WIP - Work in Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw [Open]

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM [Open]

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU [Open]

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo [Open]
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Panther, I need Charlie Zone status. Report!
youtube.com/watch?v=YzWP-C8oDPw [Open]

>Previous Threads:
→ #
→ #
→ #
→ #
→ #
→ #
→ #
→ #
→ #

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ukcg7vS-GTE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Opinions please, aiming for system shockish skitarii

So, before I go any further with painting or making more like this, what do you guys think of my first actual attempt at putting these together?

The Citadel glue didn't work on any of the metal pieces I had, so I'm gonna do more of these plastic ones for now.

I figured with all the leftover plastic from their casings, I could use it to make sort of a rubble-like terrain in a few weeks.

>The Citadel glue didn't work on any of the metal pieces I had, so I'm gonna do more of these plastic ones for now.
If you're using Citadel PLASTIC Glue, then it ain't really surprising it didn't really work on anything other than plastic. Other than that, your little laddie looks prety good. I really like the look of the old DEldar models.

Working out some stuff on my scouts

>chaos helmets
>chaos pauldrons
>Ork backpack

Which chapter is this, user?

>Using a model as part of a base
D-did it break?

The fuck is that supposed to be

Loyalists through and through

Catching up on painting some kitbash plague marines. These guys have been on hold forever and now there's new death guard on the way.
Woe is me

Still working on my Van Saar gang using scions, its working ok-ish

Also some blight king plague marine conversions that I am losing faith in.
I need to cover those nurgly nipple, but I don't want to bulk them up much more

Sorry for potato cam

I'd give them combi bolters an put them on 40mm bases.

Works better at termies.

Yeah, I debated it. They stand about a half head above a normal marine and I have a few janky fine cast marines that are a little shorter. My game plan is to have them hang out with my lord
Or I'll hold off until the new release and see if it's worth completing them to actually use

Just wait a month mate. The DG release is upon us.

>see if it's worth completing them to actually use
Custom shit is always fun

I converted up some DV chosen to fill my plague marines guard, between those, the old metals, FW conversion kits and the new line I might have a army without a single dupe.

Painting Greyfax, beautiful model but..

>Recess detail on the black.

WHY IS THIS A THING!?

I just can't make this look good no matter how hard I try.

On a side note, anyone got a good guide on painting black cloth? Not a big fan of how mine has turned out.

Paint dark blue, shade black.

Daily progress update. Brightened up the blue armor. Time to fix my gold and then it's highlight city.

I could use some advice today - Duncan recommends cleaning the mistakes on gold details with liberator gold as well as doing the edge highlighting in liberator. Im concerned that the white gold will be at odds with the rest of the warm gold. Does it end up evening out when the main gold bits are edged?

Is doing nurgle bikers as horse riders possible?

Brighter edges help it stand out more. As long as you do it thin enough it shouldn't contrast too much.

In the meantime, you should really touch up those flames, man.

And there's the butt. Im getting excited that he's starting to look legit.

user it looks 1,000,000 times better than it did last night.

But fuck off with the 'daily progress' bullshit.

Yeah. I have some other dudes with fire bits, I was gonna do theirs and the two braziers first to test some tactics then come back to it. Im not happy with it but I'm very concerned with making it worse.

>wip thread
>fuck off with your wip

Not that user, and nah you first m8

Well the issue is that they'd be nearly twice as tall, but it's possible

I don't mean to spam. Im trying to stay on track and make sure I have someone check me if I'm fucking up along the way.

You're fine, bud. It's called a WIP thread for a reason.

>It's called a WIP thread for a reason.
Bloke must've been from /40k/general, seeing as all they do over there is complain about 40k... and the general, assuming that /WIP/ is for complaining about WIP is an easy mistake.

Had an idea for an Eldar army - very stylised, going for a Sin City or Schindler's List sort of look. All black and white, with one part of the model bright red for contrast. This is what I've done so far just messing around, what do you lads think?

You should be even more dramatic with the darker parts, and I'd so some shading on the red cloth too.

>>dem shiny black helmets
I dig it. Cool scheme for wraiths. I can kinda imagine them standing like statues until roused by someone unlucky.

Idea is solid, but i'd work some contrast in on the bodies themselves, maybe black soul stones or sharper white highlights.

As is they look like you primed white, started the loincloth, varnished the helmets and then left.
Looks unfinished rather than stylised.

Yep, definitely needs deeper shading. The red cloth is just a basecoat and a wash at the moment, need to find a way to fit in in with the rest of the model.

Thank you, they do look a bit stony. I put it down to my poor blending.

Yeah, they're still very WIP. I think if I go back in, edge highlight with pure white and then shade the recesses with a pure black it'll look a little better. The black soulstones is a good idea as well. I also need to get the transitions on the greys smoother, they're pretty patchy atm.

Looking for advice on painting skin tones other than white. I usually use Cadian Fleshtone > wash with Reikland > drybrush/highligh with Cadian to bring the color back up and it usually works pretty well. but I've got some models that I want to do black and asian skin tones too. How do I do that without it looking like shit?

