>Pastebin with resources:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12574247
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I do not advise you running this gimmick, at least in Curse of Strahd. There are two reasons for that.
1) Unless my memory fails me, foreign languages never come up in Curse of Strahd. You'll have no opportunities to show off your gimmick.
2) You are a cleric, and you have Comprehend Languages as a spell.

Yah Barovian is Common language

If you want to help your friends be a Paladin and solo Atrahd or be a cleric and destroy all the undead

How viable is the Oath of Treachery? What are good options for multiclassing with it?

strawpoll.me/12574247

Poll for the new UA.

Damn it, I didn't see that spell. Well I guess it doesn't let me WRITE in those languages.
>I'd say go for it, being an investigative professor type fits the horror genre, and you'll know all the secret techniques to ward off monsters.
Except the only intelligence skill I have no proficiency in is investigation.

One thing that annoys me about the Knowledge domain cleric is that it still doesn't give you much incentive to upgrade intelligence, I always though the ability modifier for a Cleric should be based on their domain. Imagine War domain clerics getting their spell power from Strength, though I suppose that would take some re-balancing.

can someone explain why the giants skin tones changed so drastically between editions

I always thought that cleric's casting stat should be Charisma, and for paladins it should be Wisdom.
But maybe it's just my butthurt speaking, since I'm having a difficulty playing a preacher with measly charisma of 12.

For the same reason tieflings had all sorts of weird mutations in 2e, were simply humans with horns and tails in 3.5 and became redskins with horns, tails and hooves in 4e, basically indistinguishable from your average demon, which then continued into 5e.
Also, for some reason their charisma penalty became a charisma bonus.

> Want to be Assassin / Feylock for some d6 dice explosion
> Don't want to be faggot who multiclass UA

What should I do? Go back to Assassin / Paladin build?

can you misty step out of a rug of smothering

My team is headed to Goldenfields in SKT.
I was thinking of having them visit Grudd Haug (if the two places aren't geographically close to each other I'll be ignoring that) on a diplomatic mission to see if the hill giants are acting up. I imagine the dungeon is too much to handle at their current level if things go south and they will be forced to flee and perhaps prepare Goldenfield's defenses like normal.
Is this a bad idea? Am I asking for a TPK?

I feel you.
What domain are you though?

I think it would be fitting if, Divine domain used Charisma, Knowledge used Int, maybe Const for Life?

Comprehend Languages isn't a cleric spell, but you do get Tongues as a 3rd level spell

It doesn't so matter what skill you've got for what the archetype you're satisfying is, if you wanna play it, play it

>Also, for some reason their charisma penalty became a charisma bonus.

the reason is probably because someone figured they should make good warlocks

No, you can't use misty step while blinded.

Forge. And no, using physical stats for casting is a recipe for a disaster.

JST B SWSHBKLR 2 GT THT EZ SNEK BNS

Dat CON casting on Genasi tho

I'm running a little encounter practice, setting up for the BBEG fight of a short campaign I'm writing.

Unfortunately, CR calculators claim that the fight will be Deadly even for a party of 5 level 20 characters, and that is before accounting for the lair actions involved.

Looking at the fight myself though I find it hard to believe that a well stocked level 13-15+ party would truely struggle, so I'm going to write up some character sheets and have a buddy proxy-fight the combat a few times to see just how deadly it really is.

I hae a plan that I hope isn't too autistic sounding to afford them a spur of the moment long rest so they can clear the final dungeon most of the way, then get their full resources back and be able to tackle the final few encounters at full strength before the showdown.

So for the sake of having nothing else to do, hit me with some interesting or not-so-interesting character concepts for me to write character sheets for me to stat up and write a party or two to see if this fight really is too much for a group of level 14's and what extra help they need.

Class, Archtype, maybe some themes of what abilities or fighting styles or possibly magic items they might make use of? Trying to get the idea of a suitably "Randomly" and "Independantly" generated party that an actual group of players might pick, rather than me just picking five classes that will be biased towards my own preferences.

Oh, and no "Kobold Dragon Hunting Party."

I've got a much better idea - just gather a group of us and run a fight with /5eg/, user.

My sorcerer has now died twice, and both times gotten supremely lucky to come back.

