MTG Modern General

I was wondering, if Twin was Unbanned would it force out any of the other decks in the meta? There's a few combo decks right now, would pretty much all 9% of the meta Twin will make up come from mostly combo decks?

Are you happy with the current meta? I personally am. Modern never really had very good control decks, and of course everyone has bad matchups. You wouldn't complain about Tron if you played Burn, and you wouldn't complain about burn if you played affinity.

Death's Shadow seems to be slowing down a bit, still a good deck but hasn't dominated since that GP. Eldrazi is still good but does lose. Personally I'm pretty happy with the meta and the new decks.

Playing, brewing, sideboarding, teching, all that.

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern
>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

deckstats.net/deck-12613456-33416bd2ad96d9ddabcc8636dac0de93.html
mtgtop8.com/event?e=14620&d=287751&f=MO
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anyone grab anything nice from Modern masters?

Got a Goyf and Lili. Everyone else in the store got pretty shitty boxes.

I ended up getting 2 lilis and a cavern which was pretty delightful to crack.

Going through my math, if I hadn't pulled a Goyf too I would have barely broke even, despite paying retail price. Some of the rares I pulled are in the pennies.

A couple of friends and I split a box to draft, we got a sclading tarn, misty rainforest, goyf, cavern, goblin guide, 2 paths, 3 inquisitions (one foil), and a foil flickerwisp. Pretty nice box, if you ask me

Yeah I definitely noticed that you really needed to pull an expensive mythic to break even. The variances of the boxes were massive too, my box ended up being worth ~$350 while the guy next to me barely reached $100

Tips for my BW tokens list?

Main
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
3x Thoughtsieze
4x Lingering Souls
4x Spectral Procession
4x Intangible Virtue
4x Bitterblossom
4x Path to Exile
2x Zealous Persecution
2x Soring, Solemn Visitor
1x Liliana of the Viel
1x Elspeth Knight Errant
3x Timely Reinforcements

Side
2x Stony Silence
1x Kataki War's Wage
1x Worship
1x Duress
2x Sundering Growth
2x Burnington Forge Tender
2x Dismember
2x Ghost Quarter
2x Rest In Peace

Arid Mesa, Misty Rainforest.

foil cavern from a pack. feels good when my mate cracks a seance beside me

no fatal push?

4-0d with my meme brew pretty happy.
2-1 against burn, 2-0 against storm, 2-1 against Bant Eldrazi, 2-0 against Instant Reanimator.
The final 60 for the deck was
Land (19)
2x Breeding Pool
1x Island
4x Misty Rainforest
2x Overgrown Tomb
4x Polluted Delta
1x Swamp
3x Verdant Catacombs
2x Watery Grave
Creature (19)
4x Death's Shadow
2x Griselbrand
3x Gurmag Angler
4x Hooting Mandrills
1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
4x Street Wraith
Instant (12)
2x Abrupt Decay
2x Dismember
3x Manamorphose
4x Thought Scour
Sorcery (14)
3x Eldritch Evolution
3x Inquisition of Kozilek
3x Serum Visions
3x Thoughtseize
Still tinkering of cours but overall very happy.Playing turn 1 discard, into turn 2 mandrills, into turn 3 discard angler is fucking insanely good. It may not be as good as just straight DSJ, but I am 100% sure that being able to Eldritch turn 3 for Iona or Elesh Norn is going to be fantastic. Also I feel like I'm going to have a better matchup against regular DSJ, as if I ever resolve Eldritch Evolution I can't see them beating Griselbrand or Iona. Also having stuff not die to push/decay is real nice. Reposting from last thread. Also someone asked why I don't just play DSJ. I think it has a good matchup against DSJ. Also I like blue sideboard cards better than red, and in the end I only think we lose a couple points to the other matchups. Also we don't lose as hard to grave hate, we can still cast our guys reasonably easily with all our fetches and cantrips and have them be big, unlike goyf who once he is a 0/1 is hard to grow again.

Pulled 2 mythics, they were both red. That's all I'll say about my 200 dollar box.

My box was amazing. Four fetches, Blood Moon, Damnation, Linvala, Craterhoof, and so on and so forth. So many fucking playables.

