LEGO Wargaming General 2: Nexo Balance Edition

For discussion of all varieties of LEGO war games, including Warbrick: 40Studs, Bricktech, and BrickFleet Micro (both Pirate and Space versions) and real LEGO wargames like Mobile Frame Zero and BrikWars, if you want
>Previous thread:
>Topic:
What do you guys think of Codex: Nexo? Do you think combining elements of both Space and Castle into one codex is too powerful?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/9ybe8948cueu1/lego
youtube.com/watch?v=sH_6iFYiryY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lego_themes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Nexo army is a fucking disgrace. It's LW taking a big fat shit on the established lore just to appeal to kiddies. This game will be dead in 6 months, mark my words

>Do you think combining elements of both Space and Castle into one codex is too powerful?

I know this is bait, so good job, you got me replying. But fuck no, Nexo aren't OP. They aren't even great. Ever seen how much pic related wrecks the Mobile Fortress?

Wanna castle? Np, next second I have a psychopathic avian knocking down your wall and single-handly tank half your knights.

And look how packed of weaponry the Piggy Plane is. For less than 1/5th of the point. I'll take five, please.

>mobile fortress
>not flying
Get on my level, senpai.

Is Angry Birds supposed to supplant Rock Raiders as the premiere anti-fortification faction? I haven't looked at their codex yet but it looks like literally every single one of their units can break walls.

>caring about the lore
It's been trash since they added Star Wars.

No, I wouldn't say. Codex: Angry Birds is too varied to be said specifically anti-walls. There's a few things, basically everything that comes with a catapult like pic related, that by themselves have better anti-wall tech than RR. But it's a lot less overall. Stuff like the Piggy Car and the Pirate Ship have zero wall tech but are great in themselves.

Quick question, Codex: Agents,

Or Codex: Ultra Agents?

>Woop Woop don't mind me, I'm in my gyrosphere zooming all across the battlefield capping objectives!

Codex: Alpha Team

They just released a standalone for UA in the last CMF wave.

You have to disembark from the gyrosphere before you can cap anything, genius.

This user knows what's up Alpha Team gets hatred: Ogel which is really solid as Ogel lists are making up a solid portion of the meta right now. Alpha Team also gets both Agents and Ultra Agents as allies, so if you want anything specific from either you can take it as an allied detachment.

>The shitposting was so strong, someone started a second general to keep it going
okay, now we HAVE to make rules for this thing. Should we base if off 40K, Warmahordes, Brikwars, or something else?

Whatever the rules are, designing your own units and rules should be core to the gameplay. Maybe you can even do it mid-battle with "master builder" units.

>revolver does most damage of any handgun in game
>whip gives charge versatility
>bonus to fighting dinosaur and nazi lists, both super meta right now

How can baronvonbaroncucks ever hope to compete?

I think we should start with Brikwars as a baseline ruleset for what we want to do, but it should be really faction-oriented like 40k.

Fortifications and the destroying of said fortifications should be a key part of gameplay.

>He believes his shitty mud mounds and retirees can defeat REAL miners.

Mobile base AND a vehicle, how does it feel to be outclassed?

2001, 2005, or 2010 rules?

I'm going to say 2010 because it's the only one I'm familiar with.

if we do make something I recommend us modifying Brikwars' 2001 version as it's the most complete version of the rules that's available in PDF format

also might as well post said rules(Supernatural Powers supplement in next post)

and the Supernatural Powers supplement

Rate my shit. Just slapped Start Collecting and Frost Sea Assault together but looks decent for 1000 pts games

Leaders
Viking Warlord (100)
- General
- Golden Warblade and Shield of Ages

Battleline
10 x Viking Warriors (120)
- Axe and Wooden Shield
15 x Viking Warriors (180)
- Spear and Wooden Shield

Units
5 x Fenris Wolves (200)

War Machines
Viking Catapult (140)
Heavy Artillery Wagon (180)

Battalions
Frost Sea's Raiders (80)

Total: 1000/1000

Seems like a good fair list but if you wanted to be as efficient as possible you should max out on Fenris Wolves.

