Puzzle Doors

Greetings Veeky Forums!

Let’s talk about puzzle doors.
In this thread, let’s have discussion, stories, or examples of cool or interesting puzzle doors any of you might have made, played, or seen.
I am thinking of doors more interesting than the old, “Speak friend, then enter.” riddle types, but who am I to judge?

Forever ago, I got to thinking about the classic puzzle seen in Labyrinth and countless other scenarios:
The protagonist is presented with two doors and must select the correct door to proceed forward.
Often there is some sort of guardian, or two, that will give clues, truths, or lies.
I came up with my own twist for the door to my antagonist mage’s tower.
I quickly realized that it didn’t really make sense for the villain, and changed it for a more dynamic version.
So my door remained untested.
Until now.
I will now present 3 doors that I have created to you, Veeky Forums, in the hopes that you rate them.

My presentation of them might be quest-like, but this is *not* a quest for the following reasons:
1. It’s just getting through a door, that’s it.
2. I specifically want Veeky Forums’s appraisal of these doors and am not interested in questing
3. There is virtually no chance of a waifu appearing.
4. Discussion of all things door related is welcome and encouraged.
5. Because.

I pick the mystery box.

Alright, first scenario:

>You, the PCs, have followed the Villainous Mage to his tower.
>He enters the front door and closes it behind him.
>You approach the door and hear him speak a Password on the other side.
>You open the door and find a small stone room, with two doors opposite the one you entered.
>Between the two doors, there appears to be a crude animated Face made out of the stone wall.
>The Face regards you as you enter and close the door behind you.
>The Face speaks:
>”Greetings, visitors. Speak the password while touching the handle of the correct door and you may then enter unharmed.”

What do you do?

I grab both handles and speak the password, hoping there's no electric current running between them.

Who could resist the allure of the Mystery Box?

Speak the password while grabbing the handle of the door by which I entered.

I actually did not anticipate that response.
I probably should have.

I will provide the results of your action in a moment.

I guess try the door I entered through? Idk if it's because there isn't enough to go off of here or if I'm just uncreative but I have no idea where to start

I bellow out "THE PASSWOD WHILE TOUCHING THE HANDLE OF THE CORRECT DOOR"!

>Holding both door handles, you speak the Password.
>The Face says, “That is the correct password.”
>The doors do not open automatically but appear unlocked.
>Do you open the left door, the right door, or both at the same time?

>>The Face says, “That is not the correct password.”

I bellow out "THE PASSWORD WHILE TOUCHING THE HANDLE OF THE CORRECT DOOR"!

Right door. If I should fall, one of my numerous siblings shall take my place.
Mind answering
and

>>"but you think you are a clever little shit, don't you"

>Right door. If I should fall, one of my numerous siblings shall take my place.
>You open the right door and several gallons of mildly caustic acid falls into the room.
>Luckily, your extreme reflexes allow you to dodge much of the acid, but you take 1d4 damage for each splash that hits, plus another 1d4 per turn for the acid soaking into your boots.
>Mark the damage on your character sheet.

>Mind answering
I will shortly.

So I heard my brother died to acid. Terrible way to die, really. We were never known for our constitution.
What's behind the left door?

>You open the left door and dozens of Electric Caltrops fall into the room.
>Luckily, your extreme reflexes allow you to dodge many of them, but you take 1d4 damage for each one that hits.
>...

>The many Electric Caltrops that did not discharge into you when you opened the left door now mingle with the flood of acid from the right door.
>As the acid has penetrated your boots and the electric charge is conducted through the liquid, the electric damage of several dozen 1d4 strikes your character.

>I grab both handles and speak the password, hoping there's no electric current running between them.
Awfully prescient of you.

Good evening, you all. I apologize for the mess my brothers made in here.

>Speak the password while grabbing the handle of the door by which I entered.
>I guess try the door I entered through?

>Having cleverly selected the correct door handle, the Face opens its mouth wider and wider until it is as large as a doorway.
>You have found the solution to the door and may enter unharmed.

So, my "clever" puzzle door lasted 4 minutes on Veeky Forums.
Oh boy.

am I the only one that thought of touching the face and speaking the word? either the mouth or eye piece. spot check to search and if nothing, then the mouth.