I'm not sure where to put it, honestly. It probably will take the Dismember spots in the board but the problem is that it clearly isn't as good as Path so I'm not sure what to cut for it. I'm leaning towards cutting one copy of Timely Reinforcements and one copy of Thoughtsieze, but on the other hand this deck doesn't feel like it needs more creature removal.

Hmm well you aren't as concerned with life gain unlike BGX decks who don't run sorin, good point. But you don't mind giving opponents an early land?

I'd just be comfortable with 6 removal spells since you also only just have one lily. Timely doesn't feel like it should be mainboard too, not all the decks you will fight will be creature decks

I used to run it in the side, but I find it is a really good draw late game and surprisingly common for me to get the creatures even against creature light decks. If I play a Virtue on turn two or basically 80% of the time I'm on the play I will get both modes. As for the Path argument, I tend to get early creatures with my discard spells, but I probably will swap in some Pushes to see if its better. With the enemy fetches getting reprinted I can finally run some Marsh Flats (right now I'm just running some Khans fetches) and then I will be able to reliably get that revolt trigger.

What was the meta before Twin bannings and before Eldrazi winter? I think it was mostly Twin, Affinity, UR/b Delver, Tron and Scapeshift.
I don't think Twin would face really well against DS and Dredge tho. It would need better removal than Bolt.

Jund, Jesaki Nahiri, Burn, Bant Eldrazi

Any Tooth and nail players here? What's the fastest I could go off with that deck, it looks fun af

I opened a box of MM2017 and pulled ~$35 worth of shit (Foil Domri Rade, mythics were Bonfire, Revelation and Past in Flames, best rare was Venser and Basilisk Collar, foil rare was Boros Reckoner, 1 Krosa, 1 PtE, 1 Serum Visions in the entire box..)

I feel like shooting myself honestly, considering literally every other person whose opened a box at LEAST had ONE card in it worth over $40, and I get stuck with probably the worst combination of cards possible in such a valuable set.

>he played the lottery and he lost
I'm shocked desu

I don't play T&N but a similar arbor/sprawl deck (genesis wave)
Basically if you get the arbor/sprawl combo and drop Garruk turn 2, assuming they don't do anything about it you should be good to go turn 3.

I run Kioras as extra Garruks and she's been great off the sprawl combo, greenfags are sleeping on Fishtits

Ohhhh, dope. Thanks user. You mind posting it?

Went 4-0 with Death's Shadow tonight.

Feelsgoodman.

>tfw I never got to play pod
UNBAN POD

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/18-03-17-gEJ-deck-paste/

>drafting UB draw-go in MM3 limited

Feels so good.

jesus it kinda just mashed my whole sb in on the tappedout link

deckstats.net/deck-12613456-33416bd2ad96d9ddabcc8636dac0de93.html

>Splicer Blink
UNF

This is why I ordered two boxes. With such massive variance, you're more likely to break even with a second attempt. I'm surprised how cheap they are online. Anyone paying over 200 is being an idiot.

Nice deck user. Loving polukranos and that wurm. 9/11 would play with

He can burn it for le reddit gold

I did it! First pack of the draft.

>dem hands

>pull lily
>now need to buy 3 more lily's to do anything worthwhile
>spend an additional 170 dollars

i just want IoK.

>>now need to buy 3 more lily's to do anything worthwhile

Going to a MM3 draft this Sunday. Wish me luck.

Been playing Storm lately. Hella fun. I need to be more wary of the fact Leyline of Sanctity stops Gifts. Cost me 1 game.

Still trying to figure out a good sideboard. I'm tempted to run 4 Leylines myself just to stop a lot of the popular graveyard hate and all this hand disruption.

it's true though, 1 lily is pointless

>this is the most people talk about crystal chronicles

:(

but that game was awesome

>Playing
This Saheeli Eldritch Evolution Brew
>Brewing
figuring out what silver bullets to put in the deck. Probably going to go down the Linvala since no one plays abzan company online, and replace the deadeye harpooner with banisher priest. Still not sure about magus of the moat either

did two back to back $30 drafts

walked away with
>snapcaster mage
>bloodmoon
>3 fetches

this set is busted

What's a deck that's on the level of G/W humans? I have a friend who uses it and the deck I was brewing, Mono-Green Stompy probably just outright loses to it. I don't want a deck that's T1 and just absolutely crushes him, but I don't want a deck where I just lie down and accept death either. The obvious solution seems something in black for inquisitions and pushes.

