Veeky Forums, can we talk about vampires?

Veeky Forums, can we talk about vampires?
Or more accurately, vampire logistics?
In most works of fiction, it is implied that a vampire feeds on one full person's worth of blood per night to satisfy itself. According to the Red Cross,the average adult has about 10 pints of blood in his body. Roughly 1 pint is given during a donation. A healthy donor may donate red blood cells every 56 days.

With that in mind, to safely feed an adult vampire, it would require a group of ten adult servants per night, cycling around six times per year, for a grand total of roughly five hundred sixty servants per vampire. This is, quite honestly, unfeasible to character fed.
How do I improve these numbers?
Assuming we're using DND 4e rules, since that's the system the relevant game is in, a vampire's blood drain attack simply deals damage, so would healing effects allow for more frequent feeding? If so, how many healing surges does a level 1 peasant have, and would effects like the Bard or Warlord's encounter healing powers actually replenish the targets blood levels?

Other urls found in this thread:

hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/JonathanCheng.shtml
maynardlifeoutdoors.com/2010/09/calories-in-human-blood_15.html
quora.com/What-is-the-nutritional-value-of-human-blood
sciencefocus.com/qa/could-i-live-vampire-just-drinking-blood
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>In most works of fiction, it is implied that a vampire feeds on one full person's worth of blood per night to satisfy itself.
Do have sufficient evidence to support this assertion?

Cite references for your base assumption. Not the red cross statistic, but rather the dietary requirements of the vampire.

Assuming this figure is altered it can become more convenient for you. If you wish to preserve this figure then clearly there can be only two ways for a vampire to sustain itself.

One is to be wealthy enough to have a large number of servants. Some manner of count perhaps, with a large estate and many holdings.

Two, is for the vampire to be transient and migrate as necessary to fulfill their dietary needs.

In either case vampires could not be very common. This is good, because they should not be common. Even ignoring the difficulty of becoming a vampire just look at the way it works in nature with predator and prey. There need to be a lot more prey than there are predators in order to support a stable population, and therefore predator populations are small.

DEPENDS

ON

THE

BOGDANOFFS

WOULD

Can someone give me a quick rundown on the vampires?

>In most works of fiction, it is implied that a vampire feeds on one full person's worth of blood per night to satisfy itself.
The only one with numbers I'm personally aware of is NWoD, and there vampires need about one human's worth of blood a week, assuming mere survival. More if they get into fights or otherwise need to use their kewl powerz.

Which vampires? What setting? Which system?

We need details user.

>Rothschilds bow to vampires
>In contact with wizards
>Possess psychic-like abilities
>Control france with an iron but fair fist
>Own castles & blood banks globally
>Direct descendants of the ancient Cain blood line
>Will bankroll the first cities on Mars (Vladograd will be be the first city)
>Own 99% of DNA editing research facilities on Earth
>First designer babies will in all likelihood be eaten by vampires
>Malkavians said to have 215+ IQ, such intelligence on Earth has only existed deep in Tibetan monasteries & Area 51
>Ancient Transylvanian scriptures tell of two angels who will descend upon Earth and will bring an era of enlightenment and unprecedented technological progress with them
>They own Nanobot R&D labs around the world >You likely have vampires biting your neck right now
>The Vampoires are in regular communication with the Archangels Michael and Gabriel, forwarding the word of God to the Orthodox Church. Who do you think set up the meeting between the pope & the Orthodox high command (First meeting between the two organisations in over 1000 years) and arranged the Orthodox leader's first trip to Antarctica in history literally a few days later to the Bogdanoff bunker in Wilkes land?
>They learned fluent French in under a week >Nation states entrust their blood reserves with the twins. There's no gold in Ft. Knox, only Ft. Camirilla
>The clan princes are about 7 decades old, from the space-time reference point of the base human currently accepted by our society
>In reality, they are timeless beings existing in all points of time and space from the big bang to the end of the universe. We don't know their ultimate plans yet. We hope they're benevolent beings.

