I don't know what I'm doing edition.

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

how problematic is this?

Sometimes you just want to make some jank

bump

>takes 12 turns to activate, 15 to fully play
>doesn't work 50% of the time
>tiny effect

This is the shittiest rare ever.

The "turn face up" bit won't function.
The game rules will say "nope, can't have an instant on the battlefield, don't do that".

Balance the Scales
1U
Instant
As an additional cost to cast ~, exile the top card of your library.
Counter target spell if it has the same converted mana cost as the exiled card.

Relies too much on Top.

The graveyard ability is very strong - compare it to Anger. It either needs a cost (just R will do) or some other conditional.

The first part relies on the honor system. The second part doesn't work, and the morph rules are very complicated that you can't just hack it on.

Over costed and honestly not that good.

It's OP as fuck, isn't it?

First part actually functions fine. You don't have to reveal that the thing you're playing as a Morph is actually a morph creature, since it's pretty damn obvious when you clean up and the facedown was a plains.

Body is a good body with a trash activated ability.
Soul would be fine in draft, silly in constructed. Could benefit from a cost on the draw or an "opponent's discards" rider on the play-off-discards.
Reunited is trash. I'd REALLY rather have Body and Soul than Reunited. The first ability is a trashy winmore that'd require setup. The second and third abilities are the sort of thing you'd see at CMC 2.

Well, Intimidate is a dead keyword, and it doesn't belong in white anyway, and neither does its replacement Menace, so there's that. You also have a monowhite card with haste, another issue. Soul's abilities post-keywords feel more black than red, and a non-Dragon, non-Phoenix in red having flying is kinda questionable. So is an Angel. Body is fine other than the Intimidate issue. Why is Reuinited white? Why does it let you cast from exile when neither piece of it deals with that? Why does it have a blue ability like that to begin with? It doesn't even seem related to its parts. The whole thing is kind of a mess, honestly.

Too unreliable in my opinion. Needs too much scry to make work.

There's a reason Manifest has the caveat about "if it's a creature".

Pretty good. Him being Naya flavored really makes me want some 5+ power mechanics but honestly, this is fine too. I agree that a low mana cost might be necessary on the last bit. Maybe R/G hybrid?

Wait, I take that back, I guess she lets you revisit the Madness cards you exiled, but eh, still a mess in my opinion nonetheless.

When you cast a thing with madness and it resolves, it goes to the 'yard.
Madness just makes things skip through exile on their way to the yard and gives you a chance to cast them, it won't ever stick something in exile and leave it there.

Oh whoops, you're right and I'm tired. I shouldn't have second-guessed myself. I was thinking of Flashback or something.

I should also specify that I forgot about the changes to the Madness reminder in SoI. Again, tired. Not even waiting to have all my thoughts together before I post.

I'm making a card game similar to Magic. Anyone got cool keywords they've come up with?

What kind of themes are you looking for? What is the planned priority of each faction of the game? A little more context for this would be good.

It's a magic-esque card game pet project I've worked on this semester. With inspiration from Magic, Wow TCG, and the game Path of Exile.

Really looking for concepts around how you play cards like Convoke (can tape creatures to pay mana cost) Kicker (Additional cost for additional effect) and other thematic ones like Unearth (Return to play for 1 turn)

Spring break is over, so I'm back to being short on time. However, I did find the time to revise these. Changes range from minor cost/wording adjustments to flavor text alterations to major changes in function (specifically on Grisly Harvest). Feedback, as always, is much appreciated.
Solid. Very Naya. I like it.

Thanks man, I do kinda like her.

Slow night around here. I guess most of us have social lives.

>01
Not really feeling the First strike here. If it were an Assassin, I could see it, but I usually don't care for it just being tacked onto black cards unless, like Flash, it's there to make the card work. I do appreciate the self-synergy though.

>02
Classic suicide black.

>03
Good synergy here, obviously. I like the fact that it has an ability green likes and a green activated ability that gets it there. Very thematically pleasing.

>04
Still fine.

