EDH/Commander General

"That Special Someone" edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What's that one deck you just can't bring yourself to take apart?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bant-enchantment-pillowfort-wip/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nin-wip-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-u-heist-of-the-century/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/toshiro-valuetown/
autocardanywhere.com/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/embrace-the-red/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/experiment-300/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

5 Color god tribal, deck sucks but its really fun.
I'm looking for some help with a decklist. Hoping to keep the same theme. Thanks for advice.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bant-enchantment-pillowfort-wip/

>T1 Skullbriar into Hardened Scales

I felt so evil.

Also, how samey is Krenko from game to game? I just found a couple copies in a long box I had forgotten about, and I'm wondering if I should put him in the 99 for Zada instead of at the helm of his own deck.

>What's that one deck you just can't bring yourself to take apart?
This one.

My Nin Control deck. It's unfocused, at times janky and incredibly fun to play while remaining casual. Drawing cards by hitting a stuffy doll is fun. Here's the list: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nin-wip-1/

I also currently need help with fine-tuning my Bant Enchantress voltron deck and building No-Wincon Thada Adel, as advised by /edhg/ earlier. Links are here:

Enchantress: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jenaras-bant-enchantress/

Thada Adel: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-u-heist-of-the-century/

I run a Krenko deck, it's pretty samey but super cheap to toss together.

Post'em!

>thread question
I only have 4 so I haven't gotten to that point yet. But I want there to be more toys for my zombiechantress. Hopefully Amonkhet will increase the pool of Zombie Enchantment Creatures

Omnath, Locus of Mana. I'll be buried with that deck.

>Also, how samey is Krenko from game to game?
Very. But he's damn good. If you wanna shake up goblin tribal a bit, try BR Wort. Not as good, but you're gonna have some unique cards.

If you REALLY wanna mix it up, do Alesha Goblins.

I've taken every deck that wasn't Kalitas apart at one point, and I don't particularly love it either.

So a friend's invited me to play commander with his group.

How much hate can I expect for choosing
Sen Triplets as a commander and just filling my whole deck with a section of mannas?
and more importantly should I?

Borborygmos Enraged. My first commander will never be retired.

Alesha is my favorite of the three. She can't combo off as easily with GY hate, but she doesn't fold to it right away.

>1v1 commander deck testing
>T4 Traumatize followed by Bojuka Bog
>T5 Oblivion sower picking up 12 lands.

Is this what it feels like to be the Villain?

This guy. I'll probably be buried with this deck

I have a UG Ezuri that just kinda has a dumb amount of synergy and wins a lot of games

RGW Mayael that does a lot of hand sculpting to generate maximum value from using her

WUBR artifacts with Breya, mostly focused on combo stuff because why not

and monoW Darien that tries to take damage as much as possible.

Any recommendations to make monoW move faster? I have a handful of stuff that can draw me cards and stuff but its just too slow and can't get around counterspells at all

Just make sure you have plenty of counterspells and protection for the Triplets.

Anyone?

So is Skullbriar a fun commander?

Playing Bruna. She's out on the field with a Spirit Mantle, it's down to me against Melek.

Opponents turn, he has lethal the turn after this. Turn to Frog + Lightning Bolt on Bruna. I Swan Song the Bolt.

Eldrazi Conscription in hand, not enough to take the win, he still has lethal. My turn rolls around.

Topdeck Corrupted Conscience.

Bliss.

How do I win a game with Oona, Queen of the Fae thats not infinite mana combo?

Many mana doublers.

ezuri tech

Toshi decklist please?

>Thread Topic
The one deck I cant bring myself to tear apart is my old mono red bosh deck the urge to turn it into slobad is high since I have most the pieces but bosh has always been there like a old pair of work boots and I dont have the heart to take it apart.

Anybody have any good tech besides the usual stuff for a gonti deck? I just got done building mine and its loads of fun but I want all the flicker and steal effects to replace some of the generic mono black goodstuff I tossed in their.

Here we go.

Shitload of decks

>tfw turn 3 blasphemous act with everlasting torment out

>no repercussion in play
It's as if you don't want people deathly afraid of going wide.

Oh wait, was talking specifically in reply to Skullbriar, muh bad.

