A small demon arrives at a village

>a small demon arrives at a village
>villagers immediately panic, guards rush out to kill it
>the demon doesn't resist, and while being beaten cries out that it's not evil and never meant any harm to anyone
>captain of the guard decides it might be better to capture it rather than kill it, despite protests from zealous villagers
>once captured, the demon explains that not all demons are evil, and that it's all just a stereotype and stigma, though one well-earned by its kin
>though the captain of the guard changes his mind and decides to kill it, the mayor forbids him from doing so, having known a half-orc who had faced similar prejudice despite being a good person

>the demon remains imprisoned for two years, where it remains cheerful despite its harsh conditions, saying where it came from was much worse
>the mayor decides that if this was anyone except an evil demon, they would be committing a terrible crime themselves by imprisoning an innocent creature, and this demon had done literally nothing to warrant its imprisonment beyond being a demon
>shackled and observed, the demon is let out of its cell a few times
>it always asks if it can help anyone, and one day a farmer decides to bully it by giving it a small trowel and telling it to clean out his stables
>though terrible, grueling work, the demon finishes the task without any complaint, and even thanks the farmer

>after several more years, the demon has made a few friends, mostly the younger children who don't understand why they must hate and fear it
>eventually, the aging mayor decides that the demon has done nothing wrong all these years, and formally releases it, despite protests from the older villagers
>it lives at the edge of the town in a small hut, performing small tasks for the villagers in exchange for just being allowed to be left alone

>after more than a decade, the villagers have slowly grown to accept the demon
>though most are still wary, and a few still want to see it dead, they have come to respect the demon as a diligent worker that always is willing to lend a hand
>many start to refer to it as the "good demon", and try to treat it like a true member of the village
>the villagers slowly discover that the demon has a warm and friendly personality, and actually becomes rather popular due to its humility and charm
>after two decades of living with the villagers, they formally apologize for having mistreated it in the past, and welcome it into their village

>six days later, when the last villager has been caught and enslaved by the demonic army that had taken years to summon, the small demon wonders if the people "deserved" what they got, or whether it's all just an unfortunate example of terrible things happening to good people.

What is this thread about?

Gary Grygyx mastrubating to child murder from beyond the grave, I suppose?

Neither, the small demon always was being insidious and evil, corrupting the villagers by twisting their judgement, or at the very least is being a selfish and petty evil for the whims of the villagers.

A demon that ceases to be evil ceases to be a demon.

It's a coincidence.

The loli demon had nothing to do with the demon army coming to the village.

It's a call to arms for would be paladins. Always smite first and ask questions later

Was she cute though? It's okay if she's cute

C'mon, Veeky Forums's better than lawful stupid. Have some faith.

Seems like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" moral dilemma scenario that'll end with either "Why did you attack the demon? She was proof that they aren't all evil!" or "Lawl, why didn't you stop her from summoning the demon army? She OBVIOUSLY had an ulterior motive!"

She didn't summon the demon army, though. She just made a comment after it appeared and ransacked the village.

It's a thinly veiled pol immigration warning thread.

I'd say it's more of a warning not to try and transplant real world issues onto fantasy creatures.

>six days later, when the last villager has been caught and enslaved by the demonic army that had taken years to summon, the small demon wonders if the people "deserved" what they got, or whether it's all just an unfortunate example of terrible things happening to good people.
remember you have to smite ALL the evil boy also pic related

No, it pretty clearly clearly says that the demon spent a few years quietly summoning demons to buid up an army, and after the razedis razed, it wonders if the people really deserved it or if it was a case of bad things happening to good people.

>after the razedis razed
"after the town is razed", rather. I fucking hate when my phone decides to randomly replace and mash together words.

Veeky Forums complains about how Paladins are always smitebots but then you see scenarios like OP

Smite 'em all, let God sort them out.

If I am damned after I die for keeping the world safe so be it. It is a small price to pay to stop Innocent blood from staining the earth.

I thought you were trying to mix 'razed' with 'nazis' and I do admit razedis sound nasty and a lot like rabies.

No, that's not clear at all. Someone spent years summoning a demon army, but the text does not indicate the demon as the culprit in any way.

>demon army appears from nowhere and kills the town
>but who could possibly have done this?
>it couldn't have been...the DEMON, could it?

now that's just racist.
I'll have you know I summoned the demons because of my succubus fetish and it got a bit out of hand.

>I'll have you know I summoned the demons because of my succubus fetish and it got a bit out of hand.
I'll take shit PCs say for 1000$ Alex.

Smitefag please go, you are a stain on everyone that plays paladins.

The greentext puts forth exactly zero evidence that the small demon is the summoner. Correlation is not causation.