>05
Boring goodstuff creature, but will be a heavy draft favorite. Honestly the Deathouch is unnecessary.

>06
It's really a shame the Banu didn't get Delve.

>08
Amusing that you made this and Amonkhet has the same thing at 2B, if I recall. Obviously fine.

>09
3BB for a 2/2 and two 1/1s seems a bit underwhelming when you can get two 2/2s for 2BB, but you can't really make it instant unless you maybe flip-flop the costs and go 2B to cast and 1B to Escalate? Still pops Pinnacle and all that either way, but I could be wrong on the notion here.

>10
Much better than GGG.

>11
I feel like this needs a bit more. That indestructible cost is steep for it not to do anything on its own already. At least a +1/+1?

All in all, pretty decent. Channeler and Tomb-Keeper are my favorites.

Nothing new to post so I'll just repost the one passable mechanic I've made in years. Got a bit of cardmaker's block tonight even though I want to make cards. Kinda sucks.

>Path of Exile

The biggest thing you'd want to capture mechanically from PoE would probably be links.

Maybe some kind of splice like effect, with spells that can add their effects to another spell you cast? I'd avoid splice itself, and look at less parasitic ways to use the same "add this card's effects to that spell" mechanic. Hmm..

Gravesplice: Basically triggered flashback. Pay a cost and exile the card to add its effects to a spell you're casting.

Chainsplice: Splices itself on to the next spell you cast. A kind of kicker, but with a cumulative effect the more chain spells you cast.

Creaturesplice: I think this actually does work mechanically, but I'd limit it to creatures with etb effects to avoid tons of memory issues.

Seconding splice abilities, though it can really make counterspells feel terrible, and it can complicate whatever passes for the stack in said game. I guess we'd need to know more about it.

So... I thought this up. I'm not sure how good of an idea it is (the keyword I mean, not the card, which needs a better name).

Is it good? Spider behemoth combo

Tons and tons of memory issues, not to mention the various weird things that could happen if the sources of any of those triggers change controllers or zones.

Not sure you're in the right thread there, chief.

>though splice abilities can really make counterspells feel terrible

You could write up spells a bit like ICE in Netrunner, with line by line effects, and then make most counters only hit a single effect rather than the entire spell.

It would also give you some more flexibility to play around with exactly which effects of a spell can be spliced.

Sorry, high as fuck playing m2015

>memory issues
What issues besides forgetting what it does?

>trigger source shenanigans
I suppose; there's a reason why they don't make many cards that trigger triggered abilities manually. Honestly I figured it wouldn't be that big a deal since it just basically makes its own ETB stuff go off when it dies, and makes other creatures' "when something ETBs" stuff go off, but I guess I didn't think it through?

That sounds like a cool idea but with all that this would not be a very simplistic game. Of course, MtG isn't either and it tries to be, so...

Made some bad cards. Wanted to fuck around with red, and decided to go with a future theme since that's what's been kicking around in my head as of late. Sorted by rarity, starts with the artifact stuff. Yes, I'm aware there are non-artifact constructs, think of, say, Blade Runner / GitS / Shadowrun / etc.

Followup explanation post stuff:
>Ghostly Echoes
Simple clone spell. The idea is that you either use it offensively, or send attackers down the "wrong" path by cloning a possible blocker in an emergency. Could have easily been blue, and there was a very small amount of time where these cards were going to be UR.

>SQL Injection
Cheeky name, otherwise it's just a variant on that new red enchant we're getting in AHK. More keywords, bigger cost.

>Shell-Stealer Rootkit
Mindjacking, plain and simple. Based on Wrangle, I tried to give it looser restrictions in exchange for downside if you let the creature die. Not sure if it actually feels more interesting than Wrangle, though.

>Mindjacked Servitor
A combo of Soulbright Flamekin, Desperate Ritual, and more standard red creatures. I just realized that you can feed the red mana she generates back into her ability, which is unintended and ungodly busted. Fuck.

>Street Samurai
Nothing too interesting here, actually.

>Refugee Slums
Tried to make an interesting land. I wonder if it would be worth fetching in a format where that matters, or if it's still not good enough.

