Board Game General /bgg/

Last thread
Pastebin:
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Slept late no BGG, this is unacceptable. Whatcha playing? What's in the mail? Anything you saw in the news from GAMA last week that's got your attention?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/empires-of-the-void-ii
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

≥newb questions
Me me me! I post upside down last night on Earth pics.

Played one match of Elysium last night and probably came in third or last but I don't know because my friend pulled my board dumping my victory points into the banks. He knew I didn't win anyway so it didn't matter. I stole three of his victory points though and he missed first place, by one freaking point. I put on my slightly smug grin when I realized that I cost him the game. He regularly stomps my ass as the zombie player in lnoe.
>feels good bro
I have some newb qs, some just bgg related generic stuff, like I'm sure most of y'all prefer if we post pics it's actual bgg related pics, right? Any filler pics allowed? I've seen tons of bggs that never reach their image limit. Is it ok to post filler pics, sometimes?

>filler pics
I'm pretty sure I've only seen /bgg/ hit the image limit once in the 4-5 years I've been posting in it, and that was during pic related spam week. We tend to be a pretty relaxed general, so the only major complaints you'll see are
>shilling
>stop reposting this story
>that rec image is old and sucks
>your taste is awful/not a game

Long as you don't go too far afield with your posts you're fine, most of us are gamers period, not just board, but vidya/rpg too.

Played Twilight Imperium for the second time this weekend, though the first time was a complete shit show. 5 players, took about 9 hours on top of rules explanation, lunch and a practice round. I won as the nekro virus in 8 rounds though I could've won in 7 if I hadnt forgotten to steal tech when I destroyed enemy units as defender.
It was such a blast I could've easily played again the next day! A trashy, unbalanced and bloated game like TI3 has no right being so much fun.

I've got Epic, Jaipur, and some more ships for x-wing coming in the mail. I'm pretty excited for all of them

I know I should kys myself for posting kickstarter links but I really liked empires of the void (though it was flawed) and this looks like it fixes the "bugs", adds interaction and other good stuff. What do you think friends?
kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/empires-of-the-void-ii

>tfw there is no proper Godzilla fighting game with awesome minis

Instead we get that GKR garbage. Feels bad man.

I keep looking at this one too user. I've got Empires of the Void though I haven't had a chance to play it more than once. My issue is I've already got a couple of KS going and I try not to do to many at once.

Not with minis, but I still feel like Rampage fills this need in my collection.

We did. Though it's not a board game. Called Monsterpocalypse and Privateer Press shit on it and killed it. Only horrible part about the game was having randomized boosters.

If anyone did lisence a Godzilla game proper it'd probably be even worse than GKR.

Why?

Because
A. Most licensed games, especially ameritrashy ones with big minis, are shit.
And
B. GKR probably isn't as bad as you think.

Obvisouly in my mind the Godzilla game we'd get would be great. Why would I fantasize about a shitty Godzilla game?
I disagree on B. It may not be the worst game ever but I watched a bunch of videos and whoever pays 100 dollars for that is a moron in my eyes. Unless you really, really want those mechs. But as a agame it seems as dull as can be. Just a beautiful facade on a crappy foundation.

People have been being really vague with their complaints about GKR, honestly. I don't see anything wrong or stupid about the power management, the movement, the building tagging, the cardplay, or the cards being used as your life total.
Is it just the dice combat that's dragging the whole thing down for you? It doesn't seem that bad, the baseline attack is a a hit 83.33% of the time, and there's more than a few ways to make even that easier. And the hardest shot possible in the game is still a 42%, only a little worse than a coin flip, but enough worse than baseline to still make it worthwhile to maneuver so you have cover and the other guy doesn't.
haven't decided to back it, just think it bears more discussion than LOL DICE INTO THE TRASH

>Whatcha playing?
Got a few rounds of BANG! The Dice Game last Saturday with some friends who'd never played it before; they got it pretty quickly, which is a miracle considering I'm awful at explaining rules. There was other stuff, but one of them was tired so games night turned into film night.
>What's in the mail?
Nothing game-related, although I am thinking of ordering some brown counters so I can keep score with my copy of Poo: The Card Game.
>Anything you saw in the news from GAMA last week that's got your attention?
I don't even know what that is. Now, if it was news from GAMERA...

