Interesting armour

can we have an historical armour inspo thread?
preferably ancient, or at least pre-firearms

Other urls found in this thread:

greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com.br/2015/02/paper-armour-of-ming-dynasty.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Apparently, samurai weren't supposed to wear the masks into battle.

that particular style of japanese armor is definately not pre firearm

Let's see...

Brass armor, pangolim armor, paper armor, bone armor, riveted leather armor, shields with hidden rockets and triple-barreled arquebuses used as shields, the eastern folks had it all.

The pic is austronesian brass armor. They used it because they iron was scarce and rust quickly in their humid environment. Their plated mail also had bigger gaps than say, ottoman equivalents, and never covered more of the body than this. Doing so was asking for a heatstroke.

Stannis from game of thrones wears that.

Yes, Matt Easton even made a video about it

>pre firearms
>post samurai

This is an example of a more conventional plated mail.

The Tie Ren, aka the Iron Man Corps of Koxinga.

"Tie Ren wielded Zhan Ma Dao (斬馬刀) as their main weapon, and wore a complete suit of iron lamellar armour that included an iron helmet, an iron mask painted in terrifying monstrous visage, body armour, armoured skirt, armpit armour, arm guards and iron boots, all made in the style of Manchu armour "

I've never head that they weren't allowed to wear masks, they just didn't care for them since it restricted their breathing.

Pangolim armor. Said to be extremely tough and usually reserved for high-ranking officers.

It amazes me how shit armor was elsewhere in the globe compared to Europe. Guns, Germs, and Steel really is applicable.

Forgot pic.

I really have to sleep.

Last one for now.

Cataphracts of the Jin Dinasty. This level of armor stopped with the Mongol conquests.

I only heard bad things from that book.

That book is complete shit.

>cataphract

So were these guys cavalry? I'd like to see some horseback two-handed swordsmanship.

>since it restricted their breathing.

And talking, and drinking. And sweat tended to collect in the chin-area, so they eventually drilled drainage holes there. Really, facial protection is absolutely the weakest part of the Kabuto.

Armor is for savages, uniforms is where it's at.

swag yo!

People say that this book was shit, but anyway technological development is of course tied to racial average IQ.

Then how were the Mayans and Aztecs master of mathematics yet complete shit in every other department?

It doesn't even make sense, because according to the biiig book of graphs and statistic data, Asians should be leading the pack in mathematics and physics, when in reality, it's mainly slavic jews who do EVERYTHING in the field.

This is mainly because Jews are raised on numbers. Not only is the holy book numerical in nature and be reduced to a mathematical code, but they're educated in math from an incredibly young age.

>implying the quality of education trumps genetics

It does considering we haven't even found a "smart" gene, and intelligence is not a stat like in RPG, but applicable to specific functions. Somebody who is a complete genius when it comes to astrophysics for example may be a complete and utter retard in regards to computer science. Like Stephan Hawking and his "AI gunna destroy teh wurld" nonsense.

>Like Stephan Hawking and his "AI gunna destroy teh wurld" nonsense.

He is right though, the US has a major fetish for figthing out the race war nonwhites have shamefully denied them for centuries with AI-replacements, so it's reasonable to point out that they're absolutely going to indulge in it as soon as the technology's available.

Nigga there isn't going to be AI, that's the joke. The entire of idea and hope of the singularity is as much of a joke as fundies hoping for the Rapture. Never going to happen, Moore's law is already dead and Fusion is still thirty year's away.

What's wrong with that, samurai and japanese firearms coexisted for like, three centuries.

Almost all of that armor coexisted with firearms.

Whatever, I just misinterpreted what I read.

I was under the impression that it was the warlords and general who wore the masks, and generally didn't go out and do the front-line fighting ... is that not true?

Why not both?

superior Korean armor coming through. all other plebs may bask in its glory then proceed to kill themselves

The more outrageous kabuto are generally from the meiji era when Japan was at peace - they're basically fancy "formal wear" for samurais whose social role was more landlord and baron than warrior.

>meanwhile, in medieval europe...

For some reason that armor/weapon combo looks dedicated to fighting on foot, but also fighting opponents who are perhaps lightly armored to unarmorex. Carving through and breaking formations of peasant levies and the like.

>This level of armor stopped with the Mongol conquests.
Song period lamellar was only rendered obsolete by firearms during the early Qing.

The Mongols (re)introduced cotton,brigandine and mail armors.

Paper armor

Global 16th century

>16th century
Ming brigandine would look more like this.

TIBET HAS ALWAYS BEEN PART OF CHINA PROPER.

SIBERIA IS HAN-ASIAN

VIETS GET OUT OF OUR ANCESTRAL LANDS REEEEE.

Squad

>The pic is austronesian brass armor. They used it because they iron was scarce and rust quickly in their humid environment. Their plated mail also had bigger gaps than say, ottoman equivalents, and never covered more of the body than this. Doing so was asking for a heatstroke.

