ITS HAPPENING:

ITS HAPPENING:
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=Jd4m7bX9NfM

In the Red Corner.
Representing Japan is the Kurata

A state of the art mecha equipped with the best tech only Japan can provide
-Smart Targetting system, lets the pilot lock-on to a target by simple facial gestures.
-4 independent Gyro-wheel system lets the mech maneuver in ways no other 4-wheeled vehicle can do - it can swerve, swivel and distribute its weight evenly on difficult terrains.
-3 shot vertical launch rockets loaded with a payload of paint
-2 4-barrel paintball minigun on both arms
-a steel chainsaw katana for ripping and tearing

In the Blue Corner.
Representing the US of A is the Megabot mk. 3
Based off the initial mk2 design, the mk3 has been upgraded to be tougher, heavier and meaner, loaded with enough weapons to make a bald eagle shed a tear.
-Two Pilot Tank-style system. Driver on the wheels and Gunner on the torso.
-Tank Treads for greater stability
-1 Heavy Painball cannon, powerful enough to punch through a sheet of metal.
-2 paintball vulcans on the chest
-4 paintball mortar launchers on the shoulders
-powerful claws

place your bets

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kg-cIZ1CRbA
youtube.com/watch?v=ZK2AxL-2UTU#t=54s
youtu.be/2iZ0WuNvHr8?t=1m25s
youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY
youtu.be/w-g85lOSA8Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm still surprised some rich oil baron hasn't built his own giant robot to enter it into the fight against the American robot and Japanese robot.

I give it to the Japs, unfortunately. They seem to have a much smoother and more reliable system.

so its a fight between a fast mecha vs a mobile weapons platform

my money's on Japan. They seem to have a better idea about mechas in general.

I mean, you just need to smash one of those caster wheels and it's pretty much fucked.

Honestly, I don't think Murica is very invested in mecha. We're more into planes, and even then we're slacking off there.

oh fuck yes im subbing this channel

Im a red blooded american, and I honestly do not care who wins this, because it can only mean good for the future of giant robots

One of 2 things may happen though:
>one nation will win over the other. If japan wins, america gets with it and reinvents their robot and makes it better and faster, knowing 'heavy' isn't necessarily the best design goal for a paintgun robot battle. Or america wins and japan innovates and makes a heavy machine, while america does so as well
or
>the fight goes, and its really really boring. Just dull and goofy, and sets back giant robot fighting several years. It wouldnt matter who won, because nobody gives a shit as the whole thing was overhyped and delivers nothing

Now what is needed is to find a suitable mix of anime music and good ol' rock n' roll to blare during the fight.

Just play Jam Project.

Dammit user, not those One Punch song guys.

I've been following Megabots ever since the fight was announced.

The sponsorships they've gotten are insane. Autodesk is their main financial sponsor. Track base from Howe & Howe, a company in my state that does prototype tank parts. They're doing their own hydraulic hoses on-site through some company I can't remember.

I hadn't heard that they still had paintball guns, though - I thought they ditched them for melee only, although there was talk of paint for blinding enemy sensors. And where did you get the stats on Kuratas? I've heard and seen nothing about their updated design - the old one shot airsoft pellets.

The goal of Megabots actually isn't just to design their bot, they want an actual giant robot fighting league. UFC: Mecha Edition. There was an incredible walker bot from Korea that got shown off recently, I wouldn't be surprised if some rich fucker bought and re-purposed one.

That's my point. The fight could be awesome, and if so, it could totally kickstart the fighting league. But if the fight was dull dumb or goofy, it would stop any funding or momentum and set robot fighting back several years.

I really hope its the earlier. Again, I don't think it matters who wins, as long as the fights are compelling and exciting, because if so, then a robot fighting league would indeed have a future.

Challening a japanese company to a robot fight was a fucking brilliant move, i think that alone got them several of their sponsors and funding.

The Megabot vs Kurata challenge 2 years ago actually set of a chain of events which prompted Korea, India, Canada, France and China to build their own mecha.

Just imagine - we could soon be living in the age of international mechanical gladiator matches.

USA mecha - Full Dakka
Japan mecha - High Tech
Korea mecha - Pro Gamer Pilots
China mecha - Mass Produced Shits
Canada, France and India - one is a pacifist, the other surrenders and the last one runs on curry

>Metal Gear will become a reality in our lifetime
Sometimes I remember why I get up in the morning.

India would have nothing but weird gimmick weapons and telescoping limbs.

