EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Synergy with on-color Invocations 10/10" Edition

Previously: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
You are forced to play a monocolor commander you don't already run. Who do you go for and why?

>You are forced to play a monocolor commander you don't already run
probably feldon of the third path.
really cool flavor and i generally stay away from red so i'd appreciate the challenge

>You are forced to play a monocolor commander you don't already run. Who do you go for and why?

Well, easy choice would be just another Goblin. Swap out Zada for Krenko or Zo-Zu or Kiki-Jiki.

But let's not make an easy choice. I'd like to make a deck with Sakashima the Impostor that's all about clone effects. Abuse Mirror Gallery.

Krenko god boss, because I never see mono-red besides of Purphoros and Daretti
I missed out on Commander 2016, and every lgs I went to was sold out on the Yidris deck which was the one I wanted from the beggining. Started building Maelstrom Wanderer in the meanwhile

Yesterday I finally found it, and I can upgrade it a lot with all the Wanderer cards I got. Good feels.

Which general do I choose as a Johnny that can't resist aggressive combo-outs, but wants to try a beatdown or regular old synergy deck?

Marath

>Play with friends last night
>4 player pod
>Playing Intet Dragon Tribal
>One guy's Gissa Ghoulcaller has really hit its stride, so many zombies plus Gravepact to keep our boards clear
>Manage to get down Sarkhan Unbroken
>Figure I will get a turn or two at most to draw a few cards, maybe get a boardwipe.
>Actually manage to get left alone, Gissa player is too focused on continuing to build his board state while the other two players are struggling to stabilize
>Reach 8 on Sarkhan, figure somebody is going to do something
>Nope, people are still too wrapped up in themselves
>Get to Ult Sarkhan
>Kill all three players with Sourge of Valkas damage alone

I love Sarkhan Unbroken so much.

I refuse to believe that the Gisa player wasnt pelting Sarkhan every turn with a boardstate like that.

Did you mention to your friends that you had a planeswalker ready to ult, or are you the asshole that tries to indirectly hide his board state and doesn't announce his spells?

Yeah I call bullshit if he had what you said he had there is no reason gisa couldn't wipe sarkhan off the table. So either your lying or playing with tards.

is that the best mono blue counter commander?
he seems so good.
like the sram of blue

Walker teferi is best by a country mile.

If you wanted counter.dec I would run talrand instead, he is also stronger.

Can you tell me why you think he is so strong? Right now I am thinking you haven't read the card correctly.

Talrand does spellslinging better, Azami does control better, Memnarch and Teferi win games better.

>play voltron
>one issue with voltron is no card draw
>sram gives card draw

in blue
>play counter
>counter is a 3-1 card disadvantage
>baral gives card draw
>gives your counters more value

seems pretty good imo

Every time I +1 him I mentioned it, made sure they knew I drew a card and let them knew what mana I had floating. And like I said, Gisa player was having too much fun building up his boardstate. As soon as I ult'ed Sarkhan he realized that he could have taken care of it awhile ago and pretty much said "Whups, that was dumb of me."

Just pulled a Yaheeni and a Masterpiece Wurmcoil Engine from a FNM pity pack, so I guess that.

Ah yeah, you did misread the card. Check the last 6 words written on the card. Baral in no way provides card advantage.

He would be pretty good if that wasn't there, but read nigga.

>baral gives card draw
Do you unironically, legitimately, literally have brain damage?

You don't just announce the bare minimum of what you're doing, you fuckwit. That's good enough for sanctioned 1v1, not in casual multiplayer.
In the interest of time, you tell your opponents what the ability does, how much you need for it and what resolving it would actually entail, since who the fuck remembers what a garbage wedge planeswalker does and no one wants to waste everyone else's time by reading every single card and consider how it interacts with everything else on the board.

What is the most "that guy" card, edhg?

Scrambleverse, Goblin Game, Eye of the Storm, Knowledge Pool, Shared Fate, Hive Mind, Grip of Chaos, etc.
Basically anything you'd find in your standard Chaos.dec

Definitely Paradox Engine at the moment. Can't wait for the day of the rope

Krosan Grip the engine.
I run it in every deck I have with G in it.

Baral is competitive in French.

>french
LOL

>just play a certain colour, play a certain card that may not fit in your deck, then draw it, then always keep mana open for it

What, do you and your entire playgroup not run any form of combo disruption at all in any of your decks?
Because that's the only reason Paradox Engine can be a problem.

Definitely Leovold, even worse as he's a general
Barring him, Mana Crypt. (which is also probably the primary reason is busted)

There's a lot around, my LGS meta is very combo-heavy. "Does Paradox Engine Resolve?: The Gathering" is not a fun game.

>trading one for one: the commander is good in 1v1
color me surprised

>Be Me
>Playing EDH with freinds at wata
>Fat-Fat wants to do deck roulette
>We use his decks
>Play derevi
>Opening hand has stasis lock combo
>Listen to them bitch and moan all night
>Its not even my fucking deck
>Kill my self
When was the last time it wasn't YOUR fault?