WE

You're right, I'll have to pester my GM for a number on the feeding rate.
I'm trying to figure out where I got that figure, but I may have pulled it out of my ass.

>a vampire feeds on one full person's worth of blood per night to satisfy itself
Not necessarily.

All you see is the vampire catch their victim, and the victim dying. All it takes to reliably kill someone is for them to lose more than 40% of their blood. And sometimes people survive a vampire attack, so it stands to reason that vampires aren't taking any more than that in a normal feeding. In fact, I would argue that the leading cause of death is probably loss of consciousness with an open wound to one of the major blood vessels of the neck, causing the victim to die from ongoing bleeding after the vampire has left them lying in an alleyway or whatever.

And just think of how much blood you're talking about. 10 pints is a fuckload. That's likely to exceed the combined volume of all the food and drink most people ingest over a whole day. There's no way a vampire is going to slurp that all down in a couple of minutes of neck biting. I'm guessing they drink more like 3 pints at a time, allowing for the occasional survival and accounting for the logistics of actually consuming the meal in the amount of time typically shown for a vampire attack in media.

And the Red Cross guidelines for blood donation are about health, not what is survivable. You can reliable survive losing twice that much blood, much more frequently. A vampire could probably make do with drinking from two servants a night and recycling them every couple weeks. So, maybe 30 servants could keep the vampire going, particularly if she occasionally treats herself to a fatal attack on a victim out on the town.

Thanks user

WUZ

ORKS!

how much fluid can an average adults stomach hold? that might be a better baseline for estimation

hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/JonathanCheng.shtml

> it is implied that a vampire feeds on one full person's worth of blood per night to satisfy itself
Nah. Just, nah.
I mean, consider the caloric intake.
maynardlifeoutdoors.com/2010/09/calories-in-human-blood_15.html
quora.com/What-is-the-nutritional-value-of-human-blood
sciencefocus.com/qa/could-i-live-vampire-just-drinking-blood

So, there's no way for a vampire to consume a lethal amount of blood unless they literally drink the absolute maximum volume that a human stomach can contain?

aye, and if they do, they're skulking off with a swollen, distended, stomach.

Yup, being a vampire's servant is a completely safe occupation. Just a little nibble on the neck now and then, and you get paid!

Vampires could never logistically exist, or at least the ones we see. Why do they need blood? Are they restricted to a purely liquid diet? If not then just buy red steaks and a blender.

>vampires could never logistically exist

I wonder who is behind this post?

KANGZ!

Quite literally

>Or at least the ones we see
Read more. A vampire that we normally see in media is one that must regularly suck the blood from a human until they're dry. A more realistic "vampire" would be one that needs to ingest blood on a regular basis as its core nutrition requirements. Maybe some weird mix of nutrients usually only found in blood? Even then animal blood would suffice. No need to put 1st degree murder on your rap sheet.
Allergies to the sun is an actual recorded phenomenon so they could have that.
They can also be albino
Red eyes are uncommon but present in albinos.

In most fiction it takes multiple feedings, across multiple nights, for a vampire to kill a single young girl.

Dracula and Carmilla are based. I don't know why the Anne Rice mass-murdering vampires became the norm when it makes so much less sense.

What gothic horror would Kotobuki-chan be?

but did rice reference that fact with the whole " dont take to much or you may die to' in the interveiw?

This is partly why my sortavampires shunt all the blood to a secondary circulatory system that regularly ejects the unnecessary bits. On the flipside, now they can fire blood from their psuedowings.

Go read Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Count Dracula drinks blood as a way to drain life, the blood is just a medium.
He also has a handlebar mustache and unibrow is unharmed by sunlight.
Dude wasn't even nocturnal, though he did have to stay up to use magic (sunlight dispelled it).
Most of Dracula's powers (including draining life) were magic spells he learned at Scholomance,
Same deal for his taboos, they had nothing to do with being a vampire.

Most of the things Van Helsing tried (wooden stakes, garlic, etc.) were just him testing shit (to little effect).
In the end, they kill Dracula by stabbing him with knives.