>Hacker's Tag
Not a lot to say here. I think I did something cool with the last ability, but maybe it's a bit weak stand-alone.

>Marcomodded Courier
The pride and joy of this one-hour design bash. Gives red a multi-burn effect (that may be too good in hindsight- I meant to keep her a 3/3 but forgot to do so), and the ability to pay huge mana in order to get a chance to do it again.

I like a lot of these, but future sight frames should be reserved for a, "What if we tilted the color pie counter-clockwise/clockwise?" not, "This setting is a little out there but everything is still in their slices."
Anything I don't comment on is fine.
>Pocket
Needs to be 2 to cast. +2 power is a pretty big deal for making trades mid game and can turn a spirit token into a genuine clock as well as being good for crewing. The reach really pushes it as well, and I'd consider making it uncommon.
>Ghostly
Copying a creature for a turn is a pretty strong effect and I don't think printing it under common is safe. This is also a pretty solid removal spell due to instant speed sense it lets you trade in a fake creature and get entry trigger value. Needs to be at least 1RR. Maybe drop to instant.
>SQL Injection
Unless this set has ways to remove -1/-1 counters this could just be RR.
>Mindjack Servitor
This is pretty dang insane. At worst it's a ramp card that took some prep. I really think this needs to be at least 3 mana, or restrict the pump effect to only be used during combat and reduce the refund amount to like 4.
>Street Samurai
Indestructible isn't very red. I think First Strike would fit a lot better, or menace.
>Refugee Slums
This being a basic land type really pushes it to be too strong. it allows a lot of fixing without costing you life like a shock normally would. I don't think making a strict upgrade to Crumbling Visage is a good idea.
>Marcomedded Courier
I think picking one of the 3 at random to cast, and reducing the dash cost by 1 would be a good call. R doesn't do pure, any spell cheese. They really only do creatures, and this would be a good way to balance out that shift from the norm.

The are I took more inspiration from was the attributes and equipment, but I do like the support gems too. I like the ideas!

Chainsplice is probably what I like the best.

Maybe I can post it when I get further, the rules are a little bloated right now but I like where it's headed. It's like WoWTCG (lesser extant hearthstone) where you pick a hero. Instead of lands you discard cards to play resource cards from a side deck, that provide special abilities or castable abilities. Uses an attribute system along with normal attack and defense that determine combat and what items and spells you can play. It sounds a lot more cluttered than it is.

But attacking is similar to Magic, however some keywords allow you to attack units directly. Equipment is a main part of the game unlike WoWTCG where it was more or less optional. There are basic equipment cards that can be played once a turn like lands.

Forgetting is the biggest memory issue. You're unlikely to forget the card's own etb trigger, but any other number of abilities may have triggered by the creature entering the battlefield and you need to remember all of them. Especially if the trigger's source wasn't a permanent (Beck//Call, for example).

And actually, source shenanigans aren't even the biggest issue. The thing you need to decide is what happens if the trigger conditions were true when the creature entered the battlefield but not when it leaves.

Would cards like Elemental Bond or Ally creatures, for example (and you can make a reprise creature an Ally with a variety of effects), trigger or not when the reprise creature dies? Their conditions aren't true, but reprise tells you to trigger the abilities anyway.

This gets even weirder with cards like Ephara's Enlightenment. Can you return it from zones other than the battlefield to your hand? Normally, no, but reprise is telling you to put all the old triggers on the stack regardless.

I don't think any of these issues are actual rules paradoxes, but they're complicated enough that a keyword mechanic shouldn't be bringing them up.

(You could kind of simplify things by having it create a token copy of itself that's immediately exiled, but then you'd get whatever relevant etb triggers exist currently instead of copying whichever triggers happened when it first entered. Plus you'd potentially double up on leaves the battlefield triggers)

Wait. If reunited lets you cast from exile, and body and soul are exiled, what happens if you recast them? I'm not terribly familiar with MTG corner cases.

Yeah uniques in PoE feel a lot like Magic cards. That's probably one of the reasons I like the game so much, there's a lot more room for brewing wacky mechanics interactions than in almost anything else.

