MTG Modern General

Why do I always have to make these threads? It's not hard.

What card out of Amonkhet will see play?

None yet? I don't know, I could see the new Gideon being in a control deck.

Since only like 2 people posted brews from last thread, let's have some more brews. Seriously, let's look at brews, that's what I like about modern, you can sneak a brew or two in there, not only tier 1 decks are viable.

How do you beat Death's Shadow Jund? I'm not really sure on this deck, what are it's good and bad matchups? Seems really solid all around.

I don't know the resources, but I'm sure someone else will post them.

Also Gerry Thompson 5-0d a modern daily with Tezzerator with Whir, list seemed pretty good, he beat Death's Shadow Grixis, Esper Shadow, UW control, Abzan, and Affinity, not a bad showing, what are your thoughts on the deck?

Other urls found in this thread:

starcitygames.com/article/34883_Video-UB-Tezzeret-In-Modern.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Since only like 2 people posted brews from last thread, let's have some more brews. Seriously, let's look at brews, that's what I like about modern, you can sneak a brew or two in there, not only tier 1 decks are viable.
I present to you "Crucible Teachings":

Creatures: 3
1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
2 Torrential Gearhulk

Instants: 29
4 Fatal Push
1 Path to Exile
1 Surgical Extraction
4 Rune Snag
3 Think Twice
1 Deprive
1 Blessed Alliance
4 Esper Charm
1 Anguished Unmaking
1 Oona's Grace
3 Cryptic Command
3 Mystical Teachings
1 Consume the Meek
1 Blue Sun's Zenith

Other Spells: 1
1 Crucible of Worlds

Lands: 27
4 Polluted Delta
4 Flooded Strand
4 Fetid Pools
1 Watery Grave
2 Irrigated Farmland
1 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
1 Plains
2 Drowned Catacomb
2 Glacial Fortress
3 Tectonic Edge
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
22u 16b 14w

Sideboard: 15
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Extirpate
1 Dispel
2 Collective Brutality
1 Celestial Purge
2 Vendilion Clique
1 Timely Reinforcements
1 Pulse of the Fields
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Consume the Meek
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

It's almost certainly too durdly to ever be good in Modern, but I look forward to testing it on Xmage after full AMK spoilers are out. I still haven't decided which 2 mana counter suite to use, or which finishers, but this version feels the most aesthetic to me.

>Why do I always have to make these threads? It's not hard.

Stop making them, then.

Modern threads are just cancerous little mini-/v/s for people who have too little money to play Legacy and lack the social skills to play with more people in Standard.

Why no gifts senpai?

I can't speak to the quality of the threads, but Modern is a better format than Legacy right now, and way better than Standard right now. I can't believe you're seriously telling people to play Standard. It's worthless and it's also about to be completely different.

Great, you should fuck off then

I'd say Modern and Legacy is for people with different styles. I mean, really, if you want to play control, just play legacy.

Is there a pile I can use to get Crucible without adding Green for Loam? If there is I could try a singleton.

that's fair. I guess it feels like that's really the only thing that Legacy has over Modern, as a format.

Noxious Revival, Academy Ruins, Crucible, Value card.

you could add green for Gaea's Blessing

It's also not 65% """"Midrange""""" and Aggro

>Also Gerry Thompson 5-0d a modern daily with Tezzerator with Whir. Thoughts on the deck?
Tezzerator with Whir is the real deal. A guy in my local scene was playing it for a few months and was running a control build with Whir + Pentad Prism and a bunch of 1 or 2-of silver bullet artifacts like Ensnaring Bridge, Spellskite, Nihil Spellbomb and Pithing Needle, alongside Tezz + Thopter/Sword as a wincon. He also had a light smattering of counterspells (mostly Negate, I believe) and Fatal Push, with some discard in the side.

After the first 2 turns or so the deck can pretty much operate entirely at instant speed, and if you're not packing mass artifact removal in your sideboard it can get out of hand really quickly.