I realise that West-Africa has a completely different climate, but West- and Central-Africans happily wore thick mail and plate mail in combat. The point where armour becomes too hot to wear is less like an absolute point, and more something regional, something about what you're used to.

I mean, I've seen pictures of Indonesian warriors wearing metal cuirasses.

>It amazes me how shit armor was elsewhere in the globe compared to Europe. Guns, Germs, and Steel really is applicable.
Nope. Europe just was a chaotic little cold shithole with a load of savages fighting over nothing for hundreds of years. No real empire-building for hundreds of years meant that the Europeans could develop absurd amounts of resources in making a small group of warriors (knights and man-at-arms) well protected.

The empires that laid around the European continent never bothered with that shit because why make a single soldier invulnerable to arrows, bolts and bullets when you can just send 100 horse archers, or 1000 pikemen after his ass?

The fact that you think AI relies on inventing new chips instead of layering systems shows just how little you know about artificial intelligence.

It will happen. After all, intelligence is simply a process of stacking systems of awareness onto each other, until the various systems can analyse each other, leading to self-awareness.

>No real empire-building for hundreds of years meant that the Europeans could develop absurd amounts of resources in making a small group of warriors (knights and man-at-arms) well protected.

We only started to really diverge from Eurasian trends after we already had some experience in colony-management and the Spaniards had well learned the tricks of the trade on how to exploit landed populations from their former North African masters.

...and the trend of heaping loads and loads of gear on individual soldiers really started with the Greek and reached its first aphex with the romans.

Gotta keep in mind that those fuckers basically had every single soldier march into battle geared up like goddamn nobility.

Only for a short while.

Banded plate armour a shit. Mail is king.

>when you have to protect m'lady's honour

I meant only the armor, doubt sword being for horseback. may be more on point. It's not like such armor would be exclusive to horsemen. Plus, considering , I have to be more careful on what I said, or at least remember where I read that.

I should have been clearer. The point is heat + humidity. One can manage the heat alone, but the level of humidity in Austronesia makes the heavier armor unbereable. We're talking of a place where one can drench in their own sweat without armor or heavy labor.

Studded leather armor existed, but the studs just held the leather scales to the fabric underneath.

It's a french riot squad.

greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com.br/2015/02/paper-armour-of-ming-dynasty.html
>Zhi Jia (紙甲, paper armour)
A different Zhi Jia, hereby dubbed "studded paper armour", is recorded in Jin Tang Jie Zhu Shi Er Chou (《金湯借箸十二籌》) and Yong Chuang Xiao Pin (《湧幢小品》). It is made of flexible paper, hammered soft and layered to three cun thick, then fastened with studs. It is said that this armour performs better when soaked with rainwater.

>Not posting the stuff that'd get you kicked outta the LARP as part of an in-group-building-exercise.

Koreans did have armored warships before everyone else.

A ship's basically a floating fortress as soon as its main deck is located a couple of meters above the waterline though.

The fact that you think you actually get returns from diminishing returns shows you don't know shit about computers. You cannot infinitely increase whatever the hell you mean by "systems"- eventually your processing speed and efficiency will level off due to diminishing returns. There is no such thing as an exponential trend in reality, eventually everything plateaus.

is objectively superior to most European armor prior to the 15th or 16th century.
And please do run around in fucking humid-ass India with a full plate kit, why don't you? Have fun with the heatstrokes.

...mail-and-plate is a 15th-16th century type of armour, user.

I thought they were 14thc. Fuck.
Still, it's best for its enviornment.

>I have to be more careful on what I said, or at least remember where I read that.
The textile industry boom that began during the Yuan dynasty made it more cost efficient to adopt brigandine/cotton armor.

The northern border garrisons adopted Mongol armaments so Ming cavalry/mounted infantry would resemble An apt analogy would be the Ming "surcoat" brigandine being gradually phased out by the two piece variants during the late Ming/early Qing.

>is objectively superior to most European armor prior to the 15th or 16th century.
No it isn't. Full plate armor was invented in Europe by 1380/90, and prior to that it still had full coverage of the limbs with plates and wearing some variety of a coat of plate, which are tight overlapping plates which function like a cuirass.

Pic related is leagues beyond that indian shit armor. Do you even know anything about historical armor for that matter?

Seeing how the frontiers of the habsburg/ottomans-conflict ran through the Balkans and most of South-eastern and eastern central Europe, I'd imagine that heath wasn't much of an issue there.

Also some formations, like the Janissairs, apparently did without armour unless a siege was at hand. And then they just threw on whatever captured gear local armouries could supply them with.

Furthermore by the 13th century, Men at Arms already had full torso protection courtesy of Coats of Plate, on top of full bodily maille and some variety of padded garment (which Indians likely didn't wear under their maille).

>some kind of late antique heavy sniper rifle

a dex armor set, I'm sure.