First time I had a wild magic surge that let me reincarnate if I died. DM was open rolling for randomly targeted attacks, and they kept hitting my downed character. Came back up.

Last session we had it suggested we try and do a jewel heist, and on realising the situation was really not in our favour, we carried on with it anyway. I went down while the healer was down, and nat 1'd my second failed death save.
However, as I said, it was a jewel heist.
Our healer had revivify prepared, even though we didn't have a diamond... until we checked the stuff we took.

We did a ritual thing similar to what Matt Mercer does, and I needed an 8 to come back up. Lo and behold, I roll an 8.

That's nothing. You know how if you roll a 20 on death saving throw, you instantly come back up with 1 hp?
When I DM'ed Curse of Strahd, I've had our revenant paladin rise up three times in a single fight.

If I want easy sneak attack, AT is a better choice. Autocrits though...

Yeah I guess you are right, but I would still like to see some variation in the ability modifiers, even if it is only non-physical stats.
The flavour is important to me, I took Hermit over Acolyte even though I could have gotten two languages instead of 1, simply because I imagined this character as being a lone librarian of sorts for some massive archive hidden away for a few decades.

That being said, it would probably be best for me to just write it down and save it for a different setting.

That is an idea, I could throw something quick onto Roll20 I guess?

/5eg/ I'm in kind of an unusual situation as a DM. My players are being reasonable. They went in guns-a-blazing to the first combat of a large dungeon, a wizard's tower, after stumbling across a group of the wizard's apprentices holding a hands-on study session. Thing is, every single one of my players told me explicitly that they were not going to kill anyone. And they did it by the book, the final blows were all melee attacks, declaring nonlethal damage. The cleric then went around and cast Spare the Dying on them all for good measure. They just left the apprentices tied up and unconscious.

Notably, this is just a day after having slaughtered a goblin raiding party that they went out of their way to ambush. The wizard apprentices were all humans and half-elves.

I need suggestions on how to both reward them for not being complete murderhobos, and how to have this come back and bite them in the ass in the future. Any ideas?

> (You)
>Yeah I guess you are right, but I would still like to see some variation in the ability modifiers, even if it is only non-physical stats.

Fuck I meant and the second part was directed at

Anyone?
For reference I'm basically having a level 5 party walk into a dungeon meant for a level 8 party.

Sure. Do you use discord? Because if you coordinate through it, it will be much faster than through text.

You have 60 to explain whydon't have a +14 to you weapon attack at level 9

Thoughts on Acquisitions Incorporated?

I've been enjoying the podcasts/games for a few years. Regardless of your opinions of Jerry and Mike, or PA as a whole, I think they do a great job of putting on a show for something that is normally really hard to listen/watch. I have the hardest time trying to follow Critical Role despite its production, there's too many characters.

The "C" Team that just aired seems good, Jerry has great ideas but the new people, Especially Chris Straub, seems entirely too eager to laugh at their own jokes, which the Acq Inc proper shows usually mitigate with the help of Perkin's DMing.

Couldn't the apprentice give the party a cool magic item for sparing them which the master later comes to collect?

If the wizard is not actually a bad guy, have him reward them for not murdering his apprentices.
As for biting back in the ass, have one or two apprentices show up much later and be colossal dicks. Yes, the party didn't kill them, but they DID beat the shit out of them. Had to hurt.

I wouldn't punish them at all. They're doing some good shit. If anything, I would incorporate the fact that they spared them into giving them a helping hand. Grateful wizards that are happy they're alive, maybe one or two devoutly loyal ones that will never abandon their master.

The wizard offers them some gratitude for not killing his apprenticies and attempts to parley and agreement rather then rising straight to battle.

However, a one or two of the apprentice mages take their defeat as an insult and start a quest to get stronger and take revenge against the party where they failed the first time.

"What, you don't remember me?! I was top of my class, everyone looked up to me but even I couldn't defend my friends, I won't forget that and I'll prove to everyone just how much stronger I am now."

Jim is pretty much the only saving grace for that shit, Rothfuss is unbearable and makes the entire thing unwatchable.

Hey /5eg/, I've had a popcorn shell (those fucking brown flakes in popcorns) stuck in my throat for the last three fucking days, what the fuck do I do?

