Tome of Battle

Anyone has any homebrew way to create new maneuveurs for tome of battle? Some guideline or this kind of shit.

Watch anime and copy what they do.

Just look at the fucking maneuvers at that level, then create something that sort-of matches those, you dumb fuck.

There's rules for making custom spells somewhere, Complete Arcane/Mage? Maybe? Use those rules, but applied to maneuvers.

Why everyone around here is so mean?

I dunno, man. I was just going along with the tone of the op. I'm sorry op, user.

I made a bunch of quasi-balanced maneuvers based on the moves found in Tales of games. Try looking at that for progression.

Regarding balance, if you're not confident in your ability to balance any given homebrew mechanic, then don't bother. Last thing we need is some 2nd-level bullshit about being able to drop 400d6 in response to a spell being cast on you by an opposing caster at any range.

Because fuck you, scrub!

God damn, Veeky Forums is so pussified nowadays. You might as well just go to Reddit.

Man, fuck off. Veeky Forums used to be a nice and comfy place until guys like you came along.

If you want more stuff to look at, the Path of War stuff released for Pathfinder is basically just an expansion on the core systems of the Tome of Battle and has a lot of content available you can use/adapt/steal.

here's what you do, bro
head over to gitp
there's literally 100 homebrew disciplines
read through a couple
then realize they all suck, and there's no fucking way any you make won't also be trash

Thank you, that was just what i have been looking for.

The good ones don't feel the need to attention whore themselves on GITP. It's better to make your own most of the time, anyway.

>The good ones
Post them

Watch any random episode of Bleach, take your favorite sword magic move, just claim it does 5d10 damage. Repeat throughout Aizen arc.

Pat self on back for being /a/nime fag

Grab the Path of War expansions for Pathfinder, they have more than enough extra disciples.

You forgot the angry power of friendship powerrup, they must yell for six turns and then they get super sayaweeb powers that increases damage to 10d10+10, but only aftr they are down to less than 3hp and a friend is killed nearby.

I think soulknives would do much better recrunched as a tome of battle class rather than the weird psionic kensai they are.
Most of their abilities would be better adapted to maneuvers imo.

Just gonna throw my two cents in, it's also kind of obvious, as that's what it says to do for spells in the DMG. Since they're a lot like spells - if not in power level, then in usage - it stands to reason that you'd treat the process of making new ones fairly similarly.

Was dude abrasive? Yeah. Was he wrong? No. Could he have gone about differently? Sure. Is complaining about it now, on an anonymous imageboard, when he has no reason to do anything anyone on here says, going to do anything? Pff, nope.

Also, Veeky Forums may have been comfy, but nice? It's always been infested with grognards who were more than willing to REE insanely hard about anything that they didn't like, the topic of this thread included, back before we even had a word for it. So, nice? No. Comfy, sure, but not nice.

Similar thought, but I think they'd do better as, instead of just being their own class, just being an ability of the Psychic Warrior that either require expenditure of psionic focus or power points to use, giving them a type of weapon to focus on that's not made of materials that can be permanently destroyed, or backup weapons to use their powers with if they're disarmed of physical weapons.

It wouldn't even increase the Psychic Warrior's power noticeably because all a Soulknife's abilities boil down to are, "has a weapon," and every class has that ability as a side-effect of having basically any amount of money to spend as a result of being an adventurer.

Call Weaponry and Metaphysical Weapon handle most of that, but they're generally not worth the PP. Just make them built in mechanics where you can spend the enhancement bonuses on things that aren't just raw enhancement bonuses and you're golden.

So, just toss the Soulknife's abilities in on top of the Psychic Warrior's, so you can manifest the weapons as long as you're psionically focused? Because, once you get to either +2 or +3 - I honestly can't remember which - as far as bonuses go, you get the ability to apply it to weapon abilities instead, as long as you have some prerequisite number of bonus applied.

Slight boost in power to the Psy War, basically giving him a built-in, free, combination version of Call Weaponry and Metaphysical Weapon that gets better as he levels up.

PsyWar is already a little low on the T3 totem pole and it's really not *that* unbalancing unless you could Soulbow with it somehow.

I think there's room enough for both ideas.
A power for psychic warriors to invest points in or even some sort of slotless magic item that they can invest experience and wealth into.
Meanwhile a dedicated soulknife class could do all the wacky esper fightn psionics that is hinted at but not really delivered on with the soulknife and its prestige classes or that more stealth class the lurk or whatever.

Well, remember, Soulbow only requires the ability to throw your soulknife, which you get by leveling up, but then prestige classing isn't usually figured into tier ranking.

The problem with Soulknife is that its entire class ability is, "has a weapon." More to it, it's, "has a weapon that a party with gold per level anywhere near what's recommended is going to outclass as a matter of course." It gets the ability to grant weapon abilities long after the point at which a party would have bought weapons with those abilities on them. The only difference is that it can change its weapon's abilities.

I think the best way to do the Soulknife would be to take a page from Marvel's extensive playbook and model it after Psylocke, who is, all-told, basically just a gestalt Soulknife//Psychic Warrior, based on her powers.

