GM or DM?

GM or DM?

Referee

GM is a general system neutral term, DM is specific to D&D and various associated fantasy RPGs. Lots of games use their own variation, but GM is best used for ease of understanding outside the context of a specific system.

Master of Ceremonies

That only applies to a specific subset of games catering to a specific playstyle, it's not generally applicable in the same way GM is.

Narrator or Storyteller

Speaking of, would people prefer new games invent new terms ("Storyteller," etc) or just use GM?

GM, generally.

I find players always forget/sideline the game's new term in favor of GM. It's just an ingrained part of TTRPGs by this point.

I won't fault games for creating their own unique term for it. I will fault spergy GMs who get buttmade when someone doesn't call them the "Storyteller" or "Dice Lord" or whatever.

I don't really mind. As long as it's clearly presented early so the terminology isn't confused and its usage within the game books is consistent, trying to add a little flavour to the system with a new term doesn't do any harm. Generally I'd just stick to GM though.

Just shitposter

I just like the sound of dungeon master.

This, basically.
I prefer the sound of DM though, if that's part of the question.

>I prefer the sound of DM though, if that's part of the question
That's part of the reason I asked the question actually, GM sounds less natural to me.

GM reminds me G-man, which is rather appropriate when playing Shadowrun or any cyberpunk setting really.

What are some other odd terms for GM you've seen?

Nobilis used Hollyhock God, which is a bit of an odd one but fit in the context of that weird, beautiful and nigh on unplayable game.

Legends of the Wulin uses Wulin Sage, which is a lot easier to understand if a bit odd in terms of the settimg/implicit mythology, since the game also includes a loresheet referring to the Wulin Sage as an actual person in setting.

>Within Shen Zhou, there are whispered rumors about a Wulin Sage, sometimes also simply called the Sage (not to be confused with just any old sage – this is the Sage we’re whispering about). This mysterious figure is said to influence all conflicts, all deaths and alliances, all happy events and calamities. For what purpose? None but the Sage knows that. The rumors are true, up to a point: the Game Master in this game is referred to as the Wulin Sage.

QM

Made me think of ss13

Friend Computer

GM to sell stuff to everyone and not have exalted and Pathfinder kiddies feel inferior.

DM for DnD.

Maim master.
Or Aedile if mom is upstairs

_______ __ ___ _______.

The Necromancer.

In my country, there's plenty of cunts who use those as a sign of being a "true" roleplayer.

Yes

Yes

Mister Cavern

does it matter, Khorne?
As long as everyone knows what is meant it's your own decision which to use

GM. DM is specific to D&D, much like the Announcer is specific to F-Zero RPG. I let it go though, since D&D is often the game most people are familiar with.

Someone post the screencap of the one user sperging out over people calling themselves a game master instead of "A facilitator of role playing experiences"

King of pretend

Trips of truth, GM confirmed.

Keeper of Secrets

Aedile

Daddy

At least that's what he makes us call him...

I think DM sounds a lot cooler. Plus I shine and have the most fun when making and breathing life into dungeons.
The translations in my language all suck though, so I stick with the equivalent of GM.

New game terms aren't doing any harm but they're still silly as hell. It's like renaming strength and charisma are "vim" and "pulchritude" just to be unique, no one is going to use the new names. (If it's tongue in cheek that's fine though.)

I just go for Master.

IIRC DM is literally copyrighted. It's a thoughtcrime to use it without Hasbro's permission.

Therefore, it is GM (or Referee).

> unholy abomination
Kys.

> Speaking of, would people prefer new games invent new terms ("Storyteller," etc) or just use GM?
Unless the role is radically changed, I'd prefer people to stick to GM.

It doesn't matter.

Dragon Master

GM on the streets, DM in the sheets.

Other terms are pretentious. Just use gm.

I will now strictly enforce at my table that the players refer to me as the Dice Lord.

Coming up with a new name for it that still shortens to DM or GM is the true masterrace

This.
MC for the win.

AM

>That's part of the reason I asked the question actually, GM sounds less natural to me.

>GM reminds me G-man, which is rather appropriate when playing Shadowrun or any cyberpunk setting really.

Personally, when I hear or read "GM", my mind goes to cars rather than RPGs. But, barring any replacement terms (e.g. "Keeper" for Call of Cthulhu), I'd still use it for non-D&D RPGs, or when talking about RPGs in general.

This is the correct answer

>BBGM
Ugh

Arbiter.

> GM or DM?
"Host". And the players are "clients".
I mean, fucking duh.

nice

>Other terms are pretentious.

>Why do you use the term "Creator", and is it blasphemous?

>The term "Creator" refers to the person who runs the show, sets the scene, and moderates the game for the rest of the players. Unlike other Fantasy Role-Playing games, which may employ such terms as "Keeper", "Game Judge", and even "Dungeon Master", we use the term "Creator" to describe in the most illuminating terms the true role of the "dude who runs the game." And, no, it's not blasphemous at all. In fact, it's really one major-cool compliment. Consider this deeply...

I'm probably just going to say GM, so it's better just to stick with that. But it doesn't really matter much either way.