>bought online bf hanabi and carcasonne to play with his mum for his birthday

Gonna go see him and try take up some more games maybe soon...

In general I have no problem with dice whatsoever. I mean I backed Mythic Battles so I'd be a hypocrite if I shat on GKR for that. The thing is that the more a game costs the more depth and finesse I expect from its mechanics. MB also deals in dice when it comes to combat, but it's still very different imo not only because they aren't standard d6. You can gain or lose strength (adding/removing dice), you can manipulate the result, you have different kinds of terrain, you have different kinds of units and tons of 'em, you have a draft phase where you can counterpick, you have hand management and have to consider which power of which creature you want to use at which point, if you want to keep a certain unit's card in your hand so it can retaliate if it gets attacked, etc. It's feels like it has much, much more meat on its bones compared to GKR. For the same money.
In GKR you roll two d6 to check for hit, then the other player also rolls two d6 for defense and that's the entire combat. If the game was 50-60 dollars I could spare the money, but for a hundred bucks it just doesn't offer enough. At least in my opinion. I'm sure many people will love the gameplay and the cool mechs will surely contribute to the immersive feel of the game. It's just that I'm not a huge fan of how it resolves combat.

I'm looking for more two-player games. How is Memoir '44?

MB does get you a lot more plastic and unit options, that's certainly fair.
I don't think the combat resolution is any more intricate, though. The discarding dice to boost remaining dice doesn't actually add any decisions to the process as far as I can tell, but I could be wrong. It looks like you just roll, discard what can't hit to boost what might hit, and hope the exploding dice come up good.

Is zombiecide good? I bought Rue Morgue for 37 bucks used and it had a custom organizer made of nice posterboard and everything. Great deal, but I mostly bought it to use the minis in a zombie RPG i plan to run. However I have read the rules and the game looks really good (I got it 50% for the minis 50% for the actual game, because I enjoyed zombies!!!).

Any tips? I hate the way the rules were organized, I prefer breadth-first rules coverage rather than depth-first but that's just me. I think I understand how to play, it looks decent.

Can you fellas recommend some filler games for 2-4 players? Im torn between

>King is Dead
>Small Star Empires
>8 minute empires legends

Twilight Imperium
>Took under 9 hours, was fun.
Interesting - this directly conflicts with most of the reviews I've read from people that actually seem to play these games.

>Monsterpocalypse
I remember seeing that and being mildly interested.
How did PP kill it?

Boardgame waifu best waifu.
Mine got me the Predator Legendary Encounters game for my birthday.
Feels a lot easier than the Alien version we played previously, but that might just be the difference between two semi-experienced players and five barely-experienced players.

No idea, but Odin's Ravens is quick and simple but very enjoyable, and I really like Haru Ichiban.

PP shot for a movie deal and the like for it. Shortly afterwards they just shelved the game.

Iirc you can boost before or after the explosion roll takes place. Say you roll a 6, couple of 5s, and some lower numbers. You have the choice use the lower dice to bump up the 5s to make them explode, or save them to ensure the 6 hits.

I second that question.

I'm looking for some 2p games as well (can be just for two or at least very well scaled for two as mostly I've got only my gf to play).
No purely abstract not dominion please.

We enjoy neuroshima hex and carcassonne. We've also got smallworld but despite the fact mechanics scale well for two, the game itself is pretty boring with less people.

My next bet would be:

- War of the ring - we would enjoy the theme a lot and could be nice to play something more complex although the game time (3-4h?) may be a killer.

- Battle of five armies - Same as previous but shorter - kinda my favourite for now.

- Battlelore / Memoir - I really wanted to get these but then I played few rounds of GoT remake and I think I expected too much from that system before playing it. Maybe it's just this version that didn't fit my taste.

Looks like I'm shifting towards miniatures but these three just look like a solid choices with great accessories AND replayability.
What else could I go for /tg?

Been years since I played it, but there were definitely some fiddly/dumb rules I remember vaguely (hitting your teammates when firing into a space with them and zombies?). From what I understand even people who are meh on the series say Black Plague was a good rules/setting overhaul that makes it a solid game. That said part of me loves SDE 1.0 even though I know it's got serious flaws.

>GoT:Westeros
This was without question the worst thing ever, and isn't really a good representation of Commands & Colors system. They changed so much from the original system and it's not intuitive to C&C/Memoir/Battlelore players. There's almost too much going on for it to be decent, since the whole point of that system is to be a nice light game.

