Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

What do you use to play an unarmored, divine, dedicated full caster not strictly worse than a conventional divine gish?

Avowed Playtest 1: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1: docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit
Part 3: docs.google.com/document/d/1-LAt9Ti5pcnvHY4KnFRuItCjqtGM-YJC5r_0zXiKKUk/edit
PS: Outdated, playtest should be out next week but that's not a promise.

Bloodforge Infusions updated playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit#

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1kitAB8sHgmuD3fvOMuI_KyV_dxpO2wrxQmbnCoRgglA/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=fYGARF3OoEU
docs.google.com/document/d/1NyV2ScbDMk7WHwLQt8z8MVfBQfBsiVa3pykH_tcTGMY/edit?usp=sharing
pastebin.com/mcN9n7L9
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What the fuck is a "conventional divine gish" and how is it different from a "dedicated full caster" who just happens to swing a sword every now and then.

I imagine OP basically means "Wizard but Divine"

Shaman.

It's Friday, anyone know what the status of the next SoM playtest is looking like?

Medium armor, still a gish.

That divine archetype for the spellburst savant?

It turns out that something very interesting can be done with the Creation handbook playtest for SoP, which I have left comments on:
docs.google.com/document/d/1kitAB8sHgmuD3fvOMuI_KyV_dxpO2wrxQmbnCoRgglA/edit#

This is a basic talent available at 1st-level:

>Wondrous Wardrobe
>You need not spend a spell point to create or alter non-magical clothing, non-magical fake jewelry, or other parts of a mundane disguise, and the create or alter effect is an instantaneous effect as self-evidently mundane material. You are still limited to the materials you can create. Fake jewelry created by this talent is difficult to tell apart from real jewels at a glance, requiring a DC 20+CL Perception check to notice without prolonged interaction. A full minute of study and a DC 15 Appraise check reveals their fraudulent nature, however.

>As a free action, you can designate any non-magical clothing, non-magical jewelry, or parts of a mundane disguise you have created to disappear at a specific point in time, such as the stroke of midnight.

>As a standard action, you can create or alter any mundane disguise on yourself or a willing creature, and you are treated as having used a disguise kit. Since the creation or alter is instantaneous, this is not a magical disguise. If you have the Exquisite Detail talent you receive a bonus to your Disguise check equal to ½ the usual bonus granted by the talent.

>If you have the ability to change creatures' forms (such as via the Alteration sphere or the Alternate Form racial trait) then as part of using that ability you may create or alter clothing on the affected creatures as a free action.

This lets you create a limitless amount of 30 gp courtier's outfits out of cotton and/or linen. You can then sell as many as possible, and disassemble the rest into cotton and/or linen for adventuring or mercantile purposes.

If you are feeling mischievous, you might outfit a city with these courtier's outfits, only to have all of them vanish.

What traveling child care method for the on the go adventuring parent?

So then there isn't anything. All base divine casters are proficient with medium armor. The only things that aren't are things like the Sacred Fist, which is obviously a gish.

>childcare
You know you have tits right?

Well there's more to it than keeping it fed

...why would you play unarmored? Just for fluff?

What are some ways for non-full casters to hit touch AC with most of their attacks?

Let us take this a step further. With caster level 5th for Creation (possible at 3rd-level with a sphere specialization and a 2,000 gp staff of Creation +1) and the Expanded Materials basic talent, you can create iron, steel, and copper.

You can then use Wondrous Wardrobe to create courtier's outfits with steel components (e.g. buckles, crinolines), and then promptly melt down that steel for use elsewhere.

Moving along to more dedicated investments, there is this for the incanter:

>Master of Creation (2 specialization points)
>At 1st level, you gain the Creation sphere as a bonus magic talent. (If you already possess the Creation sphere you gain the Expanded Materials talent as a bonus magic talent. If you already possess this talent, you may instead select any other Creation sphere talent as a bonus talent.)

>Starting at 3rd level, any create effect you perform costs 1 fewer spell point than normal (to a minimum of 0).

>At 5th level, you gain the Exquisite Detail talent as a bonus magic talent. If you already possess this talent, you may instead select any other Creation sphere talent as a bonus talent.

>At 8th level, you gain a +1 bonus to caster level for Creation create effects. This stacks normally with caster levels gained from other sources.

What could possibly justify staying in incanter for more than a one-level dip? Let us see.