Ih an done those specifically, maybe work on the shield runes, dunno how but if can make them pop more that'd do great.

Be sure not to make all the stones black n glossy though, too much'll take away the impact.

dark brown, purple wash, layer brown, highlight with a light brown, I used dryad bark with highlights of gorthor brown for my dudes

Dude, fuck you. this is a /wip/ thread. if you arent willing to look at WORK IN PROGRESS models, FUCK OFF.

youre good bro.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ukcg7vS-GTE

awesome thanks!

kinda want that Necron hoodie

Starting to paint/assemble my ghost ark tomorrow... been putting it off because I've heard it can be a pain in the butt, and its my first vehicle. Any advice on how to get motivated on daunting or intimidating projects?

Can't help you much with the motivation, but it might be a good idea to keep a few rubberbands or something like that handy.

Make sure you do it in sub assemblies to give yourself less work, my dude.

Make a plan.

Look the instructions over thoroughly.

Note what'll be hard to get at and clean up every damn mold line beforehand, it'll be a pain to do after and will nearly always have you chipping and scuffing other bits once assembled.

Dry assembly, fit shit together before even looking at the glue.

What kit(s) can I get a good book or scrolls for a renegade Librarian from? Also, I hate the look of psychic hoods; any suggestions for an alternative appearance to them?

Flagellants my man. You get a bunch of books, scrolls and hanging keys/hammers/skulls to use and the kit itself is fairly reasonable for 10 guys in robes.

Youre fucking autistic, you twat

>But fuck off with the 'daily progress' bullshit.
>In a WIP thread
kill thyself.

For the life of me I cannot find anything that can be modified into seeker missiles for my custom Remora drone.

I'm also having trouble thinking of ideas on how to make my regular Crisis suit look more like a Commander. I have such a big fucking mental block right now, I can't even come up with a pose. Doesn't help that I've had a really shit day neither. Any help?

>For the life of me I cannot find anything that can be modified into seeker missiles for my custom Remora drone.
From looking at the image that I pulled up on google they are pretty boring looking regular missiles.
If you have any IG player around maybe you can get some spares from a heavy weapons crew?
Failing that you can get munitions in various sizes from Anvil Industries and Zinge industries last I checked.
Another option would be to put a plastic rod into a drill machine and sand one side into a cone shape.

>I'm also having trouble thinking of ideas on how to make my regular Crisis suit look more like a Commander. I have such a big fucking mental block right now, I can't even come up with a pose. Doesn't help that I've had a really shit day neither. Any help?
You can steal some ideas from other conversions. Or check the Tau commander from the first few Dawn of War video games out.
Usually adding a few extra antenna or optic of some kind or a different headshape work well.

After writing that I spent the last ten minutes looking for this pdf.
This is an old conversion guide on building the old DoW commander.
Maybe this helps you.

For poses I'd just looks at some artwork. Heroically pointing the direction or jumping into the fray is the usual.
For tau you could also go with super dynamic evasive maneuvers.

where u get that dread from? i know its forgeworld buts its OOP

I got it a few years ago off ebay, it's probably a recast, but it isn't noticeable if it is

That's beautiful, I might actually build that.

Thank you very much for your help, I'll give your options a good look-see. For the commander you mentioned extra bits. I have about 4 of those objective markers you get in stealthsuit boxes I was going to use ala wings of sorts. Got an old commander metal head too. Want to add some armour plates perhaps, simple slabs of plasticard? Like the ones on his legs. Now I'm thinking maybe.. one leg propped up and guns akimbo, laying into the enemy?

>Now I'm thinking maybe.. one leg propped up and guns akimbo, laying into the enemy?
Yeah that could work.

I also wound this in one of my old folders. It's German, but may still be of some use to you. There's a page with commander conversion in there too.

Thoughts?

Brilliant! Especially the reposing instructions. Don't need to know german when the pictures tell me everything I need to know.

I'm going to use a plain ork shoulderpad to do a gorget too. Hopefully with some bulk, he'll look the part. I'm not using any other crisis suits in the army but I want him to look like a modified, higher ranking crisis suit regardless.

Whats your current project you have on hold but really want finished?

I've got most of a deathwatch unit to bang out that I put on hold to work on the triumvirate characters. Stupid, sexy characters are just too fun to paint. How can veterans compare?

My Helbrute. I wanna magnetize all of his guns before I finish assembling and painting him, but I'm just too busy to work on him lately and I don't even know where I can find magnets the right size. I'm hesitant to order them online because I can't hold them in my hand and see their size in comparison to my 'brute's weapon slots before I buy them.

Near as dammit finished, I might just varnish them as is. What think you?

I got a pathfinder team I need to assemble but I gotta do some planning on how to go about it while making sure I can swap loadouts properly via magnetizing. I'm really dragging my heels on it

Spent about half an hour on this. It's my first time trying to use multiple color layers.
Used apple barrel paints.
C&c?

>What think you?
Nice painting.
I feel like you missed an opportunity to vary the poses though.
I know they are snapfit, but at least a few arm swaps would have been possible.