Results are 0-5, no 6's.
Order of operations appears to be:
>Roll
>Discard Blanks
>Discard Boosts
>Declare Which 5's to Reroll
>Reroll 5's
>Discard new Blanks
>Discard Boosts
>Declare Which 10's to reroll
>Reroll 10's
>Discard 0's
>Discard Boosts
>Check Results Against Target Defense

This does actually mean there's some risk evaluation choices to be made under some circumstances, but never if the target's defense is five or lower, if you only need to land a single wound, or some other corner cases.
Still, better than I thought.

Anybody looking forward to this?

There was a breif shitstorm when it was first announced about the game mechanics being super busted, and then nothing. But I've heard they revamped it to be at least a little less shit.

On the broader topic of 2p, there is SO MUCH out there that's good, that it's hard to get it into one post. Pic related started out as gf recs based off /bgg/ and my own experience, but more or less every game on it is one I still enjoy, and the wife does too even being a pretty solid gamer these days. Things that aren't listed but are also wonderful

>GIPF series
They're all wonderfully designed abstracts, simple to teach, good depth, and despite the fact they're not over the top produced design, they are gorgeous to look at. LYNGK is coming soon, and looks to continue the excellence, but YINSH is usually the one I recommend first.
>KOSMOS 2P Lineup
I dunno where to start on how awesome these are, except Tom Vasel just did a quick top 10 in the last month, watch it, I don't like his order but they're all great that he lists.
>War of the Ring/5 Armies
These feel so much like the stories it's not even funny, though the system does take a little while to grok, and it's not as streamlined as I'd like. They are brutal and very tough to win (as fellowship in War and Goblins in 5 Armies especially) but if you're a turbonerd, well worth trying.
>Rebellion
Same exact notes, it's Star Wars original trilogy in a box, and lived up to the hype for me. It's a bit halting when you go from command phases to combat, and it's pure ameritrash so it can be a bit rough on new gamers but fantastic.
>other stuff
I still love most of the games Days of Wonder produces, and while they're not all great at 2, most are at the very least good, and wonderful to have for when you have 3-5 sitting around the table. Also co-ops, people always think of co-ops as group, but I find them more fun with 1-2p, since you don't have a lot of shouting and they're easy to find in every difficulty, and thematic flavor out there.

Played Eldritch Horror, Hanabi, and Arboretum this weekend. Nothing in the mail right now, but another Eldritch Horror expansion is next on my buy list. It's a real hit with the grillfiend, and it's very nice to play a long form game with lots of storytelling with just two people.

Arboretum is fun but I honestly don't know if I'm playing right or not. There is a lot of shitting going on in such a simple game.

People who have played Inis, what is y'all opinion on it? I'm debating between Inis and Scythe, and don't know which one to get. I like the aesthetic of each game, and I'm thinking that Inis might be better for my group based on shorter game time and the tendency of them to get drunk while playing games.

Just played The Others 7 Sins as the Sin and loved it, are my taste shit and what expansions are the best to get?

Go get Scythe
Inis is quite frankly a fotm borefest that can't even get the visual appeal right.

How do I pre-order Kingdom Death.

Can I even pre-order Kingdom Death.

eBay.com

There has been a lot of things fixed up about it and rulebook-wise it's actually pretty solid. The problem comes in execution. It is WAY TOO FUCKIN LONG. Apparently each individual boss (of which 3 bosses make up a campaign) is 3 hours to get through. That's 3 hours from first tile to killing the first boss. That and the burning from both ends health/stamina system drives me mad. There's nothing thematic or fun looking about it.

>Whatcha playing?
Played Seafall, nearing the end but we've kinda known for a long time who was going to win. It's obnoxious that the guy who invested in research has such a ridiculous advantage. Now he has all but 1 of the veteran stats, he wins every other game by discovering an island which is worth an absurd amount of points, and all the remaining milestones are in his favor. I get to do fun stuff as the raid master and even now that he out ranks me in raw raid, I have the ability to take back all enmity at the end of the game.

Once it's done, I get to convince my friends to play other games. Dying to get Millennium Blades to the table again. Also played some rounds of Santorini to wind down afterwards. Someone finally drew Hectate. She's definitely one of the most fun gods in the deck.