Use a gun. Brilliant Energy weapons aren't quite the same but they ignore armor.

>Sustenance
>You may create a small amount of bland, tasteless food, enough for one person, without spending a spell point. The food is made of vegetable and plant matter, resembling what could be found in the wild, but lacks any taste and has only the minimal amount of nutritional value needed for survival. This is an instantaneous effect that cannot be dispelled and is in all other ways normal food.

>By spending a spell point you may instead create any non-poisonous vegetable dish with its appropriate taste, enough for 1 medium creature per caster level. If you have the fleshcrafting advanced talent you may create meat dishes. If you possess the exquisite detail talent you may use Profession (cook) or similar skills to create more extraordinary dishes.

>Additionally, you may create beverages, either water or grog, without spending a spell point. This produces enough liquid to fill a single cup. While water functions as normal, the grog tastes even worse than its mundane counterpart.

>By spending a spell point you may instead create more and higher quality beverages, including but not limited to milk, other alcoholic liquids, and fruit juice. These liquids provide the normal benefits and taste perfectly average. If you possess the exquisite detail talent you may use appropriate craft or profession skills to improve the quality.

Here we are. Ensure that you have a high bonus in Profession (cook) or a similar skill. Then, as a 3rd-level incanter with Master of Creation, feed the multitude with exquisite-tasting vegetarian dishes. Remember that chocolate and many sugars are vegetarian, so you could hoard for yourself all the chocolate and sugar you could ever desire, and possibly sell them as needed.

You'll need a portable cradle, swaddling clothes and prestidigitation to clean the billion diapers.

Addendum: The Practiced Creation feat can substitute for Master of Creation here.

>Practiced Creation
>Prerequisites: Creation sphere, Lengthened Creation talent.

>Benefit: You may increase the casting time of any create effect by 1 step to reduce the spell point cost by 1 (to a minimum of 0). Increasing the casting time to one minute, and for every step beyond, reduces the spell point cost by an additional point. (Ex: Increasing a standard action create effect to a full round action reduces the cost by 1 spell point. Increasing it to 1 minute reduces the cost by 2, and increasing it to 10 minutes reduces the cost by 3.)

I wonder; given both Master of Creation and Practiced Creation, are there any high-spell-point-cost works of the Creation sphere that would be rather cheesy to produce for free?

Good news, prestidigitation means you don't need disposable diapers.

Honestly i'm having a good time guys

youtube.com/watch?v=fYGARF3OoEU

Metal and sell it? Any good GM will stop you from doing so, but damn SoP. Get your shit together.

This is already possible with Wondrous Wardrobe and Expanded Materials, as I pointed out in . There is no need for Master of Creation or Practiced Creation here.

>prestidigitation
If you have a Wizard you don't even need a cradle because he can conjure an entire house for you.

Has puella user done any more reviews?

This isn't intended as a personal insult, but I think this sort of thinking is exactly why nearly nothing interesting in base Pathfinder can be used at-will, and on the rare occasions it can, its effects aren't permanent. Paizo's scared of problem-players thinking along these lines.

Not after Maice.

You know, most conventional D&D Clerics rely on buffing themselves and bashing heads with maces. Meanwhile some people would like to play more of a dedicated caster, something looking like the girl in OP's picture .

Robes are stylish.

So Creation has typical problem of "creating matter from nothing is ALWAYS broken if you try hard enough"?

For all the core Spheres of Power book's problems, it was actually reasonable in the case of "middle-of-the-pack" spheres like Creation.

The original Creation sphere could create instantaneous-duration objects ex nihilo only with an advanced talent that required caster level 10th, Create Materials. Even then, it barred off gems, precious metals, or rare metals.

The newer sphere-specific handbooks are being authored by different authors with different sensibilities, which is why they vary enormously in terms of quality and mechanical balance.

Typically an Oracle, especially with the mysteries that give you CHA instead of Dex to AC, as that tends to give you enough AC that even light armor can't contain your cha-faggotry.

As the user who was asking about NPCs, srsly, shut the fuck up. You contribute nothing except sperging out and shitflinging accusations.
My primary question is what is appropriate for use as npcs, whether or not classes like ranger, barbarian, even initiators were sensible, and baseline levels for skill to use as a rule of thumb.
What I'd be more concerned about is the level 7 party that can only find level 1-3 men at arms because MUH BESTIARY, meaning their search is functionally a waste of time.
Fuck, I'd be ok if the level 2 party found a level 5 fighter to lead them, became his sidekicks, and let him take a double share of the loot in exchange for experience ringer support. I'd do that myself, honestly, because it would be such a turn around on expectations.