Also, how would your characters react to this fucking terrible situation?

Split my throat open and have the cleric dig them out and revivify

reach in and pull it out like a man.

Gargle saltwater?
Swallow gulps of finely crushed ice?

My character would take a long rest and hope I passed the Con save. Or maybe our party's Paladin could lay on hands?

Thoughts on War wizard? I like it

Better yet, get a paladin/monk to punch him in the throat while doing lay on hands. Dislodge it and heal at the same time.

Nah, I've used roll20 a little bit but only as a platform to put maps up for our IRL group and to get the odd single player to teleconference in.

Organising 5 other people might be a bit of a hassle for just practice runs though.

Stop being a bitch nigga

>eating popcorn, aka "garbage with salt"
>ever

How many sets of dice do you bring with you?

I bring 4 10-piece sets and I only use 1.

>Playing offline

What spell would be the most useful while browsing Veeky Forums?

I have one set of incomplete dice because I never use a d4.

Mindblank.

I'd say find traps

Lesser/greater restoration, to cure cancer.

Wew, this is a delayed response.

I know they're "bad wizards", but I find them more entertaining, and admittedly less effort to keep track of, since my mind is bad with that shit.
And frankly I'm just too skittish to check the gamefinder threads or Reddit, I've only played games with at least one friend in them, myself.
Honestly, I'd be playing even 4E if I could find a game for it, I just want A game period, but 3.5 or PF are just too much for my feeble brain to keep track of.
Heey, I was that user! Also, I'm dumb, what does this change other than the initiative thing?

So hey guys my party of level 5s are down a healer. How much would a Cleric order charge for usage or renting of a healer? Per week? Day? Month? What are the hassles of over coming/hiring a healer besides their alignment, safety, and maybe them wanting a cut of the profits. Any ideas? I'm thinking about 900gp a month for a 3rd level cleric? Does that seem fair? Any help would be appreciated.

A damage powerhouse to spit high numbers.

A Wood Elf, Champion Fighter, Sharpshooter with an Oath-Bow.

Why are they down a healer

Tiefling devotion paladin with spell-guard shield.

Why not kidnap a Cleric from the local church, cut off their legs so they can't run, suture their arms to their chest (but not their hands, dem Somatic components) so they can't run away, force a luggage handle into their back (preferably stuck to the spine), then force them to be your healslut?

Hello, Virt. Get the fuck out of here.

They are down their healer because some of the party have a tendency to act like but of course not to that extreme.

Not a clue what it changes my man, but that's the newer version. You should try and find a game either way, worst case is it fails.

Try playing without a friend too, you're much more prone to making new ones.

Not really fitting but just cruel. A Kobold wild magic sorcerer who thinks their a Draconic

Oh wow. I'd suggest that a character multi class to heal until they find a real new one

They are considering hiring one. I need advice on how to approach it.

It's an evil cleric, who's not taking shit from them.

Tiefling, Fiend Tome Warlock (Shocking Grasp, Shillelagh, Spare the Dying)

Hex + Scorching Ray/EB

Have them get turned down by all the honest clerics (if they fail their checks) so they have to go to the really shifty cleric in the dark alleyway who overcharges

>him
Did you just fucking assume my gender?

Nah I'm joking

Because inflict wounds can be cast as well as cure wounds.

I really wish there was a way they could permanently ban him, for good.

Their concept is good. I would prefer if they stuck with advantage / disadvantage proficiency bonus, instead of reverting back to their "minor + bonus everywhere, enjoy doing math homework and slog down the game" way of 3.pf

Ah sucks, I'm a different user who'd be down to clown. I've been recently released as a forever DM so I've been dying to play out all the characters I've created.

Well that's when you get a working one!

Same here.

Why do channel divinity uses not stack for cleric/paladins?
Doesn't seem necessary for balance at all. They could have just not let you use the cleric uses per rest for the paladin ability and vice versa.

Because we can never have any fun

I'd suggest rather than a flat fee, a percentage cut of the loot.

200gp donation upfront to the church a Priest (Cr2) will acompany them on adventures, bringing his two Mastiff hounds with him. He will of course, not leave the camp or follow them anywhere particularly dangerous unless absolutely needed, but will offer his full application of healing and restoration spells to the party.