Black Sun's Zenith is so much fun if a guy in your group is playing Skullbriar

I didnt have that in the deck or know about it but im brewing a deck that can have all three though so Ill give it a shot, thanks user.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/toshiro-valuetown/
Here you go. There's no doubt ways to clean up the decklist, and some of the cards aren't really needed for the deck (like Volrath's Stronghold, and Liliana the Last Hope), but the deck is solid. I have a lot of fun bouncing around instants like nobody's business.

shit, I forgot to update this. Corvax/Pianna is now Jazal Goldmane and it's dank

New oedric is pretty mean in monowhite.

It's so often a blowout in my Mogis deck.

Everyone but you has +3 creatures in play?

You all die for 1RRR.

I often end up tutoring for Repercussion since I run a lot of X damage boardwipes.

how would you build a budget mimeoplasm control deck?

posting mine btw

Oona Lab Maniac?
You get Azami and multiple levels of protection for the combo, and tutors to grab it.
Might be fun. Not as easy as infinite win, but Lab Maniac is my favorite alt win-con.

updated, also post your deck's stando

hardcore control deck. i rarely cast him, and pretty much any other esper general would be a better option, but i just can't bring myself to swap him out. too many memories.

Could someone give me a link to this? My google is weak, sorry.

oh man my mate tried running that. It was terrible. Just could not get devotion on anything. You need ways to cheat things in with a lot of symbols on them.

I use autocard anywhere autocardanywhere.com/

Not sure if anons have other suggestions

if the skullbriar player has half a brain he would run ways to sac it at instant speed in response to that

Still have a Norin the Wary deck that I made out of spite from about 2 years ago. Really inexpensive, so I never got rid of it.

Additional question: I'm getting all hot and bothered from Jhoira's inclusion in Mind vs. Might and want to brew with her. I'd want to make it artifact centric rather than "LELDRAZI". Anyone know some good UR+colorless combos or interactions off the top of their head?

Compared to Nevinyrral's Disk, is this playable or garbage in creature-light control decks without access to white/black board wipes?

It's decent, especially in red, artifact-based, coin-flipping themed decks.

It WAS my 5-color angel deck but I had cashed out of magic for a while and it'll take a while to build it back up, especially the mana base. I may wind up proxying out part of it.

At the moment I've got a casual Oloros built I like. Also trying to build a R/G deck to play against it but I'm not good with either of those colors and it's going poorly. Was using Omnath, Locus of Rage. Considering tearing it back down a bit and using Mina and Denn, Wildborn instead.

That lead me to consider a General Tarzi ally deck instead, which raises a question- he'd count as a 5-color commander because of his ability, right? And if not, is it possible to even use his activated ability (because wouldn't all my non-white mana become generic mana?)

I don't see why you'd run crovax over elesh norn.
Sad, because it's a cool card.

>pay 2 life to bounce and avoid command zone increase from removal
I dunno seems like a fair trade to me

Decklist tappedout.net/mtg-decks/embrace-the-red/ purely for hilarity (and it has actually won me games)

Slivers. There's dual land in that deck and all sorts of other things I only have one of, but I love it too much.

It's not entirely garbage. 50% of the time it's better than nev disk, 25% of the time its the same, 25% of the time it's worse.

This is assuming you're playing it to blow the board right away.

Post your favorite basics. Wish I had more of these

Boompile isn't bad compared to Disk, but Disk just doesn't impress me anymore. It's too vulnerable and it gives your opponents the chance to play around it. It's been a long time since I put a Disk into a deck.

What browser are you using? Trying to install on firefox gives me "addon appears to be corrupt" error.

>Not wanting to pull a near-death experience win

Nice

Anyone got a good resource for comparing current card prices to pre-spoiler prices for MM17?

mtggoldfish?

>tfw attacking with Bruna when Uril player had been shittalking all night and fogs were constant
>Uril has a million auras
>but not anymore

>I start with a land
>opponent gets a T1 Skullbriar
>after declaring attackers I cast Scar

>Anybody have any good tech besides the usual stuff for a gonti deck?
Does Blood Clock and Umbilicus count? Super secret tech with Oath of Liliana and Prophetic Prism, the latter which also helps you activate non-black abilities.

>That lead me to consider a General Tarzi ally deck instead, which raises a question- he'd count as a 5-color commander because of his ability, right? And if not, is it possible to even use his activated ability (because wouldn't all my non-white mana become generic mana?)
Tazri's has a WUBRG color identity, so you can put whatever you want in her.
Even if she didn't, the rules have changed to allow you to produce off-color mana, although you would need to play something like City of Brass, or steal a mana producer from someone else. (I guess you can also play an Urborg for black.)