From talking with the guy and watching him play against others, it seems like it has at least a 50/50 matchup against most of the current meta, if not better for most decks. It's not great against ultra-aggressive strategies, but the deck absolutely preys upon anyone trying to play a slower game. I wouldn't be surprised if the deck started picking up steam and putting up more results.

It's a sweet deck I just don't feel like being slow and weak to aggro is a good place to be in Modern rn

I play the deck myself. Deaths Shadow Jund can be kind of rough, they sometimes run up to like 5 targeted artifact hate spells. Also what is your play against stony silence? In addition to that, I do think the deck is pretty good. I honestly think it's the best control deck right now, like best true control, which isn't saying much in modern, but still.

Push and Whir for bridge really helped with the Aggro matchup desu senpai

Reposting from last thread, and that's all I'll say on this deck, I really reccomend giving it a shot, it's pretty fun.

Okay guys, here's the list I ended up bringing to fnm, happy with it went 4-1 and I think that's pretty solid. Sideboard is kind of weird, didn't have all the cards I wanted, but it served its purpose.

Land (18)
4x Arid Mesa
2x Blood Crypt
4x Bloodstained Mire
1x Godless Shrine
3x Marsh Flats
1x Mountain
2x Sacred Foundry
1x Swamp
Creature (12)
4x Bedlam Reveler
4x Death's Shadow
4x Street Wraith
Instant (14)
2x Kolaghan's Command
3x Lightning Bolt
4x Manamorphose
2x Path to Exile
3x Terminate
Sorcery (16)
2x Collective Brutality
4x Faithless Looting
2x Inquisition of Kozilek
4x Lingering Souls
4x Thoughtseize
Sideboard (15)
2x Anger of the Gods
2x Crumble to Dust
2x Grafdigger's Cage
1x Lost Legacy
1x Nihil Spellbomb
2x Painful Truths
3x Stony Silence
2x Wear and Tear

Game 1 Vs. Elves
Thoughtseized his CoCo and then bolted his Archdruid and Ezuri. Never drew Reveler or Shadow, but a single lingering souls brought me the distance. Matchup felt pretty good. Boarded in 2 Grafdiggers and 2 Angers. Turn 1 Inquisitioned his Chord. Turn 3 I angered his board and he just couldn't come back from it, he had me dead on board but that deck just gets blown out by Anger.
1-0 Game 2 Vs. Ad Nauseum
Brought in a Lost Legacy for any combo matchup, real happy I did. Game 1 I had a good draw, Inquisition and brutality turns 1 and 2 into 2 shadows turn 3. Really hard to beat that no matter what deck you're playing desu. Game 2 was kind of funny, but I don't chalk it up to a good win, idk. Turn 4 I'm pretty sure he's about to go off. I have 3 lands, I cast Lost Legacy, he pacts of negation, then I played a 4th land and thoughtseized his Angel's Grace. He lost on upkeep.

Well fuck, post some lists. I'm sure I've got lost of the money cards from affinity

2-0 Game 3 Vs. Jund
Honestly a really boring and long matchup. Game 1 we are just 1 for oneing, until I play a Souls. Souls is really good against Jund it seems. Literally just Souls alone carried me to the finish line, because you really can't 1 for 1 souls, and he never drew pulse, card is really good. I boarded in 2 painful truths and a wear//tear that could be discarded if it needed to. Game 2 he had that Jund draw where they thoughtseize your hard removal, then play goyf, then play Liliana and you can't win. Goyf is a real good card and can end games quickly, especially with a Grim Flayer follow up. I just couldn't establish anything, didn't draw well at all it seemed. Game 3 is where Reveler really did some work. This time I'm on the play, he has the answers but I had the threats, I drew some souls he drew a Jund Charm, I killed his Goyf, he killed my Shadow. But then I hit Bedlam Reveler. Board State wasn't great, I had 1 Souls Token, he had a Lili at 3. Played Reveler into drawing another reveler, and a souls and a land. Played Souls, attack Lili down to 2, pass turn. He topdecks pulse, pulses my souls, -2 Lili. But now I have another Reveler in hand. Played Reveler and drew another Revler. That carried me to a win. I really really like the card when you're in a grindy matchup, that really won me the game there, topdecking a reveler feels amazing.
3-0 Game 4 Vs. GB Tron
Matchup doesn't feel unwinnable, but turn 3 natural Tron into Karn on the play is really hard to beat. My hand wasn't great, but it didn't get any better with a Karn out. Never got anything going game 1. Brought in the Stony Silence and crumble to dust. Starting hand was a 1 lander with looting and 2 silences and some other not great stuff cause my deck really doesn't match up well against Tron. Missed on the looting, and I didn't hit my second land until turn 4, what do you do. I think I want to try that matchup a bit more, it really doesn't seem unwinnable at all.

