Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Have you ever played a prestige class in pathfinder? What do you think about the recent push for prestige in Pathfinder with Paths of the Righteous?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/WMhRUURm

Old thread:

What's a good build for a cute Android in Numeria?

Well Nanite and Impossible Bloodline are excellent for the setting, so maybe a sorcerer?

Did we get nuked?

This is why you don't post new OPs on page fucking 6 user

Wait until like page 9

I'm not the OP?

Well looks like the old thread got nuked. Let's hope reviewer user is still on.

Help me, I'm planning on playing a fire kineticist! I can't stop myself from having bad ideas and pursuing them!

Into oblivion.

Thats to be expected, after all you're playing Pathfinder

It's a good start in the right direction, with there being some very unique and powerful options being in there.

There's a few I want to try the Brewkeeper, Crimson Templar, and Devoted Muse most. With Dawnflower Anchorite be close behind.

I do hope they release another PrC book sometime in the future, it feels like a fair amount of thought and effort went into this.

I played an arcane savant once, its really good for a librarian witch.

Brewkeeper is actually such an excellently designed PrC, its a little too niche for an archetype, but perfect for what its designed to do

Powerful if your DM allows it to work. Too many things are immune to fire.

Antoinette Hearthsley, NE female Elf Wizard (Undead Master)
First things first, the format. It fucking sucks. The italics and center-alignment make it difficult to read, and the extra picture breaks up the flow even further.

Next point—I don’t generally talk about appearance sections, but if ever one ran on too long, it’s this one. Every sentence seems too long for what it’s really saying. There’s some good details hidden in it that display personality traits, and that’s always good, but fuck me, did we really need to be told that a wizard doesn’t wear armor?

The backstory and personality sections have the same problems, only more so—they’re each a bloated mess full of details that don’t really say anything. An innocuous comment about much of her learning being trivial and impractical seems oddly appropriate for this application. Things like family squabbles are not conducive to building Antoinette’s character, and could simply be glossed over with a token sentence without missing much. Likewise, we don’t need to know the step-by-step details of how she seduced one of her teachers.

As for the IC journals, I closed those tabs within seconds of opening each of them. While I can admire the effort necessary to write them, the font alone killed my interest. That shit needs to be boiled down to just the few bits that display something interesting about her as a character, and inserted into a revised (and severely cut down) backstory. For example: being reckless while also showing initiative could be displayed by the mere mention that she had to dig up graves for research materials.

And it hardly seems worth mentioning that the interests are just kind of lost in the Personality section, barely visible. This shit needs a rewrite, it needs to be streamlined, and it needs to be focused.

Tell me if this is too edgy. Or not edgy enough. I've already played them and my actual bio is way more written up than this so you can't stop me but I want opinions please.

>Orphan living off the streets in the slums
>Bit off in the head, no gang to run with, and no food
>Starving, resorted to cannibalism at one point to survive
>This awakened their inherited sorcerer bloodline (undeath, ghoul themed, thanks mom and dad)
>Now possessing some ability to survive on their own, becomes a drifter and takes up fishing while studying (efficient use of time)
>Confusing their seemingly declining health since the incident for disease, strives to master death, mostly to find a way to dodge or delay it
>Eventually reaching the limit of what a goldless tutorless sorcerer could learn, decides to take up adventuring/mercenary work since it is practice that pays for research materials. Also tired of eating fish.
>Disposition sort of like a forensic detective. Sometimes people die and sometimes they are useful despite that. Doesn't find it gross.

Started neutral neutral leaning just a tad towards evil. Had a personal list of three gods character would be interested in if they ever learned more about them. Came into contact with and interrogated a follower of Urgathoa early on without the party there. Studying books from her and whispering prayers every morning now. Almost certainly on a slippery slope towards evil.

Jarith Rien, NE male Human Vitalist
Y’know, let me just say before I get going: I really liked this guy better when he was just a bland ol’ bard.

