In a dwarven underground city

>in a dwarven underground city
>talk to the guards and find out have been having a goblin problem in the lower levels
>explore the city and the sound of wardrums begin to echo throughout the town
>dm brings our attention to a large group of guards going underground towards the sound of the drums
>we follow the group and help the guards fend off a large group of goblins
>they were just a distraction
>go back up top and see the whole town slaughtered
>dm explains that we werent supposed to go down we were supposed to help in the upper levels
>because we werent there everyone died
>get angry at dm because there was no way we could have known that
Am i in the wrong or the dm because i really wanted to explore the town but now everyone is dead

.....but now there's loot, and fresh tracks.

What's the problem? It's not like a video game where "YOU LOST GAME OVER" pops up on the screen in red letters.

You decided to leave the city, and for some reason it was destroyed. You didn't expect this to happen, but so what? Go do something else. Go on a revenge crusade with the remaining dwarves.

>in a dwarven underground city
Did you have ties to the city, previously?

Sounds like he strung you along for it to happen unless he dropped hint regarding the top guard were light and it might have been a diversion.

No we literally just got into the city. It was just the way how the dm saidnit like we were to be blamed for this because we made a descision on the information we had. Even though there was no clue that the upper levels were gonna get attacked to

>trouble exists in the lower part of the city
>commotion is happening in the lower part of the city
>goblins having any sort of clever plan ever
>dwarves being outsmarted by a goblin plan
>the entire town was destroyed because the pcs were in one part of town instead of the other

Either you're leaving out some crucial detail or your dm is retarded

players are not "supposed" to follow the DMs expectations
why would the DM say that they had a "must-do" plan for the players

You shouldn't feel bad. Did the GM rule that the NPCs are blaming you for the town being destroyed?

>>Send every dwarf to the lower levels to stop a raid, leaving town undefended
>>blame adventurers for leaving town undefended

Lol

>No matter the game, everything must be the same or I will cry like little baby

>dm pulls out his dick and starts jerking of

The standard thing here in Veeky Forums is to think and operate on the assumption that the game is standard D&D

The only inclination that it might have been the case was that the goblins threw dwarf heads at us but i rolled to see if i reconized them at all and i had never seen them before so we assumed they were from previous attacks.

>dm explains that we werent supposed to go down we were supposed to help in the upper levels

This is where he fucked up. He shouldn't have said anything and just given you breadcrumbs to the rest of the goblin warband so you could kill them for revenge.

Your party made a mistake, and the DM should have rolled with it instead of forcing you down a certain path without you even knowing it.

No we pretty much ended seeing the sight of the town destroyed

>Your party made a mistake
No they didn't. According to OP, they saw dorfs heading into battle and heroically joined them, and then later the DM decided that everyone died because they picked Door #2 and not Door #1.

>dm tells you the problem exists in the lower levels
>you go into the lower levels to combat the problem
>lol nerds, it was a ruse, the real way to win this quest was to sit in the upper levels and ignore the problem! The city is entirely dead now!

Tell him to stop running a session on 1990's adventure game logic.

Ok, this is where you pull the GM aside and ask him if he wants some feedback for the session you just played.

And if he is a sensible and mature human being, he will agree to taking some good feedback to improve the game. And that's when you tell him
>"I don't mind that you give actions consequences: if I do something stupid like jump off a speeding cart to stand my ground and fight the oncoming horde, I am okay with my character getting killed by said horde. But this session was a let down for me because you told us out-of-character, that it was our fault that the town was destroyed. I would prefer it if you could keep OoC commentary to a minimum and also if you could not tell us what our characters could/should have done to continue on a set path. I think that it is much more fun if we, as a group, hadn't known about the attack in the city, had investigated and then found out about the goblin army, before setting off to destroy them for glory and swag."

Try to keep calm and be assertive at the same time when you explain your feedback to the GM, in order that he understand what exactly you mean with what you disliked so that he can then make sure that the same mistake won't happen during the next session.

I second. The DM was being a goof.

>>dm explains that we werent supposed to go down we were supposed to help in the upper levels
Shitty dm spotted, if can't talk some sense into him, kick him or leave.

I see your point, that was dumb of him, but it still could have worked thematically if it was handled correctly.

"Mistake" isn't quite the word to use, more like 'shit happens that you can't always prevent'.

Maybe it's just cause I'm a sucker for stories where the hero's tend to fail horribly along the way.

If the GM really wanted you to fight in the city, the party could have returned to see the place under attack and spring into action. Wow look at that, the best of both worlds. The party gets to be a bunch of big damn heroes in the lower tunnels AND they can save the city like the GM intended. How hard is that?

This is the issue. In DND there should be a path that you're "supposed" to do. Are you sure he used that word? It could have been the path he expected you to do, but it sounds like he had a perfectly good encounter prepared when you guys did something he didn't expect and went with the guards to the lower level.