MTG Modern General

Does Death's Shadow need a ban? Do you think MM3 did enough to make Modern more affordable? Is Storm a meme? Does Twin need to be unbanned to make blue great again?

Playing, hating, brewing, sideboarding?

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern
>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-03-17-white-knights/
modernnexus.com/topdecks/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TYm2Hyd1ojvSa_WN8C99L149gt-Y0RF7hPG5baxnKXA/pubhtml
twitter.com/AnonBabble

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-03-17-white-knights/

Does anyone have some spicy tech to help me white knight and win the muh ladies? Does white have any decent way to get draw power? Is Rebuff the Wicked as good as it sounds?

>Does DSJ need a ban?
No, it's a fair deck and doesn't have a huge meta share and it only had crazy results at Vancouver and I'm more inclined to believe that was because of the group playing it. I man what do you even ban from it? The deck doesn't really have any "bullshit" cards unless you consider the free cantrips bullshit.

>inb4 Traverse is on the same level as GSZ

You could argue for Shadow itself. It's a strictly better Goyf for the purposes of the deck and punishes dealing (combat) damage, a goal for the vast majority of decks in the game's history, before a certain threshold, namely hitting 0. Discard doesn't really work vs the deck because of GSZ, new Lili and Kcommand, and answers to Shadow are limited to non-damage based removal.

need card advantage in a tribal deck? splash green for Coco

Why ban anything? The deck loses hard to kithkin tribal, it's being kept in check honestly.

Wow, so funny. Epic

Have you even played the matchup faggot? It's legitimately good against Death's Shadow Jund, shut the fuck up about shit you clearly don't understand.

>Death's Shadow punishes dealing (combat) damage, a goal for the vast majority of decks in the game's history.

Good, I know which deck I'm getting next.

>le epic maymay xD

lol just play abzan midrange problem solved you faggot

tron will eat either deck anyway

I'm not advocating for bans right now, I'm just playing the devil's advocate by pointing out that one black for a 10/10 can be problematic for WOTC.

Path, Fatal Push, Abrupt Decay etc.
Play some interactive magic pal.

well i hope they unban stuff because of it instead

This is all assuming DSJ doesn't discard these before riding its egg basket to victory, topdecks aside.

unban mental misstep to counter it

:^)

Here is the updated Modern Metagame:

modernnexus.com/topdecks/

What are the bad matchups for DS anyway? I would imagine Burn is a hard match, seeing as how DS wants to mostly kill itself and nothing can stop 3x bolts.

>modernnexus.com/topdecks/

BGX and tron xD

The whole death's shadow deck just has really good synergy in a strategy that is "fake" magic, kinda like dredge. When you're hurting yourself as much as possible, going as far as burning yourself, you're playing a different type of game. I love it in theory, but the game isn't designed for those "fake" strategies, so it's easy for them not to be balanced right. Thoughtseize and Inquisition really enable everything, having 8 targeted discard effects is huge. Thoughtseize is clearly the most banable card in that deck, but I don't know if it's warranted yet. There hasn't been enough time to adjust to this new powerhouse yet but I think with time it will prove to be too dominant and need a banning.

>updated
>2/5/17

Are they retarded? The data is more than a month old.

Is storm still good? I want to play a deck where I jerk off and then blow my load on the opponent.

How do you stop combo?

Is a vanilla 20/1 for 1 mana fair because it dies to everything?

If it has a relevant downside like shadow then yeah

That's just it, Shadow's text is an upside until you're at 0 life.

>Playing, hating, brewing, sideboarding?
I'm not playing anything.
I'm hating the deck I was playing.
I guess I'm messing around with goblins.
Goblins don't need a sideboard!

>upside
>when burn exists
>when if they deal with shadow then you're at a low life total and can die easily
Upside is stretching it

>are they retarded?
Yes. ModernNexus hasn't been good since their management change last year. Lame rogue brew articles, incredibly late metagame analysis. They pretty much stopped caring.

MANA TITHE. But really I could use some suggestions. This is obviously budget but I think it could hold up okay.

>burn burns you
>you can slow down your suicide plays and let them turn on shadow for you as they run out of gas
>downside

I can only recommend black discard or blue counters. Seems like a nice casual deck.

>you slow down the suicide plays
>they can just amass burn or slow down on the burn
>upside

>vanilla
fucking read. the question is, is "dies to removal" a good answer? does threat power have a limit? is "you lose if you don't answer this" good magic if people are expected to have answers? is forcing people to play interactive magic by making threats one turn game enders for 1 mana healthy? is giving that 20/1 haste healthy because people can still remove it at instant speed?