No worries, they were good sports.
Care to try the rear entrance?

Today in a game the DM used something he got from Dragon Quest where a door wouldn't open normally because you were actually supposed to open it upwards instead of out/in.

Why not? I speak the password as I do.

Clever, and correct about the entrance, but the handle of the entry door is the one that was enchanted to trigger the opening of the face.

We're fairly genre aware over here, and we did try almost every possible solution except the stupidly obvious ones.

Alright, second scenario:
Admittedly, this one is less ambitious than the others.
And my first door got chewed through pretty quickly.
>Having chosen to enter through the back door in the cavern underneath the mage’s tower, you have discovered what seems to be a seldom, if ever, used route.
>Possibly an escape path for emergencies, it is just one large chamber.
>At point A is the cavern entrance that you entered through.
>At point C is a stone door marked with sigils and wards.
>At point B is a large, incredibly dark pool of water with a single wooden bridge crossing the pool.

What do you do?

>Care to try the rear entrance?

Of course, this must be an illusion! I test the pool of water to see if it can be walked on and go across that way.

I knock on the walls on either side of the land I'm on, perhaps there is a secret door around the pool?

Fuck this gay magic shit. I take the bridge

>what do you do?
Throw rocks in the left water
Throw rocks on the bridge
Throw rocks in the right water
Throw rocks at the ceiling
Throw rocks at the floor
Throw rocks at the walls

Cast mage armour, and fly, then fly across the gap. Stone to flesh the door (for fun) then disintegrate. See what's behind, then teleport back to my tower and sleep, sending one of my clones to investigate.

I caught that as I typed.
Heh

>Of course, this must be an illusion! I test the pool of water to see if it can be walked on and go across that way.
>Moments after you touch the surface of the pool, skeletal arms shoot out of the murky depths and grasp at you!
>The skeletons clamber onto the shore and drag you into the pool, choking you on the disgusting water, trying to drown you as they tear your flesh apart.

>I knock on the walls on either side of the land I'm on, perhaps there is a secret door around the pool?
>Cleverly you search for secret doors and confirm there are none.
>You are near enough to the entrance that when Mage Tempus Corul IV is dragged under you can slip back out safely.

>Fuck this gay magic shit. I take the bridge
>The bridge seems well made and capable of bearing the weight of heavily laden carts.
>The water seems to have not worn the supports at all, although you cannot see more than an inch or so into the water.
>The bridge should bear your weight with no trouble, but it is only a small cart’s width wide.
>The length of the bridge is such that it would take you several rounds to cross it at a full run.

I poke the bridge with my ten foot pole to check if it's solid and stable.

Ok, I get a surfboard-sized piece of wood or a good shield.

Time to go crowdsurfing.

Oh bugger, what happened here?
Skellingtons? Skellingtons kilt me dad. And me uncle. And me other uncle. Come to think of it, I can't think of an uncle that wasn't kilt by skellingtons.
Well, what are we waiting fer? Run like the dickens and beat in skellington heads if they tries to bite at me ankles.
This fella's got the right idear.

>Throw rocks on the bridge
>Throw rocks at the ceiling
>Throw rocks at the floor
>Throw rocks at the walls
>Nothing happens

>Throw rocks in the left water
>Throw rocks in the right water
>Moments after the rocks touch the surface of the pool, skeletal arms shoot out of the murky depths and grasp at you!

>You cast mage armour, and fly, then fly across the gap.
>There is a horrible splashing and clacking sound as dozens of skeletons rush out of the pool, swarming at your location, for the moment unable to reach you as you fly at maximum height a few feet above them.

>You cast Stone to Flesh the door (for fun) then Disintegrate.
>Your spells are repelled by several standard layers of magical defenses upon the door, much as you would place yourself.
>The skeletons, in their fervor to reach you, begin clambering over each other to reach you, gaining enough height to reach you.
>Their skeletal hands claw your robes.
>You teleport back to your tower and sleep, sending one of your clones to investigate.

See
Obviously.

Wooden bridge and tons of skellingtons? Reminds me of that one part of DS3
Time to run like hell I guess

Once upon a time, there was a powerful wizard, who developed an awesome spell "Sheet lightning", that flooded the area in front of the caster with lightning bolts, incinerating the mage's enemies.

