What were they thinking?

What were they thinking?

You're a retard.

>still forcing this reddit trash
I wish we had mods.

That's actually pretty cool. I like it a lot. The WotC design team has been doing a fantastic job the last couple of years. Especially head of design, Mark Rosewater. Many people say he is responsible for many of the faults in the game, but most current problems are development problems. People should stop blaming him for so many things that aren't his fault. He really is doing his best and most people really enjoy my work. Rock on, Maro! You are a cool guy!

I wonder who can be behind this post.

As much of an apologist I am for the guy, this pasta never gets old

I really actually like the idea, where it's a completely different spell when cast from the graveyard... but the template is only slightly better than Kamigawa's flip cards.

>It's posted on mythic spoilers, magic spoilers and mtg salvation
>I-it is 100% fake, you reddit fag!

Well it's only a couple days old.

I like it, I know only like 12 cards will be this way. It's so when it's in your grave, you can line it up to stick out like a little book mark.

>Hey, Steve.
>Yeah?
>You know those Kamigawa flip cards that everyone hated?
>What about them?
>I bet you couldn't design anything more stupid than those.
>Is that a challenge?

Visual templating is ugly as sin, but I like the mechanic, and understand what they were probably going for. 7/10 on concept, but 4/10 execution. Hopefully the other Aftermath/Consequence split cards push into more interesting design space.

Variations of Maro doing wotc shilling have existed for a while.

>better than flip cards
Kill yourself.

I don't speak fucking spick

That's Portuguese dumbass.

>Dusk 2WW
>Sorcery
>Destroy all creatures with power 3 or greater

sideways side
>Dawn 3WW
>Aftermath (cast this spell only from your graveyard, then exile it.)
>Return all creature cards with power 2 or less from your graveyard to your hand

The visual templating is stupid, but it helps retards remember that it's in their graveyard because you're intended to stick it in sideways.

>spick
Is this bait, or are you genuinely too stupid to know how to spell spic?

Also, that's Portuguese.

Do people here not like Maro?

Not generally. He's a hyperactive spaz in terms of his personality, he's Lead Designer so he's got at least some direct say in what mechanics ultimately do and don't end up in a block, he's Jewish which some people like to take offense to, and he's the public face of the game, which makes him an easy target.

He's okay, like a 6.5/10. He interacts a lot with the community and is generally likeable and positive (that is, not cynical nerd #563585), but I don't agree with all of his decisions. It's also interesting to get the occasional glance into his family life to see how a well adjusted nerd turns out as a parent.

That sounds actually pretty positive considering this is Veeky Forums.

Veeky Forums just likes to meme it up.

I have a pretty favorable opinion of him, but I don't think I'll ever be over the trauma that is hearing his voice for the first time.

yes: the template is better than flip cards.

have you ever palyed with flip cards? nothing can really compare.

I liked this shit better when it was just rules text on a regular card. I don't understand how this can be better?

they want to do cool things every set, they try hard to make player " feel the mechanics" by putting them onto cards.
sometimes it works ok, half of the times it's retarded.

i hope they will give up on dividing the card space into more subsections, because it's going nowhere good. transform card with text on the back at least look fine.

Compare Geistblast. They cannot put extremely powerful effects on the graveyard portion if it's uncounterable. This offers the ability to put two strong spells together, while keeping them in check by having them both be spells.

you can word it with
[effect1], if you played this from your graveyard [effect2] then exile this.

you may play this rom your graveyard by paying [cost2].

which also offers some interactionw ith cards that let you play stuff from your graveyard.it definitely doesn't take more text space than that awful thing.

>hey guys I was thinking in the next set we should have the players cast spells from the graveyard!
>oh wow we are gonna do flashback again? It's been a long time but people are gonna be excited to see one of their favorite mechanics come back
>y-yeah y-you too

The way you worded it interacts weirdly with Snapcaster and other graveyard-cast effects and you missed the instead clause.

>[effect 1]
>You may cast this card from your graveyard for [aftermath cost]
>If you cast this card using [aftermath], instead [effect 2], then exile this card.

That's still clunky as shit. You cannot have any kind of complexity in either effect. This split way is clear if nothing else.

Flashback would have come back in Shadows block. You can stop crying about it.

I hate NWO so fucking much

Obligatory.

NWO is shitty because it prevents us from having interesting commons anymore, and that's shitty for sure. But NWO has literal nothing to do with these aftermath cards, and I can guarantee you they'll all be uncommon or above.