It's gonna be pretty hard to amass cards against decks that run 4 IoK's and 1-2 LotV's.

>discard makes a redundant deck like burn bad
wew

Quit moving the goal posts. You said you would amass burn, he called you out for the retard you are. Anyone who actually plays knows burn isn't great against DSJ

>More autistic arguin

>more dumb frog postin

>Want to draft mm3
>be a leaf
>everyone in my area is too poor to want to drop 50 bucks on the draft
>don't want to spend literally 300 leafbux on a box to draft it with people I hardly know and have the chance of someone palming the foil Lili

life is suffering

>does X need a ban
>in the format that when babbies don't like a card they ban it instead of learning how to git gud
>playing the babby needs his hand held format
>people will also cry about how modern is perpetually ded because wizards rightly told it to fuck off with its shit
>MFW

Do you rob a rug deck with mad card advantage could work?
Ancestral to start, remands to live until it comes off suspend
Goyfs, snaps and tireless trackers for more draw
Maybe a spicy dark dweller

One thing I don't really understand, is why do people play such linear shit like tron and burn? Like I really don't understand playing hard, redundant, extremely linear decks. All you do is the same shit every game, they're always decided by turn 4, and fuck me the burn mirror is literally how many helix did you draw. It's such shit, and then theres, play lands into fat guys. I understand if it's a tourney and it's the best overall choice, but shit like FNM when it's a couple packs on the line or just modern monday or whatever, like why do people bring burn every single week?

What do you play?

Since you both didn't bother with reading comprehension I can help you out.

Modern Nexus Metagame Spreadsheet (2/6/2017 - 3/12/2017)

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TYm2Hyd1ojvSa_WN8C99L149gt-Y0RF7hPG5baxnKXA/pubhtml

Why play green when you can play black?

I play Burn because I like redundancy. I always know what my plan is and how best to execute it, so i focus my efforts on learning the meta, learning how other decks function and how best I can beat them. I goldfish and play other decks in my spare time so when game rolls around, my 75 is as tuned as I can make it.

Then I focus on the players. Getting inside their head, thinking about their lines of play and what they'll do to beat me. I try to mess them up, get them talking and distracted. I know people pretty well, so I usually get people to open up to me, and that's when I can manipulate them into making mistakes.

I've played a few decks, the one I'm currently playing is Grixis Control. And please don't meme and just give some simplified explanation of how the deck is played and call it linear cause it's pretty decent in terms of having choices for a modern deck

But that brings me to my next question, I have 5 other decks in construction, cause I haven't played in like a year and sold a lot of my shit. I currently have Storm, which is pretty much good except for tarns but I run other fetches, and kiki chord splash blue, UB Tezzerator with chalice, Bug deaths Shadow, and Lantern. I also have an affinity deck for tourneys. But my main question is, how should I complete these decks? Like what order?
Storm
Lantern
Bug
Chord
Tezzerator
Like what should I do? Anyone have any suggestions?

Because it's not as fun. Tireless tracker and tarmogoyf are good cards

Fucking kek
*tip*

I hope you know that I'm a Psychologist and if you actually do these things, like if someone came into my office and told me this I am almost 100% sure I would place you on the autism spectrum.

I always had a suspicion burn players were autistic, this post confirms it.

Pulse of murasa plus fulminator mages is cool

You know, it's funny you say that. My current Psychiatrist had me take some autism evaluation test and I scored high enough to raise an eyebrow, but not enough to be diagnosed on the spectrum.

I don't really care what you think of me. My methods win me games.

>Modern Nexus
Son were you dropped as a child?

Your mannerisms are highly indicative of full fledged retardation

Do you get disability for having this much tism?

Should I get Amulet Titan or Gifts Storm?

Or maybe another combo deck? Those 2 seem to be the most interesting and somewhat competitive. I don't like boring 2 card combos.

Lmao amulet sucks and storm is not interesting

>playing
Bant Eldrazi, GW Hatebears
>hating
Always infect
>brewing
Grixis Control once MM3 prices start to drop
>sideboarding
Feeling bad siding racthet bomb over engineered explosives

Get storm of if you find skill- intensive decks fun and intersting.
Get Amulet if you find losing and being laughed at fun and interesting.

>storm
>skill-intensive
You dun' goofed.

>Amulet Titan
Summer Bloom got banned bruh

Jon Finkel has repeatedly stated storm is one of the hardest decks to play in Modern.

>Get storm of if you find skill- intensive decks fun and intersting

>storm
>using even a single modicum of skill

it's linear solitaire trash. it wins games but to say it's "skill intensive" is laughable at best.

I trust Finkel over Anons.

