Tell us about your first group user

Tell us about your first group user.

What was it like?

Years ago. Decades now (holy fuck)
Passive aggressive, bunch of hicks who couldnt roleplay their way out of a paper bag
GM with a god complex and no real critique of his special system
They have an established monty haul game running for ages through multiple systems. They 'let me in fairly' at about level 6 in Dnd 3.5

UGH

Such overhyped shit. But it was formative. Fun in a way. Otherwise, why would I be here running GURPS games as well as I do?

Played with a fat neckbeard guy who was demoing DnD at my local game store

I was literally 10 at the time, had no idea what I was doing and played a rogue.Honestly I can't remember anything about the session other then that. Also there was like 10 fucking players and combat dragged on forever. Looking back I had no idea how I enjoyed it enough to stick with it for 15-odd years.

A bunch of theater fags in high school. We played Ars Magica. Went pretty well.

It was, like, thousand years ago, when I was playing 3.5. I've obsessed over the game for a long time then, but never got any opportunity to actually play it.
The party consisted from an elf rogue, human sorcerer and a half-elven cleric, I was a kobold fighter with two Toughness feats.

Couple of decades ago. As a child I, of course, wanted to play a child. Specifically a half-elf druid in chainmail, with a longsword, and a tower shield. I asked if I could have a woodchuck as a pet.

With the acceptation of my best friend, (who also played a half-elf child, a fighter in chainmail, with a greatsword) everyone else was an adult. My best friends father, who DM'd, his mother, who played an elf caster, a family friend who played an elf monk, and my dad who played a human bard.

We waged a war against the forces of a tyrannical hobgoblin and his army. I might write an adaptation of it some day.

Been a good decade now, met them by having D&D books in my bag (I liked to read them even if I didn't have a group) and got invited to play at the FLGS. I was in a different area of the country at the time and was going through a mental health crisis and ended up coming home to my folks. I miss those fuckers, but we keep in touch.

They were wonderful in every way. They took me in and taught me how to play 3.5 and Pathfinder, which inspired me to go on a five year journey making my own game out of the love of the craft.

I started with a dm who ran a 4th edition game and it was already started when i joined and they were around level 10 and the dm forced me to start at level 1, looking back on it i dont know why i kept playing with them. Also the gm never roleplayed just said "we are fighting x monsters" and we fought, it honestly felt like a mmo. Not to mention he leveled his gmpc outside of normal sessions, looking back i realize how shit he was.

It was cool, I was in 10th or 11th grade when I finally found my first irl group. I was by far the youngest, the others were easily in their 30s or older. The DM John was exmilitary and a family man. he always had snacks and would even cook some times and if a game ran late he would drive me home so my parents didn't have to pick me up. his daughter would watch and she wasn't annoying, she even joined in some of our later games. then there was my favorite player, Eldrich. we could play off each other pretty well, especially as dwarves. there were a few other players but they didn't really leave much of an impression other than they were there. all in all it was really fun and a great learning experience for me.

Bunch of my high school friends.

The games were fun and I have good memories of our handful of sessions, but everyone was chaotic stupid at all times to the point where I couldn't run any sort of plot. I'd just set those fucks in some fantasy town in a setting that was so generic that there was barely a name for a town, but that's all they really needed before they set off to rob banks, steal ships, or botch a kidnapping into a murder and several dead guards.

It was not what I expected.

One guy's character was a cat man that did drugs to gain super speed. He said that it was based on his Morrowind character. The other guy was a wizard that used sleep spells to incapacitate people and then undress them because he thought it was funny. I played stoic fighter dude #1360.

Our first quest was some bullshit about a flying ship, but the GM chucked it partway through so he could shoehorn in his Mary Sue as the antagonist, a nearly indestructible "magic golem" that was also gay. Whenever we were close to defeating him, he'd pull some bullshit and escape. We also fought a gigantic flaming skull that kept a harem of topless slave girls, razed a village because Wizard thought the village's name was ugly, and traveled to notRavinca to join the notGruul.