I did actually obtain 4 of those cables and was able to borrow some GBAs to play 4 player FF:CC. It's a great game. Shame it's such a pain in the ass to play. I'm going to try and work on linking Dolphin up to VBAs and seeing if that will work; I really want to play it again.

deck fucking hated me tonight. playing RG titanshift (no breach)

>round 1 vs jeskai nahiri
>only threat I draw all game eats a cryptic, lose to snap bolts
>game 2 I keep a one lander with 4 ramp spells, scapeshift, and summoner's pact. T1 land, suspend search for tomorrow, very likely to draw a land
>dont
>dont again
>SFT gets remanded
>dont draw land, again
>lose

>round 2 vs indomitable creativity combo
>game one get swarmed by goblin tokens
>cast prime time, but make a mistake and valakut opponent in the face twice instead of killing a goblin like I should have
>he attacks with everything, bolts me for lethal
>game 2 and 3 come down to him not drawing enough lands and me drawing back to back anger of the gods until I finally kill him

>round 3 vs nahiri chord
>G1 I have no pressure and he slams T3 nahiri and I miss my 7th land drop, get emrakul'd in the face on turn 5.
>G2 I get my only decent hand of the night, scapeshift for lethal on turn 4 LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO
>G3 first hand has no lands, first mulligan has no lands, mull to five and accept inevitable loss. but I keep drawing exactly what I need while my opponent seemed to stumble on lands and didn't really play any threats, finally top deck scapeshift and win

>round 4 vs DSJ
>he plays back to back to back to back discard spells and strips my hand to just lands
>G1 he brings himself down to 5 but has lethal on me in one turn
>draw a mountain
>drop mountain and crack a fetch for two natural valakut triggers, kill him
>G2 discard spells x 1,000,000 again, holy fucking shit. he drops himself to 1 and hits me with death's shadow + battle fury for 24 damage
>G3 is a repeat of G2 but instead of one-hitting me with death's shadow he 3 hit me with a 7/8 goyf

2-2 meant I still got store credit to cover the entry fee but holy fuck, I only managed the win the games where my opponents were having a harder time than I was

Popped what was a pretty medium box, until I opened this pact.

Death Shadow Grixis

Hold Lili or sell now?

After one box and one draft and some trading, I have:

4 Catacombs, 2 Mesas, 2 Marshes, 1 lili that I bought for $40, 3 death's shadows, and a bunch of uncommon staples.

I spent too much money by buying a box, but the draft scene is EXCELLENT. Hugely powerful and fun; so much so that even standard players are drafting it.

On top of that, people are trading away all sorts of shit. I haven't made this many good trades in a long ass time.

Final verdict from me: great cards, great draft scene, don't buy a box ever.

the current meta seems fine to me

>playin
90% complete grishoalbrand, just missing emrakul, boseiju, pacts, fastlands
went 2-1-1 beating turns and saheeli cat lady, losing to grixis shadow delver, IDing with a tainted remedy deck (but winning 2-1 in the for-fun games)
Deck feels pretty good against anything that doesn't run thoughtseize or thalia, or kill turn 3.
Against saheeli i had an evil game 2 where the dude couldn't find a white source and tapped low for saheeli to dig. in his end step he tapped his last land to dispel a decoy breach (i had no creatures in hand). i then untapped and Boiled away all his lands.
in round 4 i will say that tainted remedy/ensnaring bridge made things pretty interesting

>brewing
janky UR prowess
pic related. it's like burn but with card selection. yeah all the good blue cards this deck wants are banned, but it can still goldfish a decently fast kill and fight through removal with bedlam revelers.
I've only played one match against death's shadow but it feels good by nature of the fact that you can push 8ish damage out of nowhere with cantrips, burn, and hasty creatures. I feel like UR tempo/aggro decks are underexplored rn and this is very rough draft

>tech/sideboard
Prowess: twisted image is dope with stormchaser mage. spite can kill almost anything by turn 4 or 5. bauble is kinda cool with all the fetches and thought scours
land disruption and keranos make the midrange and grindy matchups possibly favorable. resolving keranos against a fair deck is usually gg. only got to cast avaricious dragon once and it died before i could draw off it. Haven't faced a combo deck yet which is where i'd bring in thoughtseizes
Grishoal: if you aren't running geier reach sanitarium you need to get on that.