Attacking creatures directly is probably something about this game I would like the most. It always irked me that you couldn't do it in MtG, though. I guess we have Fight but only certain creatures being able to do it always felt off.

>forgetting
Well, as with any "repeatable operation" card I guess that's an issue, but I guess bias didn't let me see it being a big one.

I also, honestly, didn't see "dies = ETB" being a huge issue. I figured it'd just happen like ETB happens and that'd be that, but it seems there are a ton of fringe cases where it just doesn't work smoothly. I suppose the lesson here is "don't design cards when you're tired". So, I'll just shove off for the night.

I took a few minutes and gave it a shot.

When you meld two cards, they're exiled, then returned to the battlefield transformed, but because meld is not transform, the two cards become a single card because each of the original two have half of the melded back on them.

>Choosing the exiled spell at random
That's... actually a really sweet upgrade to it. I wanted it to be possible to hit a land, but that's not really Red either in a lot of cases, and it's free regardless. I also like it when I can make things cheaper rather than more expensive, so this really hits on all sixes for me. Hell yeah.

>Slums
Yeah, trying to balance getting a basic subtype is far from my expertise. I did consider a more complex "ETBs tapped, you can get a mana, but if you do it doesn't untap during your next upkeep", but that's a bit more complex than I want to go.

Other than that, most of my problems come from costing things properly. About what I expected, honestly. Oh, and

>Street Samurai
Based loosely on Renegade's Getaway, which isn't red at all. Might end up letting him sack for damage, maybe spawn them in tapped and attacking instead... Not sure. I feel like "artificers" have a lot of possible design space left, especially in Red.

Forgot to make it a sorcery, but you get the idea.

Refugee Slum is strictly better than a basic Mountain, which is pretty much the one line that nonbasics can't cross.

You could force it to etb tapped and have it add any color except red, though. Or just ally colors, if you wanted to be even safer.

Any color but R is still too strong. Then it just becomes a, "Im in RXX and thus this will fix me quit well without costing HP."

>Aftermath cards read as This /to/ That
>immediately think of this card

Is it really that hard to write "enters the battlefield or dies"?

Okay guys, need some advice for a couple of cards.
1/2

2/2

This is the most bloated and ugly rules text I've seen outside of the Animate dead reprint. Why hexproof? Why is the ability more convoluted than Balduvian Shaman? Why is there an X/X nonlegendary token without a color and still with a name? Argh fuck this.
Boring limited fodder

Would quests that transform into your reward be a ok idea?

Example

Quest for the fountain
G
Enchantment - Quest
Landfall - put a quest counter
Remove 3 quest counters, transform ~.

Fountain of Youth
Land
T: add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool, you may gain 1 life.

Yeah thats probably why it felt like a natural idea combo to me. One thing I didn't like about the WoW TCG was that despite having a fairly cool equipment system, the way the game worked you pretty much either A. only ever equipped 1-2 items (like Magic with artifacts) or B. Built an entire deck around decking out your hero. In my game equipment cards are essentially the "lands" so you get to play an equipment every turn. "Legendary" equipment has more unique effects that enable builds, but that equipment has a play cost.

Yeah I like the idea that you can't inherently attack directly because I think it adds a little depth, but I had some ideas for keywords that would let you attack directly instead of clumsily using Fight.

The first was a Redish keyword "Execute X" which would let you attack creatures below X health (in my game damage doesnt fall off)

The other is Assassin for attacking exhausted creatures. And a few more for more niche circumstances

Execute feels more Orzhov in flavor to me than it does Red. That's the only input I really have, though.

I want to do a top-down design on a medieval fantasy set, but I'm struggling with keywords. Knights, Castles, Kings, Money, Heroes, Magic, Peasants, Siege Engines. These aren't keywords themselves, but they're a place to start.