3-1 Game 5 Vs Bant eldrazi
Death's Shadow is great against Eldrazi. If you take away their Path, there's nothing they can do. Had a good first hand. Opponent kept a pretty heavy hand, 2 Nobles, a thoughtknot, smasher, and a stirrings. I Inquisitioned the first Noble away, and then turn 2 I Collective Brutality to kill his second and take his Stirrings. Death's Shadow the next turn ended it quick. A big advantage to this deck it seems, is you don't run out your reveler until you had to. No one boarded in GY hate against me, which was really convenient. At least none that I saw. Didn't know what to board, didn't really have to much it seems. Game 2 got pretty grindy. All I want to say, is that Displacer is a card that has to get killed. Souls Tokens kind of held off his guys, and his drowner tapped down my guys until it ate a terminate. Then I drew a Reveler, and he carried me to the promised land. The really great thing about Reveler and Faithless looting in the Graveyard is that you get 3/5 cards. That's really good selection. Played Reveler, drew path Wraith, land, flashbacked Looting, drew terminate land, discarded 2 land. Next turn drew Souls, then cycled into a bolt. That carried me to the end.

Not sure if I can have a good Tron matchup, better than Jund maybe but not good. Also didn't play burn. Deck felt good, I'm happy I made it and if anyone has questions about it I'd gladly answer them. In conclusion I want to say I feel like Reveler has some untapped potential. He's the Grindiest card imaginable. I see people playing him in UR decks, makes no sense with counterspells. I see people play him in Burn decks, makes no sense you just want more burn spells. I think the deck he wants, is a grindy, tappout style deck, where you 1 for 1, until you come out on top. Empty hand and empty theres, and then if you topdeck a Reveler, it's some great value. Solid deck I believe, if anyone has some constructive criticism, or suggestions I'd be happy to hear it.

>Goyf is a real good card and can end games quickly,
Literally what we've been telling you

starcitygames.com/article/34883_Video-UB-Tezzeret-In-Modern.html
This is the list he 5-0d with
He mentions the sideboard seems all over the place, which I agree with

>Also what is your play against stony silence?
The guy I was talking about splashed green for Abrupt Decay in the side for if it hit the battlefield and Negate + Thoughtseize for getting it beforehand.
I think this is the list the guy at my local scene based his deck off of, although I know for a fact he changed a few things.

Lands
1 Breeding Pool
4 Darkslick Shores
1 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Flooded Strand
3 Ghost Quarter
1 Inventors' Fair
2 Island
4 Polluted Delta
2 River of Tears
1 Sunken Ruins
1 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

Spells
2 Fatal Push
2 Collective Brutality
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Whir of Invention

Artifacts
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Executioner's Capsule
2 Mox Opal
1 Nihil Spellbomb
4 Pentad Prism
1 Pithing Needle
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Sword of the Meek
2 Thopter Foundry
1 Trading Post
2 Welding Jar

Planeswalkers
4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

Sideboard
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Collective Brutality
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Herald of Anguish
1 Pithing Needle
2 Surgical Extraction
3 Thoughtseize
1 Witchbane Orb

Splashing Green is a meme. Literally no room for it desu.

