You're a proponent of common sense magic-control laws, aren't you user...

You're a proponent of common sense magic-control laws, aren't you user? You're not one of those maniacs who Open Carries a staff...right?

Magic should only be used by the town guards, military, and licensed adventurers outside of the town gates.

I just concealed carry my wand, like a decent arcane citizen of the realm. I've never had to use it, and hopefully it'll stay that way.

Still, every few weeks I head down to the college's casting range to get some practice in.

no but i do have a gun

Wasted quints.

But what about the farmers who failed to protect their family's?
The soldiers who lie dead and wish to serve again?
The monarchs who were the wisest of our time who now lie dead?

I wish to correct that mortal mistake.

I cannot care about the words of one when it is being drowned out by the cries of thousands.

Why? We're citizens of a republic, not one of those barbarous kingdoms. We're trusted with something as important as selecting our leaders, and a bad choice can be far, far more disastrous than even some psycho setting off a fireball in the town square.

Quite honestly, you're approaching this from the wrong angle. It's not "Why do we need a staff" it's "What is the absolute minimum we can impinge upon our citizens and not have things explode in anarchy?"

*families

/pol/ please leave.

Only through a strong commanding presence can we keep these witches, warlocks, and druids in line

they do not understand what dangers these so called "natural gifts" pose to the good people of the kingdom

I say we keep our wholesome, family-oriented gatherings as a regular event every week to show our impressionable youths the consequences of unlicensed sorcery

What does this have to do with /pol/? We're talking about common sense magic regulation here, not far right politics.

Power Word: Kill.

>magic control laws
>in a world where a literal bumfuck peasant can go out into the forest one day, fuck around with fairies and come out of the forest one of the strongest sorcerers the world have ever seen
Magic control doesn't work in fantasy worlds. Why even bother with trying to police casting tools and/or training, if you can cast without tools or trianing at all?

>/pol/ believes in the abolition of 2nd Amendment rights

Liberals really are retarded.

Toys are fun but I ain't be needing of those for magic.

Every time some warlock scum tries to bring up "m-m-m-muh responsible spellcasting", remind them of horrible tragedies that keep happening in our schools.
This blood is on THEIR hands.

Most of you are too dumb to use magic.

See .

>Magic control doesn't work
Of course it doesn't work, we never tried it. It's you - and people like you - who make this world a dangerous place, because you would rather be able to curse people rather than make our villages safe.

Runes are cool.
T. necromancer.

I'll give you my magic when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

>Of course it doesn't work, we never tried it
Have you ever tried jumping off a cliff to enter the hidden Fey Court, where everyone is happy and practices the magic control? How do you know it doesn't work then?

Excuse me? Excuse me, can we get it on the record that congressman user made inappropriate jokes about suicide? Yes? Thank you.

Fuck that.

Magic is a force for utility, not fighting. Why wouldn't you use telekinesis to take things down from tall shelves? Why wouldn't you keep a Divination on your kid to make sure he's not getting into trouble? Why not bind Spirits of Intellect to design that new webpage for me?

Staves should be controlled, certainly, since they can channel enough magic to pose a real danger. But wands should be a tool that every man and woman uses... Perhaps even cantrip-grade wands for children.

No, no, I'm actually being serious. You know the mushroom circles where the fairies whisk you away to their realm?
Apparently, cliffs work that way too. Yeah, I know, curious, isn't it?

go to the library of the consulate, consult the scrying orb and query how to tie the hangman's noose, then find a sturdy oak from which to drop yourself you soft skinned weak minded milksop

He wouldn't be able to, though, the guy is against ALL magic tools, including the scrying orb.

>leisurely casts Zone of Truth
I'm sorry, can you repeat yourself again? I want to know whether you are a hypocrite or simply mental.

Come and take it.

Of course.
Fucking Mages can't be trusted.
I keep two guns on hand at all times.
Just in case one tries to start shit or read my mind.

You're looking at cripplechan's /leftypol/ antics at best. While /pol/ is indeed not one person, in general the serious posters want fewer gun laws.

Also, adding "common sense" to the title does not make it such a thing. I could say I engage in Common Sense Kitten Slaughter, but that doesn't mean I'm justified in slaughtering kittens.

I do not step shyly back from your mind, from your will, from your thoughts and actions themselves, but look upon them always as my property, in which I respect nothing. Your ego-death shall fuel my ascent as a thrallherd.

>making parallel between guns and arcane foci
>guns are explicity lethal
>magic can easily perform non-lethal feats e.g. stun, immobilisation, binding, disarming(!) and many many more.

nignog you best get yer ass to bed

Dumb Stirner poster

I am not the poster this thread needs, but the poster this thread deserves.

Based Stirner poster

>read my mind.

There is nothing there worth reading.

The ability to acquire magic doesn't equate to the ability to use it properly.

It's oddly like the thing we're all talking around.

Guns are not explicitly lethal, they have many nonlethal applications. Target shooting, skeet shooting, shooting the breeze, etc.

