WW1 Era War Games

What are some interesting field exercises for a squad of players in a WW1 era setting?
I am using D&D 5th edition rules.
There are 5 players with 10 NPC cadets under their command.
They will be fighting with rifles, swords, and non-lethal magic against a company of cadets in a series of field exercises.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yP1vSIOmCc4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You serious OP? I can dig stuff up if you want.

I am super serious.
I have like 2 and half hours before I GM the game. I have an NPC platoon ready, but my plans are lacking for the next few weeks.
Hook me up please.

Ok, well an interesting exercise would be a boarding action as Royal Marines. They were still trained to do that, and the confines of a ship make for an easier to map out play experience then an open field.

If you do want open fields, you want to avoid trench warfare (strategy for that is 'OVER THE TOP BOYS, FOR KING AND COUNTRY!") your squad would ideally be operating as flankers/saboteurs. Trying to sneak behind enemy lines and causing as much destruction to logisitics as possible. Taking out artillery dumps, ammunition caches, cutting telegraph lines, etc.

Another exercise would be learning how to fight in a trench assault. That involves learning to advance behind a creeping artillery bombardment, until you make it to the enemy's trench and then it's all about that CQB, and Affixin bayonets.

And lastly, if you were fighting in the far east, it was all guerilla actions, much like what a modern special ops division would do today, unless you are japanese in which case you just shoot up Chinese villages indiscriminately and claim a victory in a glorious battle against the chinese barbarians.

Thanks for tips.
For today I was just having them march to an open field, and they would be given time to prepare to defend an objective (by digging trenches) and defend against an assault.

I definitely try these those.
Why should I avoid trench warfare?

The LORD FLASHHEART's plane has been downed by the perfidious hun - it's a rescue mission boys!

>Why should I avoid trench warfare?

Because traditional Trench warfare is boring as shit. You go over the top and you take a machine gun bullet, or die from artillery, or choke on mustard gas.

It would not be fun for most players, if you are playing with a modicum of realism. Option 3 of the list would be the best if you really want to play in the trenches. Fighting in the enemy's trench, however you got there, will be infinitely more survivable then fighting across no mans land.

Duly noted. I'll have to set something up then for next week along those lines.

DnD has terrible gunplay, tho.

Unless magic makes up for shitty coms, you'll have a ton of recon/liaison work to do.
One group will defend an area, the other will try to recon it, with the defender sending scouting parties of his own...

You also got artillery spotting, trying to outmanoeuver the opponent for a bayonet charge, long marches and the beginning of camouflage (don't cut corners at crossroads, it shows), lots of earthworks (trenches, but also making stuff like small bridges and telegraph lines)...
And don't forget the mule packs.

WW1-era tanks.

Landships!

But prioritizing a soldier purely because of his birth goes against my republican sensibilities. Wat do?

You don't rescue him because he's LORD Flashheart, you rescue him because he's Lord FLASHHEART, flash by name, flash by nature.
youtube.com/watch?v=yP1vSIOmCc4

Here's a loyalty exercise for your squad, mate

Your squad is placed in an outpost near the frontlines in the mountains. It is a critical post, overwatching one of the many passes through this section of the Alps. A new patrol arrives, and its squad leader brings news. A communist revolution has arisen in your homeland, and this newly arrived comrades reveals that he is a member of this very same revolution. He urges you to join him, kill all the officers and noblemen, then march home to join the revolution and join an international brotherhood of mankind. Leaving your post will let your fellow soldiers further down the pass be dangerously unprepared should the enemy make an attempt on the pass, but the patrol leader says the foe is convulsed in revolution as well and their armies will soon revolt. Do you believe him? Is this a trick by the enemy to make you abandon your post? Are yourselves members of the international brotherhood? What do you do?

bumping for more WWI

Night raids on enemy observation positions ahead of the main lines.

>communists

Quick, somebody invent the helicopter so we can give this guy a free ride

>flankers/saboteurs. Trying to sneak behind enemy lines and causing as much destruction to logisitics as possible. Taking out artillery dumps, ammunition caches, cutting telegraph lines, etc.

this actually sounds rad af-- i'd love to DM something like this for my players.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of system would be good for a game like this? For this DnD seems... eh.

Actually, how did the not Europe parts of the war go? Amerifat education doesn't teach me shit because we weren't involved

Africa was mostly uneventful, with the notable exception of German East Africa.