DM would make recurring references to Meat Loaf songs and one time played his CDs during a session. During that session, if he thought someone was annoying or wanted them to shut up, he'd turn up the volume or start singing along in a very loud and obnoxious way.

We stopped RPGing because GM said it was too much hassle. I still hang out with them sometimes. We just play stuff like Tiny Epic Kingdoms and Sparticus now.

group of my big brother's friends and his girlfriend. I was invited to play because I was home.
They constantly broke character and fucked around on their phones and laptops.
I didn't own a laptop and my phone was dead so I paid attention to the game the whole time and the GM liked me.
I was never invited back because my brother hated me and they only did their game one time at my house because his car broke down.

I've never had another IRL game ever since
that was over 12 years ago now
online games are just not the same

First group was weird one. We had me, who was a totally inexperienced DM (none of us had ever RPG'd before and somebody had to try it first) but I handed it over to my brother partway through. We also had an older guy and his mom. Older guy played ninjas or whatever he thought was most like a ninja in DnD (assassins, rogues etc.) and used exotic weapons whenever possible. When I wasn't DM I was either a Druid or a merman with legs. the druid died in one campaign and we never brought him back. My brother also liked druid (shapeshifting into a wolf was cool for him) but he also played as a fighter who was also a werewolf and tried out a wizard and a cleric once. Older guy's mom always played paladins, didn't quite get the rules half the time and kept asking when we were going to fight giant spiders. She was nice and brought snacks all the time though.

My first official group (I am only counting the first group where we actually played the damn game) was a every other weekend game run at a work camp i had gotten into just after highschool. it was a huge as fuck group. 33 people in all including myself.

It was 3.5, we were split into groups of 5, each group having a DM, and then those DM's had the master DM. it was a very high lethality game of paladins, barbarians, fighters, and rangers where there was GUARANTEED at least 1 death every game. It was basically fantasy starship troopers.

Played that for 3 years while working at that camp. best 3 years of my life

>2001.
>D&D3.0
None of them had ever played before.
I had only played a few sessions of 1on1 2eD&D with my dad.
I GMed.

First few sessions, I attempted to run Sunless Citadel. they murdered eachother over the treasure, repeatedly. I think we went through 12 characters in 3 sessions.

After that, they worked together enough to finish the dungeon, then they went back to town.

They abandoned any plots about heroism. An evil wizard terrorizing the town? They poisoned the local water supply, because a wizard doesn't have the purify spell. They don't tell the town or take credit for it. Dozens die. Then they storm the tower and bring out an already dead wizard's head, which they removed with an axe, to collect their reward. They then proceed to go be mercenaries and start an organized crime syndicate.

So that's what I ran for them, an improvised game about building a crime syndicate, and the authorities chasing them. They had a blast.

Some of them apparently regard that as the best campaign they ever had. Apparently their later GMs (we moved apart after highschool) were very railroady and insisted they play proper heroic knightly types.

8 people sitting around a puzzle that i made way too hard for 2 hours

Roll20 group. They mistook me for an another player and gave me his character. I got converted by the dwarf paladin, raped by the human barbarian and by a giant centipede.

On the one hand, they introduced me to D&D.
On the other, they made me bitter and paranoid to this day.

One or two years ago, since I'm new to the hobby.
>Lawful neutral Orc fighter (Me)
>Chaotic neutral Human rogue (my brother)
>Neutral human wizard
>Uh, a ranger with a wolf I think?
The last two and the GM were my brother's friends. I was in uni, everyone else in their last year of HS.

We played the Forgotten Chronicles starter adventure, setting was Wesnoth. I got to do some rad stuff like jump from a balcony and land safely, sword first, on an ogre's back.

At one point everyone tried to seduce the innkeeper's daughter and roped me into trying my luck too. It was pretty funny, if embarrassing, when the DM vaguely described my orc fucking her upstairs.
Then my brother's dickass hobo thief told the innkeeper. One failed diplomacy roll later, my orc fled to sleep outside. Next day he sneaked back into the inn and personally woke up the thief with a bucket of ice cold water.
>Be grateful, it was only water! Bwar har har!