Inis is a puzzle solving game where you have to find a way to accomplish something meaningful with whatever cards you got that round. Scythe is an engine building/economy optimization game where the threat of combat means you can't just willy-nilly build around the board without consequences.

If you don't think losing stamina means you're closer to death is not thematic then you haven't played dark souls.

*is thematic

Got Millennium Blades Set Rotation on the way
Also flirting with the idea of buying something in the Battlecon family, what's the best version to get ?

Counter point, if you run out of stamina you're probably bad at dark souls because of the stamina boosting gear+zero armour fast rolls is the best and easiest way to play the game.

Either War for cheapness or Devastation for content

I'd have to second what said. Though I personally would lean towards Devastation because of sheer content. Also has some of my favorite fighters

Thoughts on the Rising Sun expansion?

Anyone got some valid reasons to not back the game? I think I'm losing my strong will. It becomes harder and harder to resist.

I don't think being low on hp meaning I can't do any actions that turn sounds dark souls then you don't remember dark souls very well. Tie it to your defense, don't tie your life to your actions per turn.

>Anyone got some valid reasons to not back the game?
Already got Bloodrage, don't need the weeb knockoff.

On the topic of level 99 games, can anyone tel me a little about the Pixel Tactics games? I've considered getting them but are they enjoyable to play? How much staying power do they have? Are there flaws with the game mechanically? Is there one that you'd recommend over the others?

I've also eyed that game from time to time, would also be interested to hear any user thoughts on it.

Are there any other "recommendations based on x" pictures like this?

>implying doing challenging runs without that gear means someone is bad at the game
git gud

It (only one version in Germany) is enjoyable to play and it would have quite some staying power thanks to its depth, if I had anyone with whom to regularly play two-player games.
As it stands, I only get to play it very occasionally with complete newbies, which is rather iffy, because the game's strategy is rather opaque when you're just starting out.

>falling for the kickstarter meme
>giving money to jews for their overpriced plastic

Good goyim *rubs hands* buy it before the copies run out *slips shekels into coin purse* I promise this isn't cult of the new *posts 10 more stretch goals*

>Challenging
Dark souls is literally a game of running past stuff and avoiding everything when you get gud, which incidentally makes it easier.

Scrublord.

>trying this hard to come off as an edgelord about video games in a thread about board games
this guy's faggotry aside, anyone here have an opinion on what I should play tomorrow? Will either be cry havoc for the first time, age of steam for the second time, or lords of water deep for the first time

got any valid reasons to buy it other than the models?

No that guy, but I backed it because I really enjoy Blood Rage and love the idea of a similar game introducing a diplomacy mechanic and a little more depth.

>edgelord
>for telling you the game you struggled with isn't actually as hard as you made it out to be.
You may be retarded.

He's far from wrong. The edgelord would be telling you to best all enemies, perfect parries, fists only, final destination. He's just telling you the simple fact that "getting gud" actually means running and dodging everything non essential.

>he just can't stop sperging

But user, you're the one sperging and posting meme reaction images?

>really enjoy blood rage
>love the idea of introducing a diplomacy mechanic
we have basically nothing in common, but do you user

>no you
holy fuck I'm not even the guy you're arguing with but you just look dumber with each post, cut it out

back to board games: anyone here play new angeles? how was it? the whole "only have to beat one other player" thing sounds weird, how does it feel in practice?

It's ok user. We can play something else if you ever come to my game night.

Calm down.

>still refuses to talk about board games in the board game thread
whats your favorite game, user? what game do you think you have played the most?

Chill out buddy.

>still refuses to talk about board games in the board game thread
do you log your plays, user? do you use bgg or another site, or do you actually write it down somewhere? why do you or why do you not log your plays?

Pace yourself.

Does anyone enjoy Xia: Legends of a Drift System? I can easily get past the pretty minimal interaction, but the one thing that sounds like it would bug me is roll and move. It sounds like there's a way to compensate for bad rolls, but it still sounds infuriating upgrading engine and still possibly rolling 1s.

>still refuses to be a productive member of the board
who's your favorite board game reviewer? do you like them because you have similar tastes or just because you find them entertaining?