>Smiting on sight what is know to be a physical manifestation of evil
>lawful stupid

Look at this guy, I bet he consorts with evil beings regularly and things nothing of it. I bet this silly fuck thinks they're just "misunderstood". I'd call him a possible oathbreaker, but no one who's this big a dummy would even get to take an oath in the first place.

>physical manifestation of evil

Clever. That's true, but physical manifestations of evil can be alignments other than evil. Smite Evil will still affect them, too. One of my GMs was a dick like that.

>physical manifestations of evil can be alignments other than evil
Do you mean completely off the evil axis?

Wait what?

Evil as a subtype, etc. It's one of the ways the whole good succubus meme works.

But its still Evil. How is something with the subtype of Evil not Evil?

WE WILL HAVE ORDER

Lots of ways. Various spells and artifacts. Helm of opposite alignment and stuff. It's really contrived of course and should never be considered the norm, it's more the exception.

You're right about that, but another phrase says that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Do you really want to take the risk?

This whole scenario is on par with accepting the true fey to move in with you.

>ITT OP is a fag who wants a pointless argument starter

It's still evil, but it's also good/lawful/chaotic whatever.

For example, because Fall-from-grace is a succubus, she has a CE aura, but she's also a LG aligned priest, giving her a LG aura. She will ping all four alignments to detect alignment spells.

Isn't DnD's alignment system just wonderful?

This makes me irrationally angry.

In game, it highlights just how strange a nonevil demon is. It's very existence mocks the rules the universe tries to follow.

In out of universe terms, it also exposes a major flaw in DnD's conception on alignment.

This is what happens when you game on DnD

Don't game on DnD, kids

I would smite it in game with as much prejudice and malice as possible.

Then I will smite my DM with equal prejudice and malice.

There's a good goddamn reason I don't play D&D anymore.

>smiting an LG entity

You fall. Even if it is a dick move on the GM's part, you're still a damn paladin and should act as such.

not-evil demon is not a demon

See
LG or not, its a fucking daemon.

And you're still failing to live up to your paladin code
Enjoy your fall

Pretty sure it was evil.

She's actually LN.

>mfw everyone just assumes small demon summoned the army

Falling right into OP's trap

Explain who spent years summoning the demons then.

The baker's daughter

>She's actually LN.
Just like Morte is CG, right?

God Damnit!

I hate these threads. Demons are CE. No exceptions to that rule. If I see a demon it's going to be CE. If it has an artifact that changes it to LG it is still a demon and still CE. It would be like if I painted my face black and said I was a hood nigga. If a GM pulls this Loli good demon shit I walk from the table.

Fuck!

But, she's totally evil.

She's also good though

It doesn't matter. Just smite it.

But then you're attacking someone good without a just reason and you'll fall

Demons are not exclusive to your shitty, ancient skirmish wargame or its terrible morality mechanics.

Demons are sapient beings formed of concentrated malice. This means that, objectively speaking, they are evil. However, being sapient, they do have free will, and can thus forswear evil should it so choose. If, by its free will, a demon ceases to be evil, it also ceases to be a demon.

I'll take "things that never happened and exist only in OP's head" for 10 cents, Alex.
Because you can't sell that bullshit for more than that.

Fail on the villager's part to not notice a demon summoning and stopping it.

No idea if "good demon" is responsible for the summoning though, it never really says.

In the original moral compass of D&D atleast there was no in-between. There was only objective good and objective evil, so no it's not really any kind of trick.

Then again not everyone plays in an objective moral setting so

The reason is it is a demon. Demons are made to be CE. There's no morality compass for a demon unless your gm or players really want to fuck a sucubus. At the end of the day if we're talking D&D demons are always evil there's no reformation for them.

>b-b-but my loli demons.

Fuck off.

That's what makes me think the little girl demon wasn't responsible. Slowly building the town's trust over years, while being watched intently by everyone suspicious? Somebody would have noticed if she had a weird locked basement or wandered into the woods alone at night

Their ALIGNMENT is always evil, morality is a different thing.

>At the end of the day if we're talking D&D demons are always evil there's no reformation for them.

I'll take 5e has become subjective morality instead of objective for $500 Alex.

Try playing something besides D&D some time, kid.

But people almost universally associate "demon" with a malevolent entity. Making some steel donut setting where demons are totally good guys is just bad writing. You don't ham-fistedly change the accepted connotations of a subject and then thumb your nose at people who refuse to accept that.

I would never call a creature a demon or devil or any other kind of bogeymonster name if I didn't want my players to immediately assume it's probably evil.

Than don't play it?

Go play with your demon waifu in another game?

But only to deceive people, making her super evil.

I'll play what I enjoy mate.

