Dragon Ball Z TCG

Panini released the Awakening expansion packs just a couple months back. Anyone still play or collect the cards? The game is still fun as fuck!

The new show Dragon Ball Super just came out a few years ago so I'm thinking about hopping back on the TCG boat. What does Veeky Forums think of Dragonball Z and the Trading Card Game?

Other urls found in this thread:

paniniamericadbz.wordpress.com/2017/01/06/dbz-tcg-announcement/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's trash, play the Score version instead.
Politely saged.

Score has less limitations and rules applied to the card game itself and it's the dead version of the game. For example you only had to have 3 levels of your main personality instead of the legitimate 4. It's sucks dude.

Thanks but I'll stick with Panini.

Panini dropped the game. It is "officially" dead. The players have taken up arms to keep it alive, dubbing it "FanZ". Look at forums like Dbztoptier.com for news about it.

Yeah, Score was the OG. The only reason Panini picked up the game for awhile is because Score players kept it going at big events like Gencon. It was just a cash grab by Panini, and it sucked.

>THIS TOO SHALL PASS

So, Bandai is coming out with a new game for super, and asked Panini to stop making their game so the waters won't be muddied.

I am sad. Still trying to decide if I should buy a bunch of it and make decks to play in the future or abandon a dead game.

are you kidding me? No its not, Panini JUST released an expansion booster in January called Awakening you fucking retard.

Do more lurking bub before you make a half ass witty attempt like that. lol.

Not kidding, they officially stopped.

>So, Bandai is coming out with a new game for super, and asked Panini to stop making their game so the waters won't be muddied.

Wow, how fucking retarded to kill a game off rather than just make it an expansion for this one.

Then again, maybe they could make a better game, but most JPN CCG's usually end up short term trash.

uh, no they didnt. Look at their fucking website you idiot. They even have the updated checklist for the booster expansion called Awakening that came out this past January.

paniniamericadbz.wordpress.com/2017/01/06/dbz-tcg-announcement/

Don't be an asshole dude. It makes you look super stupid when you're wrong.

I bought 3 booster boxes and 2 starter decks from Amazon this weekend. Its worth the investment user.

if you have a group of friends who play, that's great! the game isn't dead until you stop playing it.

Buy some cheap booster boxes or ultra rares if you want, the prices are right.

Fuck yeah! I intend to! I'm surprised more people don't play this game considering how popular everything associated with DBZ is.

I play and collect. Was a tournament organizer and judge for a while. Last I checked it got cancelled and a new game is coming out by someone else for Super. I'll still probably make up some fun personalities and named cards for the sagas we didn't get to and just use those for casual play, but it would've been nice if they had actually gotten through the whole series, instead of dragging things along like they did.

Oh yeah? That's really cool man! How long were you a judge in the tournaments and are you looking forward to the new card game by Bandai?

I was judging tournaments every week for the first three or four sets but then the local meta dried up (you know a company isn't doing well when they can't even keep up the meta in their own area). After that it was just for the occasional big event.

I am looking forward to the new game, to be honest. While I prefer the Score/Panini version of the game, I've picked up a bit of every iteration I've come across. I'll add it to my collection, to be sure.

That's awesome user!! I'll be adding the series to the collection as well when it comes out. I'm really intrested to see how different Bandai has made the game compared to Score/Panini. Most people I talked to liked the new changes Panini had made to Score's original game. Although Panini did announce that from some sparse details they gathered that Bandai's game will be VASTLY different. So that's the only scary part but I'm willing to embrace a new form of the game.

What's your best decks lookin like? Anything uber rare stashed in there ;) lol

Also what drained the meta? Why didn't it take off man? The source material is fantastic.

I always preferred to do fun decks when I played, especially since I still managed to beat everyone with those lol It made for good variety. I'd let whoever came in last pick whatever deck I made next, just so they could see how something played or get some variety. Managed to kick butt with a Blue Gohan ally deck around... set 2 I think, it was great.

Popularity (or lack thereof) of the game had very little to do with the source material. The fact it was DBZ helped a little, and it pandered a lot to players who played the original Score game, which helped a bit as well. The problem was just they never got much momentum.

With Score, the game was coming out at about the same time as the tv, so there was a lot of hype to work off of. Panini didn't have the same marketing advantage and it showed.

Without a good, sizable base, it was harder to get new people into the game (although it did happen). Without new people (or new meta decks, which was an issue early on) it got kinda stale and people would have less incentive to play. Just started a downward spiral. Towards the end, I actually had days where I was supposed to judge a scheduled local tournament and no one would even show up, which sucked.

>Towards the end, I actually had days where I was supposed to judge a scheduled local tournament and no one would even show up, which sucked.

:-( I would of been there to support you man! That really does suck that no one would show up to Tournament battles! Did you ever get involved in the worldwide tournaments?

No, I was just for the local stuff, though I would've judged for the bigger stuff in-state if they needed me, and I expressed an interest in doing so.

yeah, thats so neat! How did you become a judge locally? Did you just start attending local events and get involved with the heads of local card shops?

I've gone to one of the major stores in my area pretty much since it opened and know the owner pretty well. I actually organized and judged the local events for DBZ to begin with, right from release. That's how I met some of the people from Panini (as they're fairly local too). Some were cool. Others were kinda douchey (one in particular comes to mind). That's to be expected with pretty much any group of people though.

shame this game is dead, its a reasonable cardpool to build stuff from tho.

Former Score Employee here, worked mostly on dbz, AMA.

Nice! How long did you work there and did you enjoy a lot of what Dragon Ball Z had to offer in terms of the source material to Score and the TCG?

I was only there for a short while, And of course I enjoyed what dbz had to offer to the game. However Score gaming dept is an excellent case study in how fuck a game up.

Really? What made Score so screwed up for you working there?

For me personally working there was amazing, The actual process of making the game was hilariously awful, One guy was in charge of making the cards, Another was only in charge of play testing said set of cards. It is the main reason why the errata was so large and confusing due to needing constant nerfs or buffs to cards that were already released out into the wild. The one main thing that killed me was the absolute lack of a give a fuck about making the game fun coming from the lead designer.

What the f*** was up with the Saiyan Saga cards, do you know? The wording on some of those was a pain and it really felt like things were a bit rushed or poorly conceived.

Saiyan saga and Frieza saga and the game engine was created by some guy who I forget his name was one of the first people help make Dungeons and Dragons. The role play like text was really apparent in the saiyan saga. For example Try to figure out how the fuck this card works.