Many were astounded by this display of arcane might, and hounded the poor mage mercilessly, asking him over and over again to demonstrate his spell so they could learn to duplicate it. He was so fed up with the constant irritations, that he hid in a dungeon and turned himself into a door to avoid the hordes of idiots asking for the proper formulas.

So of course, one day a hero comes blundering along, trying to figure out how to get to the other side of the door, and it starts insulting him, mocking him, and definitely not opening. It took some empathy and insight to get him to leave, namely by listening to his story and then threatening to pester him endlessly asking about the sheet lightning spell until he opened up.

>Well, what are we waiting fer? Run like the dickens and beat in skellington heads if they tries to bite at me ankles.
>Attempting to cross the bridge while the skeleton are attacking, the skeletons clamber onto the bridge and try to drag you into the pool.
>Bashing the skeltons as they swarm, you kill several but are quickly being overwhelmed.

>Ok, I get a surfboard-sized piece of wood or a good shield.
>Time to go crowdsurfing.
Thinking quickly, you use the "surfboard-sized piece of wood or a good shield" you happened to be holding and attempt to crowdsurf the crowd of skeletons.
>Unfortunately they grab the [item] as you attempt to surf and quickly drag you into the pool, choking you on the disgusting water, trying to drown you as they tear your flesh apart.
>You are soon another member of the skeletal rear guard along with Mage Tempus Corul IV.

I get my arse to the other side and try to put my 'ands on the warded door. It's like tag, I think. Unless this is another one of the 'go back the way you came' tricks.

>Fuck this gay magic shit. I take the bridge
>Run like the dickens
>Time to run like hell I guess

Alternatively:
>Upon safely fleeing the cavern and returning later, you find the cave as you first did, with no trace of the skeletons.
>You quickly run across the bridge and reach the other side after several rounds.
>No skeletons seem to have been disturbed.
>You are on the other shore and still a good distance from the magic door.

>You are soon another member of the skeletal rear guard along with Mage Tempus Corul IV.

Awesome! It's hard to get a steady job in this economy.

>I get my arse to the other side and try to put my 'ands on the warded door. It's like tag, I think.
>You barely reach the warded door and touch it, triggering a ward, the skeletons seize you.

>Unless this is another one of the 'go back the way you came' tricks.
>It seems that would have been wiser.

Solving the door by being just that big of a pest?
Groovy.
Also, Doors with Backstories. Who knew?

>>You quickly run across the bridge and reach the other side after several rounds.
>>No skeletons seem to have been disturbed.

Shame. He never was the smartest of us, but I'd appreciate it if less magicians had their heads up their own ass when it came to traps.
Though I suppose traps being defeated by the least reasonable solution is a good enough security system. It certainly seems to work.
Okay, this thing is obviously trapped. Is there a secret door on this here side of the bridge?

>Okay, this thing is obviously trapped. Is there a secret door on this here side of the bridge?

>Using your superior thief skills, you are certain there is not secret door or lever.
>However, you detected a clear half circle around the door that is a classic Mage's Trap.
>Having learned about such trap magics from your brothers, you can tell that passing through the barrier would send a signal to somewhere close by.

>You know what, you just remembered you have with you a wand of greater dispel magic you "borrowed" from your brother.

My character, Kronk the Stronk, punches the face until it reveals the correct door and password. Failing that, he pummels down the door on the right.

Stupid Wizard Locks. Can't just do things the regular way.
Overthinking killed my brothers, so I'm going to be boring and use the wand. Watch as it ends up killing me.

>My character, Kronk the Stronk, punches the face until it reveals the correct door and password.
>The door is deeply upset by your assault, but remains enchanted and impervious to physical harm.

>Failing that, he pummels down the door on the right.
>The door swing open upon the first mighty strike!

>Overthinking killed my brothers, so I'm going to be boring and use the wand.
>As you dispel the first layer of magical defenses upon the door, there is a horrible splashing and clacking sound as dozens of skeletons rush out of the pool, swarming at your location.
>As you prepare to use your formidable dexterity to dodge their attacks while continuing to dispel the many wards, you have a random thought:
>This door is obviously crafted by the whoever crafted the front door.

