What's the best system for horror?

What's the best system for horror?

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/12130366/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

F.A.T.A.L. I guarantee after 10 minutes you and everyone else in your group will be horrified.

None.

It's hard as fuck to get the atmosphere of the room right, player buy-in is almost impossible to get with most groups and nearly every GM is nowhere near good enough to pull it off right.

Depends what kind of horror. There's a huge number of different options out there, so I'll just list my favourites.

I'm partial to Don't Rest Your Head, which is horror through self destruction, putting players against impossible monsters and giving them all the power they need to survive, but making them ask whether victory is worth the cost. DRYH is a game for short campaigns and one shots, but I still love a system which draws players into an endless spiral of self destruction as they struggle to stay alive, stay awake and stay human, and at the end of the day they can generally only pick two out of three, if they're lucky.

Unknown Armies is another interesting one, postmodern horror which inverts the usual tropes of Lovecrafts cosmic horror. Instead of humanity being a tiny, insignificant speck in an vast and uncaring universe, UA puts humanity at the center of everything. The tagline of the game is 'You did it', and the fundamental horror of the setting lies in that intimate sense of personal responsibility. It really is all our fault, and no matter what monster or abomination might rise from the shadows, you're just cleaning up your own messes. There's nobody to blame but us.

My vote is on Dark Heresy

Dread

Seconding Dread.

Thirding Dread, I've run it many times and it was an absolute blast every time. Use the lighting in your game room to effect, too. As the Tower got more and more unstable I'd cut off a lamp/light/etc. until the party had to use just their cellphone lights to see (which fit the narrative we were going with by the way, adjust to suit your story).

My nigs. Dread is best.

Immersion, regardless of the system.

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/12130366/

Can we just dump "no way fag" memes instead?

I'm just gonna point out that there would have been nothing wrong if Leon indeed had decided to bang Ashley.

Well, it's not a good idea to bang your boss's daughter.

Is this truly the crowning moment of Plague's lifetime? The very reason for his birth?

Frustration of dealing with unplayable mess isn't exactly horrifying neither is the content which is cringy juvenile sex fantasies.

somebody tell me they have dat ultra rare TPP redux

>the hotdog

Nice touch.

i can't stop laughing

The Phantom Pain?

is this tg related?

We've got a rule in our group that whenever a player fucks up, they'll get tazed for a period of time, depending on how badly they failed/taken damage. Really adds suspense when the dice have to be rolled or when they're venturing into something unknown.

Although it's getting old and I'm looking for fresh alternatives.

Pepperspray is a great one, I also like waterboarding. Adds a ton.

I REFUSE, HERETIC

Also suprisingly good in conjunction with goofy, high fatality settings.

Had a blast with Paranoia and a Star Trek riff.

How about making them eat ghost peppers

>until I get FOXDIE
My sides

more edits

>Oxidating

that sounds painful

He's a big guy.

Huh. Looks like you already got here. Good.

Dread is unfortunately short of mechanical depth but it is straight up "You cannot fuck this up" tier horror roleplaying.

But that is the glory of it. It doesn't need much set up or fighting over the rules. Just play it as one shots instead of a campaign like a more traditional rpg.

>What's the best system for horror?

You wake up at 5 in the afternoon. Another day you'd promised yourself you'd be productive- opportunity
missed. You log into Veeky Forums to forget the swiss cheese like holes in your life:
lack of accomplishment,
lack of interpersonal relationships
personal hygiene and so on.

The threads mean a little less today then they did yesterday. You aren't as angry. Fear sets in because this is
what staves off the loneliness. You call your only friend. The guy that barely remembers you- but he's nice
and realizes he's doing you a favor by gaming with you.

He's got a new tabletop game. Something you haven't heard of before.
Your eager to try it out. New rules, New systems to get lost in. New Lore.
He opens his bag of loose mini's and rule books.
He tells you the name of the game is War-hammer 40k.

bump

user It's too late for crushing existential despair.

For Salazar.

Saddler is small-time.

>user It's too late for crushing existential despair.

Nonsense, there's always time for crushing existential despair.
I don't want to hear talk like that from you again. There's always
hope for personal realization, the recognition of self defeating
attitudes. The adoption of different healthier NON-destructive
behaviors meant to place a person on a better, brighter path to
a future filled with more plentiful positive opportunities.

But, taking it all in, in the wider sense. Yeah 40k is that bad.

Maid.

No so much the system but the people you`ll end up playing with.

the beauty of it is that you only are going to do one session with them and never see them again, though. that's not scary.

Why is Darkseid a space marine?

Forceful sodomy

Apart from the fact Leon is an awkward virgin and wouldn't know what to do with a woman if he actually got her into bed

Goddamn Wannabe 007

>fucking the president's daughter
>fucking your boss's daughter
>fucking the pile of annoyance that is Ashley

Leon is a pretty man. It's doubtful that he's hurting for trim. He's just hung up on Ada.

> I thought the topic said For Honor
> This post still make sense

what the fuck

For Honor doesn't have any sexual content, does it?

Got me, I'm dying.

This. It can get a little corny and outdated, but that's the magic of it. The werewolves campaign was one of the most memorable ones I have DM