All of them played with me before, all of them have seen Sarkhan Unbroken before, and I even read out all of his abilities twice, once when I cast him and once when he was at 6 when one of the other two players asked me what he did again. Gisa player got caught up in making an army of zombies, and the other two were doing their best to stabilize and not draw attention to themselves. Sometimes people make mistakes while playing, but you can walk away from the table laughing because it was such a funny play.

Like the time somebody played a kicked Rite of Replication on a Dragon Mage and won the game by milling everybody else out.

It's actually because he's the head of the polymorph deck.

Beautiful, Derevi players deserve a special place in hell

Why is mana crypt a "that guy" card. I can't imagine anyone who plays Sol ring to be able to shamelessly hold that opinion.

This. HM for me is Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir. His ability isnt that gamebreaking, but a table with passive durdly players that don't pressure him out of his resources makes it so we all regret it two turns later.

And it used to happen so often, too. Nowadays the people thankfully learned to be more assertive and pack removal/countermeasures.

>I got money and Im ready to combo faster than you

You can run Mana Crypt alongside Sol Ring, and is mostly even better than the old moxen which are banned (ramp 2 is generally more valuable than color fixing). Sol Ring is busted, but it's not nearly at the same level, and after all the aggressive Commander product pushing of it, it's safe to say it's not going away, no matter how much we bitch.

Mana Crypt should be banned because it's supposed to have huge drawback, but because of the nature of the format, it doesn't

Post cards whose older arts are SIGNIFICANTLY better looking , or you vastly prefer over the newer counterpart

>huge drawback
>chance of losing 1/7 of life per turn in a game that's over in a turn or two courtesy of it

So the only difference between someone playing Sol ring and someone playing mana crypt is that you are mad they have money? It's not even that expensive of a card anymore, only 50$.

Stay mad poorfag.

The new one isn't too bad, but this one is one of my favorite magic artpieces overall. I play the english version though, because the TAPpa" is just distracting. I use it as a budget pseudo-ersatz for Null Rod, which I don't own.

>Your combo is interacted with and you're forced into a long game

Huge drawback may not have been the best word choice. The card is broken in any format, regardless of life, but in EDH, it might as well not even have the damage clause

Actually, I've won a couple games because Crypt's users were unlucky with the flips after a gradual groupslug session. The flip is what breaks it though, seeing how even the drawback isn't guaranteed and is hard to plan around.

>Doing deck roulette with some friends
>Hand out my Melek storm/combo deck and Slobad Stax/MLD
>Get GB Jarad Reanimator/Goodstuff
>Watch the Melek player tutor wrong and miss lines of play that would have won him the game
>Slobad guy casts Jokulhaups becuase I had a better board than him
>He didn't have Slobad OR some beatstick that would survive
>Sacced a token to Viscera Seer and flipped Origins Lili in response
>A number of draw go turns later I reanimate a lord of Extinction and kill them
They're decent people, just not good players.

If i'm in the middle of comboing off with Necrotic Ooze with Triskelion and Phyrexian Devourer in the bin, then someone instant speed graveyard hates me, can I just keep comboing off in response and kill them or am I fucked?

best deck to make me feel like a samurai and flinging my enemies while yelling yamate?

The difference between Sol Ring's "I have 2 colorless on turn 1" and Mana Crypt's "I have 2 colorless and 1 colored on turn 1" is very significant
Even if you don't need the colored mana, having 3 mana available makes it even easier to chain rocks into more rocks for stupid ramp into a wincon based on your commander

Making everything into a Samurai work for you?

Is Yasova a fun commander to play?

help /edhg/

i have a huge problem

2 of my commander decks do the same thing (+1/+1 counters)

I am trying to make a Simic deck and realize it will do the same thing again

I like playing this, but it makes it so that my decks are all the same, what should I do? Should I unmake a deck or something?

that's pretty fun.

Looks like I have a new project

Maybe try making something that doesnt involve +1+1 counters?

Or at the least make it so the +1+1 counters have an interesting interaction instead of just making your shit huge and turning them sideways.

Bushido with a new name made evergreen when?

Hexproof commanders, because the player always throws a hissy fit when their guy dies. They never could have envisioned that their commander can die in ways outside of targeted removal.

>Maybe try making something that doesnt involve +1+1 counters?
how?

well i'm making a simic deck now, i have plenty of green and blue cards unused, but simic is heavy on the 1/1 counters, so im wondering if there is something else I should do for simic

Origins Liliana couldn't have flipped because her ability states that a nontoken creature you control must die

It was probably a creature, it's been a while and I forgot what the creature was so i just said token. Good catch though.

>You are forced to play a monocolor commander you don't already run. Who do you go for and why?
Chainer, probably. It's rare that I fuck around with graveyards to the extent that he does.

>Tormods Crypt
My fellow negro I jam one into every edh deck I have its pure upside on top of being a zero drop

I managed to get 3 combat phases off of this thing once

>card disadvantage
>pure upside

>removal doesn't fit my deck!
Just Doomblade yourself. There's no excuse to not include removal. If an opponent can win off a single card, you deserve that lose.