That said, the backstory actually does look interesting. It’s irritating that it doesn’t tell much about his origins, but it is wonderfully spooky in its description of how he came to be the way he is. The applicant does a good job at conveying his gradual fall to evil. But then, we have to take a step back and realize that the application never actually says why Jarith is in *this* campaign. He’s mentioned working with a swordlord—who, why, and where? Apparently it’s not involved with the expedition to the Stolen Lands, so whatever. He reads like an NPC who would be a speed bump of an encounter in someone else’s campaign.

The personality is kind of spare, and it and his Interests leave much to be desired. His apparent passion for music could have potential, and the fact that he actually does put up an appearance of being a competent healer could be fuel for an interesting character, maybe present the possibility of either exploiting his façade of compassion or letting it become genuine as he focuses on building and administrating medical facilities, here it’s just kind of put down and forgotten.

Where Antoinette said too damn much, Jarith barely says anything at all.

The game is going to be a Rise of the Runelords game. Are there many fire immune enemies in the AP?

Not a whole lot. There's even a sizable chunk of foes in the lategame that are vulnerable to fire. There's a lot of fire resistance though, both from creatures that have it and characters that can cast (and pre-buff with) resist energy.

Rolled 5 (1d22)

Next up, by random roll...

Sigmund Gulbrand, LN male Human Warlord
We’ve got a decent start going on here—bratty kid has his childhood destroyed, has to mature quickly, and swears to make his family great again. Then we get the mentor character coming in to fuck it all up.

Okay, I’m not opposed to the idea of a mentor character, of him adopting an orphan as his ward, or anything along those lines. What bothers me is that this backstory seems to have been built in reverse, starting with a build and going backwards into justifying it. If you’re going to give your character a nodachi, then at least tell us why, it’s not hard. As it is, this reads like an abridged version of the Black Thorn Knights’ flavor text from Path of War. Sigmund could be left out entirely.

From there, the personality rebuilds a bit of good will. He’s not an asshole, but he’s got some nerves that might be easy to touch, and he knows how to calm down. But it’s not without its problems. If he’s not really invested in the cause of his martial tradition, then why the fuck is he still part of their order? More to the point, if you spent so much of your backstory talking about his training to join their order, why is he only paying lip service to them?

And as for the wondering of what his father must have failed at, that’s something that should be actually spelled out. Was he framed? Was it something involving the Stolen Lands, or a particular Brevic noble house? Without an actual goal to be working towards besides “I’m gonna be a noble again”, this seems like a waste of space.

Also, I fail to see how simply gaining a fuckload of gold really furthers his goals. If he’s going to use it to get back into nobility, say how, and give specific examples. If you can’t think of any, then come up with a different ambition for him to be pursuing, one that fits the campaign.

I AM VENTING MY FRUSTRATION.

ELF SHOULD BE BETTER AT RANGERING.

I WANT DISABLE DEVICE WITHOUT ACP.

>why the fuck is he still part of their order?
Because leaving once you're in gets you branded a traitor and other Black Thorns sent to hunt you down. Oh, and your soul gets forfeit to hell.

Any tips on improving roleplaying? I want to improve as a player for my playgroup.

Think of how you could further the adventure rather than of just what your character would do as a reaction to things going on around him. Be active. But make sure you talk to the rest of the group if you think you're going to trample on someone else's good time.

Just like a quick
>Hey, gonna try this now, we good with that?

Rolled 7 (1d21)

Andrei Garland, N male Human Hunter (Verminous Hunter)
Thankfully, the Appearance section doesn’t overstay its welcome. It basically acts as an extension of the Personality segment, which most good apps should do.

Unfortunately, the backstory doesn’t have much meat. It’s got a nice little blurb of how he got his skills and met his companion, but that’s about it. There’s no ambition there that drives him into the campaign, no interest in what’s going on. It might as well be just another job. I like where the personality goes in terms of making him creepy and repulsive but lovable all the same.