Wow, you're right, every deck that doesn't run Goyf is bad, at last I truly see.

Dude, next time, please, please, please use TappedOut for your Deck list and Pastebin for your match reports. If people are interested (I usually am) then they'll read and comment and you don't have to take three posts for something a lot of people don't care about.

That said, I would make room for a 4th lightning bolt.

Good advice, I will do that from now on. But also, do you think Bolt is good right now? Infect is dead, and it seems like the top decks don't care about getting bolted

Golgari Mimic

Lands (22)
3 Blooming Marsh
6 Forest
4 Overgrown Tomb
7 Swamp
2 Woodland Cemetery

Spells (17)
4 Abrupt Decay
2 Go for the Throat
2 Golgari Charm
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Kin-Tree Invocation

Creatures (21)
4 Creakwood Liege
3 Hag Hedge-Mage
4 Putrid Leech
2 Reaper of the Wilds
4 Scavenging Ooze
4 Woodlurker Mimic

Golgari Charm - It's a good card, but not competitive by any means. It's here only for being both green and black.
Reaper of the Wilds - Just another dumb big body.
I may replace Go For The Throat with Maelstrom Pulse.

I've been working on it for a while, but i'm dumb when it comes to manabase and overall consistency, that said i would really appreciate some help.

What would you do to make it more playable?

Different guy, but I think bolt is only good right now if you're not in colours with good removal of you're running snap.
Or a burn deck obviously

It kinda activates my almonds when there's not a playsets of bolts. But it's also going to help you close out games that much faster. If you don't want a 4th bolt, you can try a single temur battlerage. Shadow or Reveler + battlerage just wins games.

I have some suggestions to make your GB pretty competitive if you'll listen.

Creatures (14)
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Dark confidant
2 Kalitas, Traitor of ghet
1 Tireless Tracker
3 Scavenging ooze

Spells (18)
4 IoK
4 Fatal Push
2Thoughtseize
4 Abrupt Decay
1 Collective Brutality
1 Slaughter Pact
2 Maelstrom Pulse

Planeswalker (4)
3 Liliana of the veil
1 Liliana the last hope

Lands (24)
4 blooming marsh
2 forest
4 hissing qaugmire
1 bloodstained mire
3 swamp
4 overgrown tomb
4 verdant catacombs
2 ghost quarter
2 Tec Edge

Savra, queen of the Golgari is pretty nice with creakwood. also you need a sac outlet

Is there any way to make this playable?

No, too much mana for almost no impact, with almost a ton of impact

Shadowborn apostle.

>Want to test brew
>Friend conveniently plays a deck that seems almost designed to counter said brew
>"Nah man just a coincidence :^)"

Test your deck properly. Take it to FNM, Xmage/cockatrice. Or just ask your friend to use more than one deck.

Seems like a shit "friend"
Whenever my buddies want to test, I have affinity, Burn and most of Tron, then I proxy any number of top meta decks to help them out. Isn't that what most people do?

I am sad. Sad that this lil guy isn't playable.

You want shitbrews? Here's a shitbrew:

UB Control

Artifacts (2):
2 Batterskull

Creatures (9):
4 Delver of Secrets
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang

Instants (13):
2 Remand
3 Mana Leak
2 Countersquall
4 Fatal Push
2 Victim of Night

Lands (24):
4 Polluted Delta
4 Watery Grave
4 Mutavault
3 Drowned Catacomb
3 Darkslick Shores
2 Creeping Tar Pit
2 Swamp
2 Island

Planeswalkers (2):
2 Liliana of the Veil

Sorceries (10):
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Thoughtseize
4 Serum Visions

Sideboard (15):
4 Tormod's Crypt
2 Fulminator Mage
3 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Dismember
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Damnation

I got you senpai don't worry

Let the CoCo flow though you

Counters in Modern are trash senpai

>batterskull
>delver
>23 Spells
wew lad

>Delver
>24 lands

Shit, what're you doing nigga?