Prophetic Prism seems kind of mediocre compared to just running rainbow rocks, Command Tower, Exotic Orchard and Fellwar Stone.

i've seen urborg in a garbage GW deck that was made entirely of swamp hate and land tutors

>Now I want to build it
Fuck you.

swap out crovax and put triskaidekaphobia in as well

What's a cool orzhov archetype besides taxing to play with her?

And with Crovax, what's a cool monowhite archetype that isn't angel tribal?

>switch to pianna if opponents are playing white

or you could switch to 8-1/2 tails and collect endless bags of salt as you you can shit on the white players endlessy and efficiently.

What does "Primer" means in MTG/deck context?

sort of like a beginner's guide to how a deck works, why certain cards are played, what to do in matchups, etc.

why not?

>triskaidephobia
Why would I want to lose the game?

Thanks user!

where is your lich's mirror?

>Lose the game
What? You get to 13 and swap life total with an opponent just before your upkeep

right next to my immortal coil

>Experiment 300

W-What? That's the most stupid idea ever and I loved it, care to share the deck list?

what about lich's tomb? in fact i think you need more lich's, bitches love lich's

spawnsire into 200 ulamogs
sacrifice 199 to legend rule
199 ulamogs enter your graveyard simultaneously
shuffle 199 ulamogs into your deck

You can do it in your upkeep as well with like Magus of the Mirror. You lose the game only after the trigger resolves.

I sure hope you spent $3000 for all those copies

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/experiment-300/
that takes days to do.

It replaces itself and is a card draw engine with Blood Clock/Umbilicus. Sure, it's not amazing, but the opportunity cost is not that high.
Command Tower is only going to give you black, by the way.

Rules question: if you have Thought Reflection out, draw a Reforge the Soul on the first draw of your draw step, do you get the second draw before or after Reforge the Soul resolves?

Replacement effects make my head hurt

Wouldn't they happen simultaneously? And the Reforge trigger?

You draw two cards, then reforge the soul is cast.

Same as when you cast a brainstorm or something, and reveal a miracle card on the first draw. You still draw the other two cards first and put two cards back.

Can you suggest me a fun commander that is WU, RUG or WG? I have decks in almost all the other color combinations.

Ok but are there 300 different Eldrazis?

That depends largely on what you want to do with them. If you feel like being a bad person, you can always roll with Brago, King Eternal as your WU commander. Combo him with Lavinia of the Tenth to lock everyone out of the game (with some early mana ramp, of course).

Technically it doesn't matter, because Spawnsire doesn't actually do anything in Commander unless your group agrees ahead of time that it does. If his group is fine with pulling multiple copies of cards via Spawnsire, then he could just jam 200 copies of Emrakul's Crusher in there.

I should have stressed the fun part, Brago sure is powerful but I don't like this kind of playstyle.

RUG: Riku. Great Snake Mistake or otherwise.
WG: Selvala something or Sisay Kamigawa "Legends Matter" bullshit (or Sisay Paradox if you are a spike enough dude to find that fun)
WU: Define 'fun'. Brago Flicker Abuse could be to some people, as could getting the efficiency of Grand Arbiter. I for one might favor Bruna Voltron or Hanna

For UW: Rasputin Ramp? There's infinite combos with him but you don't need to play them.

I have a friend (very loose use of the word) who is convinced that the best keyword for a voltron commander to have is haste, rather than evasion, hexproof etc. and I think he's a fucking idiot for thinking that. Who is right?

Eh, just use OG Emrakul. It doesn't really matter if she's banned, since the deck doesn't even function with "official" EDH rules. At least you get 200 extra turns and can get the Wits trigger and win immediately.

One really good thing about Haste is that you can swing when they didn't anticipate you being able to (IE, they have blockers for your guys, but then you drop something with haste and it all gets fucked up). That element of surprise is 100% gone if it's on your Commander, or in the form of something like Lightning Greaves super visible on the board. It also doesn't protect your Commander like Hexproof or Protection, or enable it to get past blockers like Flying. It's still useful to make the clock shorter, but it's not AS useful as the other bits.

I mean, if you have literally 8000 dollars lying around to buy 200 Emrakuls, I guess?

The most economical approach is to include Mirror Entity, 1 titan and 200 random trash eldrazi.

Requires a white color identity though.

I love Alesha. All I need for the lands now is a marsh flats and a badlands