Interests, however, are where this app really shines. Andrei has some unexpected hobbies for a backwoods tracker, and the idea of having a large family could be a gold mine for plot hooks. Giving a quick blurb for why he’s going into either of his chosen kingdom roles is also a good idea.

As I said, this app doesn’t go on too long, but a part of me wishes it’d at least stay for coffee rather than just going straight home.

>Blingmaker has 23 game-starved anons fawning for a chance to be a part of it
It's amazing to think that just the other day it was around 10

Oh joy, oh rapture, it's Azuk the undying next. I'm going to need some time to rest for now, as it's growing late, but I'll be getting around to him and the rest soon enough.

Blingmaker's been doing well its entire app period, it opened up better than any of the other recent games.

I'll try playing more actively rather than reactively!
Luckily the group doesn't butt heads, so I don't have to worry about that.
Thanks~

How do I keep from trampling over the other players when I'm roleplaying a forward, outgoing character that's extra charismatic?

Try including them in your character's actions, inviting them to come with you. If he's forward and outgoing, he'd probably be the one to try and initiate friendships and pull them along with him.

There, you've kept from splitting the group, you've got the group moving towards a goal, and you're playing your character.

If you have Weapon Focus from a Wayfinder and ioun stone, does it qualify you for feats that require weapon focus?

If he's charismatic that means he's magnetic, not a steamroller. He has a strong personality and is good and talking to others.

Speaking of which, how do you stat someone who's terrible at talking to people because they're terrible people but have an overwhelming personality?

In conversation, don't just hog the NPC. Toss your fellow players a bone by turning the question to them. Ask for their opinion before saying anything important to the NPC. And know to stay silent when the spotlight is not supposed to be on you.

Not exactly a pathfinder specific question, but here goes.

I'm finally willing to admit my game is dead, it managed to be ran for years with out a hitch and was overall fantastic, but getting close to the final stretch the group had a bit of a falling out and because of that the game itself couldn't be run with out the PCs that were thoroughly wrote into the plot.
Before anyone asks, yes it involved a girl. The party ranger got cucked by another player

Mostly because I want to see that game get an ending, and because I honestly enjoyed running a setting I built from the ground up to see what players would end up doing to it, part of me wants to re-run it from the beginning with /pfg/, though I'm not sure if it would be in bad taste where as it was both built for other players and it ended so soon ago.

Tl;Dr should I re-run a game with out its old players?

Still low Cha, I think. Your overwhelming personality just has the negative effect.

Blingmaker is set in a Golarion AP, of course it's going to be popular.

Would it be really obvious to new players that it is a rerun? If no then feel free. Although it may be helpful to step away from that campaign for a while when it ended on a sour note.

Yeah I'm not sure about that, that's the problem, because Charisma measures "strength of personality". Surely you could be a Wraith with a very, VERY strong personality but still be horrible at talking to people because every other word is kys?

Unless they knew it was a rerun they shouldn't realize. The first quarter of the game was built in advance so it shouldn't be hard to replace X with Y if characters builds are different.

As far as stepping away from the campaign, I'll never get tired of running it and as far as I'm concerned i'm separate enough from the problem that it didn't affect me in any sense other than it killed the game, I'm just worried that it may be looked down on for re-running it so soon after it died.

High CHA but low investment into face skills. Manages to get by some social situations on force of personality despite a lack of tact because they're loud enough in the right way. You know, can intimidate a coward but not anyone with will, can bluff those unwary because they bullshit so confidently, can rapport with people that have right reason to trust them.

We're talking sorcerers with no INT investment for skills and paladins who're allowed on the battlefield but not allowed at formal occasions. Play it as someone hammy, the jock that's flunking English, or the de facto leader of a group of geeks.

Has HR imploded because of Vult and 2hu yet?

How do you justify taking Armor Expert when your starting gold is 175?

