer: strawpoll.me/12536012
Warlock: strawpoll.me/12540480
Wizard: strawpoll.me/12544152

This is the last opportunity to vote on these before I make a poll for the favourite archetypes.

Candidate for the favourite archetypes poll must fulfil at least one of the following criteria:
>They must have the most votes in their class poll, or be tied for the most votes.
>They must have at least 20% of votes in the poll.

This way, each class has at least one archetype to represent it and the runners-up also get a shot at being included.

Stop saying the Sharpshooter Fighter's worse then Hand Crossbow.

9d6 Hand Crossbow Attacks + 6d12 Battlemaster Dice + 90 Sharpshooter (Feat) damage + 45 Dexterity Damage. That comes to an Average Nova of 31.5 + 39 + 90 + 45 using everything you've got and one Action Surge, 205.5 Damage

8d10 Heavy Crossbow Attacks + 96 Steady Aim + 80 Sharpshooter (Feat) + 45 Dexterity Damage. That's a Nova of 44+96+80+45 using 1 of 3 Steady Aims and 1 Action Surge for, 265 Damage. If it's the first turn with you 18th level ability it's 297.5.

The Sharpshooter can do this twice and then one for half damage. Battlemaster needs a rest or gets one die back each fight.

I'll save the math but without using resources Hand Crossbow does 92.5 while chewing bonus action and Sharpshooter does 87 without using it. If you get a rapid attack it does 107.5.

At low levels Hand Crossbow's amazing but the Sharpshooter's abilities are amazing the higher level you are.

inb4, no one plays high level.

>Has anyone attempted a Gestalt/high-powered campaign?
I rand a gestalt game. Don't do it. It was fun, but it was a special one shot that featured boons, and stuff. You reach the level of gods real quick, which is fun for a game, but is too over the top for a weekly game.

Shameless beggar DM here, anyone have any of the One Page Dungeon Compendium PDFs?
In return, here's something I saved a few threads back.

So running my first homebrewed campaign and trying to keep things simple for the most part. My party of 3 players is just gonna clear out a Goblin cave that was plundering the road way. Twist is I want the Goblins to of plundered a magic item that the last Goblin ends up using to shrink the party down to fine size (I know fine doesn't exist in 5E) But now I am caught up on what that means for the stats. This is your regular Goblin so I am unsure how to buff him for his size advantage. Do I just increase STR and HP? Also unaware what to do with the part, should I just decrease their movement and STR?

I just want to make this a challenging last fight for lvl 1-2, 3 person party.

Isn't the sharpshooter getting just 40 damage from dex?

Also, it's worth noting that the sharpshooter is going to be considerably more accurate due to the archery fighting style and ignoring a large amount of cover, has greater range, and only needs one weapon while the battlemaster needs two.

So how important is strength stats for a mystic order of the immortal?

Why would a Crossbow Expert Battlemaster not have the archery fighting style? And also would pick up Sharpshooter, ignoring 3/4 cover? And only use one Hand Crossbow, because that's how it works?

Good catch. Also if we bring accuracy in it's a shit show but I guess you're more likely to get a powerful Longbow or Heavy Crossbow then two powerful Hand Crossbows.

I mean it's a game and both are viable but I feel Sharpshooter gets more piss then it deserves.

Battlemaster is more swingy with damage as well. So it could go much higher or lower.

>that image

Not a terrible movie.

As important as you make it. No achetype forces you to play in any particular way.

You can get the Disciplines that give you Animated Weapon, and Lethal Strike, and only attack using Int.

>two hand crossbows

Stop trying to do math when you don't understand the build to begin with.

why do u keep making ops so early

Fine one Hand crossbow, sorry I've never played a one handed Crossbower. Can you find any real faults or am I right?

Well, since accuracy was brought up, a battlemaster has access to Piercing Attack, meaning that a miss isn't a miss as long as they have dice.

Do you mean Precision Attack? I'll assume so. That just gives you an Accuracy boost which could be 1-12 and trades your damage.

Both a perfectly good builds and reasonable. Battlemaster has better accuracy and can use all those trick shots to disarm people and shit plus actually be useful in melee with their Dice.

Sharpshooter, as it's name suggest is the best at picking up a ranged weapon and hurting people. It does it better, but that's all it does.

If you want to be doing cool trick shots with a Hand Crossbow then go Battlemaster. If you want to hold a big weapon and sniper people go Sharpshooter.

Cool I'm just asking because my dm is letting play one since my old characters in 4th was a battlemind.

>plus actually be useful in melee with their Dice.
Just to note, they are 100% as effective from 5-120 feet once the build is online.