Something from Nothing cannot possibly be unbroken just from what it fundmentally is. You are creating without input.

Ok wait
Intelligent weapons, okay.
What about, intelligent spells?

Well, you could make it temporary.

Like the clothes this creates. Have them vanish when taken off or on the stroke of midnight.

That's not really something from nothing anymore. It's like, I don't know, taking a loan from the void.

That's the balance level all of the original Creation Sphere was set at, up until level 10.

>it's a 2hu spergs out episode
Oh boy! It's Avowed all over again!

Yeah I know but I don't agree it being creation. You aren't creating so much as just temporarily borrowing from nothing, with your spell slot / spell point / etc. as down payment.

where

Get a pram on wheels.
Arm the pram with a gatling gun, spring loaded spears, and solid steel undercarriage.
Walk the White Way between the Rivers of Fire and Water straight to Hell in the name of vengeance.

This seems like a pretty valid thing to talk about.

That doesn't sound comfortable for the baby.

>I am most comfortable when I am impervious to most physical forms of attack
>goo

I honestly just want to bully more /pfg/ posters

Speaking of the avowed, Overcharge Modulation is still in need of revision, at least for its scaling at 5th-level.

Consider the following: generic 5th-level avowed, Charisma modifier +6, area shape with 1d6 damage per caster level, three purchases, Overcharge Modulation. That is 9d6+9 damage, for an average of 40.5 damage.

Average CR 4 hit points is 39.2.

That is a good shot of taking out a large chunk of an encounter in one turn.

Even better, since the avowed is *apparently* being balanced with Bloodforge: Infusions in mind (unless I have misunderstood Forrestfire Studios' stance on this?), you can be an entoli for +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, and -2 Constitution. The Constitution penalty will be irrelevant with Altered Life and Unnatural Vitality. Entoli have access to the amazing maenad FCB, +1/2 sonic damage to aether pulses per avowed level, which in turn activates the entoli's +1 DC to any sonic effect, since adding damage of a certain energy type to an aether pulse explicitly adds the appropriate descriptor.

In other words, that 5th-level avowed blaster up there should ideally be an entoli for an extra +1/2 avowed level damage and another +1 DC.

Is correct, user.

No self-respecting parent would put his child in a solid steel frame carriage.

You're *supposed* to keep it up with antigrav so the belly-turret has clear field of fire.

>the baby will see more death and bloodshed than a 100 warriors in their lifetimes
>they will be Destiny's Child, born to a fate of strength, sadness and chaos
>the child will kill their first man before they are 3 years old
>the child will stand beside you in battle before they grow their hairs of adulthood
>and you will have nothing but pride in them
Don't talk shit about my battle pram, you hussy.

Actually the kid'll just grow up with your way of life as their measure for normal, which means its common sense and sensibilities will be completely fucked up. Plus you'll probably name the kid something strange and JRPGish like "Regolith Flailsnail the fourth"

In fact the best example, even though they've made a village, is probably the Crimson Demon clan, where the kids grow up drinking XP potions, learning how to make grand entrances or dynamic entries, and learning a specific class instead of general education.

Basically: Dodonko Dislikes Smoke.

Oracle has a few mysteries that work up to being about as good as enchanted medium armor at higher levels.
I'm sure there's shit for clerics, but I haven't played on in Pathfinder yet.

>you will never live in a village of chuunis

Why live?

+4 or +5 are more likely charisma values at level 5.

Did they change overcharge again? last I'd checked you'd get +2 dice at level 5 not +4.

Coming out in April. They're buffing Primal Fury and Broken Blade and giving Tempest Gale and Piercing Thunder some well deserved nerfs.

How many of you with style over efficiency when making a haracter?

I keep both to a high standard.

After all, there's nothing less stylish than being bad at your job.

Hi Stormwind!

I'm so happy to see at least two other anons consider such gear.

Everyone looked at me like I was insane the last time I suggested one. But jesus fucking christ, what do you expect to do with the baby, cradle it in your sword arm? I've seen how you fucking lose it come AoO opportunities! The babby is not sword!

define

Repostingin the new thread, now that I'm awake again

Here is my attempt of making an Unchained Armorist, to replace the trash armorist we are forced to have.
>docs.google.com/document/d/1NyV2ScbDMk7WHwLQt8z8MVfBQfBsiVa3pykH_tcTGMY/edit?usp=sharing
Feel free to critique, comment, and trash to your heart's content!