Remember that joke comic about the Jaegers of the different nations where Poland got the forklift?
USA is taking Poland's place in real world.
It's literally some forklift on treads. wwwwwwwwwwww

Just use wrestling themes for each country

youtube.com/watch?v=kg-cIZ1CRbA

>telescoping limbs
you played too much streetfighter

India mecha - elephant like machine with multiple arms and sikh weapons

france - rapier fights with an attitude
>mon ami, that fight is so dirty

Canada - mounty ranger running on maple sirup

Im suprised they haven't implemeted drone tech into the US mech

I think they want to keep everything grounded and human piloted, in the spirit of the game. Having even something like surveillance drones could provide an unfair advantage. And it would be boring if all contestants used drones, removes surprise

>ITS HAPPENING
it's been happening for 4 years now... all that happening. it's too much. oh wait nothing happened. i will grow old before a decent mecha fight takes place.

And now there's a concrete competition date, Mr. Dour Dubs. Shut up and get excited.

i know a co-worker that has dates every week yet so far he didn't got anywhere near action.

>UFC: Mecha Edition

Really?
Competitive robot combat and your frame of reference is UFC?

Call me when it's more than two jumped-up forklifts ramming into each other.

Fuck outta here with this "100% wheeled = mecha" bullshit.

It's only the beginning. If this is successful, we will only see improvements from here on out.

The tech isn't there yet for fully walking mecha.

Besides, what would be so bad about seeing 2 humanoid armored shaped forklifts smash into each other?

I kinda wish there were forklift fights, the last attempt at humanoid robots was awful

youtube.com/watch?v=ZK2AxL-2UTU#t=54s

You're pretending to be retarded right

>They don't watch Robot Wars.
This is literally a shitty version of that.

Because you could go to any random hillbilly destruction derby and get the same experience, only faster with more action and less flailing arms?

>canadian mech
>doesn't even have hockey skates
>not even powered by timmies
>not actually an armored moose, ridden by a beaver, wearing a roots sweater

I fear that this will be incredibly lame in the end and the moment things get interesting they will pull out due to being afraid the pilots could get hurt.

But dammit I want to believe that this could be an international sport, I want to see what kind of mechs other countries design.

>Canadian mech
>Doesn't exist money has been funneled into feeding muslims and african refugees

I think Kurata's fucked. It's an art project vs a milispec forklift here.

US wins by default when the Jap teen pilot refuses to get in the mech.

>teen pilot

Eh, don't worry, we've got a better replacement.

Nice meme

This is also much larger and humans are inside piloting them. Robot wars is extremely dull.

Kuratas is insanely fast and manoeuvrable comparatively, to the point that if this were an anime, it would have the match already.

But its katana is just not going to do anything to Megabot at all, whereas Megabot's claws would shatter it like a glass sculpture if they make contact.

If it's just a friendly paintball match with scoring for hits, then barring an early hit by the Mk. III I would peg Kuratas as the winner, but if its down to physically disabling the other mech, Kuratas is up against an as mentioned fucking milspec forklift. It won't be able to damage it, and the forklift is lugging things on it that can absolutely demolish if they make contact, be it the claws or the main cannon.

It's not even like a terrain advantage could swing things in Kuratas' favour. Those dozer treads will just destroy most obstacles, and if it is some kind of absurd hellscape that a dozer can't navigate, even though Kuratas will be a lot more manoeuvrable, it'll be slowed down enough to get chunked by the Megabot's main gun.

If the Kuratas was armed with a pilebunker (The logical choice of melee weapon for this kind of situation) or something, I'd feel more optimistic about a victory for the moonmen.

>Canadian Mech
>So wrapped in red tape its not allowed to engage enemy, just has to stand there and be destroyed, last dying words a polite, "Thankyou"

Actually, on further investigation, one version of the Kuratas just had fucking enormous (Like, Javelin missile system sized) welding torches on each fist, that one would do alright, presumably it would be too hazardous to use against another manned 'bot.

I wish they would do something that doesn't hinge so much on novelty. Like actual prototyping of new tank designs. Also legalised death match.

>Also legalised death match.
Never gonna happen

Could work in Africa, Arabia or China, but you are more likely to get killed and have your equipment stolen.

Where are you Seeing the kuratas stats and variants? It's been a long time since I checked their website and I only remember seeing the one

>Kuratas is insanely fast and manoeuvrable comparatively
It can barely fucking move. Compared to military tank treads? You best be joking.

Actually guys, we don't know WHAT Japan will send out in the fight.

The Megabot mk3 was being advertised as the mk2 successor designed for mecha vs mecha combat.

Suidobashi however, has been quiet about the modifications they've done to the Kurata. They might even surprise us with a Kurata mk2 on the battlefield.

Pretty there was a pilebunker attachment listed on their website somewhere. I don't think anyone's ever coughed up the cash to see it, but if I'm remembering correctly it supposedly exists.