Ask questions. You're forward and outgoing, so let yourself be a reason for typically passive characters to be included in the discussion. Ask what their opinion is on the matter, ask questions about their past or future or whatever, make comments about the scenery and ask if the others agree.

Be complimentary. Charismatic people are (supposed to be) liked by people, and people will like being complimented. Simple shit, like saying "wow, that was an impressive fireball" or "you really know how to handle a sword" or whatever, just comment on what they did in a nice manner.

Go out of your way to help. Even if it's meaningless non-mechanical shit, like offering a towel from your backpack after one of the party members gets coated in slime/blood/water/whatever. In fact, it's BETTER if it's meaningless non-mechanical shit, because that always evokes a roleplaying reaction as opposed to just casting Cure Light Wounds after battle. You get to be outgoing, and the other players get to react to you being outgoing, so everybody gets to contribute.

Be the first to push someone to do something. You're outgoing, which usually means you're the first to react in a conversation. Do that, but use that opportunity to shoehorn in another character. Comment about how you remember ____ knows how to brew medicines, or how _______ is an expert on religious symbols. It shows that your character is more comfortable making conversation, but still lets everybody else at the table have their special moments.

Essentially, be outgoing FOR your party, not in spite of it. Take the spotlight, and then grab party members at random to pull into the spotlight with you.

How does monster lore work by RAW?
Let's say you have a Demilich sitting on a pedestal.

Do all characters know something is a monster by default? By the rules, you do not need to roll knowledge to KNOW something is a monster or not. Just their abilities.

So by just rolling perception, you can detect that it is indeed a creature in the open.

No it's going strong and it sounds like they had a fun last session with a dance battle

Yeah, though it would probably be rolling Disguise with a pretty hefty modifier if it just looked like a jeweled skull.

It has zero disguise skill points and I am asking by RAW here.
Naturally GMs do not say "You see a hoard of treasure, on also unknown monster on top of it the shape of a skull"

Thanks, everyone. I'll try to enact this advice. Hopefully it'll work out great!

>dance battle
Sounds like randumb bullshit.

Any spoilers of Heroes of the Darklands out yet?

This is something that strays a bit to 3/3.5e here, I got a question, was it ever clarified on whether or not can you use Feycraft with Bastard Swords or Katanas?

I mean the RAW also tells GMs to use their judgement.

In what year does Ironfang Invasion take place?

Just released so 4717

Protip: you don't. Too much investment to make use of the trait properly. Pick Reactionary or one of the save booster.

That could be really cute. Is anyone thinking of running Iron Gods?

>There are people adventuring RIGHT NOW who don't remember where they were when House Rogarvia disappeared

I still cant decide if the dance-off is a great idea, or a stupid one. On the one hand it is a fun use of skill checks. On the other, I see Stifler dancing in the gay-bar in my head. Wish we'd get logs for that encounter.

I was. But I need a prereq during sommer semester for another class inna fall. Not enuf time for me to do a good job of it.

It'd also be shit all over by 2hu.

Have you played with 2hu or r u just aboard the h8 train?

Hey, this must get asked quite often but I want to GM my first pathfinder campaign tonight with a group of friends on roll20 and I'm looking for a premade one, something rather simple (we are all beginners, only had a trial test run yesterday ).
Is there any places I can look for something like that or anything you'd recommend?

What sort of spell let's you conjure up cool glowing (I'm going to guess celestial) Lions?

Dragon's Demand, Rise of the Runelords and... Damn, forgot the name of it but the campaign takes place in I believe Nirmathas.

The basic Summon Monster spells, most likely.

Are there any interesting Sorcerer Bloodlines that you don't think get enough attention?
Joining a game in Goka and I'm not sure what sort of character to make.

Rise of the Runelords if you want a typical fantasy adventure, Curse of the Crimson Throne if you want a story with slightly darker Horror vibes. There are plenty of good modules out there for beginners, but those two are the most involving and appealing imo.