Also, if you want to see any particularly cool or hype stuff in it, just tell me!

Also
Unchained Sphere Magus, coming soon to a /pfg/ near you

que no los dos?

Think you can bully people by reviewing?

>+4 or +5 are more likely charisma values at level 5.
Charisma 17 to start with, possibly from point-buy
+2 from race
+1 from level advancement
+2 from a headband
Total: Charisma 22

>Did they change overcharge again? last I'd checked you'd get +2 dice at level 5 not +4.
To quote the feat: "If your aether pulse dealt damage dice equal to your caster level (such as from a second-selection aether blast), the overcharged modulation instead adds twice as many additional dice of damage."

Frankly, Overcharge Modulation is a lost cause by this point. It encourages a boring playstyle of doing nothing but spamming damage, and it is mandatory for any avowed who is interested in dealing damage. I think it would be better for the avowed's baseline damage to be slightly improved (possibly returning to d8s?) and for Overcharge Modulation to be excised entirely.

i'm not interested enough in any campaign's apps to bother.

>Actually the kid'll just grow up with your way of life as their measure for normal, which means its common sense and sensibilities will be completely fucked up
So they will be well educated, respect their elders and those weaker, tolerate no disrespect directed towards them, and be prepared to kill and die for a cause they believe in?
Ok.
>Plus you'll probably name the kid something strange and JRPGish like "Regolith Flailsnail the fourth"
You mean Stoltenheim Reinbach the Third. Or Daigoro.
I do both. I recognize what I need to do in order to achieve a goal, and embellish where I can to make that goal exciting to get to.
I usually get that look when I bring the kid along at all.

I try to be effective, but I'm not very good at letting myself optimize as opposed to picking "style" or "flavor" choices. I mean, I could only play one or two specific mysteries of Oracle that offer cool shit with Charisma or very specific bits of badassery, or I could do a wider range and pick a slightly less effective but still pretty decent mystery because I love the concept.

I begin with style, and once the notes and details of style I want are locked in, THEN I go for efficiency.

For example first you decide
>I want to play a high-tech symbiote slayer. Basically an obliterator. And you decide the guy should be the unholy abomination of, say, a lovey-dovey elf/dwarf couple using one of those bloodforge races. And you decide "okay, let's make him fucking good looking while I'm at it".

And once you've picked out those things, THEN you optimize whatever's left.

That... That hurts! Don't call us boring!

Too sleepy to read much but the first thing I noticed is that the armory abilities were no longer "LOL YOU ARE NOW ALLOWED TO PAY WITH YOUR PLUSSES FOR THIS ABILITY OVER THERE THAT'S NOW ADDED TO THE TABLE", so that's probably a good sign.

I mean its less that i think any apps are boring but i'm just so not interested in the campaigns on any level that I don't care.

You'll never get anywhere in life that way, user!

Even bullies have to put in effort to get what they want!

Having good stats is enough
And having key feats

why

I emphasize style over efficiency. Sometimes I even choose to be suboptimal for muh flavor.

>tfw try to do this but accidentally make yourself dumb strong in one specific aspect

Headband very unlikely at level 5. 7-8 most definitely, but 5 is very early for this.

For most point-buys expect more likely a 15 or 16, then +2 from race.

You usually put up the higher ends of optimization - I do not begrudge you this, but it is important to point out that you ARE looking for what the top-shelf builds can do, and not offering some barely-thought-out (for most) average (which would imply the ceiling can go just that much higher, after all).

OW on that quoted bit, yeah. Overcharge must not give so much damage, but it also must absolutely not be a necessary pick to even be able to deal damage.

Your is the entire party, not just "you" one of the two parents.

Don't forget you might have a dickass thief becoming "favorite uncle"

Yeah, I figured its probably smarter instead of making you a shitty Weapon Enchantment Sorcerer to instead make you an Weapon Enchantment Wizard.
I mean, you're supposed to be the king of magic arms and armor! May as well make you actually able to use the stuff and be an expert at it.