Oh, so I'm supposed to go back to the door I came from now? Well, I'll do that!
How is the mage in charge of this place supposed to get anything done? He has to play Musical Doors every time he wants to enter or leave.

>The way back out is blocked by many skeletons.
>You keep fighting and dodging, using the wand as often as possible.
>You fend off the dozens of skeletons with ease, being a superior adventurer with mad skillz.
>The warded door is eventually dispelled, but there is no telling how much advanced warning the mage has been given by the wards.

>You have found a solution to the door and may enter unharmed and have avoided becoming another member of the skeletal rear guard whose only purpose is to attack anyone molesting the Door or the Pool that does not utter the Password.

Yeah, the mage uses the same password on both doors, for reasons.
I suppose I should have revealed the need for a password with the thief search check.

Okay, this door was not that puzzle-like so I may have sold it wrong.
I liked the idea of just a simple door that can be handled in conventional means, but that any attempt by an unauthorized person would be met with a reasonably lethal, but simple force.
Also, I totally had this idea before I read Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince.
Yeah, that’s how long these ideas have gone sitting unused.

Next up is the REAL front door.

I walk across the bridge backwards, then piss on the door. If the skellies attack, I'll vigorously masturbate to make them/their controller uncomfortable since the fucker's probably made a drinking game of this, if not a new form of entertainment known as Jovial Castle Scrying, hosted by none other than the fool Robert of Saget

Alright, third scenario:
This is what I designed in place of that first, Two-Door puzzle for the mage tower.

>You enter the front door of the Tower and step into a grand hall.
>Four pillars stand flanking the path towards a large double door in the back of the tiled hall.
>On either side of each pillar stands a simple clay sculpture of a robed figure, the sculpture is too simple to make out any recognizable features.
>There are two very large suits of armor standing on the left and right walls.
>There are three doors on the back wall a simple wooden door on the left and right, with a central door that is bolted closed with four seals and marked with four symbols.
>Upon the walls are some tapestries and a bear fur with a singed rear left paw.
>Upon each pillar is one of the symbols marked upon the door.

What do you do?

If you know you got the solution quickly, please spoiler it so others can guess.

Walk into the center of the four pillars. Hopefully I won't get murdered.

What would my total noob players do?

Bicker. Then send Tito forward to open the central door. Tito, being a coward, would sneak along the left hand wall, touching nothing, until he reach the door.

>I walk across the bridge backwards, then piss on the door. If the skellies attack, I'll vigorously masturbate to make them/their controller uncomfortable

I check the rear left wall for secret doors.

I check inside the helmets looking for any of the symbols on the pillars and doors, hoping that if it were that simple I switch the helmets to the proper suit that corresponds with the pillar nearest

>Walk into the center of the four pillars.
>Tito, being a coward, would sneak along the left hand wall, touching nothing, until he reach the door.
>As you step onto the tile floor, all four suits of armor begin to animate, lifting their swords as they approach you menacingly.

What do you do now?

>Tito is uncomfortably close to the left front suit of armor.

>Despite the Suits of Armor, do you continue toward the:

>center of the four pillars.

>door

>rear left wall

>helmets

?

Tito has Int 5, so he makes a break for it and runs for the central door, trying to open it before the guardians attack.

>centre of four pillars here
In desperation, I'll say the password. Also, anything at all interesting ab out the statues, possibly related to their elemental symbols inscribed on the columns?

Man, we've got some rowdy company. I move to the pillars and try to touch them in the correct order, Snowflake, weird horned ring, thunder, then fire.

They're full suits of armor. I take the risk of being stabbed by lifting off the helmet of one to check the inside of it for one of the symbols on the door/pillars

>Tito has Int 5, so he makes a break for it and runs for the central door, trying to open it before the guardians attack.
>Tito finds that the door is securely and magically bolted with seals matching the four symbols marked on the door and the pillars.
>He cannot budge them.
>The suits of armor loudly clank and creak as they approach, raising their swords to attack.

I start singing a catchy song to see if any of the suits are actually really well disciplined soldiers, though the song would be far more powerful than their training.

I choose Bohemian Rhapsody.