The Kurata could either go two directions

Smaller and faster, like a VOTOM
or
Loaded with Dakka, like the Heavyarms Gundam

yes, the kurata has 5 melee weapons in the site

Drill Javelin
Buzzsaw Claw
Pilebunker
Chainsaw Katana
Rocket Punch

Wait, paintball guns?
How is this fight being scored? If it's a straight fight then bringing a bunch of paint guns doesn't seem like a good idea, so... what's the deal?

we don't know how the point will be based.

But if we're following point-based paintball tag, the rules is that points are only scored if you land a shot on a bullseye painted on the chest, back, arms and legs. any shots outside the circle don't count.

If we're following elimination-based paintball tag, when you get hit in all parts of the chest, arms, legs and back, then you're out.

We don't know any fight details yet. We just know one will be taking place august this year, and we don't know where.

fellow armchair generals will notice that this fight will be between what is essentially a Tank vs a mechanized infantry.

The Megabot was designed like a tank, including the 2 pilot system.

The Kurata is a more mobile single pilot module with more humanoid controls.

I personally would have went for the drill javelin - the best way to win melee matches is to have better reach.

And there is nothing more satisfying than jousting a motherfucker at ramming speed with a drill.

I hope japan wins it.
America seems more likely to win with pure firepower, but I would like the mecha battles to be more about agile robots wielding swords than just putting a lot of guns on a barely moveable fortress.

>yfw America names his guns the Enola Gay and Lil Boy

Yes, because the Kuratas is so fast and speedy.

youtu.be/2iZ0WuNvHr8?t=1m25s

That video was from 4 years ago, then the next video they had was their response video to the challenge last year, and nothing else. They have had no youtube presense outside of opening the channel and the challenge response.

They may be playing it secretive knowing the duel is coming, and not wanting 'murica to know what's coming and how to counter it. However megabots inc has been pretty transparent as to what theyre bringing to the battlefield. They may be analyzing everything and modding counters.

Guys, please explain this to me. Please.

For the longest time we have had robot battles. Robot wars, and little remote controlled robot fighting leagues. And all of those sound like they might be cool, but I am so bored by the idea that I never even gave them a shot.

Then there is this news. And I know it's going to be lame, as others have said in this thread. I know it's going to be goofy. The mechs are going to move clumsily and slow, and move around with stilted static poses and slowmo fighting that isn't really slowmo.

And yet, why the fuck am I so stoked about it? How come I am so determined to make sure I have that day off of work so I can watch it live on youtube livestream? Why is part of my brain going "cool it, it's going to suck and be sillier than sharkboy and lavagirl", whereas the rest of my brain going "FUCK YES YOU ARE GOING TO BE PART OF HISTORY WATCHING THIS"

I just don't understand it, I really dont.

One concern I have is that Suidobashi are, comparatively speaking, operating on a shoestring budget compared to the Megabot.

I'm not sure if they have the ability to mod their bot to counter the Mega, because it would require money to overhaul the KR01 and up its mobility and reaction speeds etc.

They definitely are staying quiet about what little they do have though. Their youtube channel has short snippets of video of the blowtorch loadout referred to by , while the site fails to mention it.

Like yeah, if they're actually going to show up, it's a given that it'll be some kind of KR02, or KR1.5 at the very least, but I just don't know where they're going to get the money to make it happen. Megabots have insane sponsorship, part of the reason they've been so visible. Barring the ANIME DREAM of the Japanese government shovelling money at Suidobashi as a matter of national pride, I just don't see them having the dosh to customise their bot for mech on mech combat.

>flying across the country to have your robot btfo someone else's robot.
>the adrenaline of having to repair your robot after a hard fought match where you lost your entire drive train, with only minutes before you have to compete again
>that guy from a rival team who has to be carried out by first responders for damn near cutting his hand off after you told him only an hour prior to be careful with those power tools.
>taking pins from other teams and making a suit of armor out of them.

FIRST was cool; when I have kids, I hope they find a fun hobby like it.

Meh, with Boston Dynamic's developments, we can make Real Steel real, and that sounds cooler.

youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY

My FIRST nigga. When did you compete?

2006/07 Team 386 Represent.

And it will be still cheaper than pro football in Europe

Posting Robot Combat.

Aftermath of Tombstone's blade.

>megabonks
>military treads

Pfttttt AHAHAHAHAHA

Meh

I'll better wait for frenchies to make the fuchikomas a reality

Eh, i just cant get excited about this stuff. For some reason it doesn't speak to me.

But for reasons I cant explain, I am totally excited about the coming giant robots battle in august.

Iiiinteresting...

youtu.be/w-g85lOSA8Y