>hand disruption
doesn't storm shrug off targeted discard no sweat?
as far as sideboard options, what do you think of a madcap moon package? blood moons + madcap-emperion.

>even standard players are drafting it
Being better than standard isn't a high bar right now though

gonna play UWr Geist

am I a cool guy or am I gay?

>sell lili at $60

It will go back up to $80 MINIMUM. Hold onto it until it stabilizes at $100 again.

>doesn't storm shrug off targeted discard no sweat?
not really, that's just one fag claiming he wins every game turn 3 through 15 discard spells

>when you have four gb advances, three friends that come over once a week, a big tv, and a gamecube.

Literally on like our 5th playthrough, it's great.

It sounds like you are new to the deck and are keeping really bad hands in matchups you are unfamiliar with. Like holy shit why would you keep a one lander against a control deck? Or even against any deck? If you miss the land off the top of your deck you are a full turn behind. If you are one of those people who gets all pissy when they mull to five and "accepts the inevitable loss" you won't do well in modern. Almost every deck is somewhat greedy and mulls alot.

>no kiln fiend

Shit deck

I keep 1 land hands regularly

I also mainboard 8 mana dorks, so

Do decks that aren't fast enough to go toe-to-toe with Affinity just hope they draw their hate games 2 and 3?

If you're playing aggro, yeah.

Cards will go down then up again depending on if there comes anotha print run.

well i've had the deck for a year and one landers have worked out for me like, 65% of the time I think. there's 27 fucking lands. I still fully admit that game was my fault, I should have just mulligan'd.

The rest of the games were shit like, 3 lands 3 ramp spells and scapeshift, looks fine, oops I drew 3 more copies of scapeshift and no land and I'm stuck at 6 and my opponent just killed me welp-

and I'm not sure "pissy" is the right word for getting no land mull no land mull to 5. more "annoyed" that a deck with 27 lands can't produce a hand with land cards in it after I mash and riffle shuffled for ~5 minutes.

And I'm not a salty bitch IRL, I'm pretty cheerful. I hate those retarded faggots that sit there and loudly exaggerate their sighs and quietly scream to themselves NO FUCKING LAND ARE YOU SERIOUS WHAT THE FUCK GG GOOD FUCKING GAME OPPONENT ENJOY YUOUR 2-0 STUPID PEICE OF SHIT DECK. those whiney faggots need to neck themselves.

I'm one of those annoying retards that just laughs and smiles the whole time he's getting fucked. like I made a joke about goyf getting big in the last game vs DSJ and when I sacrificed a khalni heart expedition I said "let me help you max that goyf, put an enchantment in the yard" and people gathered around and starting cheering for a 8/9 goyf. "his power is maximum!" etc. A little positivity goes a long way for making magic a more enjoyable game

I would recommend playing the latest versions of GW Company/Rallier. It plays very similiar.

Good luck getting Noble Hierarchs though.

>implying sucking dick in the bathroom of Olive Garden wasn't the goal all along

Samefag. B/W tokens seems like a winner against G/W humans to me, can anyone confirm? Any spicy techs for this deck?

Also why the hell is bitterblossom a 25 dollar card when only T2/3 decks run it?

>putting counterspells in your deck
price memory

price memory is a meme, it's really just shops refusing to mark down their stock because people are still willing to pay that much. it doesn't matter what actual demand the card has, as long as it doesn't get reprinted people will pay $25-30 for a bitterblossom because "that's just how much it costs lol"

Pretty sure you exactly described price memory. Despite demand changing people remember the old price and keep buying and selling at that price.

Are you fucking retarded? "Lol that's just how much it costs" IS price memory

That is price memory though?

>tech
Collective/blessed as solid miser removal spells, fatal push to mix with path, gideon is good, hidden stockpile is a cute fun-of. there's probably more

>that feel when you have to play rallier to get your land back because your deck is fucking you on land drops

Solid play.

>captcha: viale tennis
You one of those dumb GW Hatebears retards?

also srams expertise might be cool.

maybe oath of gideon, but that seems bad unless you really like gideon emblems and lots o' sorin.

Also a Collective Effort deservers a spot in the 75 I think, the card has potential.