Here's a "brew". Really a slight modification of cute deck I saw online recently:

// 60 Maindeck
// 15 Creature
4 Arbor Elf
4 Eternal Witness
1 Greenwarden of Murasa
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Spawnsire of Ulamog
1 Panglacial Wurm

// 12 Enchantment
4 Fertile Ground
4 Utopia Sprawl
4 Vernal Bloom

// 4 Instant
4 Early Harvest

// 20 Land
20 Forest

// 1 Planeswalker
1 Garruk Wildspeaker

// 8 Sorcery
4 Genesis Wave
4 Harmonize

// 15 Sideboard
// 3 Artifact
SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 Defense Grid

// 4 Creature
SB: 1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
SB: 1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
SB: 1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
SB: 1 Emrakul, the Promised End

// 6 Instant
SB: 2 Beast Within
SB: 4 Nature's Claim

// 2 Sorcery
SB: 2 Firespout

Tooth and Nail is just better than Genesis wave, T&N just wins on the spot, Wave can still get BTFO

I could try it, though the point of the deck is slapping down a 20+ genesis wave.

Rev up those banhammers

It's really just better to slap down an entwined T&N and just win

How do you fellow burn players deal with abzan? Just hope to hit your paths and palms?
And in the spirit of brews, has anyone tried to run 4 color burn? Splashing black doesn't seem too hard and I could just cut rift bolt for bump in the night

Isn't Abzan not a hard matchup for burn? They don't even run Meme Lightning Helix Goyf anymore.

How about just getting rid of all of them and letting the native inhabitants of the planes we're visiting take charge?

What do you ban to hurt deaths shadow? The namesake? Won't jund/junk just take its place? Good stuff decks are just too strong and reselient to bans.

but then MaRo's special snowflake squad won't get new cards again.

ban goyf

> Have a playset of Snapcasters that I kinda wanna start using
> No scalding tarns
> They are over $50 each
> Nothing competitive with blue right now doesn't also run red.

I should have gotten a playset 2 years ago when they were much cheaper. Fuck.

Oh no it's not a hard match up, I was just wandering if there was any more ways to deal with rhinos and goyfs besides what I mentioned

Merfolk is both Mono-U and competitive. Doesn't run snapcasters though.

Built Sultai Control. Do it for the memes.

>I want to run my Snapcasters
>Play Merfolk, it doesn't run Snapcasters
Is it autism?

4c Burn is terrible. I've tried. The trade off is "extra bolts" in 4c, but you lose a ton of life from lands and end up losing to decks you should have won against. For Abzan, I have extra Skullcracks (I run 4 ACommand, 4 Skullcrack in my 75) along side path. Helps out a lot when they think they can stabilize.

>Nothing competitive with blue right now doesn't also run red.
>State a competitive blue deck that doesn't run red

There's autism, but it's coming from you.

Reminder that this is actually the best card in Amonkhet and Gideon is just overhyped mediocrity. This card gives control a winning matchup against BGx variants and Combo a much better chance at beating BGx midrange.

How? I mean, how exactly will this help any modern deck?

>Merfolk
>Blue
Might as well be green desu cause it's the exact same meme creature tapping mindless shit. Guy said he wanted to play snaps, but you're autistic so it's okay

I'm not seeing how this deck beats tron. Seems like an auto lose

Step 1: Play it. Step 2: Watch as all their discard cards become dead. Liliana is awful against this card too, so they don't even have that. Control decks can run cycle lands with it to ensure value and combo decks only care about not dealing with liliana any more.

>3 drop

So, and correct me if I'm wrong, you play it as early as turn 3 AFTER midrange decks have already used their Iok/ts, to blank the 4- 5 other discard spells they have in their deck? It seems to me like a 3 mana do- nothing card in that scenario.

Now, I could see it in a living end style deck with a bunch of cyclers to get additional value, but even then it's a winmore card.