I still run a Toa list. How bad is it in the current meta?

Depends on the team.

>no dragons
You're gonna be outmaneuvered by Vehicle lists without the speed a dragon can give.

Go with Air tribe and spam the table with matorans - always works

It's a 1000 pts list mate - dragon would eat half of my points. Also I'm playing mainly hold the objective games - wolves and warriors are must have IMO

You just need one Red Dragon on that list, and that's just a measly 200 points. Otherwise, you're not gonna be able to pop vehicles or outmaneuver cavalry with any real effectiveness.

Consider getting rid of 4 Wolves and the Heavy Artillery Wagon and replacing them with a Red Dragon and another Catapult. That's all I'm saying.

I don't know, do you want one of the best anti-air units known to mankind?

I'd rather go for a watered down version of Warmahorde with huge ass power-combos and building/destroying rules.

Confirmed for great taste, user. And the melee attack of those rotors is beyond belief.

I think you user's are right; We should use the Brikwars as a base system, but use the idea of 40k codex's as a way to organize units and set a standard. Instead of focusing on what ever you want to build, it should have specific lists based on kits available to the factions at hand. Also, we can do with out the Brikwars lore, since honestly, it's not to my taste. I think a tongue'n cheek Space EPIC would work best; sort of like 40k, but silly and stupid.

flying fortress > not flying fortress

It can even deploy smaller vehicles

Sure, they aren't as technologically advanced but canonballs wreck walls anyway

Fuck it, lets start real generic here and try and build a simple system. What stats should a baseline minifig have?

I'm thinking 1 hitpoint, a combat skill of 5 (on a D6, your average dude isn't great), a use skill of 4 (for non-combat tasks), and 12 studs of movement a turn.

>but use the idea of 40k codex's as a way to organize units and set a standard
Better go with AoS battletomes and small core rules

Honestly, if were gonna build a new system, let me say this:

Fuck the idea of studs as movement. Just give them inches in movement, it makes things way easier.

That's good. How do we target for fire? I like the Awareness + Enemy Size = range, that would reflect the variety of different build type in the game.

Exactly, I think this is the right direction. Basing it on kits available to the faction gives a guideline as to what equipment that faction would have without forcing people to actually go and buy the set - as long as they build something that's close enough it should be fine.

As for fluff, I think space epic is also right direction, although I'm not sure how we could incorporate castle and less tech-based factions into that. Maybe all the worlds are connected via a system of portals or something to allow non-space faring factions to get around?

fair enough. Lets say like 4" or 5" movement as a baseline then?
I like that, but I also think what kind of weapon being used should be a factor as well. Maybe something like 5" base awareness + 8" added with a generic rifle. For size maybe start with a baseline size of 1 for minifigs that applies no bonus or minus to range and go from there.

How about:

>All range weapons have infinite range, but only hit on 6s.
>Guns deal 2 hitpoint per shot
>Space Guns hit on 5+, deal 2 hitpoint/shot
>If a unit target a unit within Awareness(+ Gun tech range) + Enemy Size, you get to use your Combat skill to determine what value hits.

How do we make melee weapons/armies competitive?

I think infinite range might be a BS there, dude; keep it to 24"

Unit Size value suggestion

>Mini-fig: 2
>Robo-Guardian : 15
>Deep Freeze Defender : Ground 10/ Air 30

agreed overall, I'd say have the factions be based on those from existing LEGO sets(but for now at least let's limit it to LEGO originals only)

I disagree, creating a system from scratch is a terrible idea, that's why 99% of Veeky Forums's projects never go anywhere

I like the idea of Stud based movement, much easier to judge than anything Inch based

>As for fluff, I think space epic is also right direction, although I'm not sure how we could incorporate castle and less tech-based factions into that. Maybe all the worlds are connected via a system of portals or something to allow non-space faring factions to get around?
could maybe riff it partially off of LEGO Dimensions fluff

>How do we make melee weapons/armies competitive?

Minifigs on horse move 12" on the charge, always use Combat skill to determine value in combat, hit on 2+ against non-melee enemy unit.

Build walls between your melee dudes and your enemies guns.