I would say it's the least synergistic stat, but would still be functional assuming you built your disciplines for it.

Yeah true. Sometimes an awesome magic melee weapon comes up, you need someone to guard the wizard or it's a classic prison escape. Both can shoot perfectly fine in Melee though but the sharpshooter loses all it's power if forced into those situations.

So spear and handaxe are good for my starting weapons?

If you were to give a moon druid one extra use of Wild Shape that could only be used to become a monstrosity, what monstrosities would you allow them to become?

I'd focus Dex over Str for the AC, have a Dagger as the only finesse weapon you can get, then have a d6 one handed weapon using Str to use with Animate Weapon, since it uses Int at that point.

Str isn't given a good niche. Bestial Claws uses it, but it's the weakest of the bonus damage melee attacks since it's just a bunch of d10s instead of d10s+weapon damage.

Would really depend heavily on the campaign.
That's a pretty powerful buff though, famalam.

If I were you I'd make a list of monstrosities but cause it to take up 2 uses of wildshape like turning into an elemental does.
Or perhaps just 1 use if the monstrosity isn't super powerful.

Boons and Magic items have no balance.
What level is it? How powerful is the character? How powerful is everyone else? Is there something important to know about monstrosities in this setting?

I'd say either it's CR needs to be 1 less than the druid's normal limit, or it needs to be 2 uses of wild shape.

Either have it follow the standard CR restrictions, in which case you limit it to things they've seen, or you give them a set list, regardless of CR, and you unlock more as the DM when they get stronger.

If you want help with a specific list, we'll need information about how the campaign is, the parties level, and what level of magic items the party has.

should i play a mystic as my next character?

If you really want to?

I was thinking about it, but then the more I looked at it the less interested I got.

Everyone says Animate Weapon but there's some cool stuff that you can do with the Psionic Weapon ability that makes them save against it. It'll save you a discipline, impossible to have Disadvantage and let you use any weapon. Once you have plenty of Disciplines get animate weapon though.

I keep wanting to play as a standard human no matter what character I make. Am I a retard?

If you have to ask that no, because you're just grasping at new stuff. Play some vanilla combo you haven't yet.

Depends. Honestly choose a theme and stick to it. If you're a Soul Knife take mostly weapon and defence options, if you're an Avatar take mostly emotion messing stuff and so on. Otherwise you'll be a bland character with no theme to your powers and does everything kinda well.

Not at all. But unless your DM doesn't allow variant, there's no reason not to do that.

Nah, it's the fact that it allows you more interesting roleplay then "I'm a dwarf, from dwarf-land".

Also mechanically a beast.

It's going to be a magical item, probably a Monstrous Shape that only lasts 1 minute. Yeah, I already figured the best idea would be to make a list and avoid anything too exploitable, that's kinda what I'm asking. So far I've got: Hypogriff, Ankheg, Owlbear, Girallon, Bullete. Any others I could add?

what's that one giant bird thing with antlers called? Maybe that one.

But user, +1 to all the stats that don't matter!

Party will probably find the item shortly after level 11. Campaign is Tyranny of Dragons, party has a legendary sword (from the module) and some other items I've made. I'm trying to make a list as said here: . Unlocking the higher CRs as they level, and I'm still considering if it should be one lower than the normal Wild Shape or no.

>Not playing with a DM who lets you world-build what dwarf-land culture is like and what it means to be a dwarf from dwarf-land.

Mind Slam, the Talent isn't that bad. If you're focusing on debuffing it's a cantrip that can knock prone.

It does matter, if you're using point buy, because thats 1 point lower you can drop the stats you don't use in order to raise the ones you DO use.

As if anyone uses standard human instead of Variant Human that gets a free feat anyway.

Forgot to actually type this. You mean the Peryton? I considered it until I realized it had resistance to physical attacks.

When doing your own settings how often do you have other humans/humanoids as encounters rather than just monsters? Just a thought that occured to me as I was thinking of making humans the primary enemies the PCs will fight up to and including NPCs with class levels as well as monsters and what not.

I like regular human in a few spots. You can get decent stat spreads for classes that enjoy being spread thing.

With the standard pointbuy you can get

True which makes its HP effectively doubled if you only throw physical attackers at it.

Any advice for a first time gm? Will be running lost mines of phandelver with 2 friends that are also new to this

Read the PHB back to front. You need to know the rules or know how to at least make judgment calls better than the players.

Read the adventure front to back. It's not long. Take notes of important things you might forget.

Have fun and try to react reasonably to what your players do.