He will also demand an equal share of any treasure or loot gathered by the party to be delivered to his church in tithe. If the party get 1,000 gold worth of treasure and there are four party members, they each get 200 each and 200 is given to the Priest.

If pressed into combat by the hapstance or by demand of the party he will demand a double-share, one for himself in addition to the church tithe. Of course he won't demand this for say, helping defend the cart against marauding bandits who ambush the wagon but he may demand it if say the entire group is captured and have to fight their way out, or if the players demand he join them to clear a haunted graveyard.

He may also spend his downtime crafting the occasional healing potion or vial of holy water which he will give to the party to help them along, sort of helping them earn back some of the value of treasure they are dishing out to him but still keeping him as being a general expense.

Obviously if they waste more than a couple weeks without any substantial reward, he may request a stipend payment every now and then.

>Guys, any ideas on how to make gnomes less fucking ridiculous in a setting that's supposed to be a little more somber than the PHB's suggested ones?
Play Arcanum.
1/2

2/2

I wonder if the person who wrote this just took their anti-Semite conspiracy theory and threw it n the game.

Guess what senpai? Theruge wizards ability DOES stack.

So if you're a level 6 Cleric, and a level 6 Theruge, you should have 4 uses of your Channels, two Divinity and two Arcana.

If someone sneaks up to a sleeping monster or player, how do I set the DC for the stealth check? Passive Perception minus 5 (disadvantage from being unconscious)?

Wizards get everything.

>Never uses a d4
>Cleric never casts bless on you
You poor soul

What's the craziest way you've ever killed a giant

> That's NOTHING!
> I can top that with le 3 NAT 20s MEME!

Part of his was an interesting story.

I make the cleric roll it for me.

What about healing potions

Probably not a bad idea. RAW, an unconscious character/monster is unaware of their surroundings, so you might get some grumbling.

By enlarging, wrestling with, and eventually finishing him off by throwing him into another giant.

My party has never come into possession of one of those.

He has the cleric force feed him them.

>making others roll on your turn
But what if he didn't put his phone in the basket and is using it during other peoples turns?

This also has the potential for you to make illusionary-value to the cleric if you're not really that fussed about the price but don't want to give them the cleric for free.

Say you were going to give them 4,000 gold in treasure. Well instead, give them 5,000 gold. A thousand goes to the Cleric.

In your eyes, they are exactly the same as where you wanted them to be. In their eyes, they just lost a chunk of their treasure.

It's the old parable of railroading. They enter a room with three doors, A, B, and C. You want them to go through C first.

Don't have doors A and B locked, since this makes them feel forced. Make whatever door they open, open to whatever room or encounter you would have put behind door C.

Jesus fucking Christ how repulsive, I should play through Arcanum again just to exterminate every last fucking (((gnome))).

Anyway, I don't think D&D gnomes are ridiculous. Forest dwarves with mastery of illusions and one of the best races around.

>fighting frost giants on edge of large crater

>sorcerer starts trying to knock them in

>being a Druid I cast spike growth in the bottom of crater

>giants fall in

>giants climb out

>rinse and repeat

>once theyre near dead I shove a boulder on top of them

Most stealth checks are already gonna be vs someone with disadvantage, so this is kind of a bad deal.

I'll see if I can't whip something up quickly. Maybe a couple guys playing a pair of characters each for a part of 4-6 might be easy enough to handle on short notice.

The only languages I remember coming across in CoS was one single verse of Draconic.

Speaking a lot of jumbled together languages might give one the ability to understand the Vistani's patterna speech, but I have yet to have ever come across a single CoS DM who has read Van Richten's Guide to the Vistani, so no one will know what that is, or the preposterously rich lore that they have to offer.

The exotic races that might have a special language are pretty much just Elves, Hags, a Dragon, a Celestial, the Vistani, and Druidic and save for that last one, all of them do common.

Strahd speaks a surprising assortment of languages, one of them, Giant. Go figure

I mean, my party practically never sneaks up on enemies, so I'm asking mostly for ambushes against the party. If they're sleeping at an inn, for example, and assassins sneak in, what is the chance they wake up before having their throats slit for average 38 piercing + 24 poison on a failed save?