Why should I play a kitsune when I can be an agathion aasimar?

Kitsune if you want to be a traditional folk-story trickster, Agathion if you want to be a wise, Celestial emissary for Inari.

Can an Agathion-blooded Aasimar child of Kitsune gain Magical Tail? Is this even a thing that happens in Tian Xia to those favored by Daikitsu?

Speaking of crimson throne, have we had a /pfg/ CotCT game yet? If not, someone get right the fuck on that.

Yes, it's still running.

Group A all agreed for a rather lighthearted, animesque tone for their game. 3/4 of the party is various shade of kemonomimi and we also have a shota trap and a gamergirl idol so that's fitting. We still plan on having more serious moments but things like a gang of greaser ratfolks, dance battles and casting tailful polymorph on defeated enemies are going to be present.

Just as a reminder, this version of HR was supposed to be not entirely serious and brighter from very premise, just focused more on hipsters and arts majors rather than anime. Group B went down that original path if I am not mistaken.

Pic related, GM's rendition of ratfolks' boss.

What?

Logs of dance battle, please.

You want to be an actual fox transforming into a human-like form rather than human with fox bits. It fits some stories better. Or you want Dexterity instead of Constitution.

>Celestial emissary for Inari.
Zenko kitsune from Bloodforge Infusions.

Say, which metals do I use if i want to make a weapon thats considered "inherently holy"?

Cold iron? Mithril?

My character in the setting fights against Japanese youkai, oni and stuff

Meteorite Steel, attach to whatever mechanic you want

Is it even an available special material?

Celestial Mithral. Cold Iron would do as a similar by association to fey being weak to it.

If you're willing to brew, I'd say weapons made out of wood from trees grown near the local shrines, basically carrying a bit of the local holy power with them.

pretty sure it's not, hence why I said to just scratch the name off something else so you can use steel given directly by the gods.

Daily reminder Celestial Mithral is actually a 3pp material.
Check the source of it on pfsrd.

Andrei here, thanks for the review! I was thinking the same thing but you gave me a good idea on how to extend his backstory and motivations. I think he more clear-cut motivation to go to the Stolen Lands now, but what do you think?

>asked a question before going to sleep last thread
>thread gets deleted
>never gonna know the answer
Anyway, how do I get my GM to allow Autohypnosis?

Regarding that, what blingmaker characters were reviewed in the last thread?

Those reviews are now gone, for those of us who went to sleep last night.

Serpentine, Impossible, Nanite, Imperious, Sylvan, Abyssal, Infernal for summoners. This isn't a bloodline, but Wishcrafter is fun as fuck, too.

Usually it's Arcane or nothing.

That's pretty edgy.

Sup fa/tg/uys. I'm playing a Ratfolk Shadow Assassin in Pathfinder. Just gotta say; it's a real joy tearing through everything in my way. But my real question is should I multi/prestige class at some point. I have considered Shadowdancer heavily; at least until level three. Does anyone know any good throwing classes to pair with my Assassin?

>not including aberrant
You had one job.

Lantern Archon casts continual flame as a 3rd level cleric spell or as a 2nd level wizard spell? And if so, where does it say it?

The universal monster rules for spell-like abilities states: “Some spell-like abilities duplicate spells that work differently when cast by characters of different classes. A monster’s spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order.”

Look it up on archive.4plebs.com.

Search for pathfinder in the subject field, you'll find the deleted thread.

>Anyway, how do I get my GM to allow Autohypnosis?
You might to do something you won't be proud of...

Never thought of it like that.

Found it in the Archive, and nobody answered my question. I ask again, how do I get my GM to allow Autohypnosis?

Ask him?

Face down, ass up. Seriously, just ask.

>"Hey GM can I use so [so-and-so] content from [so-and-so] book?"
>Show GM book
Was that so hard?

Can I have a quick rundown on Old Man Jatembe?

I already did. He said no.