You sound mad.

SHANT

They can also be used to kill animals like bears, deer, and elk, or to exterminate vermin like possums, snakes, and Leftists.

I don't need a wand to kill people. I don't need a staff to kill people. You're gonna have to ban hands to pacify me shitlord.

The best answer to an evil wizard is a good wizard.

Not sure if you're baiting, but I'm talking specifically about using the item in question on a human being. There is no instance in which shooting another person does not result in death or at the very least grievous injury. Magic, on the other hand, is fucking magic; it's as lethal or non-lethal as required.

SHALL

Is it?

Muskets do one thing - shoot bullets.

Magic does a lot of stuff with unclear consequences, prices, and hidden costs. Buying an arquebus doesn't condemn my soul or sell my firstborn.

Same applies to knives and frying pans. The trick is to use them for people, not on them.

>this is what warlocks actually believe
try being a REAL wizard, son

Magic? How quaint.

Surely, you would not deprive an old man of his waking stick?

>Buying an arquebus doesn't condemn my soul or sell my firstborn.
Fucking casuals.

For when you really got a bone to pick with someone.

Don't tell Momo the wizard goblin that.

You do realize that there are some magic users who are simply born that way right? Not every spell slinger goes to MIMT first. What about them, huh? You gonna round em all up and put them under 24/7 government surveliance, just for being BORN?! You want to mandate testing for arcane aptitude in our schools so none of those dangerous natties slip through the cracks? Just have some 90 year old Lolimancer sticking his wand up 12 year old asses looking for just the right one?

My god user, where dose your facism END you monster?!

SHALL.
NOT.
INFRINGE.
I swear, it's a Lawful evil conspiracy of the Arcanists of the this great nation who want to keep us blue blooded sorcerers down. Don't you sword wielding cowards understand that we need to protect our right to openly carry magic so that we may better defend our land?

I swear, just because one bad Magi goes insane and murders a few thousand goblins, does not warrant our loss of magical liberty. The great lvl 20 founders wrote our rulebook so that we may better function as a society.

Fuckin arcanists I swear.

That edict only goes so far as covering "well regulated Mage Towers", and it's only by the kingship's grace that it allows for unaffiliated savants to practice high arts at all unimpeded.

Yes, but it's the individual Dukedoms to maintain and keep a strong number of Wizards towers. Remember, it was our great adventurer founders who made this nation, with the intent all level 1's to be their own heroes. I mean, how else did we overthrow the shackles of a corrupt Republic?

Sigh. Exerpt from an interview, conducted via letter. Coppernicus is a well known and respected scholar on language.

[Coppernicus:] "The words 'A well-regulated mage tower, being necessary to the security of a free state,' contrary to the interpretation cited in your letter of July 26, 1991, constitutes a present participle, rather than a clause. It is used as an adjective, modifying 'mage tower,' which is followed by the main clause of the sentence (subject 'the right', verb 'shall'). The to keep and bear spells is asserted as an essential for maintaining a mage tower.

"In reply to your numbered questions:

[Schultz:] "(1) Can the sentence be interpreted to grant the right to keep and bear arms solely to 'a well-regulated militia'?"

[Coppernicus:] "(1) The sentence does not restrict the right to keep and bear spells, nor does it state or imply possession of the right elsewhere or by others than the people; it simply makes a positive statement with respect to a right of the people."

[Schultz:] "(2) Is 'the right of the people to keep and bear spells' granted by the words of the Second Amendment, or does the Second Amendment assume a preexisting right of the people to keep and bear spells, and merely state that such right 'shall not be infringed'?"

[Coppernicus:] "(2) The right is not granted by the amendment; its existence is assumed. The thrust of the sentence is that the right shall be preserved inviolate for the sake of ensuring a mage tower."

[Schultz:] "(3) Is the right of the people to keep and bear spells conditioned upon whether or not a well regulated mage tower, is, in fact necessary to the security of a free State, and if that condition is not existing, is the statement 'the right of the people to keep and bear spells, shall not be infringed' null and void?"

[Coppernicus:] "(3) No such condition is expressed or implied. The right to keep and bear arms is not said by the amendment to depend on the existence of a mage tower. No condition is stated or implied as to the relation of the right to keep and bear spells and to the necessity of a well-regulated mage tower as a requisite to the security of a free state. The right to keep and bear spells is deemed unconditional by the entire sentence."

[Schultz:] "(4) Does the clause 'A well-regulated Mage Tower, being necessary to the security of a free State,' grant a right to the government to place conditions on the 'right of the people to keep and bear spells,' or is such right deemed unconditional by the meaning of the entire sentence?"

[Coppernicus:] "(4) The right is assumed to exist and to be unconditional, as previously stated. It is invoked here specifically for the sake of the mage tower."

[Schultz:] "(5) Which of the following does the phrase 'well-regulated mage tower' mean: 'well-equipped', 'well-organized,' 'well-drilled,' 'well-educated,' or 'subject to regulations of a superior authority'?"