Either I don't get it, or this is some subtle bait. Or some meme I missed.

that's why you ssg ssg island this t1 family

You can't play it until turn 3, which is a long time to pray it doesn't get discarded to an IoK or thoughtsieze.
If you topdeck and jam it down before it gets picked away, you'll find out that Abrupt Decay is a card.

You should just play modern more. This card is bad.
Discard is hardly relevant after turn 3 anyway

The problem with Shadow is that it turns (most of your) your opponents' gameplan (pressure lifetotal with creatures) against them and it doesn't really have the drawing wrong end of syndrome of traditional bgx since you can just switch to being proactive and kill with a (trample double strike) 10/10 while playing a 50ish card deck. BGx as a whole didn't have the meta share in 2k16 that shadow has now, Tarmogoyf alone isn't a sufficiently overpowered beatstick to justify that.

No control deck is good against Tron obviously you cuck. But it isn't 100% dead to tron. The 2 ways I see, is recurring ghost quarter with Crucible real fast out of the gate, or just building up a quick mass of thopter tokens that can carry you to the finish. It has it's outs, but yes, you are correct, control is bad against Tron.

>playing around a 2 of in most BGx decks.

Combo decks still play leyline, this card serves as a way to win through liliana (something combo decks can't do) and forces them to discard it over a combo piece.

For control, control can afford to play cycle lands, making this card even better for them; it makes their liliana borderline unplayable and turns their lands into pretty reasonable defenders and finishers.

wrong end of deck*

>Crucible + Ghost Quarter lock
>Whir for Pithing Needle in response to Planeswalkers
>Whir for Ensnaring Bridge in response to creatures
>Sac things being targeted for exile to get them back later
The version I played against also had some counter magic, discard, and surgicals. While the matchup for Tezzerator isn't the best, it can definitely hold its own against tron.

Yeah, probably like 60-40 in favor of Tron at best, and that's assuming main board tech or something.

Then the deck is trash. Tron and other big mana strategies are way too much of the meta to just play a deck that loses to them

A 2/2 is way easier to deal with than a counter spells for BGx.
I'd rather take the risk to make you discard a spell that could have gotten you out of a bad situation. Oh no, you're 2/2 blocked my 6/7 Goyf.

Tron's only like 5% right now so it's not that bad

Is it legal to bring and use my Duel Disk at a tourney?

For control, you'd be playing it with cycle lands, so it would be an army of 2/2s. For combo, blocking a 6/7 with your 2/2 lets you stall for much longer than normal.

I don't see why not

You're expecting this go on for a very long time if you're getting to the point where you're actually using the cycle lands.
By this point, I will have gotten my abrupt decay long before you amass that many 2/2's.

Am I really the only one who likes this Lingering Souls more than Ghost Tiddies?

Eldrazi tron is not counted in tron for some reason

>For some reason
Cause they're really different decks bud.

Because it's not. Every Tron build (gx, gifts, monou) utilizes the urzalands to play an over-the-top control game whereas monocolorless is just a yolo midrange list that's looking to get nuts sevens and sixes.

Vendillion Clique exist, its not like control has no answers to Abrupt Decay even if you manage to get it. Besides, if you use Abrupt Decay on Drakes, you aren't using it on a combo piece like Phyrexian Unlife or on a Vendillion Clique that could stop Liliana as well.

They're both tron. It's different than bant eldrazi but they group it with them. Bud.

You actually thought I would use Abrupt Decay on a Drake?
I'm gonna stop giving you those sweet (You)'s now.

Listen bud, Bant Eldrazi and Eldrazi tron are far more similar in their game plan and card selection than Tron is with Eldrazi Tron. Really all Trondrazi has in common with the Tron deck is a couple walkers or 2 and the lands bud. You don't seem to understand bud.

Yes. Ghostly titties win every time.

Drake as in Drake Haven m8

Which planeswalkers would best fit in a midrange Bant shell?

this just potentially shifts the focus of modern from "add g to your xx list" to "maybe add g to your xx list"

Gideon, Ally of Memerange

Wow that sounds like a great idea. Like unironically that sounds like a much better format