Don't sweat it, just prioritize fun above all else.
Tell them that if you're unsure of a rule you'll just make a call for what you think is fair and then you guys can check the rule later when the session is over.
The fastest way to ruin fun momentum is to spend time checking a rule. Just try to rule in the player's favor if something is uncertain. You'd rather they have fun right? Their fun is your fun. If players aren't having a good time you won't either.

Depends on the area and setting, normally I'll throw in a couple bandits at low levels. However if like currently the country is fracturing a bit due to an assassination of the emperor then I'll have deserters and such at higher levels using knights, gladiators and veterans.

I think if it had a skill on it people would choose it more. Stone Sorcerers, Paladins and Monks can use it.

I employ both. In my setting humanoids make up the majority of the population, however. So encounters reflect this.

It's easier to coax players into roleplaying with another humanoid than it is to get them to try and roleplay with a monstrosity. Not that they don't try from time to time.

Alrighty, so if your looking to maintain the standard 1/3 level restriction, i would start by giving them near-animal monstrosities.

For now, Winter Wolf, Phase Spider, Ankheg, Griffon, Ice Toad, Hippogryff, Worg, Cockatrice, thats CR3 through 1/2 in descending order.

If they player keeps utilizing it, add one less animalish form per CR, at 12 add Girallon.

Makes sense. The Era for my setting is a bit more modern so you have big sprawlling cities that are surrounded by walls to keep out monsters and then more rustic towns/villages generally around them. Monsters are a thing to deal with but chiefly the thing trying to kill you will be other people but then I'm trying to have a variety of different things to fight because they'll essentially be traveling couriers/handymen/swords for hire

Okay, Moon Druid CR is lvl/3, wounded down. So your druid will be able to hit CR 4 shapes at lvl 12. Look through the cr 3 and 4 monstrosities and see what fits the balance of your campaign better.
From what I can see, the balance is definitely a little off. A CR 4 elephant hits once for ~20 dmg, while a CR 4 Girallon makes 5 attacks for ~7 each.

Honestly, I'd just say same CR, but cap the intelligence at 5 or 6 to avoid spellcasting monsters.

As monsters and monstrous humanoids are often lower intelligence I sometimes portray them as controlled in some way by more intelligent humanoids.

For example, in one game a government official payed a group of goblins to do dirty work for him. He was the "boss" at the end of the adventure, but was a complete pushover in terms of combat ability.

Understandable, the main thing I try to keep in mind is what is in the area and how close would the party be to that thing/person/monster's territory. So if they stick to mostly cities and towns then yeah probably gonna fight alot of humanoids. Might have an attack or two by a monster on a smaller town, but then they are out near the sticks which means more chance to justify monsters popping up.

This makes designing the towns/cities important because that allows for a variety of different combat scenarios.

For example, one of the cities in my settings is built over a giant waterfall and has an extensive sewer/waterworks. While there are friendly Otuyugs hired by the city to act as Garbage disposal there are plenty of various monsters and mutant horrors lurking in the sewers as well so you could wind up fighting the Crawlers (can't remember their names) or Golems designed to protect key infrastructure in the sewer.

my setting is mostly humans but currently the party is mostly fighting undead

Is Hunger of Hadar the coolest spell in the game or what?

The only reason I run it is just to hear the DM describe how the enemies react to being inside of it.

That's something I need to work on actually. Especially since the capital city in my campaign is like 25 mi in radius, lots of underground places to explore if done right.

Do they get tentacle raped?

Next time you use it have your character laugh and mutter "this is just like one of my hentais'".

Give me your Mystic builds.

Here's mine: Avatar, Mantle of Joy, and Mantle of Fear. Get Mastery of Force + Iron Durability + Bestial Form for mass AC.

By 5th level, after buffing up you can cast Incite Panic 4 times to totally fuck up any encounter ever, or pass out 207 temp HP with Soothing Presence. All while cartwheeling around with mega AC.

Iron Durability can be swapped for Mastery of Wood and Earth to summon 「THE WALL」.

What discipline should I choose for my level 3 Psychic Detective?

Order if the Awakened so.. I am thinking..
- Telephathic Contact
- Psychic Disruption
- Nomadic Mind
- Third Eyes

Where's your Psychic Inquisition?
youtube.com/watch?v=AJoL7Nk2FT0

Become a Kung Fu Doctor

Immortal with Pisonic Weapon, Psionic restoration, Corrosive metabolism, and Brute Force.

Basically play them like Tsunade from Naruto..

I'm going full on Professor X, at least for now, so i'm taking nothing TK or elemental related. Psychic Assault, Telepathic Contact, Psychic Disruption for level one.