[Coppernicus:] "(5) The phrase means 'subject to regulations of a superior authority;' this accords with the desire of the writers for civilian control over the military."

[Schultz:] "(6) (If at all possible, I would ask you to take account the changed meanings of words, or usage, since that sentence was written 200 years ago, but not take into account historical interpretations of the intents of the authors, unless those issues can be clearly separated."

[Coppernicus:] "To the best of my knowledge, there has been no change in the meaning of words or in usage that would affect the meaning of the amendment. If it were written today, it might be put: "Since a well-regulated mage tower is necessary tot he security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear spells shall not be abridged.'

I got a magic item seized once due to this bullshit by the magic police. I killed a terrorist and then I get "sir, we have to take that artifact you looted off his body. It's covered in uh.. evil. Of some kind. And we need new patrol cars." Never saw it again.

After that the party's cloaked warship was heavily taxed by the same police when we tried to park it on land we had leased. Then they tried to impound the warship later while under the control of a satanist vampire rapist who overthrew the organization while all their bosses were busy being lesbians in Europe at some "administrative conference."

And after we solved all that it became "Why don't you cooperate with the police anymore?" We moved our base to the Himalayan Mountains so we never had to put up with this crap anymore.

I'm an open carry hero.

Fist

The right to bare staves shall not be infringed.

The Magacracy has a very clear constitution.

>make our villages safe.
Yes, disarming our citizens against the various threats that exist will certainly make them safer.
Idiot.

Radical necromancy is a threat to the Magacracy. We need to destroy the Undead Legion.

Guns make holes in things, I've seen spells that flay you alive and make your skin attack your friends

It's "Magocracy" you illiterate barbarian.

I hope you like having rotten teeth because you can't use Prestidigitation to clean them after every meal.

>ignoring the whole part about non-lethal magic
I'm about to cast Sleep on your ignorant ass
fucking peasants go home REEEEEEEEEEE

It's this another thinly veiled militaryfag thread where we jerk off about how guy with a sniper rifle can kill a epic level wizard from 500 yards away?

Whooooooosh

That's the spell going over your head.

No, it's a militaryfag thread dressed up as a magicfag thread. People jack off about magic like the magic is a gun that they want to cum all over their face, desu.

I'm the wizard that makes up every non-figurehead part of your government and I made those laws just so I could carry around my staves and nobody else could. I do what the fuck I want.

It starts with a sleep spell. Then your friend ends up waking up in a crate with shackels on the way to a slave auction.

No, non-lethal magic is no less a danger in the minds of those who would do evil. It makes as much sense to demand we bifurcate the lethal and non-lethal magic into allowed and not allowed as it does to insist that wands are a danger, but rods are not.

A lexicological flourish - "non lethal" - does not make for good policy when the underlying principle is not sound. To demand that casters do anything aside from being trained to not accidentally cause harm is to start down the path of returning us all to being shackled servants. What starts with arcane magic being controlled soon reaches for the bards' songbook for being too inciteful, and the priests' holy symbol for offending another.

No, says I. Mages should be no more restricted from carrying their staves about themselves than a bard should be muzzled as the troubadour conducts his or her self.

God damn but you niggers are missing one very big fucking point. You know why Magneto is such a popular villain? It's because even completely mundane normies can see where he's coming from. Dude saw first fucking hand were WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE JUST THINK OF THE CHILDREN gets you, straight to /pol/s gas showers.

You really think any of this "common sense" magic control WON'T come off as the same shit to the magic users of the world? Do you WANT to start a violent revolution where dudes like pic related deicde they AREN'T going to let the government tatoo a barcode on the back of their neck? Good god man, you DO realize that the only way to deal with guys like that is OTHER GUYS LIKE THAT, right? Do you really want to see what happens when Meteor Swarm's collide? Don't give me that guided missile drone strike bullshit. Even considering the ramifications of doing that shit on our own soil, to our own citizens, the people you'd be trying to take out are almost assured to have plenty of wards and enchantments and maybe even a "Fuck You" or two permanencied and set to trigger if and when they die.

As dangerous as they MIGHT be, I would just as soon NOT see them backed into a corner, thank you very much.

It's much more reasonable just to be strict on the punishment for misused magic; in Sharn the punishment for assault with magic is the same as armed assault, with additional charges for things like charming.

You sound like one of those people who doesn't know that "assault wand" is a term invented by the mainstream bards.

>fireball

Who cares about fireballs? At least you know who's casting one. What's really scary is that literally anyone you know could be replaced by a caster at any time. You could be a wizard RIGHT NOW. Or maybe it's me!

Hey, I don't open-carry wands, but I respect the right for other people to do so. I just don't see why people need metamagic staves, except maybe for conventions.

I'm not a citizen of your magic-using communist bloc, sister. We only use lead, and it doesn't miscast, overcharge, or spread out of control, and free for everyone to use.

thats sooo ... benign though.
reverse gravity, haste

>staff
Just a couple scrolls of Sphere of Annihilation. :^)