War kicks off and Germany has a couple of colonies in Africa, all of which are surrounded by Allied colonies. They pretty quickly get gobbled up, since Germany doesn't have much in the way of military resources there.

However, in German East Africa, which had the largest concentration of German forces, things didn't go according to plan for the Allies. Their first major attempt to invade the colony came in November 1914 when a large force of Empire and Indian troops attacked Tanga, a German port. What followed was one of the most disastrous episodes in British military history. After making good progress into the centre of the town, German attacks caused some of the Indian troops to rout, which was then followed by swarms of angry bees attacking the invaders. Later, this was talked up into a fiendish plot by the Germans, who had bred these killer bees in preparation for an attack. This also gives the battle its nickname of the Battle of the Bees. Pursued by angry bees and vengeful Germans, the Allied attack turned into a full blown retreat. They fled back to their transports, leaving behind hundreds of rifles, 600,000 rounds of ammunition, 16 machine guns and enough clothing for the Germans to last a year.

The German commander, Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck, then proceeded to fight a very effective guerilla campaign over the next four years. He knew he couldn't win against the forces arrayed against him, so instead his objective was to tie down as many forces as possible. This he achieved remarkably well; by the end of the war, nearly 1,000,000 Allied personnel had been involved in trying to track the elusive German force down. They raided throughout East Africa, salvaging the guns from the cruiser Konigsburg and fighting in Mozambique, Rhodesia and the Belgium Congo. Lettow-Vorbeck was the last German commander to surrender, doing so on November 25th, 1918. The Allies never managed to comprehensively defeat his forces.

Also worth mentioning in Africa is the Battle of Lake Tanganyika. The Germans started the war in control of this vital waterway, which lay between German East Africa and the Belgium Congo. The Germans had two tiny armed boats on the lake, but that was enough to give them command of the water. They raided Belgium ports and sunk the Belgium and British steamers on the lake. The British, in response, hauled two 12metre speedboats 4,000 miles up from South Africa to the lake, and launched a sneak attack against the German ships which left the Germans either sunk of captured.

It's a quite bizarre tale of Lilliputian naval warfare in the middle of Africa, and a contender for a campaign if ever I saw one.

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck is the most successful guerilla fighter in human history.

>Because war is boring as shit.

Fixed.

Shoot the bastard

I'd heard of the lake battle, and vaguely of Lettow-Vorbeck's guerrilla campaign, but not bees thing

there were bands of deserters who survived in no mans land until the last year of the war

Dont know why your using 5e for WW1; there are other systems then dungeons and dragons.

Anyway, focus on either the first 2 months of the war or the last couple of months. Either are better for a rpg as the war is very mobile in these periods. If you insist on 5e then do the first 2 months as the modern tactics and armaments are still being misused and developed. Look into the early captures of Belgium forts.

What would be a better system?

GURPS is good. Great gunplay
The general thread is very friendly

GURPS also does a good job of just simulating what can only be described as war autism. As I have seen in my last session where I had to calculate the damage caused by a half ton of tnt going off.

Oh hey cool, I'm working on a WWI era table top game, although it'd work well for any time between Napoleon and before WWII.

>What would be a better system?
>Gurps

Like fucking clock work. Next will come the fate fags.

Posting some arts

Nobody on Veeky Forums even likes FATE, senpai. Cool your tits.

OP, how did the session go?

They spent two hours picking out gear for their cadets, then marched out to a field for their first Field Exercise.
Along the way they were surprised by a minefield (training mines filled with paint).
Still trying to work out a way to deal with those.

I had them use engineers tools to try to disarm them, and if they failed that then they would have to DEX save to try again.
There was bitching from one of them who failed all his checks and was covered in paint.
One of them has a trap finding skill to spot landmines even with minimum roll, and another used mage hand to clear a path.

After that they reached a flag with their next instructions.
Hold that point and defend the flag for two days or survive 5 waves of infantry. They have to stay within 300 feet of the flag and can't tamper with it.
They surrounded the flag with a trench and hunkered down.

An enemy force twice their size charged at them. There was some conflict about being prone and in cover, eventually decided you couldn't have a cover advantage while prone.
The rifles we're using have a range of 200/800 and do 2d10 damage. Sniper teams used a spotter (help action) to negate range disadvantage.

The gun is truly the great equalizer. It didn't matter if you had 30 hit-points or 8. A single crit was enough to end anyone on the field.
They outlasted the first wave, who eventually retreated after taking away the wounded.

I'm worried that one or two of the players will kill someone.