One thing I thought of was Duel, but I'm having trouble representing it. I'd probably start with Fight. Perhaps the creatures fight, and then heal each other and don't untap until their controller's next untap step? It'd kill anything too weak / unskilled for the duel, and if they bounce off of each other, they just won't untap. If the duelist is too cocky, he dies, but keeps the other creature at bay for a moment.

Another idea was greed, I.E. gold tokens. I love the idea accruing a big pile of gold tokens and using them to win in a control deck. "Gild" is, "When this ETB, create a tapped gold token that has 'T: Sacrifice this token: add 1 to your mana pool.'" The reason for them being tapped is that it gives you more design space to work around- you can donate gold to your opponents without turning on high-cost instants in their hand, and you can't sacrifice your tapped gold tokens to fizzle an opponent's ability that steals gold from you.

How would you design around dueling and greed, Veeky Forums?

Hey look, I fixed it

>{1/B}
That's the dumbest thing I've seen on this board in a long time.

Read what it does again. Though, we've already decided it's too complex to keyword so it's been dropped.

Yeah I think it's kind of a nifty idea, at least as far as card concepts go. Could be good flavor for a set.

UU
counter target spell
that spells controller draws a card

would this fix modern?

bump

I like it. I've always liked quests. Not sure about the enchantment subtype though. I like the quest counters getting added by landfall + transforming into a land.

Card draw for 2 at instant speed? Not happening!
That's some Asanagi, right?

Hmm I saw it as a more as Rakdos? (R/B) thematically at least. Could be wrong though, keep in mind my mechanics aren't necessarily limited to MTG's color wheel.

I should probably try to think of a "This unit can attack X unit" for each color (I have 7). Before someone tells me more colors don't work I split up a lot of the mechanics around (Blue is more ice based, and the "magic" effects are moved to purple.)

I want the ability to attack units to be holistically a little less common than Trample is in MTG. I want it to be a common keyword.

I'll link my current template. I made it 95% myself by hand in MSE so I'm somewhat proud (including all the symbols and frame images, but also self conscious that it looks retarded.

If anyone is interested in helping me I'd love it. I can post more if its interesting. There's absolutely no resemblance of balance right now.

mh pretty good, that's pretty balanced

Overcosted by one.

One isn't a red effect, and it doesn't combo with 3720.

Bump.

Look, you're trying to grade a joke card like it's a serious card. This is like saying Cheatyface is bad because it fails the bolt test. If the template had a silver border, this card would be silver-bordered.

Also, not all the aftermath cards combine well. Some of them just have nice little extras you can cast later. E.G. Dusk // Dawn, Rags // Riches.

Might be useful in EDH since you can pay 3 to bottomdeck a card you don't want to draw. Costs might be too expensive, though, but it's supposed to be jank.

Inspired by Stone Tower Temple from Majora's Mask.

>Asanagi
yea boi

Play with the bottom card of your library revealed.
If you would draw a card, put the bottom card of your library into your hand instead.

Wouldn't even see play.

That's actually sort of neat. And the name and art made me want to see an Enchantment that gives creatures with Haste the old "cannot be blocked except by creatures with Flying" during the first round it's summoned.

Why not "exile a creature: if it's an instant, you may cast it for it's mana cost"

First strike rarely is in black and thus I really think the active costing w/b doesn't fit.

work work

Doesn't really feel too green besides the extra land a turn.
All your lands being a mana and a bolt seems way too good. I'd tone it down to you get one or the other and you can't send the bolts face.

that's an ok concept but it's underwhelming as a card. the land is way way too underpowered. if you ask white to reach 8 lands it's gotta be a big ass reward.
look at Emeria, the sky ruin.

does it come with its own instruction books on how it works with the rules?

when is that supposed to resolve? it's confusing.

just word it " or 4 damage to target planeswalker".

I never showed my cards before. What do you think?

>Kignis
I actually really like it and thats a first for T1 planeswalkers. what sells it to me is the fact that you can redirect its +1 damage on itself, effectively pinging your opponents but not yourself. i also think you can make its -X deal a static amount of damage to yourself/maybe even deal no damage at all?