Lethal joke characters are the best.

i mean i was just fucking around and the next thing i know i'm capable of exploding things on a lucky roll on a scale i didn't think was possible

What we really need (for my personal entertainment) is 2hu's Stormwind counterpart, who makes builds at their floor "becauze muh consepts"

>Headband very unlikely at level 5. 7-8 most definitely, but 5 is very early for this.
A blaster avowed is not going to use a weapon. Given that 5th-level WBL is 10,500 gp, I would be surprised if they did not have a +2 headband by 5th-level.

>For most point-buys expect more likely a 15 or 16, then +2 from race.
Even if you did settle for that, the extra damage from the purchases would go from 9 to 7. That is not an enormous difference.

>OW on that quoted bit, yeah. Overcharge must not give so much damage, but it also must absolutely not be a necessary pick to even be able to deal damage.
I personally think it should be nixed as a feat entirely.

Lads, my face is tired.

What game should I apply to with a total knockout application?

SERPENT'S SKULL CAMPAIGN

WHEN?
H
E
N
?

Celestial Tournament. It's a popularity contest, after all.

OMJ never.

After reading the Ironhorde player's guide, I wanna run this game.
And I wanna run it with the players being basically the Diamond Dogs

>trying to summon Rory.
user no stop!

everyone wants to be diamond dogs or winds of destruction these days

Tav, to be straight with you, I /LIKE/ what you guys have with the Body Pact. It's cool, and different from the Self Pact in function. You saying it's trying to capture "as much of the original as possible" is why I feel monkey's paw'ed, and your constant rushing around to point at "W-we want to avoid SAD!" only makes it taste all the more bitter. The only thing you captured from the original is its ability to be a Dark Souls QUALITY build and be (relatively) effective.

>user once again gets cucked by the shit design framework of pathfinder

Because pulp adventure is cringey as fuck.

So both my forever gms convinced me to run something so they can actually play for once. I'm looking at rise of the runelords, any anons have any tips?

believe in yourself, use the anniversary edition, jerk off into their cheerios

Anybody got the pastebin link for that stupid optimization fighter?

why

everyone?

Honestly, it has poor reviews. I think part of that is that it's a sandbox rather than a linear path, and that throws a lot of people off.

That being said......

This is the perfect /pfg/ game.

No, I don't mean that we're gonna be typefucking each other.

What I mean is that you can entirely STRIP OUT the rival factions.

And then play this as a game with MULTIPLE GROUPS OF PCs RUNNING CONCURRENTLY.

COMPETING AGAINST EACH OTHER

AND TEAMING UP IN THE END TO PUT DOWN A MADDENED SERPENT GOD

thats terrible though

Alright, so, working on a less trash Sphere Magus.

Right now I have 4 goals I'm working towards
>Make abilities less dipable
>Give incentives to reach the later levels
>Find a way to make magus arcana either worth using, or not a strictly inferior option to most sphere abilities
>Optional Goal: Find a way to incorporate multiple gameplay strategies, such as Eldritch Archery and the like

Now, I have a few ideas, including some older ones I've dabbled with in the past, that I'm willing to juggle around and play with such as either making either Sphere specific modes of play, or adding a cash-out mechanic for Arcana, and further there's also the fact that I have to contend with Mystic Assault now being a thing.

However, before I become dedicated to a single design philosophy, I'd like to poll your brains as to what YOU, the wonderful degenerates of /pfg/ want out of your Sphere Magus! I know a few of you would like a Red Mage, and that can be handled well enough, but what else would ya'll wanna see in this archetype?
Personally, I'm more partial to the Sorcerer from FFV, but that's just me

pastebin.com/mcN9n7L9

>Animal Whisperer: You've spent more of your life around animals than people, and find them easier to understand. You gain a +1 bonus to Handle Animal, and it is now a class skill. Your trait bonus increases to +5 when "pushing" a wild animal, and you can now cast charms and compulsions on animals as though they were humanoid.

>Blight-Burned: You were raised deep in the Fangwood Forest, but in your childhood the Darkblight overtook your community, and blighted Fey attacked your friends and family. Even after escaping, you bear a grisly scar from your ordeal. You gain a +2 fortitude save against poison and disease, and your scar throbs in the presence of unnatural creatures, even if they can not be seen by you

>Ironfang Survivor: Whether you served in the military or simply beset by surprise attack, you barely survived an encounter with the Ironfang Legion, Molthune's infamous Hobgoblin regiment. You gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC when fighting goblinoids, and once per day when using Intimidate, Sense Motive or Stealth against a goblinoid, you roll twice and take the better result.

everyone.