Don't mind us, just doing everything a gyrosphere can do but better

>except bringing cool dinos to the field.

nah, 24" are for bows only.

>Implications

I think we should go for 4 or so overarching factions that encompass a bunch of different themes - so Instructions: Castle could provide rules for playing all manner of knights and wizards and such.

we can even do individual heroes for each sub-faction later, but for now lets keep it simple.

might need more than 4, but that is a good idea

I fucking swear to god, people who use the loophole in the ally rules to field two of him should be castrated

Sample Ice Planet Astronaut :

Hitpoint : 1
Combat : 3
Ability : 3
Speed : 4"
Size : 2
Awareness : 6"

Space Gun (ranged)
Hit on 5+
Range : +2"
2 hitpoint/shot

OTC (melee)
Handling : 0
Damage : 2 (3 against fort, 6 against Ice)
reroll failed to hit rolls

Special Rules:
Immune to Cold conditions
Kryos Communication Array

I was thinking 4 to start just because that seems like a reasonable amount of variety while also making the burden of coming up with rules for different factions manageable.

Even more if you include how the movies are separate.

Before we get ahead of ourselves, what stats should all minifigs have? Clearly people have an idea of what they want to do or what can be ripped from brikwars.

I'm thinking the core stats should be Hitpoints (HP), Combat Skill (C), Ability Skill (A), Speed (S), Size (Si), Awareness (Aw).
I like the idea of going pretty generic; I think we start with just a basic spaceman template for all Space factions, and then have stuff like OTC a faction-specific equipment we detail later, once we have the core details out of the way.

>I disagree, relying on "other posters" to make your game instead of doing all the heavy lifting yourself is a terrible idea, that's why 99% of Veeky Forums's projects never go anywhere

I fixed your post for you

>clap of hands

All agreed. Maybe, if the count of minifigs remains low enough in most games, we should bump up the average starting HP to 2 or 3, so that tabling doesn't happen too fast.

Feel free to steal from this

I made it just for Veeky Forums

I agree that the figs seem kind of squishy right now. What about adding armor as another core stat so that we can reserve higher HP pools for commanders or heroes?

Perhaps Aw can also act like a unit cohesion mechanic, like

>When you give an Simple Order to a unit, all other units within Aw or with Communication to that unit may also enact the Simple Order given.

Thank you!

fuck i thought this was real

i even googled Warbrick: 40Stud and just assumed it was hard to find

if only this shit existed when i was a kid, man

I'm not sold on using it to give multiple units orders, but I like the idea of using Aw to increase unit cohesion. Perhaps we should restrict all minifigs in a unit to to being within Aw of at least one other minifig in their unit, and any minifig within Aw of a unit gains whatever our version of a leadership/moral bonus will be.
We're brew rules right at this moment, join the fun!

Armour (Ar) could be an optional skill you gain by spending points for it, or automatically getting it with certain troops.

Should there be a 'to hit' + 'to wound' + 'to bypass Ar', or perhaps we could have just 'to hit', then automatically deal damage, with units having an Ar value gaining an additional roll to defend. It could also represent trying to hit a mini-fig inside a vehicule vs trying to hit it outside the vehicule.

D'oh, I meant within Aw of a commander/hero minifig when I was talking about giving the leadership/morale bonus.

>not running a Life on Mars army

I think combat should be kept relatively simple, at least for now. I think it should purely be a to-hit roll, with a successful armor roll negating the hit.

Perhaps we should give every minifig a base Ar of 1 to represent glancing blows and dodging about.

Agreeing with Armor should be a commodity - perhaps there should be tiers? It would be awkward for a minifig to have the same Ar level as a vehicle, for example. Maybe Ar should be bought per unit instead of figure by figure. I guess it depends on how much crunch we want.

Can we also discuss using Lego for other tabletop games?