I gave him ability to deal damage to its controller because hes still a t1 planeswalker that you can use every turn until oponent do something. In fast red decks like burn, you want to make opponent down as fast as is possible no matter how much life do you have when youre beating opponent faster. I think youre right thats second ability its too bad. Ill remove dealing damage to its controller. This will make him better pay off. thank you for the comment

Maybe they should just be soldier?

Yes.

I feel bullied... (The time counter trigger happens on every upkeep, not just your own. It was meant to be flavorful, not good.)

Regardless, here are some commons I was working on. I started with green since that has all four mechanics in the set.

Ignore the fact that there's no art or flavor text on any of these. I just figured I'd get the designs of the cards out of the way before I do any art finding, plus I just couldn't be fucked.

bump

>type feedback for this
>computer BSODs
Fuck you Windows.

Anyway, long and the short: I don't really care for Charge and think it needs a new name. It's parasitic and I'm not really a fan of those kinds of mechanics, but that's just me.

Ambush seems okay but it should be on creatures that force a choice when or when not to use it. The Rattler really doesn't, but the Elf is okay.

Memory pretty much feels like a mechanic I was goofing around with called Remembrance. Card is upthread . It does work a bit differently but seems more limited since you have to write out everything it grants so it's harder to use for things that don't have just keywords or very short abilities.

All in all, they seem fairly solid and there are a lot of them, so I have to imagine it's a big set with little multicolor. I don't see any glaring issues, but I didn't read too deeply. Was more interested in your mechanics than power balance issues.

Memory pretty much feels like a mechanic I was goofing around with called Remembrance. Card is upthread . It does work a bit differently but seems more limited since you have to write out everything it grants so it's harder to use for things that don't have just keywords or very short abilities.
Yeah, I liked the idea of Rememberance a lot, so I decided to put my own spin on it. I hope you don't mind.

>Anyway, long and the short: I don't really care for Charge and think it needs a new name. It's parasitic and I'm not really a fan of those kinds of mechanics, but that's just me.
I disagree to an extent that Charges is parasitic, but I will however change its name to something else. Outside of two cycles in common (Sadistic Huntsman and Overwhelming Strength are a part of), there aren't too many things other than creatures with that mechanic that care about bounty counters. Even then, those common cycles were made for players who want to use bounty counters as a draft archetype. That doesn't mean that I won't understand what you mean though.

>Ambush seems okay but it should be on creatures that force a choice when or when not to use it. The Rattler really doesn't, but the Elf is okay.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to do. Commons are hard to make, man.

Speaking of, just finished the red ones.

Quests we're originally supposed to have a card type. However that got nixed as the card(s) that cared about quests in zen block got axed.

Should be searching a permanent card if you want it to be put on the battlefield.

>Remembrance
Nah it's cool, I'm flattered someone liked it enough to crib it. I don't attempt sets anymore so it'll never get to flex its muscles in my hands aside from whatever one-offs I cook up.

>Charge
Yeah the name just comes off as strange; I was curious what your logic was. I was going to suggest Mark or something since it seemed like these counters were picking out targets. Bullseye... hm. It's better, but still not feelin' it. Personal taste, I guess. Same with my preference for mechanics that don't rely on otherwise do-nothing counters; it's just a design preference on my part. I didn't like Energy and Experience counters either, if that tells you anything. As a result, cards like Revealed Hostility bother me. I have to say though, even though I don't care for Bullseye, I do like how Town Brawler works as a source of counters. Well done.

Masonry Smasher suffers from the same issue as the Rattler, but
>Commons are hard to make, man
is very true, so I'm not hating, just rating. The difficulty in making flavorful, useful, fun commons is why I like making them so much, and even I don't make a ton of them.

Drown in Fire is a bit complex, but it skirts the line. I don't mind complexity in my commons (NWO chafes me but I usually design in compliance anyway, because challenge accepted) so it's probably okay.

As with the green cards, costing seems fine on most of these, and none really blow me away or anything, but they seem functional to what you're attempting. I dare say this feels like it's not your first rodeo (pun intended? Is this supposed to be a western/frontier-themed set? It sure feels like it.)

>common

no