Do clones have souls?

do clones have souls?

1. Yes, they do.
2. No, they don't.
3. Souls don't exist.
Pick one.

Depends on the setting, both if they do and how much it matters.

Personally, I'd say it depends a lot on how much a clone has developed as their own person. Whether they're still just a basic bundle of imprinted memories and functions, or if they've had time to grow and mature just like any other human being.

The complex thing, of course, is clones with implanted memories of another human, or fabricated memories. If I was writing a setting where souls were a thing and it mattered, I think I would say that a soul is not simply a static thing, but something life develops through awareness of itself and expression of its sentience and sapience. Anything with self knowledge and self will will, after a time, develop a soul.

best not let skirata hear you say that shit son

Do children have souls?

Does anyone?

By the logic of , young children might have incomplete/nascent souls, which explains why kids can be so fucking awful.

No. They just go around acting and pretending like they do. Really, that's basically what everyone else is doing anyway.

Depends on the setting, but my own take on the cloning process;

If the process allows for individuality to some out, then certainly. A soul is not only the spark of sapience, but the ability to take the genetics you have been given make something your own.

If it's more of husk before it's controlled by an outside mind, then no no soul.

Simple for me.

excuse me?

lets get setting specific

DnD

Pathfinder

40k etc.

He's implying that souls don't exist.

Star Wars has the worst fucking designs, I swear.

No. They are incapable of feeling or empathy. This makes them very sad.

Assuming the normal process of cloning, there is zero reason why clones shouldn't have souls unless the setting is completely and utterly retarded. A clone is just a twin made by artificial means, but still needs a real mother or at least an iron womb to gestate in. They are for all intents and purposes their own purposes, and will be absolutely nothing like their genetic donor in personality.

That was for one of the video games, and yes, the one in the center right is a ninja clone that are a bitch to kill even when you play as Yoda.

I like Storm Troopers and Clone Troopers more than pretty much any other space armor I've encountered.

So that's, like, your opinion, man.

>40k
In 40k cloning causes terrible misfortunes (Imperials tried to clone Solar Macharius, their best human general, and it didn't end well) and instinctive hatred from regular soldiers which can be a sign of blanks. Human souls get destroyed or eaten upon entering the Warp after death so it doesn't really matter.

I know about 40k and the answer tends to be no. Human made clones, either Imperial or Chaos, tend to be soulless meat machines that are just....off, even Fabius'es Horus clone was a pale shade that just didn't have something and got fucked by Abaddon.

Dark Eldar specifically rely on Clones not having a soul as a type of revival method should the original body be beyond repair.

Only if they grow enough personality.

Dark Eldar "cloning" is top-tier, though. It generally has no negative effects, although if you die and get regenerated enough times then it does tend to lead to physical (and probably mental and spiritual) degradation - see, for instance, Urien Rakarth.

I'd also note that the cloning process the Dark Eldar use isn't really traditional cloning at all. By focusing pain magic (for lack of a better word) on an appendage of the original body, which has its soul still attached to it, the soul can be nourished and organically grow back a new body. They don't just clone one and plop a soul into it. It's illustrated a number of times in the Path of the Dark Eldar books, and a lot can evidently go wrong with the process. That being said, the Dark Eldar do regularly use cloning technology as well to create servants. This is also illustrated in the Path books, where (in case the tag doesn't make it obvious, spoiler) there's a team of twin assassins who are repeatedly cloned every time they die on high value missions for their Archon. They don't appear to be aware of their situation as repeatedly-dying mooks, but their special Eldar twin bond thing survives the cloning.

It's unclear whether "vatborn" Dark Eldar are clones or just artificial insemination, or at least I forget what they are. Either way they're treated as the lowest (and largest) caste of DE.

Maybe, it depends on the clone.
They have to be into Jazz, while also not being a redhead.
That gives around 50:50 odds, dice to check.

I thought they do have a method where they create a 100% new body? I'm also talking about Path of the Dark Eldar, where Archaon Yili-whatever is talking with his Haemonculus about ways of getting a new body after he's been hit hard by the suped up glass plague and they bring up cloning a new body but the dangers of that since it would be soulless and thus prime possession material for the daemons wravaging the city at the time. It can't be from regrowing a part of his regular body since that was pretty much all infected with the overclocked glass-plague.

Yeah, but it's just a copy of the first soul.

According to D&D, scientific cloning for reproductive purposes results in a distinct entity with its own soul. They have an entire race of humanity that are nothing but adult clones, and aside from their non-standard creation method are considered the same as any other human.

Actually, "The Emperor Protects" is very literal in that one of his many, MANY multi-tasks is to make sure that not even the worst non-chaos corrupted souls of humanity reach the clutches of the warp. And strictly speaking, souls that get caught by the warp aren't "destroyed" so much as they're mind-fucked and corrupted to the point it becomes impossible to tell their original identity, possibly to get eaten by a Chaos God or Daemon to be stewed until rescued or the end of time.

human souls lack the strength to prevent being blown/torn apart upon death. But eldar souls are...also tasty apparently

they don't, much like the chinks.

According to SW canon, yeah, they do.

At a broader, universal level, I would also say that clones have souls.

Clones aren't some some ungodly synthetic humans made from scratch through alchemy and magic, they're just identical twins of the original. Artificial identical twins, but they're just as 'artificial' as in vitro fertilisation. Do you believe only one of two identical twins has a soul? Or that a IVF child has less of a soul than a naturally born one? Of course not because that'd be fucking retarded. Either they both have one or neither has one. Exact same story with clones. This is also why I think RedLetterMedia, right though he may be on all other fields, really messed up with his "clones ruined everything" schtick. He mentions the smalltalk the stormtroopers have in the original trilogy as a counter-argument... as if clones wouldn't be capable of smalltalk, or wouldn't develop their own personal quirks based on circumstance. There are problems with the clone republican-/stormtrooper subplot, but this isn't one of them.

I hate sci-fi for ruining clones. The only thing that's worse than this shit is the whole "immortality through a huge number of clone backups" bullshit. Again, they make you just as immortal as having a fucking twin.

If you pick anything but 3 outside of fantasy setting, you're trash.

As an alchemist who just got access to Alchemical simulacrum this is a hot topic for me.

>saying this when 40k exists

I wish our world sucked less

>The only thing that's worse than this shit is the whole "immortality through a huge number of clone backups" bullshit.

So, it seems like I found literally the only person that's gotten assblasted by EVE Online's in-lore excuse for why you respawn after your ship blows up.

Though, those are more vat-grown shells that don't have a mind, so to say, until one is uploaded into the brain, than actual clowns.

Spotted the jew.