I like the item idea, though. But then, I like most item ideas. I even think there's precedent for something like that in a third-party book, with a listed price included. I think it was in the neighborhood of double the usual cost to be able to change your weapon's enhancements and abilities around.

Well yeah that's what I'm saying, it ultimately ends up just being a psionic kensai/oriental adventure samurai but there's hints of other abilities with the psychic strike or whatever it's called and the ability that breaks the psionic weapon into a bunch of shards for a big attack along with some of the abilities from feats and prestige classes but it's not really worth the investment and the crunch doesn't quite meet the fluff.

I'd like to see the tome of battle treatment in that it gives a variety of options for more/different damage/effects and even movement or reach in a more interesting way and you could use an equivalent of the different schools/classes to allow for different styles of soulknife from one-strike psychic assassins to psi-armor tanks to mind-arsenals who change their weapon to whatever is needed with a thought.

I just want to be able to use Tome of Battle stuff on all martials, not just a singleton with a feat or having to pick one of those three shitty classes.

It's not like Fighters or Rangers or Duskblades or Paladins wouldn't benefit from being able to use shit like this.

Check Path of war 2, it has archetypes for the base classes.

I'd like to know what, exactly, your problem is with the three base maneuver using classes.

They all feel like inferior versions of existing classes, which is a kick in the dick since martial classes are strictly inferior to magic-users in 3.5e, and Maneuvers were supposed to close the gap.

The game is significantly better if you homebrew the Discipline progressions of specific classes onto similar martial base classes (Swordsage onto Fighter, Crusader onto Paladin, ect.).

I already made a houserule for my campaign. All 'martial' classes get full initiator level, instead of half, and if they take Martial Study they can recover maneuvers the way a warblade can. Fighters can take Martial Study as a bonus feat, and Monks automatically get the number of maneuvers and stances as a swordsage half their level (Keeping full initiator level, but can only use them with monk weapons and specific disciplines).

The best way to fix the soulknife is to give them PP advancement, full BAB, and then half advancement in psiwar spells, the way a ranger or paladin get divine magic at like level 5. Metaphysical Weapon alone would make a high level soulknife pretty goddamned awesome.

>ToB
>inferior to existing martial classes
I strongly disagree. The fighter and the warblade, when compared, the fighter gets more bonus feats. That's it. While the warblade gets access to maneuvers, bonus feats, even fighter-only bonus feats.

Now, user, you'd better watch out. Those casters will start to feel real butthurt about how this sword-swinging piece of shit is actually acting in his initiative order, and doing something with it aside from helplessly batting at the monster.

Less inferior, more generalized. A Swordsage and a Warblade both make good, "Rangers," and a Warblade can make as good a, "Paladin," as a Crusader can. What you need to remember is that, when you're looking at the class progression, you're not seeing all of what it can do. The maneuvers count for a lot, and you typically get a pretty wide selection of them, drawn from several different schools, which provides a lot more versatility than baseline martials get.

At least, that's 3.5. If there's a Tome of Battle for 5e, I haven't heard and don't really play D&D anymore.

>If there's a Tome of Battle for 5e, I haven't heard and don't really play D&D anymore.
Maneuvers are a built-in mechanic of 5e and part of one of the sub-classes for the fighter. There's nowhere near as many of them, but the ones that exist are all generic and all fairly decent in usefulness.

Now see I don't like that because it's more the realm of psychic warrior and you're pretty much just rolling it into that whereas I think some of the weeaboo fightn magic silliness is especially suited to the soulknife as it exists in fluff more than realistic crunch,

>If there's a Tome of Battle for 5e, I haven't heard and don't really play D&D anymore.
They used to give all martials some form of superiority die in testing (or at least all of fighter) but they removed it in the full game and gave them only to the battlemaster for some stupid fucking reason. Apparently being able to do something other than "I attack" every turn is bad. There's plenty of homebrew to give shit to martials but I've yet to find one I like.

Weird, but at least it makes Fighters somewhat useful, I guess?

Ergh. Really?

>While the warblade gets access to maneuvers, bonus feats, even fighter-only bonus feats.
And don't forget that, if the Warblade has built himself to favor a specific weapon he can spend an hour practicing with another weapon and replace his existing specialization with the new one.

>Ergh. Really
Yes
I got some of the homebrew if you want it but you can ask /5eg/ if you really want more of the story.

No, thank you. I'm trying to not play D&D nowadays, and distancing myself from it helps. I just remember a lot from my time having to work with it to make it function properly.

Yeah, that's a good point. I could see that too...

But seriously, Soulknife really fucking needs full BAB progression.

Here's a different idea. They pick a weapon/pair of weapons at 1st level that they can, uh, soulknife, including bows, exotic weapons, etc, and this thing naturally gets bonuses as they level. Can spend bonuses to make their soul weapon act as different materials, such as Cold Iron or Adamantine, get enhancement bonuses, etc. Pretty basic stuff that they kind of already get.

Then they scoop up maneuvers and soulmelds as they level.

A soulknife running around with a keen soulscythe, bouncing on Airstep Sandals and taking things heads off with Diamond Nightmare Blade and Bloodwar Gauntlets... That would be fun.

Aren't those the spell creation rules?

>The Joke
>.
>.
>.
>Your Head
That's the point.