>In desperation, I'll say the password.
Sadly the password does nothing this time.

>Also, anything at all interesting ab out the statues, possibly related to their elemental symbols inscribed on the columns?
The only interesting thing about the sculptures is that they appear to be made of realtively fragile ceramics. You wonder how they managed to be transported here they look so fragile.
>Also, the suits of armor loudly clank and creak as they approach, raising their swords to attack.

Tito gives each of the symbols a desperate poke before being (presumably) hacked to pieces.

He is not mourned.

>I move to the pillars and try to touch them in the correct order, Snowflake, weird horned ring, thunder, then fire.
Touching the pillars, you detect powerful magics, but your touch does not affect them.
>Also, the suits of armor loudly clank and creak as they approach, raising their swords to attack.

I slap the metaphorical dicks off the statues as fast as I can

I wonder what would happen if I feinted in such a way a missed strike from each corner's guardian armor broke the respective pillar's statue.

Obviously not the OP, but there's two statues to every pillar, on the left and right from entrance pov

>I take the risk of being stabbed by lifting off the helmet of one to check the inside of it for one of the symbols on the door/pillars
>Each suit is revealed to be empty on the inside.
>There does seem to be a mark matching the symbol of each pillar on the inside of each suit.
>You take a bit of minor stabbing damage to find this out. Mark the damage on your character sheet.

>I start singing a catchy song to see if any of the suits are actually really well disciplined soldiers, though the song would be far more powerful than their training.
>The suits do not respond to Bohemian Rhapsody.
>You have confirmed they are constructs devoid of souls.
>You do, however, hear muffled humming coming from the interior four statues.

>there's two statues to every pillar, on the left and right from entrance pov
True.

>I feinted in such a way a missed strike from each corner's guardian armor broke the respective pillar's statue.
>I slap the metaphorical dicks off the statues as fast as I can

>Which statue do you attempt to break first?

First right pillar, inside left statue

By this I mean the statue on the left side of the three crescent moon pillar

>>You take a bit of minor stabbing damage to find this out.
Damnit! I missed something.

>You take a bit of minor stabbing damage to find this out.
>In addition to each minor stab, you also take fire, cold, electric, and acidic damage.

>Your attack breaks the sculpture.
>Within is revealed the Mage!

>Upon another look, it is clearly not the mage, but a simulacrum of the mage.
>It is holding a strange wand and seems intensely focused and does not respond to anything you do.
>The closest suit of armor approaches closer as the mage stands concentrating.

Grab both handles at once, speak the password.

>fire, cold, electric, and acidic damage
To clarify, each suit closest to the pillar with the marking delivered the corresponding damage.

I attack the wand, as it must be how the nearest armor is being controlled

I really should have anticipated this.

FUCKING DROP KICK THAT SHIT

>Your attack is harmlessly deflected by a magic barrier.
>Perhaps you could try a different kind of attack?

>I feinted in such a way a missed strike from each corner's guardian armor into the mage.

>The attack strikes, but the acidic damage is absorbed by a magic barrier.
>The nearest outer sculpture cracks slightly.

I attack it with acid; conveniently collected from puzzle #1

>Your attack breaks the sculpture.
>Magical energy erupts from within and is absorbed into the pillar.
>The magic barrier around the simulacrum mage dissipates.

>Oh, and the suits of armor are not killing you because they are being fended off by, let's say, other members of your party.

I repeat these steps with the corresponding statues and their pillars with the element assigned

I used a puzzle door once. It was alive and asked people terrible riddles. Like the easiest shittiest riddles.

Magic was returning to the lands, and the vault of this royal family's door awoke into a riddle door. It was especially shameful for them, so much so they had a second door put in behind it with an actual lock, and used it as an alarm system (as everyone within 2 rooms could hear it talking, whenever anyone approached).

It would constantly ask people if they wanted to solve more riddles even after they opened it. Really it was just lonely.

Used it to suck up the players times while a teleporting thief done stole a relic from the vault.

>I repeat these steps with the corresponding statues and their pillars with the element assigned
>After running around, damaging statues and such, you are left with four mage simulacrums each next to a pillar and four suits of armor.

I forgot a crappy image or two along the way.