The most memorable part of the game to me, was when I got to play MVP during the finale. A necromancer was doing a ritual to drain the souls of children and become a lich, and were all pretty low on health, low on time, and desperate.

I decided to make a last-ditch attack and take one from the team. It turned out the necromancer was also weakened, but one round away from finishing the ritual. My character was hurt by necromantic backlash and fainted. The others carried him back to the village. According to the DM, he could have died there. I was almost sad he had't, but it was a pretty amazing finale either way, and my orc went on to help Kapou'e unify glorious Orckin.

Pretty standard shit, I know. But it was a damn good first time and I figure Veeky Forums doesn't mind too much detail. A second session was planned, but my brother lost interest and his friends got busy. I made friends with the DM though, and recently joined one of his campaign. It should be pretty cool too.

Now that's nice.

Roll20 game we're setting up for next week, GM is only one with experience in tabletop.
It's 5e.
And i don't even know how to make a character and don't want to bother him too much over it.

Started DMing a 4e game somewhere around a year ago for various friends who shuffle into or out of the party. Half of them know what they're doing, it is fun every month or so when we play. I myself just joined a team for my first time paying. A group on /r9k/ that formed during a thread.
> High Elf Bard (Me)
> Minotaur Barbarian
> Wood Elf Druid
> Human Fighter
The Minotaur became a milk-drinker, I sung our secret mission to a bar, we all almost fell into a sewer because the Minotaur needed to be heaved out after falling in, general goofs and gaffs of a new party. Good time.

Two italians phd student, another phd student, an engineer, and myself in a lost mines of phandelver 5ed d&d. Then the DM started writing his thesis and didn't have much time.

One of the italians was chaotic stupid but regularly beaten by the more lawful members of the group. We played 4 months in that campaign and then the DM

Did you try reading the player handbook?

I played Vampire: Dark Age almost 15 years ago. Just one session and the group fell apart. But it was kinda cool. Relaxed session about a group of vampires coming up together.

5 years ago, my interest in TTRPG started raising, so I bought Pathfinder and convinced my friends to give it a shot. And they loved it.

5 years later I'm so fucking tired of Pathfinder I think it wasn't a good idea. I'm trying to switch to Mutants and Masterminds because I like crazy action, but I'm DMing and I think I'm going to fuck up the balance at some point

About 4 or 5 years ago I was in highschool and my friends and I decided to make a tabletop group.

There were a few extra people here and there, but for the most part it was the 4 of us who made up the core group.

Our GM failed multiple classes already due to being in rehab in and out throughout the school year. He had a crack addiction, and it fucking showed in the campaigns he did, with most of them either devolving into Magical Realms or Mary Sue-ridden hellscapes that me and the Paladin had to wade through.

There was another member of our group who was a fucking weeb that always tried to play as some type of catgirl or otherwise some monstergirl character. Thankfully, they kept their weeb-ness to a minimum so we got along without much of a conflict.

There was me who, I'll be honest, didn't really take a lot of stuff very seriously. Like I'd try making up specifically crazy implausible characters like a Dwarf Wizard who worship a rock he found as a god or a Deep One Hybrid who thought he was a Gilman and hated Deep Ones and Cthulhu with a passion.

And there was the last person who I referred to as the Paladin because that's exactly what he is. He legit acts like a paladin in real life. He only does what's right and will criticize you for doing "wrong" things. He also has a vested interest with melee weapons and medieval history.

Overall with all of us combined our campaigns would always devolve into terrible trainwrecks we wouldn't even got halfway through. I'd say we still had a fun time in the process.

My first group was comprised of a former friend of mine, his brother, and his father as the GM. It was incredibly surprising that he would be into this seeing as they were all HYPER CHRISTIANS who normally think this stuff is the invention of Satan (the father was even a pastor). We played a few sessions of AD&D and it kickstarted my love for the genre. I never got to play more than a few games with him because their mother hated me profusely, and kept me away from them at all opportunities.

My first group was myself and three of my proto-neckbeard friends, back when we were in high school.

I played a Human Fighter, one of the other guys played a Human Fighter, and the third one played a Halfling Rogue. I tried to RP the best I could, but the others just wanted to kill shit and take loot.