*blocks your path*

When you consistently play with two people who like to use decks that treat the graveyard as a separate library you begin to play Graveyard hate.

I'd play grave hate on principle anyway. Every black deck I play has a Bojuka Bog in it for just this reason. People who don't include answers in their deck are only at the the table to do their own thing and not interact with the rest of the table.

Not him, but removal doesn't fit in absolutely every deck. Ruric Thar, for instance

>Cast a Hellkite Tyrant with haste, hitting the Breya player
>Steal 13 artifacts
>Have 18 total
>"holy shit I might actually do it"
>Maelstrom Wanderer player cascades into Bane on his turn

I fucking love that card though

>sac half my artifacts to Slobad
>keep the rest
>no counters from me :^)

I'd say Ruric Thar should be playing some removal, even if it's not much. It's better to take 6 damage than to let your opponent combo out and win.

why are the people who like this hobby so fucking weird? i've never been to a shop that wasn't crawling with fat neckbeards who stank to high heaven. it's always like a gym locker room in there.

At least play with the stuff that stays active like Leyline of the Void, Grafdigger's Cage and RiP, or the ones that replace themselves like Nihil Spellbomb and Relic of Progenitus

>Hate playing stax
>Want to fuck every combo player at my LGS

What are my options? Right now I'm thinking Jeleva, with a lot of effects that pull cards from their deck, like Praetor's Grasp and Acquire

Hatebears

Exiling from opponents' libraries is an effect I love on cards. UB with Circu is probably the best option for this.
Earwig Squad, Grinning Totem, Jace, Architect of Thought, Praetor's Grasp, Denying Wind, Jester's Cap, Neverending Torment, Nightmare Incursion, Sadistic Sacrament, Supreme Inquisitor, Bitter Ordeal, Extract, New Ulamog, Ashnod's Cylix, Dimensional Infiltrator, Fathom Feeder, Sire of Stagnation, Nightveil Specter, Mirko Vosk, Oona, Dissipate, Faerie Trickery, Void Shatter, Syncopate, Stolen Goods

Sounds like you're just unlucky. My LGS has plenty of normal people.

Bullshit. Thar can find room for removal spells.

Get your head out of your ass, tormod's crypt one of the best silver bullets cards ever printed ffs.

Ruric Thar
rec sage, bane of progress, caustic caterpillar, the list goes on.

You sure are bitching a lot user. In my playgroup if someone drops a planeswalkers people read what it does and then the turns after the controller just says "+1 elspeth" or something along those lines. Are you the little babby that forgets the boardstate perhaps?

Fuck that. Not having removal is just stupid. For once, you're not gonna have him on the field at that start of the game and there's gonna be parts where he's not on the field anyway. Besides, there's plenty of removal stapled on creature ETBs so there's that.
Or is it Gruul player's thing to watch like a bitch when opponent plays disk and just can wait for it to untap because you can't do anything?

I play mono-colorless, because I already have WUBRG built.

Either Hope of Ghirapur voltron or Emrakul the Promised End mana rocks tribal. Hope is probably the more interesting of the two.

You're being a baby. If someone drops a planeswalker, I generally gun for it regardless of how long it takes their ultimate to go off. If a table's willing to let a PW ultimate resolve, they deserve to get punished for it.

Don't cry when all of my swamps tap for BBBB.

Make Vorel of the Hull Clade simic superfriends, instead.

The new art is fucking horrendous. I like the mad meatball

Man, Harold McNeill has made such great art for MtG

>mfw playing yahenni to sac child of alara

Too bad WotC will never hire him again because of his Nazi Giger obsessions.

Name a card better than this, go ahead I'll wait.

bolt

It's ten times worse them unsummon for chirst's sake, and unsummon isn't that great.

It's been proven that Treasure Cruise is the best common ever printed prove me wrong

anyone else have bad consumer whore habits of buying cheap-but interesting-cards they *might* use while shopping online for what you need in a new deck?

is this a joke

I use it in Sakashima. Straight up removal is generally bad. Blue planeswalker removal is bad. So I answer both problems while grabbing back a Clever Impersonator or Metamorph. It can also give me Gilded Drake.

>You are forced to play a monocolor commander you don't already run.
Immediately tossing out all monored since I've built a ton of that and tend to have similar builds (damage, furnace of rath, chaos, etc).
Going to avoid white too. Feel like I've done most of the interesting stuff there. Shoutouts to Sensei Golden-Tail and Gerrard for being really fun, though.

>Blue: Sakashima or Kaho. I really love Kaho, but I prefer her in the 99 of a multicolor deck. Never built clone tribal Sakashima but it seems pretty fun.
>Black
Macar, maybe? Not a lot left I'm really motivated to do in monoblack, maybe Yahenni.
>Green
Yisan, probably. Monogreen's probably the one I've done least, come to think of it. Note that I'm counting online brews for this, though.