The ks xpac actually looks like it'll fix a lot of the stuff that people found wrong with it. Roll to move isn't to bad of a problem.

it has the same problem as twilight imperium, that being that you get to do all this cool building and planning but it's all for nothing if you can't roll well. i can enjoy these games if i go into them thinking of them as an experience meant to be enjoyed rather than a competitive endeavor.

sorry, haven't played
my favorite game is kemet. love the player created asymmetry and diceless combat. i think I've played splendor more than any other game
i log plays on bgg. mostly just because why not and i like to see how many games I've played and in what time period, etc. I'm not super anal about it or anything though and some of my play counts are estimates

my favorite reviewer is vasel because i think he does a good enough job of making clear what parts of his reviews are his personal opinions

i saw a game once that was cards with pictures of units and their stats on them that was basically a card based version of warhammer fantasy. anyone know the name?

Zombiecide has tons of quarterbacking. No player agency when everyone figured out your best move for you long before your turn comes up. You're basically a die chucking robot. It looks great and it's level up system is decently designed but I think lnoe is tons better in every way

Anyone play this yet? It looks like it could be awesome.

Haven't played New Angeles either, but a friend suggested sharing the purchase with two others, so I'm excited that's coming soon. In theory needing only to beat a single other person means that you have more freedom to negotiate stuff; where in other games you have to worry about all the other players, and eventually relent against one or two players because you just can block everyone, here you can just go after your target corp and offer beneficial stuff to the others for their co-operation. Plus the possibility for all but one player to win the game is pretty neat.

If you kickstart a board game you're fucking retarded.

true, it is an interesting take on semi-cooperative

Lords of Waterdeep, you will have a gay old time with 4 players.

Anybody backin thunderstone quest?

Not tryna shil or whatever just sayin theres 3 days left in case anybody wants to get in on it.

And for those of you who are already backers, im curious how you feel about the coop/solo thing. I personally didn't care for it at first but now im thinkin that'd be cool, why not.

I was so stoked about the whole yellow meeple thing lol sure it was kinda cheesy, but i thought it was so funny and i was super happy to see the "yellow knight" stretch goal.

I want it to be good. So we'll see.

Alright thanks! I can love a good ameritrash, just movement is the one thing I'm always worried about leaving to dice. Hearing the expansion is going to refine the game is a nice thing to look forward to, help cut out the cheese strats.

>I'm debating between Inis and Scythe, and don't know which one to get.
Neither. Wait two or three years for the hype to die down. Meanwhile get two-three year old games today.

> Needing an expansion for a game that's not even released yet.
Are you OK? See a therapist.

That's pretty fuckin expensive. I paid only $5 more for Blood Rage.

>Watcha playing
Played a few games of splendor and some hunters of arcfall tonight, kept it nice and light

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but do you guys have any guides on making a high quality board for a game? Currently want to give a custom board game during a family celebration, and most retail places I've found expect you to buy more than 500 units in a sitting. Since I only need at the most 50 units I concluded that maybe I can sit down and make them myself.

However most of the online resources I find are to make paper or very low quality boards just to pass the time. I want to make this a decent, usable gift.

>Whatcha playing?
played netrunner with my brother yesterday
been playing istanbul and race for the galaxy a lot lately. both are great fun.
>What's in the mail?
Assault on doomrock arriving on wednesday. it's the kickstarter version with all stretch goals as well as the expansion, all in shrink. super excited.
Aslo got 7 wonders duel coming in sometime. not sure when though.
not sure if this counts but i also backstarted thunderstone quest so i guess that eventually, although it'll probably be like a year.
to answer user, yes i do care about the coop, solo not so much.
>Anything you saw in the news from GAMA last week that's got your attention?
didn't check out any news on that

Is Star Wars rebellion good?

its good. the combat is mediocre but if you enjoy star wars you'll really like the game. its really thematic and the asymmetry is done in a very interesting way

>Anyone got some valid reasons to not back the game

New stuff has to validate its existence. NYT bestsellers don't stay bestsellers for long. Don't buy into new shit, wait a while and if it passes the test of time buy it.

Which one /tg?

Favors of one over another except the obvious gameplay time difference.

Eldritch horror is well scaled for just two? I know you just said that but doesn't it require at least 3 people, so playing with less you need to artificially do some actions?

Fighting to save/destroy Middle Earth > Fighting a battle.

battleground fantasy warfare

new games arrived today lads