Way back when it went off non-deterministically with Ascension you mong.

It still casts a Titan fairly consistently on turn 3-4 and is less weak to permission without Bloom, and has the same unreal late game.

It's not skill intensive when you resolved gifts with 3 floating. But there are so many lines outside of that, that's when it's difficult.

Do the same ideas and principles no longer apply to the newest iteration of Storm?

No, since instead of resource management and counting odds you resolve a deterministic Gifts every time.

the deck was always linear if you slammed electromancer. rather than dealing with ascension jank trying to turn it on and weighing odds on your cantrips to get triggers, you now just run Baral and cast everything you draw. there is high redundancy and borderline zero actual decision making.

Interesting. I haven't really looked a recent decks, on account of not being able to play for the last two months or so, but I'll check it out. How exactly do you set up a Gifts package? It seems to me you can get screwed over pretty hard.

Literally not true at all. There are so many lines and card choices you have to make. When you have the combo, you have it and you win, but that does not happen every time, you have to know every single line every single sequence. I've literally watched people with an almost guaranteed kill scoop cause lethal is on the board. Literally the difference between winning and losing with the deck is knowing how to get the damage out when everything isn't perfect. Yeah there's the 2 card combo kill, that's easy. Then there's literally every other hand that you have, that you have to know how to optimize and get the most damage out of. You're a faggot and have never played the deck desu, I thought the same thing before I played it.

Fuck off. You just repeated yourself multiple times and gave no actual reasoning.

Typical gifts package, or the one you want to be making in baral storm is ritual ritual manamorphose past in flames with 3 mana floating. Then there are pretty much limitless other combos you have to fire off when they kill your guy or they have grave hate or literally a million other reasons. Also the deck can combo off without gifts, and without baral, but you have to know exactly what to do, cause counting incorrectly when your opponent is on 15 after fetches and shocks, or missequencing, can lead to a loss rather than a win had you played 1 card differently

>shit
>shit
>OG Kush Choice
>Something retarded
>Lantern

Play enchantress.

>draft mm3
>open Jank that is unplayable in draft and eternal formats
>lose 45 dollars to waste 3 hours playing with a bad deck
Never draft these sets.

If you have a discount dude that lives and you float 1 or more you get 3 rituals/2 rits+manamorphose and past in flames and it doesn't matter how your opponent piles them.

You're right, literally anyone can just pick up the deck and know every optimal line that isn't baral gifts 3 floating. You are truly a genius.

That's the kill pile, and it only works when everything is perfect which absolutely does not happen all the time, winning through a removal spell on baral is the most critical thing to the deck, with your hand you have to know exactly what cards to play and how much damage you can do or goblins you can make,

>enchantress
>not shit
Bruh

Loving the reasoning. Keep shitposting though bud

What reasoning do you fucking want? Do you want me to explain every possible fucking line you have to know to win with storm? Or the odds of combining off when you have draw and need to hit a specific card if you should or not? Like what reasoning am I supposed to give you fucking faggot? You're literally one of those autists that just spouts logical fallacies like it makes him intelligent and not a massive fucking try hard retard.

Lmao you're mad as fuck.
>storm is so difficult but I can't back this up
Kys angry boy

>winning through a removal spell on baral is the most critical thing to the deck
Thing is, on turn three, you don't. After that 99% of the decks in the format take over.

Huh, so games without Gifts (for whatever reason) require precise spell sequencing, decision trees and a little luck?

Sounds sweet.

>every deck in the format wins on turn 3 or 4
Great

And what requires skill? Bogles?

You need Disenchant or something similar.

Say your gift gets countered or discarded or your dude gets bolted, and you have to win next turn, that's when knowing exactly how to play the deck comes in.

You don't have to win on turn 4, just deplete enough of your resources and clock you back.
>i win through path into TKS and smasher guys

Tell me wise user, when do you sleigh before vision and when do you vision before slight, and how many cards do you see with both, you should immediately know this cause you know both the cards and what they do.

Yeah, my legs is almost all Eldrazi, storm is actually very favorable against them you fag

Are you implying we don't know what those cards do? Lmao this is your idea of skill intensive?
Serum is for later, sleight is for now.

Most people here know every card widely played in modern. You're little cantrip question is laughable

>didn't answer the question and tried to avoid is with memes
Further proof that Storm is the most skill intensive deck in modern if you can't answer that simple question.

Are you trolling or like actually autistic?

How much is the average B-Tier/decent modern deck? I want to get into the format, but I sold my collection a while ago, just looking for fun combo decks that don't seem to cost 700$

The burden of proof is on you, fuck face. Not going to type out the subtle differences between simple to use cantrips