Elika with Nomad/Awakend Disciplines. The Prince is a Nomad with Nomad/Immortal Disciplines.

Wouldn't the prince just be a thief or a champion or something? He wasn't very magical himself from what I remember.

I guess, maybe I'm just too hyped for mystic.

Actually scratch that going drow for finesse weapon proficiency, drow have a few psionics because of the underdark right?

>alchemical acid deals maximum damage to objects
>it says you can use it to target creatures or objects
>doesn't specify that the objects can't be ones that are carried or worn
Get fucked, enemy weapons, armor, and shields.

So, it would be dumb as hell, but how powerful do you think you could make a non-blade pact Hexblade warlock?

House Oblodra was one of the major powers in Menzoberanzan and relied largely on psionics. They were wiped out, but you could always be a rogue formerly from that house. One of the major players is Kimmuriel, who partners with Jarlaxle as head of Bregan D'aerthe.

So yes.

hexblades curse still kicks ass for eldritch blast unless i'm reading it wrong

I'm a little confused on how the spell Sleep works. Does my total roll need to be higher then the creature's hit points I'm trying to effect to make them sleep? And then I get to spend the rest on the next person?

You go from lowest HP to highest in the area and subtract that from the HP amount you rolled. As long as you don't reduce the HP you rolled to 0, that creature will fall asleep.

Oh cool, thanks for the explanation.

It'd work for the armor/shield proficiency and curse still works with Eldritch Blast.

If the goal is maximum Eldritch Blasting, I'd use it for a Sorlock (first level sorc, 2 levels Hexblade Warlock (Agonizing Blast and something else that's useful like Repelling Blast or Devil's Sight), then Sorc all the way.

idk honestly going straight warlock for master of hexes might be worth it

It seem weaker and redundant with Telepathic contact. Is it actually worth getting?

Hammer of Inquisition is fantastic, particularly if you have an allied caster to pair Hold Monster or another disable with.

Phantom Idea is one of the most abusable abilities in the game too, but it's more DM dependent.

From a combat point of view.
Gives you a wisdom debuff on the target.

From a rpg point of view, it allows you to do cool shit. plant a memory can be useful sometimes, Probing npc mind for info, will always be useful

I wouldn't recommend picking a class for their level 14th ability unless you're starting the campaign level 10-15 already.

Not that straight Warlock is bad, mind you, but it's a bad reason unless you know for sure the campaign will last that long and that you'll get to reap its benefits.

So a weapon focused Avatar Mystic. How'd I do it?

Bonus points for a 1d8 weapon because of my OCD with Potent Psionics.

You will probably need to step in to stop them dying in the first 30 minutes

20% isn't gonna help when there's a billion archetypes.

I'd make it about 1.5*(100/n) where n is the number of options.

Pick a race that give you weapon proficiency i guess.

High Elf +2dex +1 int is solid, 1d6 on Short Sword (can use booming blade) or 1d8 long bow if you want ranged.

Ignore the medium armor, use shield, get the discipline that gives you 14+dex ac and your ac will be solid.

If you want to be edgy and retarded at the same time, go Drow, use rapier and throw darkness where you are fighting to ignore the disadvantage.

> Gives you a wisdom debuff on the target.
Not really useful unless you have a Wizard or someone else who can use that debuff.

> plant a memory can be useful sometimes, Probing npc mind for info, will always be useful

Can't do those shit until level 5 and level 7. There is no point for him to investing in the discipline right now since Mystic can switch Discipline every time they level up.

I agree. New players are dumb and always try to go "LOL RANDUM CHAOTIC EVIL ACT JUST LIKE MY SKYRIM!"

Kinda feeling the edgy and retarded way. Another option would be Dwarf for weapons and a Strength Focus, might fuck over my armour and Intelligence a little bit though. A Duergar has some cool racials for a Psion. Might give that route a look.

To be fair Skyrim was pretty cool

The target suffers disadvantage until the end of your next turn. you can combo with incite panic or mind storm, as an example.

About lvl 5 or lvl 7. I was talking about what you could do, not how to build a character or when to get the discipline.

> Psychic Crush (7 psi). As an action, you create a 20-foot cube of psychic energy within 120 feet of you. Each creature in that area must make an Intelligence saving throw. On a failed save, a target takes 8d8 psychic damage and is stunned until the end of your next turn. On a successful save, a target takes half as much damage.

Who need monk?

:l

:D

Why is it that I think Skyrim is an awful game but also really want them to just release the next one already?

The foolish hope it'll be better? Most of us have it.