>Brikwars
>Whatever the rules are, designing your own units and rules should be core to the gameplay.
>I think we should start with Brikwars as a baseline ruleset for what we want to do, but it should be really faction-oriented like 40k.
>Fortifications and the destroying of said fortifications should be a key part of gameplay.
Honestly Brikwars 2010 (Coming Spring 2050!) should work for all of this, but I kinda piss Mike off something fierce over his proposed "points-less" balance for Super Natural Die, which is otherwise one of the more flexible sub-systems in the game.
Seriously Mike, shit get's way too clusterfucky if you need to stick something onto a Unit for each SN Die you give them!

>I think you user's are right; We should use the Brikwars as a base system, but use the idea of 40k codex's as a way to organize units and set a standard. Instead of focusing on what ever you want to build, it should have specific lists based on kits available to the factions at hand.
I think this would be the best option.
I've always been big on stockism support for Brikwars (SHUT IT VAMI!), as it's one of the easiest way to get people into the game.

>Also, we can do with out the Brikwars lore, since honestly, it's not to my taste. I think a tongue'n cheek Space EPIC would work best; sort of like 40k, but silly and stupid.
Silly God of Briks, THE FIRST RULE OF BRIKWARS KANON IS THERE IS NO SET KANON!!!

...Ok, it's actually "Everyone is the boss of their own toys."
So you shouldn't do anything with an existing faction without asking it's creator, but most BrikLore buffs tend to keep things contained in their Soap Operas and such.

>Sure, they aren't as technologically advanced but canonballs wreck walls anyway
MUH SKY-PIRATE!

Seriously though, it would be the kid friendly version of 40k/smegmar that GW needs. It's the same as one of those two except you don't need to sell a kindney to play. I vote we make this happen.

Ar should definitely be tiered. I'm thinking all figs should have an Ar that allows them to not die against a successful attack on a roll of 6 on a D6 - so we could represent that as an Ar value of 1 or an Ar value of 6; whichever ends up being less confusing

I'm thinking we should also have at least 2 tiers of armor for figs beyond that: the basic armor dodges hits on a 5 and the advanced armor dodges hits on a 4.

For vehicle armor I'm not sure what to do, but it should probably be a different armor system.

A fellow power miners player, they're such an Underlooker faction. I feel too many people look down on them as a rock raider successor chapter, but their bonuses to transport and mc is where they really shine. Too bad LW fucked over Transport this edition

where my Arctic niggas at?

seriously though, WHY haven't lego wargame rules been a thing???!!! why isn't there some fan-made thing in it'd 50th edition or something??!?!?!?!

Don't remind me of the Jones spaming of 4th edition

>seriously though, WHY haven't lego wargame rules been a thing???!!! why isn't there some fan-made thing in it'd 50th edition or something??!?!?!?!
There is, it's called Brikwars.

If that doesn't catch your fancy we are literally brewing a lego wargame right here in this thread.

Ok. So including Ar as a base stat, with Ar(1) being the default for Minifigs. That way we can give Knights something to be proud of.

So Combat mechanic is 'to hit' vs 'to save' by default. Agreed?

If you want to keep math real simple, we can have Combat rolls being :
>Compare Combat Skill, get difference.
>Add difference to basic 4+ to succeed.
>Combat happens in sequence, with highest Combat Skill starting. Both damages are dealt unless one unit is fully killed before his sequence.
>Whenever Difference is higher than +2, lower the Critical hit threshold (basic 6) by one. So a Robo-Guardian (C:7) attacks an Ice Planet Astronaut (C:3) hits on 2+ and Crits on 4+
>6 Always Hit, 1 Always Misses.

>As for fluff, I think space epic is also right direction, although I'm not sure how we could incorporate castle and less tech-based factions into that. Maybe all the worlds are connected via a system of portals or something to allow non-space faring factions to get around?
Sounds good to me, I know there is the "Medivo" world of regular Brikwars, but its' anti-tech field really only exist as an explanation for why a world of medieval combat hasn't been conquered by Space-fairing Empires...

Portals means you just might not be ABLE to get a super star dreadnought in orbital superiority position.