Regardless, they look good. Just spruce up the bases and you're golden.

How's he looking, tg?

>The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.jpg

Looks okay until you get to the helmet
Looks like you just glopped paint onto his face

>Whats your current project you have on hold but really want finished?

I just finished the Imperial Bastion these ladz will be standing on, but I have to put them on hold to finish a few replacement models for other squads first. Moments after this picture was taken, I found the Mk VI's missing rokkit chukka.

So my box of these guys just showed up.

The metal bits are okay, but they need a fuckload of trimming to stick on the plastic legs. The join is solid, though, not nearly as fiddly as the old GW skellies.

Most of them. No workspace.

Got a partially assembled Knight, two Dreadnoughts, and 30 Marines of varying unit types to get together. I've run out of corks and, even more so, run out of storage space. And I have no actual workstation at the moment.

I have a D&D campaign starting next week as DM, and I'm working to paint a character mini for each of the players. I don't expect to have more than one ready for the first session, but here is my progress so far with the human ranger archer.

Sorry about the photo quality. Didn't want to drag out my DSLR for a quickie shot.

Started basecoating my conscripts

(Almost) done, just needs the base. It ended too pink and the armor edges have too much contrast maybe and some lines are a bit thick so I'm thinking of a way to blend them with a wash or something a bit.

Probably scouts...
...like he fucking said.

Get the fuck out shitlord

I like... some of these things... The drum mag is nice. The ammo belt is nice. The slit helms are a bit odd, but I could see a black templar neophyte type medieval theme there. I can see what you were going for with the shoulders, but they just look off.

The special helmet head (sigmarine?) looks pretty bad, IMO. Especially with the iron halo on his back behind it. What are you going for here?

Too many plants for a FW. Thus, their scheme would match a world that once was. I like it, but just a consideration.
Maybe red insignia.

Anyone got suggestions for how to get a pearly opalescent paintjob going?

I've got about 40 sisters of battle I got off eBay that need to be stripped and painted along with three immolators and one exodus that need assembly
on the WHFB side I've got 100 or so Dark Elves sitting on sprues waiting to be assembled and painted

Still trying to get better. I think my brushes are shit quality, but might be I'm just shit too (I have really poor eyesight even with glasses so I think I'm laying on paint too thick because I don't see it build up)

I also need to build a light box

You're the first other person I've seen with Fireteam: Zero stuff, good taste user.

You can cut out the hassel and buy some jacquard pearl ex powdered pigments and mix it with some clear coat.

I got the warchest, so I figured I might as well start painting with them as I have 2 whole extra sets of each family of monsters that won't see play. They're amazing models, I love their aesthetics. Just hope I can get good enough that the play models will be of a good standard. The model doesn't look half bad in daylight.

And I forgot the pic. Excuse the crappy iPhone collage bullshit.

Sweet, thanks user.

Started and finished today. Grindin' em out.

Got some advice in the last thread about making my Guild Ball captain's hair look better. I think it came out pretty good

The original for reference. I guess I've never really done anything other than black or dark brown hair, so blonde was a little harder to figure out

I recommend using perhaps a seraphim sepia wash on top of the blonde hair to give it some shading and depth. Or reikland fleshshade? Something along those lines.

Maybe the pants could be a sort of dark reddish brown?

That looks way better than last time you posted it, well done.

Oh whoops - yep exactly what I wanted to see on the original!

Currently assembling some Wood Elf Eternal Guard and I wanted to get some feedback before I start cutting away at them.

The stock shield on the left has a silly swirl that looks like it would need to repaired after every battle so I was thinking of cutting it off and rounding the stump. I'd only need to cut 30 shields.

Would it be an improvement or should I leave them as is?

What's Veeky Forums's opinion on these guys? A bit pricy for the "good quality", but I'm toying with the idea of grabbing a few of the $15 ones for my active campaign.

Anyone tried to paint them afterwards? Only one I recall is the "sandy" posting a few WIP back.

Elf shit is supposed to be stupid

If you still want to cut it, I suggest a diagonal cut against the first corner rather than that flat cut. Something appears to be tied to that protuberance so I suggest giving it more length to grow fat so the design doesn't appear as though that tie could easily slip off

I've got 2 that my buddy bought and wants to paint. Haven't had a chance to sit down with them yet. I'll be honest, I don't think they're really worth it unless you REALLY want to make a mini for your character and have them looking EXACTLY the way you want instead of just using a more generic or slightly more inaccurate one.

He bought the cheapest quality option and they have a gritty, sandy texture to them and almost no detail. Like seriously, the faces are just a gritty flat area so I hope he didn't put much time into their expression.

I'm sure that the higher price options come out better quality, or at least they fucking better. That said I think they're too pricey for what you get. For $15 I could get a bunch of Reaper/Wizkids models and they're probably going to be the same quality as a single $30 mini

Made a couple of mock ups quickly for you user

I want to make a Iron Warriors dreadnought but it seems that FW doesnt sell those chaos naughts anymore :(

its a bummer, those things looked fantastic (way better than the helbrutes holy shit)