I know, right? It's not even in English!

The pushed/not pushed concept is what keeps us from having interesting commons. Cards like thraben inspector are interesting commons that don't break NWO.

The major issue is that WotC wants to decide what the format looks like by fiat, and you can't predict a metagame of 1000+ cards, so WotC makes sure that 10/20 cards are "pushed" and the rest are garbage.

>Flashback should have come back in Shadows block.
Ftfy

From the post I was replying to:
>The visual templating is stupid, but it helps retards remember that it's in their graveyard because you're intended to stick it in sideways.
That is a direct consequence of NWO, in the old days they would've called the card "Dusk and Dawn" and given it a more complicated flashback text.

So ugly that I'm taking a break from Magic until these stop being used in any format.

Is that Catalan or Provençal?

What the actual fuck?
Why not just
>Sorcery: Do this thing
>Flashback
>If ~ was cast from your graveyard, do this other thing instead

They had a cycle of these in Dark Ascension, why not just bring that back instead of making the stupidest fucking card template ever made?

Portuguese.

Card names matter, the two sides can be different card types, various ways of interacting with cards that let you cast other cards for free.

>the two sides can be different card types
This is the only reason I can get behind for this godawful formatting, but I'm willing to bet it won't happen. Don't want to spook the newbies and casuals with all that scary complexity, do we?

Maybe not in Amonkhet but they always get a little bit more creative in the second set of a block. So in Hour of Devastation....

>Portuguese
Even more of a shitty meme language than two tongues without nations! How abhorrent.

Craning my next (or turning my cards) to read the aftermath is going to give away my hand.

*neck

>Card names matter, the two sides can be different card types, various ways of interacting with cards that let you cast other cards for free.
Never thought of that. A creature who becomes a spell, or spell which becomes a creature...

>Portuguese
>meme language

What are you talking about?

The concept is solid, but it could have been a normal dual card like Fire/Ice and such, what makes this card work differently is the Consequence ability, not the fucking wonky frame.

He's also super anal about NWO and the color pie, which generates some tension when people express their love for cards like Chaos Warp, Song of the Dryads or Hornet Queen and he screeches autistically about how we're having bad wrongfun.

>Chaos Warp, Song of the Dryads or Hornet Queen and he screeches autistically about how we're having bad wrongfun
What, so is MtG just supposed to be a game of critters attacking and direct removal/strength and toughness modifiers?

More like, an instant that becomes a sorcery, or vice versa. Split cards have traditionally always been non-permanents.

Unless you're playing blue, yes. That's how Maro sees the game in its ideal state.

>if it's uncounterable
This is something I've never understood. Why does it matter if something is immune to only one part of only one color?

>chaos warp
Maro wants that to be blue

>song of the dryads
Maro wants that to be white, although probably not a forest but just to tap for mana

>Hornet queen
Maro wants that to be black

>one color

>Song of the dryads
>maro wants that to be white
Imprisoned in the Moon is Blue, user.

I guess, but it's serves mostly as a pacifism effect.

Similar in a way to Darksteel Mutation and a lot of other white cards.

Feels more like a white effect historically.

It's made to be easily readable while in the graveyard, thus eliminating the stupid graveyard pile shit we had with GB Delirium in Standard where people were too stupid to remember a number.

I understand. It's still going to give away my hand if I ever need to reread it.

You don't need to worry about what the flashback half does until it's in your graveyard :^)

No, he just doesn't want those particular effects in those colors. Chaos Warp gives red enchantment removal, which it isn't supposed to have. Song gives green creature removal that doesn't rely on it having a bigger and stronger creature, which it isn't supposed to have. And Hornet Queen is a green flyer, which it isn't supposed to have outside of cycles of dragons.

At least it isn't DFC or Split.

So, are we moving on to
>it's basically just flashback?
from
>it's basically just kicker?

He's more of a scapegoat if anything. Of corse, it doesn't help that he's like the main guy who gives PR shit.

Don't forget it's literally Affinity.

You act like the lack of complexity at common hasn't fucking ruined limited too.

But you're completely aware that people are just referring to the general shift in Rare/Mythic Rare design philosophy.

Catalan has a nation but not an independant state you sperg

That isn't NWO.

You know what he meant, blasts are as valid argument as colorshifted cards.

T. Triggered bbc loving lispy kikr

You mean improvise? Convoke works better.

This will make mill decks strong once and for all

And somehow despite that, they still got printed that way.