>I'm thinking the core stats should be Hitpoints (HP), Combat Skill (C), Ability Skill (A), Speed (S), Size (Si), Awareness (Aw).
>we should bump up the average starting HP to 2 or 3, so that tabling doesn't happen too fast.
>I agree that the figs seem kind of squishy right now. What about adding armor as another core stat so that we can reserve higher HP pools for commanders or heroes?
>I think combat should be kept relatively simple, at least for now. I think it should purely be a to-hit roll, with a successful armor roll negating the hit.
Well as a seasoned-ish Brikwars player, I can tell you that the combat system Mike has built is pretty solid for a beer and pretzels game.

"Creations" have a Skill Die, a Move value (traditionally in inches), an Armor VALUE (This use to also be a Die, but it's generally been found to be faster to just give a regular Mini-fig a static value of 4 that's modified via Armor), and finally a Cost, which is often outright ignored anyways because most people don't want to bother with all the book-keeping involved, usually defaulting to "We'll just use what we think is fair."

Weapons have a Use rating that a "creation" needs to beat with their Skill roll to, well, USE, the Range at which they can inflict Damage, and what they roll FOR Damage, which needs to beat the Targets' Armor Value.

>inb4 custom army

This seems right. What do we want crits to do? pen armor? insta-kill minifigs with more than 1 HP?

I think Criticals should be defined by their faction. Ice Planet can choose between Ice or Heat damage, Knights get to make another melee attack, Time Cruisers get to make another action or replay the action just taken differently, Vehicules with Claw hands get to move enemy units or hold them...

You forgot the 2005 version and Mobile Frame version
I'll upload it for all of ya'll so you can go forth and have giant robot battles cause I am loving how nostalgic you guys are making me. Almost makes me want to bust out my old legos.

mediafire.com/folder/9ybe8948cueu1/lego

OK
WHAT ARE OUR UNIT TYPES?
I'm for
>Heros
>Minions
>Vehicles
>Buildings

I like the idea of having faction-specific criticals but that seems like a nightmare to come up with and balance for.

Lets maybe table criticals for now and figure out we want the core 4 factions to be (for now) and then come up with a base statline for all each of their standard infantry.

Obviously Castle and Space should fill 2 of those slots, but I'm not sure what else is generic enough. Pirates maybe?
That sounds good enough to me for unit types but that's getting a little ahead of ourselves.

How about:

>Leader
>Trooper
>Vehicule
>Buildings
>Beasts
>Terrain
>Robot

>Almost makes me want to bust out my old legos.
DOOO EEEET!!!

Defining unit types will be critical to defining stat lines.

Do we want all units to the same kind of stats?

Starting factions should be Space, Castle, Pirates and Aquazone. Those are some of the oldest, longest lived, yet classic themes.

>Castle
>Space
>Aqua + Agents
>City

Or perhaps JP instead of City?

>Pirates

52420080 here. Ok, you got my vote.

I feel like
Beasts should be big minions.
Terrain should all be buildings. Like people should bring all of it and be invested in it's deployment..
Robot's are just vehicles.

All I can hear though is this playing in the back of my mind when Im building giant mobile suits for my minifigs to get into and start kicking ass.

youtube.com/watch?v=sH_6iFYiryY

I just want to have giant battles with other ornery lego varmints. Is that so wrong?

For reference
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lego_themes

Ok, agreed on all accounts, everything else can be special rules.

I also think that the system for generating stats should be directly linked via equation to points costs. It might be super mathamatical but if we create a formula to turn stat-line + weapons into points then people will be able to make their own units with a greater degree of balance. This makes the game more "Lego" if you ask me.

Maybe have another faction for the Creator/Designer line as an example of a non-standard (minifig) army, as they were practically already outlined in World Builder and X-Pod.

Okay, so I'm thinking starting factions should be
>Space
>Castle
>Pirates
>Aquazone/Agents
Are we all in agreement here?
So just to clarify, we're using these as our unit types?
>Leader
>Minions
>Vehicles
>Buildings

Fucking exofags keep bringing their bullshit MCs which are clearly walkers, how do I counter this,

Knights btw

Leader/Minions/Vehicles/Buildings sounds good, with an additional category for "monsterous creatures" such as dragons and alligators and lions and other things that are too big to be minions, but clearly aren't vehicles.