1. Demons in-setting may be identified as such simply for being nonhumans who are antagonistic towards humans, without actually being intrinsically evil. Very common trope in Japanese media, for instance.

2. Gnostic theology portrays demons in a positive light because they're humanity's allies against a tyrannical demiurge. See WoD, for instance.

3. Demons are classified as demonic on religious grounds but the religion in question has no authority to make that moral claim. See Dragon Age: Origins, for instance.

>No exceptions to that rule

Aside from all the exceptions to that rule, of course.

The issue in D&D is that while demons are always made of evil (due to the subtype), they can be morally good which would make attacking them for no just reason an evil act
Likewise, you can get celestials that are made of good but are morally evil

We are talking D&D user, demons can be both good and evil there simultaneously, as with any outsider with a (subtype) opposite of it's alignment

I love these threads because they always make the lawful stupid posters sperg out

>We are talking D&D user
No, that's just you and the other whiteroom theorycrafting NARPfags. D&D does not have dominion over all forms of fantasy tropes, nor is it the 'default game'. It is a trash bin skirmish wargame with terrible mechanics and a genuinely retarded playerbase.

This post specified Chaotic Evil, which is an alignment from D&D, so yes, we are talking D&D.

>Demons are CE
And the point I was making is that NO, they are NOT, because demons are not some fucking subsidiary of D&D lore, they're a major part of human culture and mythology.

YOU FOOLS YOURE FALLING INTO OPs TRAP HE HAS ALL OF Veeky Forumss PALADINS RIGHT WHERE HE WANTS US

This. That's what struck me about it immediately after I went "ok obviously the lolidemon did it." If the spell took all those years to complete, she couldn't possibly have done it without the villagers noticing.

Is it just me or does this story kinda feel like a Veeky Forums or D&D version of a lafontaine fable? Bias and all.

>they're a major part of human culture and mythology
So?

You might hold the opinion that using the word demon to describe various non-evil spiritual entities is dumb, but people do it all the time.

There's no objectively correct portrayal of demons, only subjectively better and worse ones.

>That pic
MUH NIGGA

Just because someone is evil, doesn't mean they're going to kill you user.
I know many evil people who get by in society entirely on rational self interest.

Why didn't they send for a paladin to sort it out?

You can conceive absolutely any story in your mind's eye, doesn't mean it has a sufficient raison d'etre.

Because you never know if you're going to get an actual paladin, or some fuckhead who thinks he's a paladin.

It's not like a village that doesn't have access to Detect Evil is going to have access to Detect Paladin.

Not him, but if the paladin code actively stops me from helping people - then I don't need it. I don't need to be a paladin to be a hero.

Removing lawful good from the world is not heroic, ya donk.

>Helping people
>Killing someone who's good

>but if the paladin code actively stops me from helping people - then I don't need it
>killing a good person for no reason
>"helping people"
You're a terrible paladin and a terrible hero, too

Demons aren't good.

>lawful good

>someone who's good

>a good person

good people don't summon demon armies to enslave villagers imo

look, I just needed a couple succubusses, alright?
But then I wanted two girls instead of one, after that I wanted to try four, then I had eight succubi, then sixteen, then thirty two...

After a few years, before I knew it, there was a demon army.

Demons literally can not be good.

They can use people who are good, they can fool do gooders but they can not be good.

Even in dnd, most demons are not people who did some little bad thing in the past and got punished after death. Most demons came before reality even made itself stable to have mortals and only the worst of the worst get sent to the abyss to become demons. We are talking cannibal rapist clowns, genocidal maniacs and people who make coats out of baby skin become demons.

>good people don't summon demon armies to enslave villagers imo
The story doesn't give us enough evidence to decide if that was what happened or not.

I like good demons.

>villagers live quietly & peacefully for decades
>the demon lives alone in a hut at the edge of town where it can perform tasks (like summoning other demons) unobserved
>one day the villagers welcome the demon into their village
>literally less than a week later they've all been enslaved by a demon army

I'm sure it was just a coincidence.

Remember imperial citizens, purge first and ask questions never.

Evil always hides behind a veil of innocence.

>Demons literally can not be good.
>They can use people who are good, they can fool do gooders but they can not be good.
That's not true, though. gave examples of settings with non-evil demons, and they're a fictional creature, they are however the setting creator says they are.

In D&D specifically, it's quiet possible for demons (or any outsider) to be an alignment other that their natural one, it's just rare.

The old monster manuals used "Often X, Usually X, Always X" to describe alignments. These designations had specific chances associated with them, and even Always X was explicitly not absolute. The chances a creature that was "Always X" was something other than X were extremely small, but it was still possible.

Am I the only one that thought she escaped from the demon army?

It seems more like that's what happened.