GW humans isn't a mainline deck. There's a great deal of variation involved, especially if you mean at the standard or modern powerlevel.

But, I still think you'll have a rough time.

Simply put, they can mainboard Dromoka's Command hit your enchantments game one. Additionally, if Abzan Falconer comes out, you've lost your big advantage in flying. And, I've seen some that bring Big Elspeth, because I guess they're expecting a match against Jund. But, if Big E resolves, they're pumping out tokens as fast as you. Oddly, you're more resistant than other BW tokens lists, because you're barely running boosting enchantments, so the -3 won't slaughter your board.
Also, mana dorks and Tireless Tracker and Thraben Inspector give them card draw via tokens, which isn't great, but better than your absolute lack of it.
They have cards that can shut you down hard. Plain and simple. All you've got to resist is a big pile of discard and a spell that lets them get their planeswalkers out with mana to spare.

I don't know what your local opponent runs.
If he's loading planeswalkers, throw some permanent removal in. Oblivion Ring works, but they have mainboard enchantment removal. Anguished Unmaking isn't a great spell, but it works. You've got sources of Lifelink, it's not too bad.
Also, Sorin, Lord of Innistrad has some definite advantages over Solemn Visitor.

But real talk: building a deck specifically because you've got a local opponent you want to beat is a pretty narrow approach to take.
You're not making some shitbrew that specifically goes after him, which is good, and you're looking at a solid budget archetype instead, that has a fair amount of replayability. This is also good.

BW tokens is a good deck. You're not going in a bad direction. But, it sounds like you're new at this, and there's definitely more decks to consider. Running aggro into aggro all day every day, like BW tokens into GW Humans, isn't terribly interesting. Look around for more options.

Nope.

even worse, abzan coco

Also, idk how I feel about the temple garden + gavony, especially since Westvale Abbey would be a much easier payoff land in that slot.

I never said it wasn't real tho. I said it was really just a meme. do u even memes

My post is a little disjointed. Excuse me.

I'm not sure what specific build your opponent is running. On top of that, I gather that you do not own the posted list, but were considering it. With that in mind, I would recommend a different list, because that one is not great.

Those are hopefully all the points I confused somewhat.

My friend is selling a lili he pulled for $45. Is that a good deal?

yeah pretty good since I bought a heavily played one for $65 tonight

On the subject of BW, I was doing some brewing with pic. Ideally I'm swinging T3 with a 7/7 flying after casting Edge of the Divinity, but that's not reliable, and the more I look at this the more I feel like I would be playing a shitty BW Delver.

If there's a way to boost this, or get something more out of it, or move it away from feeling like Delver, that'd be great.

Time to stop.

Do that in pauper, friend, its a solid niche deck there.

if twin came back, im pretty sure every game would be run enchantment removal or die to twin.

Don't be a stupid nigger, no one said you said price memory wasn't real. You presented price memory as the "true" alternative to price memory. You really should have just accepted that you fucked up.

>the more I look at this the more I feel like I would be playing a shitty BW Delver

You hit the nail on the head.

>move it away from feeling like Delver

Play bw tokens, put one of these in the sb

Why would you run enchantment removal when you could run creature removal? But beyond that you're right, twin would define the meta entirely

What sort of deck would you recommend to someone looking to get into modern? I've played standard for 4~ years but mostly play EDH now.

I like the look of jeskai control with nahiri , how viable is it? Something like this deck:

mtgtop8.com/event?e=14620&d=287751&f=MO

>no kick
>no brutality
>passing on 1x exile the shit I don't like

What's a deck that's on the level of G/W humans? I have a friend who uses it and the deck I was brewing, Mono-Green Stompy probably just outright loses to it.

>sideboard in prey upons
>some enchantment destruction to get rid of his anthems
>get a dismember or two
>???

Just learn to sideboard well user.

Oh, like it did when it was legal? Oh wait, but it didn't define the meta. Twin's only sin is that good players won tournaments with it.

Anyone has some decent ponza list?

I feel like building it to awaken my inner Timmy.

Okey im retarded why does deaths shadow play tarefire and not bolts?

It makes Goyf bigger.

how do i put emrakul into the grave without it fucking up my mill ??

Surgical Extract it or Extirpate

Got a Lili from the first pack of my FNM draft. Probably won't buy a box though.

What does this say?